La La Land

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#100La La Land
Posted: 12/28/16 at 7:35pm

the plot is also clearly not the point of the film

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#101La La Land
Posted: 12/28/16 at 7:35pm

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 12/30/16 at 07:35 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#102La La Land
Posted: 12/28/16 at 7:53pm

I'm a voting member of the WGA, and just got the interim published screenplay to accompany the screener. Trust me, the story is -- on it's own terms -- intricately plotted, scene by scene. Dismissing the story is anyone's prerogative, based on personal experience; but it's not the filmmakers, who want the screenwriting to stand alone.  So yes, the writing, and yes, the plot mattered plenty to those who prepped the film. And yes, wrote it. Members of the WGA - writers, all -- are not asked to read and vote for cinematography, art direction, choreography, or musical treatment. We're asked to evaluate and vote for the story.    

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#103La La Land
Posted: 12/28/16 at 9:24pm

Saw this today as consolation of missing Cagney the musical due to no available parking anywhere in the city.  Hated the 1st 30 minutes and then fell hopelessly in love with the plot and whimsy of this movie.  Gosling and Stone are great together and I loved the entire premise.  Makes me long for the old Hollywood musicals.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#104La La Land
Posted: 12/28/16 at 9:54pm

So Auggie ( while NOT asking u how u will vote) do u think the screenplay will get nominated for a WGA?

JM226
#105La La Land
Posted: 12/28/16 at 10:47pm

gypsy101 said: "thanks for that info aaaaaa15!

was this the first original American live-action movie musical since Newsies? i can't think of any since then (other than the High School Musicals and other Disney Channel stuff)

"

correct. no completely original movie musical has been treated to a wide feature film release since NEWSIES in 1990s --- whenever that year was. this would make it the first since then. INCREDIBLE!!! 

Trish2
#106La La Land
Posted: 12/28/16 at 11:48pm

It's sad that Debbie Reynolds passed away today. Her work in the film, Singin' in the Rain, is sublime.

For all of you who commented on the "gorgeous dance sequences" in La La Land, why don't you take a look at  Singin'  again. The dance sequences in that musical are stunning and luckily preserved forever on film . They're lit beautifully, the actors have musical talent, the score is top-notch and the choreography is glorious. There is nothing in "Slumber-land" that comes close. Absolutely Nothing.

Updated On: 12/28/16 at 11:48 PM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#107La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 12:07am

Trish2 said: "It's sad that Debbie Reynolds passed away today. Her work in the film, Singin' in the Rain, is sublime.

For all of you who commented on the "gorgeous dance sequences" in La La Land, why don't you take a look at  Singin'  again. The dance sequences in that musical are stunning and luckily preserved forever on film . They're lit beautifully, the actors have musical talent, the score is top-notch and the choreography is glorious. There is nothing in "Slumber-land" that comes close. Absolutely Nothing.

"

Uh, yeah actually the final sequence did come close.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#108La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 12:34am

There is nothing in "Slumber-land" that comes close. 

I don't believe the goal was to try & equal those Days of Glory musical films . I think it uses them as a frame of reference and then evolves into it's own being. and in it's own way it's wonderful.

hamiltonboys
#109La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 12:44am

JM226 said: "gypsy101 said: "thanks for that info aaaaaa15!

was this the first original American live-action movie musical since Newsies? i can't think of any since then (other than the High School Musicals and other Disney Channel stuff)

"

correct. no completely original movie musical has been treated to a wide feature film release since NEWSIES in 1990s --- whenever that year was. this would make it the first since then. INCREDIBLE!!! 

"
Enchanted?

Updated On: 12/29/16 at 12:44 AM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#110La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 12:47am

Trish2 said: "It's sad that Debbie Reynolds passed away today. Her work in the film, Singin' in the Rain, is sublime.

"

Extremely classy of you to use Ms. Reynolds' passing as an excuse to be snarky about the film.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 12/29/16 at 12:47 AM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#111La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 12:51am

hmmm enchanted is partially animated, so i'm not sure if i count it.

also, people, go buy (or stream) the orchestral soundtrack because it is fantastic.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#112La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 8:06am

sabrelady said: "There is nothing in "Slumber-land" that comes close. 

I don't believe the goal was to try & equal those Days of Glory musical films . I think it uses them as a frame of reference and then evolves into it's own being. and in it's own way it's wonderful.

Exactly my thoughts.  I never once thought this was a true musical but it used that premise to tell a story.  The actors singing and dancing could not compare with yesteryears movie musical talents, but their efforts reminded me of that era and it was so welcomed. Sometimes a reminder of simple pleasures helps lift some of ugliness of today.  

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#113La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 8:18am

Unrelated, but mc1227, I hope you absolutely try to catch Cagney again. It's such a lovely show and the people involved are both uber talented AND total sweethearts.

My boyfriend purchased tickets for us to see LLL tomorrow evening at the Menlo Park dine-in cinema. I've never been there before so it should be a fun night. Will report back.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#114La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 8:35am

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Unrelated, but mc1227, I hope you absolutely try to catch Cagney again. It's such a lovely show and the people involved are both uber talented AND total sweethearts.

I was so disappointed at not being able to attend and hope to catch it before it closes.

"

JM226
#115La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 9:15am

hamiltonboys said: "JM226 said: "gypsy101 said: "thanks for that info aaaaaa15!

"

"
Enchanted?

"

apologies --- I obviously meant live-action. Enchanted combines animated with live action which doesnt count 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#116La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 4:42pm

THE MUPPETS-- all live action (albeit with Muppets) and mostly original songs, 2 of which were nominated for Oscars.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#117La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 9:07pm

oh when i said "original" i meant not in a franchise, i recalled the muppets movies.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#118La La Land
Posted: 12/29/16 at 10:21pm

I just saw this tonight and - as a big old nerd about musicals- really? That's what everyone has been going gaga over? I didn't hate it at all, but it was the most thoroughly "fine" movie I've seen in a while. Spoilers below, for those who care.

My main issues with the film are plot ones- I think Damien Chazelle understands how to film a musical, but I don't think he's written a very good one. Mia and Sebastian's first dance in the parking lot is charming, but it's completely unearned. These characters have exchanged a total of what, five lines at this point? In musicals the songs and dances generally make up some emotional ground, but there has to be a little bit of scene happening first. In this case, the dance feels unearned- and then when there's a similar sequence at the Planetarium, it feels redundant. You can get away with a little slack character development in a musical, but here there's virtually none. 

Furthermore, the one substantial scene the two of them have together- the fight over dinner- doesn't make a lick of sense. Why, when Sebastian has apparently been on the road for at least a few weeks, is Mia just asking how long the tour is? And two people working in the entertainment industry never contemplated having a long distance relationship before? Their entire conversation doesn't read like a conversation between two people who have been in the business for a while- it's immature on both sides.

The last sequence is, of course, lovely. But we've barely gotten to know these characters or seen them together in their very brief relationship, so I didn't find that I had any emotional connection. Both actors sell it as best they can, but I was pretty unmoved- the film doesn't set up the emotional ground for the sequence to really pack the punch it should.

Both actors are generally very good, with Stone faring better due to the sheer force of her personality and because Gosling's character is often kind of an ass. The singing, however, is pretty disappointing. When you're making a musical of, say, Into the Woods, I expect the singing to be less than perfect, because the score exists and it's already difficult. But this whole thing was (I assume) crafted around the two of them, and that's the best they could do? Gosling really just isn't a very good singer at all, but during "Audition", Stone shows off a much stronger lower register. So why choose to write all of her songs in a higher ranger where she doesn't sound as good? 

I truly wanted to fall in love with this, but it's a very pretty bunch of nothing. It seems like it's probably going to win Best Picture over Moonlight, which is a real shame- Moonlight is superior in basically every way and doesn't show us a tired story that we've seen for decades now. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#119La La Land
Posted: 12/30/16 at 12:02am

Anyone else think Ryan Gosling's character should have been cast with an African American actor? It just feels really white-savior-y that this white guy's trying to 'save jazz,' a tradition invented by the black community. Just because the film is supposed to be reminiscent of old hollywood musicals doesn't mean it needed to be cast like one...

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

broadfan327
#120La La Land
Posted: 12/30/16 at 12:06am

I saw the movie last night, and loved it.  I thought the acting was top notch.  I am a big fan of the score.  The plot is thin, yes, but I got past that.  I felt a strong emotional connection to the characters.  I thought the cinematography was great as well.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#121La La Land
Posted: 12/30/16 at 1:13am

seahag2 said: "Anyone else think Ryan Gosling's character should have been cast with an African American actor?"

i thought Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling were superb but i did think many times that the story may have made more sense if neither of them were white.

A Director
#122La La Land
Posted: 12/30/16 at 1:50am

I thought many times Moonlight would be a better movie and make more sense if none of the characters were black.  I thought many times Fences would be a better and make more sense if none of the characters were black.

I thought many times Moana would be  better movie if it took place in Iowa.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#123La La Land
Posted: 12/30/16 at 2:05am

I agree.  We should never cast white actors ever again.

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#124La La Land
Posted: 12/30/16 at 2:43am

icecreambenjamin said: "I agree.  We should never cast white actors ever again.

"

Why are you getting so defensive? Given the way the male lead part was written, it kinda lends itself to be played by a black man. It just makes sense, looking at it from a jazz history standpoint. They're also in 2016 LA, a city with a more than prevalent POC presence. It doesn't help that Ryan Gosling isn't the best singer thus appearing to have been cast just to have an A list celeb. Black folks have had a lot stolen from them and the least that could have happened was giving a role about guy trying to save jazz to someone who belonged to the community that created the artform in the first place. 

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down