shuffle along cast cd

bryan
#50shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 7:44pm

hi do not judge me but I think the real reson that they will not prvese is that maybae they do not want to save they history in black muisc

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#51shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 8:07pm

Bryan

Please do not try and make a big sociological statement over this. It did not get made because the show flopped and because  no one wanted to put up a bundle of cash to do it. They would have no guarantee if they would get their money back. These were the reasons pure and simple..Do not try and read a sinister message into this as many shows do not get recorded.

Poster Emeritus

dissimilate
#52shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:10pm

bryan said: "hi do not judge me but I think the real reson that they will not prvese is that maybae they do not want to save they history in black muisc

"

I disagree. I think it had everything to do with the show's finances. Although I hear that most shows these days raise a specific portion of their funding for the cast recording, so I'm actually surprised if shows don't receive recordings these days.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#53shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:22pm

Rudin has the money for a cast recording. To think he couldn't put it out if he wanted to to is ridiculous. 

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#54shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:25pm

Maybe they've got plans to make revisions or something, and don't want to commit an unfinished product to history?

Jordan Catalano
#55shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:32pm

No. I spoke with several people today and there is no recording. It's not going to happen. And the cast is PISSED. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#56shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:35pm

The cast should be pretty pissed off about what's going on with this show.  For a show that was nominated for best musical, you would think someone would put out some money for a recording.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#57shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 9:55pm

I thought the main problem was securing the rights to the songs, rather than Rudin not wanting to fund a cast recording he may not see a profit on?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#58shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 10:06pm

icecreambenjamin said: "The cast should be pretty pissed off about what's going on with this show.  For a show that was nominated for best musical, you would think someone would put out some money for a recording."

Things seemed really disorganized. This and what happened to their social media? Nothing in weeks, not even on closing night.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#59shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 10:16pm

Jeez this just fizzled out and vanished.  What a shame.

BroadwayMan5
#60shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 10:45pm

Any reports from the final performance?

hes16
#61shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 10:58pm

The energy was so high!! It was so incredible! What a talented cast (all were in)!Billy Porter received a standing o in the middle of the show, and when all the male leads were together again later, they received one as well. In the audience I spotted Joel Grey, Andrew Rannels and of course Savion Glover and George Wolfe. The two of them relieved entrance applauses when they entered the theater. At the end of the show, Glover and Wolfe went up along with all the backstage hands went up for the final bow. Wolfe said a few words at end.shuffle along cast cd

bryan
#62shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 11:01pm

I am so sorry about want I said but I am just passion about my cast cd's of shows. I hope you guys can forgive me.

Jordan Catalano
#63shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 11:07pm

You're good, Bryan. We love that you care so much about these things! shuffle along cast cd

LightsOut90
#64shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/24/16 at 11:23pm

again not a money issue, its a rights issue.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#65shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/25/16 at 12:37pm

With the talent involved, a recording of SHUFFLE ALONG could be very expensive; high six figures or higher when all is said and done. I just did a quick look at the Soundscans for some recent cast albums and some of the sales figures are sobering. The numbers here represent combined physical (CD) and digital sales. For revivals, I'm using the most recent production(s). Mmmm...I bought all of these.

FUN HOME  31,401

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO  1,811

THE KING AND I  19,623

THE VISIT  4,815

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF  7,436

BEAUTIFUL  102,366

WAITRESS  18,717

WAITRESS (SARA BAREILLES ALBUM)  88,673

FINDING NEVERLAND  28,717

SOMETHING ROTTEN  48,867

THE COLOR PURPLE  17,911

HAMILTON  600,437 (Couldn't leave that one out... )

Updated On: 7/25/16 at 12:37 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#66shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/25/16 at 12:44pm

LightsOut90 said: "again not a money issue, its a rights issue."

...For what song(s)? Much of the score is in the public domain. The score to the original Shuffle Along certainly is, as it was written prior to 1922.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 7/25/16 at 12:44 PM

BroadwayMan5
#67shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/25/16 at 1:35pm

I understand the cost concerns and I'm sure that's the reason but it's too bad... even if it doesn't make back its money from making it, shows that have cast albums live on so much longer and better in regional, community & school productions for years and decades to come

Updated On: 7/25/16 at 01:35 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#68shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/25/16 at 1:57pm

i agree with Kad, what issues could they have with the rights to the score? most of it is 95 years old. Like...what.

also, Roxy said "many shows do not get recorded." That may have been true (especially for flops) back in the day, but these days almost every Broadway musical receives a cast recording. The ones that usually don't are unsuccessful revivals. This past season the only shows not recorded were Dames at Sea, Spring Awakening, Shuffle Along and American Psycho (which was recorded in London). The previous season every musical that opened was recorded except Holler if You Hear Me.

So this show is definitely in the minority of not being recorded, and I think it's a downright shame.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

LaneBryant
#69shuffle along cast cd
Posted: 7/25/16 at 3:32pm

LightsOut90 said: "again not a money issue, its a rights issue.

And again, you have no idea what you're talking about......... #Foolish

"