Hamilton - Clean edit

richsmo
#1Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 10:38am

Excited to see that the clean edit of Hamilton obc is being released this week -- http://amzn.to/29egBsr  I am tired of quickly turning the volume down in the car when driving the kids!

Does anyone know exactly how clean it will be? I would guess they are leaving in d@mn, h3ll, and just taking out s- and f- words?  Also, I don't know how these recordings usually work -- did they record the cast member singing an alternate word/phrase, or do they just mute the volume in the middle of the song?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 10:42am

From my experience with "cleaned" music, they just delete the words in question. I don't think they mute the whole song though - I believe that orchestrations, sound effects, background singers, etc would still be audible, and the word itself is the only thing that's edited out. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 10:44am

If you have to quickly turn the music down when you're listening to something with your kids, why don't you try explaining to them what it is you're turning down and why it's ok for them to say it but not kids, or just listen to something else?

richsmo
#4Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 10:59am

Listen to something else - LOL. What, the Wiggles?

I explain that in our family we set standards of speech and behavior that we try to live up to. And we try not to pass judgement on others, but need to realize for ourselves that what we hear and see can affect us. Yes, I should probably turn down the volume when it's just me listening also, but I don't know how to say no to that.

Liza's Headband
#5Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 11:20am

In this version, the vocal track will just drop out when a swear word is sung or spoken just as any normal mainstream song with explicit lyrics does on the radio. The music itself will continue playing behind them. Shouldn't be too alarming or noticeable for your kids, and it won't impact the quality/integrity of the recording. Enjoy. 

After Eight
#6Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 11:21am

The problem is that it needs to be "cleaned" in the first place.

There's proof right there that there's something wrong (actually, there's plenty wrong) here.

How nice to know that they're bringing in schoolchildren to see this, and that it is being used to "teach" history.

What a world.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#7Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 12:25pm

Someone recently had another thread about this edited version, and I listed every use of swears (I don't have the list in front of me at the moment). There's (i believe) 11 occurrences throughout the show, and I believe 7 or so of those are the word "shit." Now, I don't have ?children but I probably would explain to them that to use that word (or other swear words) in many public places (either in school or professionally, or just with people you don't know very well) is rude and inappropriate. However I don't believe that hearing swear words or using them morally corrupts you, as OP seems to imply.

i assume this edit is the one that was used on NPR when it streamed for the week before the album was released. If so, I barely even noticed the deletions (since, in a score that is almost 2.5 hours long and with as many words as Hamilton has, 11 words isn't very much).

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Broadway Forever2
#8Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 12:35pm

I don't think the the 11  counted words like "hell" or "damn" though since those aren't considered explicit curse words. I'm not sure if those are edited out of the clean version. 

Updated On: 7/5/16 at 12:35 PM

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#9Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 12:42pm

I would like a version where the offending words are pronounced, "dampersandn", "hthree'll", "shyphen" and "fhyphen".

richsmo
#10Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 1:12pm

Not sure that I implied that "hearing swear words or using them morally corrupts you." I would defintely say it can desensitize you. Anyway, Hamilton the Musical itself seems to imply that the inabilty to control one's speech can lead to moral decline in other areas...

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#11Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 1:27pm

oooooooookay.

Anyway, the first time I heard Hamilton was on the NPR free listen, and part of me still really loves the edit on "Washington on your side" where the music drops out and they sing "Southern! [Dramatic Pause] DEMOCRATIC REPUBLICANS!"

hork Profile Photo
hork
#12Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 1:29pm

After Eight said: "The problem is that it needs to be "cleaned" in the first place.

There's proof right there that there's something wrong (actually, there's plenty wrong) here.

That is a problem. What are we going to do about all the plays and movies that aren't G-rated? Ban then all, because After Eight's sensitive virgin ears can't handle them!  What is the world coming to when anyone can go up on a stage and say words that are part of common speech and which just about everyone uses?!

After Eight
#13Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 1:33pm

"What is the world coming to when anyone can go up on a stage and say words that are part of common speech and which just about everyone uses?!"

Then if there's nothing wrong with it, then why is there need for a "clean" edition?

Think before you post.

Phantom4ever
#14Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 1:37pm

I played "What'd I Miss" for my middle school summer class today. They were supposed to pull out the verbs and label them as action or linking. I did not recall any naughty words and I admittedly was too lazy to check before class. Luckily the bell rang right as the song got to the word "ass".  The kids went crazy and thought it was the best thing in the world. I just told them that it wasn't an appropriate word for class and to move on.  I would love an edited version of Hamilton for classroom use. 

And with 7th grade history, they spend a lot of time on the Federalists and the Democratic Republicans. I would love for them to hear "Washington On Your Side" in class. What's the big deal if the "mother****in" gets deleted or replaced?  They will be able to hear it soon enough and plenty of the middle school kids do listen to Hamilton on their own. But call me Holden Caulfield if you want but I'm all for kids keeping their innocence as long as possible. Some of you just want to keep writing swear words on the stairs at Phoebe's school smh!

After Eight
#15Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 1:41pm

"I would love an edited version of Hamilton for classroom use. "

I know this is terribly antiquated, but how about a book?

verdigris
#16Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 1:45pm

After Eight said: ""What is the world coming to when anyone can go up on a stage and say words that are part of common speech and which just about everyone uses?!"

Then if there's nothing wrong with it, then why is there need for a "clean" edition?

Think before you post.

"

There is no clean when it comes to history! I'm a history teacher, and it is impossible to avoid swear words, violence and explicit themes. It's in the ancient sources, the modern sources - you name it! Sometimes you do have to be selective but it's impossible (and ridiculous) to censor it all. Hamilton is pretty tame next to the resources I have had to use! 

Hamilton is a great resource as it breaks up the tediousness of constant written sources (and caters for students who auditory/musical learners). Plus it can initiate great class research and discussions on historical accuracies/inaccuracies. I'd love to integrate it in to a unit/lesson at some point.

Phantom4ever
#17Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 1:50pm

After Eight, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were not being sarcastic,since in that case your post would be horribly obnoxious and condescending. 

Books are not antiquated. In fact, they learn their grammar concepts from an actual grammar book. They use it every day. But their class is three hours, and I differentiate as much as I can. So spending four minutes playing a song that employs some cross-curricular content as well is certainly not a bad thing. It gets them excited about verbs, excited about writing, excited about history, excited about theater. 

Our school also produced In the Heights last year, so we were already LMM groupies. But in 180 minutes of class time, approximately FOUR of those minutes were spent on Hamilton. It's just not that big a deal. 

Oh wait. I just realized that perhaps After Eight assumed that I would REPLACE my books with the cast recording of Hamilton?  Yikes, I would have to create a class around it first. 

Updated On: 7/5/16 at 01:50 PM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#18Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 1:55pm

After Eight said:

Think before you post.

There is no "need" for it. There's just a desire for it. Same reason there's a demand for school editions for shows, and TV and airplane edits of movies. Parents want versions they can show their kids. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the uncensored versions for adults. Cautious parenting is not the same thing as moral superiority. Think before you post.

After Eight
#19Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 2:16pm

"It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the uncensored versions for adults."

It doesn't mean there's anything not wrong either. 

I also wonder which version is being presented to the schoolchildren when they see it in the theatre.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 2:23pm

richsmo said: "Listen to something else - LOL. What, the Wiggles?

I explain that in our family we set standards of speech and behavior that we try to live up to. And we try not to pass judgement on others, but need to realize for ourselves that what we hear and see can affect us. Yes, I should probably turn down the volume when it's just me listening also, but I don't know how to say no to that.

Yes, listen to the Wiggles if that is what your kids listen to and listen to Hamilton when they aren't around. Problem solved.

Just give the world Love.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#21Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 2:53pm

After Eight said: ""It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the uncensored versions for adults."

It doesn't mean there's anything not wrong either. 

Obviously it does, or parents wouldn't bother showing their kids the censored versions. It's not like they're clamoring for kid-friendly editions of Kim Kardashian's sex tape.

Trina55
#22Hamilton - Clean edit
Posted: 7/5/16 at 5:46pm

I listen to Hamilton with my 5yo (started when he was 4) and don't bother turning down the volume. In my experience the less attention you draw to it, the less they notice. Admittedly for this one in particular, I just refrain from singing along on those lines, and the words are so fast he usually can't make them out anyway! I used to skip "Say No To This," but eventually he heard it, and the sexual content was so far over his head it didn't matter. I will say I'm actually much more concerned about things like "the cousin committed suicide" than I am about curse words, so the "clean" version isn't going to help me much. If I didn't already own the cast album I might choose this version instead, but I don't really feel a need for it.  (That being said, I see a definite use for it in schools and I'm glad it's being released!!)

Latest Posts