pixeltracker

COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced- Page 5

COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced

rebeccmam31
#100COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/17/16 at 6:57am

persephone88 said: "Saw this last night with my family at Ford's and we all truly enjoyed it. Fantastic ensemble piece and the entire cast did a beautiful job seemlessly switching from one role to another. For a show with minimal props and set, they made you believe they were on that airplane, in that town hall, on that bus, etc. See it in the front of the balcony or front mezz because you will want to see the full scope of the stage as actors use the whole space and the staging makes certain scenes. I laughed a lot more than I expected - it is a warm and funny show but with a number of very moving moments throughout. And while it is set in the time frame of 9-11 and how that affected people who were "away" when that happened, it is really a broader story about our shared humanity in the scope of tragedy. Really uplifting - a little show with a lot of heart, and the cast was just great. This is not a blockbuster type show, but you will leave the theatre smiling."

What a lovely review! I think this will be our second show for our March trip. :)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#101COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/17/16 at 10:33am

massofmen said: "I have a bad feeling this show will get good reviews and close early. It seems like an Atlantic theater company show rather than a 1000 seat. Commercial broadway venture. 

Unless it wins the tony award for best musical (which seems like a long shot against groundhog day/comet/ dear evan hansen/ Amalie (if it comes in) anastasia/ Charlie and the chocolate factory) I feel like it will be a critics darling that fades away to regional theater land fairly quickly. 

"

I'm also worried about the large amount of shows opening in the Spring. It's a lot so far with a handful still not announced. One or two of these fantastic shows might get swallowed up.

Musicals opening this Spring:

The Great Comet

Dear Evan Hansen

Come From Away

Anastasia

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

A Bronx Tale

In Transit

Miss Saigon

Hello, Dolly

Groundhog Day

Plays:

The Little Foxes

Oslo

The Price

Burn This

The Glass Menagerie

Jitney

The Present

To Be Confirmed:

Amelie

War Paint

Spongebob

Sunset Boulevard

Indecent

When God Looked Away

The Master Builder

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#102COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/17/16 at 10:36am

ooppss, double post.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Oak2
#103COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 10:37am

Saw this during the matinee performance yesterday, and it was by far the best musical I've seen yet (which doesn't mean too much as I'm relatively new to this, but bear with me). It at least blew the 6 shows I had seen on my Broadway trip last month out of the water. Most of the positive things I could say have already been said, but still to reiterate - very touching and uplifting story despite such a huge tragedy being the backdrop, though it does have a few good serious and sad moments. Really feels like it gives such a full panorama of all the varying experiences among all the people involved, and it was impressive that it was able to be done with such a small cast. I had never heard of Jenn Colella before and didn't know she was already a big name, but she did amaze me during the show, and her solo song as the pilot was the peak to me.

The only "downside" I suppose I could call it would be the fact that, as South FL mentioned in his review, many of the songs do not give the audience a chance to applaud. On one hand, I like that this makes the show so fast-paced and really helps the tone in that you're just constantly going through all the different viewpoints of this. On the other hand, most audiences aren't going to know about this, and they're going to have the instinctual expectation that every show will have a pause afterwards for applause. The result was that for SO MANY songs, I had problems making out what was being said in the next scene because most of the audience began clapping as soon as the song ended while the actors immediately moved onto the next scene, and it would take a few seconds for the applauders to realize there wasn't a a pause and stop. Not sure if this is more a problem with the audience or the show, and I do think the lack of pauses helps its tone, but it would be nice of there was a way to let the audience know beforehand that they shouldn't clap after the songs here. I do feel at least a pause for applause should have been had after Colella's pilot song, as that one had the whole theater bursting into applause, only to them sheepishly quiet down while the next scene was already underway. I understand pacing, but you have to let the audience unleash that energy sometimes, especially with a performance like that!

Of course, at the end of the show it was probably the longest applause I'd ever seen for a show. Standing ovations for several minutes, even after the cast left as the band then took the stage and played to more applause. As people were leaving I overheard many people of all ages outright say that was the best musical and most beautiful show they had ever seen in their lives. 

The show really benefited from being in such a small, intimate setting as Ford's Theatre. I do hope the Schoenfeld will be intimate enough to give it, because this is NOT the kind of show that I think viewing from the rear of a far-off balcony would be good for - being, or at least FEELING close to the performers is vital to sharing all those experiences. I've never been to the Schoenfeld so I'll leave that debate to those who have, but I still hope that no matter what seat people get, they'll be able to feel like they're right there.

In short, definitely a fantastic show and a MUST-SEE while in Broadway. I understand it will have very tough competition this season from the likes of Evan Hanson, Great Comet, Anastasia, and Amelie, and to be fair I still need to see those, but I really do hope this show wins at the Tonys. At the very least this show deserves nominations. If it somehow gets snubbed or left behind I will be VERY upset! 

Updated On: 9/19/16 at 10:37 AM

Liza's Headband
#104COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:10am

You really should see its competition before proclaiming this musical the best thing since sliced bread. Within the context of an awards season, the shows do not operate in a vacuum. They have to be stacked up against their comparable competitors. I just find it astonishing that you're already calling a potential "snub" when you haven't even seen what it is up against.

Oak2
#105COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:14am

Deleted - I apologize - I had an autistic mental breakdown and devolved into a flame war with an evil troll on this site. The troll has since been blocked so it won't happen again. I apologize for disrupting and getting the board off topic.

Updated On: 9/19/16 at 11:14 AM

Oak2
#106COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:14am

Double Post. Not sure why this keeps happening.

Updated On: 9/19/16 at 11:14 AM

Liza's Headband
#107COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:20am

I already acknowledged that I understood I hadn't seen the others, but I've also seen enough comments and heard enough from people who have seen the other works that this is even better. 

You have every right to an opinion, and the ability to espouse that opinion. But there should be no tolerance for an uninformed opinion. Relying on the "comments" of others is not substantive enough to form an opinion. Now please, continue the personal attacks on me even as I attempt to elevate the conversation in the hopes of promoting a meaningful discussion on the merits of how to properly formulate, and subsequently convey, an opinion on the subjective art form of musical theatre.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#108COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:23am

Jesus, Headband, can you ever lay off for just one second?

Thanks for taking the time to write your wonderful and detailed review, Oak2. It was very thoughtful.

Oak2
#109COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:29am

Deleted - I apologize - I had an autistic mental breakdown and devolved into a flame war with an evil troll on this site. The troll has since been blocked so it won't happen again. I apologize for disrupting and getting the board off topic.

Updated On: 9/19/16 at 11:29 AM

Liza's Headband
#110COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:32am

Oak2 said: "My point still stands. I did not say I personally believe this show is better than the others. I said I have heard others say that it is, and nowhere did I say that specifically because of that, that I believe it is. Nor am I saying for a fact that if it does not get a nomination, that it will necessarily be wrong or that the other shows did not deserve it. I merely stated that I would be upset if it does not get a nomination, or some kind of acknowledgement of its power. This is not an uninformed opinion - this is an informed feeling I have due to the power and beauty of what I saw. Even if the other shows do happen to be better and win the nominations to the point that Come From Away does not get the nomination, I can still acknowledge that while also being upset that such a work does not get the acknowledgement I feel it would reserve, and that it might then suffer from lack of further attendance from a possible lack of acknowledgment."

Really? You didn't ever say this, "I will of course attempt to see the others if I can, but again, based on what I've heard from those who have seen the others along with this, and knowing my own standards, I doubt any of that would beat this show"?

Weird... I guess that was someone else. Well, thanks! This was fun! 

Oak2
#111COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:41am

Updated On: 9/19/16 at 11:41 AM

Liza's Headband
#112COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:45am

Yes, yes, yes! I'm well aware! I believe you made a very similar proclamation early last week. Looking forward to it...

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#113COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:48am

Liza's Headband said: "Yes, yes, yes! I'm well aware! I believe you made a very similar proclamation early last week. Looking forward to it...

"

Lmao. At least you know you're crazy. 

Updated On: 9/19/16 at 11:48 AM

Oak2
#114COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 11:56am

@Liza's Headband Never mind. After a shower and some thought, I have decided that you are too evil and too far beneath me for me to waste such energy on. You've already proven your hypocrisy in the past, and it seems you are so stupid and evil that even if I did point out anything, you'd just laugh at it, still insist you're right, and all that would result from it would be my further anger. I am autistic and it's hard for me to ignore things, but I shall do my best to remind myself to simply ignore anything you say, including directed to me, as invalid ramblings of something that doesn't deserve any acknowledgement whatsoever, So I retract my previous statement. If I find a way on this to block you so that I don't have to see any of your evil statements which might tempt me to lose myself, I shall do so. May you have better luck with future victims, but now to me at least, your words on anything and everything will fall into the void where they belong.

@BroadwayConcierge - Thank you for your remarks. I apologize for losing myself and causing a scene on this. As stated, I am autistic and find problems expressing myself, and especially in controlling myself in such situations. I shall try better in the future to prevent this.

Updated On: 9/19/16 at 11:56 AM

Liza's Headband
#115COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 12:07pm

Okay, drama queen. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#116COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/19/16 at 10:00pm

Oak2, in no way should you beat yourself up for losing it over some contretemps with the dreaded Headband. You've only had 5 weeks on this board to discover what most have known for a very long time: that the Headband is a black hole which will suck up all love and joy and warmth from every thread he gets his grubby fingers on. He is not worth a moment's thought or a moment's apology.

Believe us-- you're autistic self is very welcome here. Do hop in on any thread you care to comment on, lurking black holes notwithstanding.

downhillskier
#117COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 9/28/16 at 8:00pm

Wonderful uplifting show! Definitely see it if you are in DC. Great to experience a show of historical significance in the intimate, historic Ford's Theater. Great ensemble cast. This is a show I enjoyed when I saw it, though more importantly, it really has stuck with me 2 weeks later. We were fortunate to meet the actual Beverly and her husband  ( the pilot that Jenn Colella plays ) in the lobby of the theater. My suggestion is to do some research on the true story. There are interviews on youtube with Beverly Bass and some of the other real life people that the story is based on. Many of these people are attending performances. Beverly's story as the 1st American Captain of a comercial airlines is inspiring in it's own right. Add to that the wonderful story of generousity of the residents of NewFoundland in such a frighting period of time after the the 911 attacks. Glad we could snag tickets last minute!

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
#118COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 10/3/16 at 3:47pm

I can't make this Saturday's matinee so I put my ticket up for sale on StubHub, if anyone's interested. It's $100, a bit over face value, but not anywhere near what others are asking ($200 and $400). Update: Ticket sold! I hope it was someone from here.

What I want to know is, who is TweetyPie1?
Updated On: 10/3/16 at 03:47 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#119COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 10/3/16 at 4:02pm

I saw Come From Away this weekend. It's a heartfelt, exciting, thoroughly enjoyable hour and a half. It's going to be such a hard sell here, but I hope everyone who goes with cynicism in their heads is pleasantly surprised.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

sppunk
#120COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 10/8/16 at 10:53pm

Saw this today. I can't tell you the last time I had such an enjoyable time at a show. It's quick, witty, charming and the character movements very smart. 

It in a way reminded me of Once in style (infinitely better in execution and everything else). I am not sure how well it'll do in NYC as it's an ensemble piece on a fairly abstract premise but I'll be there to see it once again. 

GoblinKing2
#121COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 10/9/16 at 2:07pm

Saw this last week and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The fast and frenetic pace kept up by the ensemble was both dizzying and marvelous.  It also helped quickly move past the bits and characters that didn't quite work for me (I never warmed up to the romance, for example).  Loved Jenn, Kendra, and the Mayor.  Rodney Hicks' character always expecting the worst never failed to get a laugh.  The band after the curtain call had the entire theater (which was sold out) clapping and foot stomping, even me, and I'm one of those dull, dreary people who tries to analyze and observe the show as detached as possible and claps politely out of obligation.

That said, I share most of the others' view that it might not find an audience on Broadway.  A bit hokey and sentimental, probably works better in a smaller theater than a larger one.  Could definitely see it performing very well in the flyover states if it winds up on tour. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#122COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 10/15/16 at 12:04am

Seeing this tonight! Can't wait! :)

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#123COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 10/16/16 at 8:11am

Before I tell my thoughts of the show, let me talk about my interesting night getting there. So, my friend and I decided to walk to the theater after our dinner because it said on her phone the theater was 30 minutes away by foot. So, that's what we did at 6:30-6:40ish. Then, at 7:12, it turns out we were not even close, so we took an Uber. So, we stood at the Martin Luther statue at Dupont Circle to wait for our Uber. Then, our Uber driver called and a) it was muttered and b) he had a Nigerian accent, so neither of us had a clue what he was saying. We kept telling him go to the the Martin Luther statue, but he was like *mutter mutter*. By 7:28, I was seconds away from a freak out when we finally understood what he was saying: "Go to CVS." Turns out he parked AWAY AWAY across the street this whole time and he never even tried to come to us. Horrible.

So, we miraculously got there right as the show was starting around 7:38. And we got to our seats. BUT THEN, turned out a couple was sitting in our seats. But, they refused to get up besides showing the usher our tickets. Joke's on them: The usher gave us wonderful orchestra tickets. So, props to Ford for being so classy about it. 

We finally sat down to the show and I'm going to repeat what everyone said, it was so breathtaking, moving, funny, and gorgeous! All of the actors were equally phenomenal, engaging, and memorable. The music was beautiful, but unfortunately, most of them sounded the same. My favorites were definitely the Prayer song (almost made me cry, absoutlely beautiful), the bar song (my favorite scene), and the last two scenes. Unfortunately, I missed Jenn Collela's big solo because I had to use the restroom, so that was sad for me. I just adored the set. It was cozy and natural. The lighting was great and vibrant. The projections weren't that clear and could have been more (give us the 9/11 footage or something). NYC has a huge winner on its hands!

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#124COME FROM AWAY - Broadway run announced
Posted: 10/16/16 at 11:41am

Thanks everyone for the good reports so far. I have to say that I am really really looking forward to this one.  Got my tickets last week via the AMEX early access offer.  Uncharacteristically the seats were center orchestra for a change. Yay! 

Videos