pixeltracker

Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island- Page 4

Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#75Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 1:06pm

I agree that "5 out of 15 are POC" wasn't a...great thing for Scott Schwartz to say. Basically "Hey, least only 2 thirds of our cast for this musical that takes place in Egypt is white!"

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 7/26/16 at 01:06 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#76Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 1:19pm

gypsy101 said: "That lyric, "they cut of your ear..." was never included in any distributed version of the film Aladdin. it was erroneously left on the soundtrack.

"

No, that statement is erroneous. Trust me as a kid who saw it multiple times in the theatre and followed the story at the time, it was in the first theatrical release. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#77Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 1:19pm

I say this as someone who sees numbers for how many professional theatres across the country cast: American theatre is generally bad at nontraditional casting. Most of the time, unless regional theatres program shows with required roles for people of color- most often shows like West Side Story or Hairspray- they don't cast them very much. Unless it literally says in the script that that the ethnicity is non-white (and even then, every so often you get the issue of some theatre doing West Side Story without any Latinx actors or something), it will very likely go to a white actor.

Some of that is excusable for some theatres, the ones that cast locally in areas without lots of diversity.

But for a concert like this? In NYC? With material that lends itself well to diverse casting? Inexcusable.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 7/26/16 at 01:19 PM

neonlightsxo
#78Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 1:27pm

Scott Schwartz shouldn't have said anything at all. Now I know he's a bad director and a moron.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#79Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 1:31pm

hmm I could have sworn I had heard it was never in the film (I was an infant at the time of its original release). Either way, it was removed eventually (although the original lyric is much better than what replaced it).

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#80Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:16pm

I think the more important question here is: why is Stephen Schwartz letting his son sh*t all over his legacy?  Find a new director!

neonlightsxo
#81Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:18pm

Tag said: "I think the more important question here is: why is Stephen Schwartz letting his son sh*t all over his legacy?  Find a new director!"

He let him **** all over Hunchback too, so your guess is as good as mine.

sparepart973
#82Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:21pm

EricMontreal22 said: "gypsy101 said: "That lyric, "they cut of your ear..." was never included in any distributed version of the film Aladdin. it was erroneously left on the soundtrack.

"

No, that statement is erroneous. Trust me as a kid who saw it multiple times in the theatre and followed the story at the time, it was in the first theatrical release. 

So? I intend to say that the approach was racist from the get go. In fact, it seemed to have been toned down by then. In an interview with Alan Manken, he said that Disney turned down their initial drafts because their approach was too "edgy". I interpret that to be euphemism for racist. 

"

sparepart973
#83Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 3:23pm

gypsy101 said: "hmm I could have sworn I had heard it was never in the film (I was an infant at the time of its original release). Either way, it was removed eventually (although the original lyric is much better than what replaced it).

"

This version exists. It exited in the original VHS release and the original soundtrack. I think I might have it on cassette and video tape somewhere. It was removed and changed to what is sung currently because it caused an uproar. 

VintageSnarker
#84Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 4:39pm

Assuming that Schwartz is being completely genuine, and not backpedaling from not having even considered the issue of diversity in casting, I change my earlier position. If they were actually trying to come up with a diverse cast and this is the best they could do... Nope, not good enough.

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#85Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/26/16 at 4:49pm

trpguyy said: "A free public concert in a park on the tip of Long Island is a big deal?"

This concert may be happening in a park, but Bay Street Theatre is a big deal. It's not just a random place on Long Island. It's a prestigious institution in the heart of the Hamptons, with an extremely moneyed and influential creative and audience base. If anyone should know better, they should.

buhbuhbilly Profile Photo
buhbuhbilly
#86Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 12:20am

I'm surprised none of the cast has dropped from this.. That would really make a statement, and I think leave this piece in a position to really become a nice night with proper replacements.  

Updated On: 7/27/16 at 12:20 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#87Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 12:34am

elphaba.scares.me said: "trpguyy said: "A free public concert in a park on the tip of Long Island is a big deal?"

This concert may be happening in a park, but Bay Street Theatre is a big deal. It's not just a random place on Long Island. It's a prestigious institution in the heart of the Hamptons, with an extremely moneyed and influential creative and audience base. If anyone should know better, they should.

Idunno, their Grey Gardens looked and felt indistinguishable from the community theater production values of my youth, despite the presence of name performers. But of course, the community theater of my youth frequently cast people who weren't white. 

"

Updated On: 7/27/16 at 12:34 AM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#88Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 1:36am

sparepart973 said: "EricMontreal22 said: "gypsy101 said: "That lyric, "they cut of your ear..." was never included in any distributed version of the film Aladdin. it was erroneously left on the soundtrack.

"

So? I intend to say that the approach was racist from the get go. In fact, it seemed to have been toned down by then. In an interview with Alan Manken, he said that Disney turned down their initial drafts because their approach was too "edgy". I interpret that to be euphemism for racist. 

"

"

Oh man, I'm not weighing in on if it should have been a line in the song, or not.  Just that it WAS in the initial theatrical prints of Aladdin. 

CoolNameHere
#89Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 4:44am

sparepart973 said: "gypsy101 said: "hmm I could have sworn I had heard it was never in the film (I was an infant at the time of its original release). Either way, it was removed eventually (although the original lyric is much better than what replaced it).

"

This version exists. It exited in the original VHS release and the original soundtrack. I think I might have it on cassette and video tape somewhere. It was removed and changed to what is sung currently because it caused an uproar. 

"

I have an Original Soundtrack Recording on CD.  I got it in like early 90s.  And it does include the first version of the lyrics.  "cut off...."  I remember re-watching/relistening the film / soundtrack later, and thinking, "That's not the lyric I know."  Thought I was nuts, then I relistened to my CD, and it was there.

Liza's Headband
#90Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 10:17am

neonlightsxo said: "Tag said: "I think the more important question here is: why is Stephen Schwartz letting his son sh*t all over his legacy?  Find a new director!"

"

You also forgot the 2001 national tour of a "reimagined" GODSPELL (otherwise known as an 'abomination'Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island he directed. One of the most horrifying, distorted castrations of a well-known musical I've ever seen. 

neonlightsxo
#91Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 10:21am

Luckily, I didn't suffer through that, but I'll add it to the list.

broadwayguy91
#92Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 10:54am

Liza's Headband said: "neonlightsxo said: "Tag said: "I think the more important question here is: why is Stephen Schwartz letting his son sh*t all over his legacy?  Find a new director!"

"

You also forgot the 2001 national tour of a "reimagined" GODSPELL (otherwise known as an 'abomination'Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island he directed. One of the most horrifying, distorted castrations of a well-known musical I've ever seen. 

"

this 2011 tour, is it the same one as the Broadway production at Circle in the Square?

neonlightsxo
#93Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:04am

Nobody said 2011. Headband said 2001. Read numbers better.

Liza's Headband
#94Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:07am

2001 -- not 2011.

It was a non-equity tour that actually began in 2000 and ran through 2001. There were a slew of extremely questionable changes and revisions, all authorized only because Schwartz was directing, which attempted to further modernize the story; from adding in digital/electronic components to rearranging the entire score into a hybrid classic/punk rock & pop sound. Artistically speaking, it was a total failure and not true to its source material. Here's the only Playbill article I could about it from 2000: http://www.playbill.com/article/new-national-tour-cast-album-of-godspell-in-stores-jan-9-2001-com-93071

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#95Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:15am

elphaba.scares.me said: "This concert may be happening in a park, but Bay Street Theatre is a big deal. It's not just a random place on Long Island. It's a prestigious institution in the heart of the Hamptons, with an extremely moneyed and influential creative and audience base. If anyone should know better, they should."

As Erin Quill put it: https://fairyprincessdiaries.com/2016/07/23/the-prince-of-sag-harbor-egypt/

We also need to reach people who favor an Orange faced racist for President, and remind them that the world does not all look like Sag Harbor in the summer.

Theater is supposed to enlighten as well as entertain. Removing ethnic faces from ethnic stories is not what is going to help America stay on track as a world power – it is going to deepen the divide.

Plus, these are educated people – don’t we think one or two or twenty is going to do a double take when the leads walk out?

Give the crowd some credit – these are the people that buy HAMILTON tickets! Like, they pay ridiculous amounts to a ticket broker without batting an eye, they don’t have friends in the cast that can get them house seats!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

broadwayguy91
#96Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:18am

Liza's Headband said: "2001 -- not 2011.

It was a non-equity tour that actually began in 2000 and ran through 2001. There were a slew of extremely questionable changes and revisions, all authorized only because Schwartz was directing, which attempted to further modernize the story; from adding in digital/electronic components to rearranging the entire score into a hybrid classic/punk rock & pop sound. Artistically speaking, it was a total failure and not true to its source material. Here's the only Playbill article I could about it from 2000: http://www.playbill.com/article/new-national-tour-cast-album-of-godspell-in-stores-jan-9-2001-com-93071

"

thanks for the additional info! interesting read.

broadwayguy91
#97Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:20am

@neonlightsxo:

Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island

neonlightsxo
#98Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 11:24am

I'm not obsessed with you. You're very childish.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#99Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island
Posted: 7/27/16 at 6:31pm

Thanks for that, LizzieCurry