Hamilton Gender Swap Casting

WickedGinger Profile Photo
WickedGinger
#1Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/1/16 at 5:34am

Hamilton is one of the most diverse shows around... I also read somewhere that Lin Manuel said he would not be opposed to casting a female in one of the lead male roles? 

What do people think the likelihood of this happening in the future will be? Any particular actresses you'd like to take on these roles?

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#2Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/1/16 at 5:35am

Cynthia for Aaron Burr. I'm calling it now. It's going to happen. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/1/16 at 5:52am

I believe that comment was for when the rights and royalties were released for schools to produce.  which is a 50 years from now.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WickedGinger Profile Photo
WickedGinger
#4Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/1/16 at 6:18am

Does anyone have the link to the interview or article it was in? 

The show is meant to be above America's founding being told by the people of America of today! A woman playing one of the lead male characters would be an awesome way to demonstrate that.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#5Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/1/16 at 11:36am

If you saw Lin on Drunk History you know he's in favor of this

mpd4165
#6Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/1/16 at 4:13pm

After this Mixtape, I'm down for a Queen Latifah/George Washington. 

Rainah
#7Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/1/16 at 5:13pm

Look I would legit kill someone to see Renee as Burr. I know she would also possibly kill someone to play Burr, as per interviews. But she has such a wonderful natural reserve that serves Burr so well (See: The schuyler georges)

And I mean I'd also love a show where Anthony and Jasmine switch roles for the night but that's just me....

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#8Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/1/16 at 9:19pm

I know it's likely a pipe dream, but just imagine Patina Miller as Lafayette/Jeferson and Analeigh Ashford as King George.

Broadwaybeauty2
#9Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/2/16 at 10:28pm

This is why I love Lin so much.  Thinks outside the box always.  I'm sure there are so many unknowns waiting to have their break...

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#10Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/2/16 at 10:42pm

Annaleigh Ashford as the king/queen? would be to dye for. omg that needs to happen....

also possibilities...

Cynthia Erivo as Burr (as mentioned by a previous poster i think)

Carly Hughes as Alexander Hamilton or washington or Jefferson/lafayette 

Lachanze as Washington

I'd love to see Titus Burgess do Angelica

Billy Porter as Peggy...idk...now that I'm typing it

Adrienne Warren as really any of the roles just get that girl in this show...same to Ciara Renee (she played Peggy in the workshop...could she be a possible replacement for Jasmine?)

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#11Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/3/16 at 12:48am

My dream is Nicki Minaj as Lafayette/Jefferson. She'd slay it to hell and back! 

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Rainah
#12Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/3/16 at 1:01am

WickedGinger said: "I also read somewhere that Lin Manuel said he would not be opposed to casting a female in one of the lead male roles? "

I believe his response was "I am down for it but I ain't transposing it!" Which, fair.

I think we might see it in a regional production first. Or perhaps broadway when the producers get bored and try to spice things up. Either way I think it's a long time coming, and I'm almost glad? Let them concentrate on replicating the perfection of the original in the new productions. Once they've got that down, THEN is the time to experiment.

That being said, Renee as Burr. I would die.

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#13Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/3/16 at 1:26am

No to all of this. It's like changing an NFL team to all women. It just doesn't work. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#14Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/3/16 at 3:40am

Patina Miller as Burr would be sensational.  I think that in order for this approach to be successful the role would have to be played fairly androgynously and I know that either her or Cynthia Erivo could both do that incredibly well.

Also, this isn't gender swap casting, but Laura Benanti would be really lovely as Eliza.  Also, Titus Burgess would be really wonderful as King George.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#15Hamilton Gender Swap Casting
Posted: 12/3/16 at 4:00am

No to all of this. It's like changing an NFL team to all women. It just doesn't work. 

How do you figure?

Videos