pixeltracker

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread- Page 3

WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#50WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:50am

Is the music in the same vein as Grey Gardens or Far From Heaven - or something completely different?

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#51WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:52am

Different.  This is a more aggressive score.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#52WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 1:01am

I'm seeing it late in the run (August 5th I think I got tickets the day it went onsale) and Whizzer has made me even more excited! 

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 6/29/16 at 01:01 AM

pc1145N
#53WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 1:19am

I agree that the show needs to be tightened but as usual, Whizzer got it right. It's fantastic!

For a first ever performance, it was great. I can't wait to see what it's going to look like in a few weeks.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#54WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 2:23am

Ugh

I. Need. To. See. This.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#55WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 4:33am

Sounds thrilling!

BwayGeek2 Profile Photo
BwayGeek2
#56WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 7:27am

Totally agree with Whizzer. We had an amazing time.  Patti and Christine were phenomenal - both were in great voice and both have gorgeous numbers, especially in the second act. Christine's "Pink" made me tear up.  They're in great shape for a first preview.  Going to go back in a few weeks hopefully to see what changes they've made.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#57WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 8:04am

This sounds so exciting!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#58WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 10:06am

Some more thoughts this morning:

I think Frankel, Korie and Wright have done a good job balancing the writing of a double star vehicle, allowing the leading ladies to show off and send their fans into estatic states of diva worship with presenting a serious, adult entertainment that examines powerful business women, economics, the role women's beauty in society, etc. 

For example, the show begins with a blackout and then lights up on LuPone and Ebersole in spotlights, seated at their vanities, applying make up. A skrim rises slowly, allowing for the entrance applause to play out before they start in on their Prologue duet.

The following scene takes place in 1937 at Arden's boutique. The shopgirls are singing "Behind the Red Door" while they assist customers. All of a sudden...Miss Arden is coming! Miss Arden is coming! And here! She! Is! Ebersole appears at the top of the staircase, decked to the nines and shouts out, "I'm Here!" before proceeding to walk down the staircase taking "Behind the Red Door" home to an exciting finish. She got massive re-entrance applause with this old fashioned star entrance. 

Not to be left out in the cold, the next scene takes place in New York Harbor where a gangplank rolls onstage. LuPone, equally decked out, steps out at the top of the plank and exclaims, "It's good to be in New York!" She then sings "Back on Top" as makes her way down the plank and around the Harbor. Another thrilling star entrance with re-entrance applause and LuPone dazzling on a tricky vocal line. 

By this point we're 12 minutes into the show and my poor little gay heart might not be able to handle much more of this without the smelling salts, but all of this isn't indulgence for indulgence's sake. These women are larger than life and Titans of industry. Of course they could behave this way and the audience can worship them the way all their clients worship their makeup products. The songs work as both vocal show off set pieces as well as character-enriching moments that establish mood, time and place. The creators walk a fine line, and for me they succeeded.  

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#59WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 10:12am

Have had my tickets for July 30 for months and just booked the hotel yesterday...  Can't wait!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#60WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 10:28am

These posts have me looking at flights. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#61WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 10:49am

Wow, this has gotten me very excited. When was the last time we had a real diva star vehicle like this?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#62WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 10:52am

Kad said: "Wow, this has gotten me very excited. When was the last time we had a real diva star vehicle like this?

Buyer and Cellar maybe? wink

Updated On: 6/29/16 at 10:52 AM

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#63WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 11:24am

So exciting to hear strong buzz coming from the first preview. I am sure with David Stone attached it will be transferring.  Ill be there July 13 and this has only built my anticipation. Thanks for all the early details Whizzer!

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado
Updated On: 6/30/16 at 11:24 AM

Hum a tune Profile Photo
Hum a tune
#64WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 11:51am

Saw the show last night… It is a great showcase for two divas. Patti's Eastern European accent make it difficult to understand some lyrics until you get accustomed to it. I do think,  as a previous poster mentioned, that they should cut the scene at the end where the two ladies meet. It may be challenging for the audience but the scene, as is, seems contrived.  Especially since the women purposely avoided each other in the rest of the show.  I enjoyed act 2 more than act one.  Also interesting,  but not mentioned in the show, is the fact that earlier this month Revlon bought out Elizabeth Arden,  putting an intriguing twist on the end of the show.

Hum a tune Profile Photo
Hum a tune
#65WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 11:51am

Double post

Updated On: 6/29/16 at 11:51 AM

LightsOut90
#66WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 11:52am

how long was the first preview?

Hum a tune Profile Photo
Hum a tune
#67WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 11:56am

2 hr. 30min. With 15 minute intermission 

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#68WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 11:58am

Hum a tune said: " Saw the show last night… It is a great showcase for two divas. Patti's Eastern European accent make it difficult to understand some lyrics until you get accustomed to it. I do think,  as a previous poster mentioned, that they should cut the scene at the end where the two ladies meet. It may be challenging for the audience but the scene, as is, seems contrived.  Especially since the women purposely avoided each other in the rest of the show.  I enjoyed act 2 more than act one.  Also interesting,  but not mentioned in the show, is the fact that earlier this month Revlon bought out Elizabeth Arden,  putting an intriguing twist on the end of the show."

The two women never met in real life (which has been mentioned in several of the features on the show), so I'm surprised there's a scene where they DO meet.

There's an amazing anecdote in Lindy Woodhead's book about how Miss Arden took some friends/associates for a stroll past Helena Rubinstein's salon on Fifth Avenue right after Rubinstein died. She looked at the store, sighed "Poor Helena," and then they went to lunch. (I actually laughed out loud when I read that on the subway.)

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Liza's Headband
#69WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:02pm

Theatreboy49 said: "So exciting to hear strong buzz coming from the first preview. IT will definitely be transferring and it hasnt been confirmed but a close friend at the goodman has alluded that they may even have a theatre lined up. It is the largest show in budget that Goodman has done in recent history, if ever. Ill be there July 13 and this has only built my anticipation. Thanks for all the early details Whizzer!

"

Correct. They've had one tentatively lined up for at least a month now, if not longer. For those who are patient enough, I'd hold off on going all the way to Chicago and wait for it to come here in Spring 2017. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#70WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:32pm

The 2016-17 award season is so so exciting already WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread

Just got my tickets to see this during it's closing weekend in Chicgao. 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#71WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 12:45pm

Your sharp comment on the score being more aggressive made me think of both "Daddy's Girl" from GREY GARDENS and Pasquale's stunningly performed "I Never Knew" from FAR FROM HEAVEN.  Am I in the ballpark?  They are songs with great energy and driving purpose, even if the purpose is to clarify feelings.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#72WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 1:01pm

If Friedrich Schiller could get away with writing a scene in his 1800 play "Mary Stuart" in which a final confrontation takes place between Mary Queen of Scots and Queen Elizabeth I, who never met in real life, then surely Frankel, Korie & Wright can write a scene in which Helena Queen of Rubinstein and Queen Elizabeth Arden square off. I think it's a regal idea.

I'm of half a mind to pop off to Chicago.

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#73WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 1:24pm

Auggie27, the score is closer to GOING PLACES  in  energy  and drive. ..not surprising given these are two driven women  in  running corporations in Manhattan. 

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#74WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread
Posted: 6/29/16 at 2:25pm

Those first 12 minutes alone sound worth the price of admission. Just hearing descriptions I am reeling.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated