pixeltracker

Meryl Streep's speech last night- Page 6

Meryl Streep's speech last night

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#125Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/12/17 at 4:25pm

Because Obama realized his mistake and immediately apologized for it. Trump denies what he did. That's a remarkably big difference.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Updated On: 1/12/17 at 04:25 PM

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#126Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/12/17 at 4:33pm

I didnt think what Obama said was so bad. But he said it, and Meryls Heart wasa able to keep pumping, Trump is an ass but he didnt do it and the Democrat Smear Campaign was disproved on The View (see above). There is plenty to criticize him on, but when you make stuff up, the real stuff is ignored. 

When They Go Low, I Go High

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#127Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/12/17 at 5:20pm

kdogg36 said: "Well... the point is that there has been a lot of evasion on this issue from the progressive movement. The anti-war left disappeared for eight years while someone they liked was doing the killing. 

I know it's not the original topic of this thread, but I wouldn't mind hearing the issue of Obama's militarism addressed head-on rather than brushed aside. Do you defend the drone killings, or not think it's a very important issue in the scheme of things, or what?
"

It has been discussed by progressives. There were threads dedicated to the subject on this very board.

I didn't agree with Obama's drone policy. I didn't agree with many of his education policies. I spoke out about that while he was President. But I'm still comfortable saying that he has been the best President in my lifetime.

But again, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH what Streep said at The Golden Globes.

And Petra, again you're making a false equivalency. OBAMA APOLOGIZED FOR THAT IMMEDIATEDLY. Trump denies that he ever did it even though we can all see it for ourselves on tape.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#128Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/12/17 at 5:38pm

"Still, nobody has provided an actual, tangible reason for Streep to offer the words that she did." 

Here's the reason, she took a moment that a lot of people were watching' and turned it into a political and social moment.  She dosen't care about if some schmuck who voted for Trump stops liking her, and at this point in her life why should she?  It was an opportunity and why not. The usual suspects who think this board is too left or whatever, tough.  Actors and people who admire the arts usually are lefties, wrap your brain around that.

Kdogg, you're in a distinct minority that is PO'ed about drone strikes.  Innocents have died undoubtedly, but can we put an exact price on this?  Will the American people ever deny the use of superior weaponry on moral grounds?  It's a form of war, and any form of war I hate, but do we really know if we've killed more lives than we've saved?  I think you see this as murder, but why are drone strikes murder, and other forms of warfare not?

Stephanatic

javero Profile Photo
javero
#129Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/12/17 at 6:38pm

South Florida said: "Will the American people ever deny the use of superior weaponry on moral grounds?"

McCain answered that earlier today with a resounding "no" during the Senate confirmation hearings for Defense Secretary nominee James Mattis.  I'll admit that I'm more hawkish in terms of self-defense than most on here but found myself gasping for air after McCain insisted on more DoD funding so that our soldiers are never constrained by the burden of a fair fight.  It reminded me that Putin is not the only one who needs a new version of the Cold War.  Perhaps, with the GOP in power it really is guns versus butter (or universal health care).

ETA: I could have shorted the text above to...don't bring a knife to a gunfight, brandish an AK-47 instead.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 1/12/17 at 06:38 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#130Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/12/17 at 8:05pm

While I appreciate the sentiment of her speech, it seems a bit disingenuous/dishonest of Meryl Streep to characterise Trump's administration as one that wants to kick out all foreigners and outsiders from America - particularly those that were in that room (somehow I think Amy Adams and Natalie Portman will be just fine). Of course it makes for great entertainment though - she is an entertainer after all. And as usual, everyone eats it up. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/12/17 at 08:05 PM

javero Profile Photo
javero
#131Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/12/17 at 8:44pm

I really veered off topic.  Meryl is Hollywood royalty.  We need everyone with voice and half a platform to speak out against the incoming kleptocrat by hook or crook even if done surreptitiously.  Trump is an anomaly so it's not business as usual in the US.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#132Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/12/17 at 9:17pm

In the age of Trump we should be thankful that someone like Meryl Streep would use such a big platform to speak out instead of looking for reasons to pick apart her speech.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#133Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/12/17 at 9:24pm

"Streep to characterise Trump's administration as one that wants to kick out all foreigners and outsiders from America "

Oh, I bet he'd love to.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#134Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/13/17 at 10:56am

The normally reticent Robert DeNiro supports Streep:

Meryl –

What you said was great. It needed to be said, and you said it beautifully. I have so much respect for you that you did it while the world was celebrating your achievements. I share your sentiments about punks and bullies. Enough is enough. You, with your elegance and intelligence, have a powerful voice – one that inspires others to speak up as they should so their voices will be heard too. It is so important that we ALL speak up.  

We love you. 

Bob

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Petralicious
#135Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/13/17 at 11:07am

madbrian said: "The normally reticent Robert DeNiro supports Streep:

"You  are usually very honest. but Reticent? He is long well known outspoken devoted Democrat. And made this nasty video threatening violence. 

Updated On: 1/13/17 at 11:07 AM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#136Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/14/17 at 8:17pm

Petralicious first of all as someone who is an MMA fan and knows a lot of MMA fighters (pro ones), I don't know one who found what she said offensive, they knew it was a joke. Just because a few of them mouthed off does not speak for an industry.

Second, I have been posting (and writing for) Broadway World for years, I've seen so many headache inducing posters come and go, but you, my god. It seems your only purpose is to jump on threads and disagree with what everybody says. Somebody comments and you google, post and lecture. 

Ive never thought of leaving this board until now because every time I see you have posted (as well as your lap dog Broadway Concierge) I just want to scream. And before you start, I'm in the U.K., this is nothing to do with left or right wing, if you were a democrat and going on the way you do against republicans I would say the same.

your 'opinion' seems to be more of a Wikipedia and news article than your own so I have such little respect for whatever you post, why? Because you are clearly doing it to wind up the members on here. Maybe your bored, don't work, have no life, but please for my sanity and so many others......give it a rest.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Updated On: 1/14/17 at 08:17 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#137Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/14/17 at 11:41pm

Thank you song and dance. Will she stop? I'd be surprised.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#138Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/15/17 at 12:18am

songanddanceman2 don't leave.  We need clear thoughtful members here to balance the putrid spew of the ignorant  vicious trolls .

otherwise, they win.

and that just ain't right.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#139Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/15/17 at 9:34am

songanddance, with all due respect, I'm calling bull on your post. You don't have a problem with people calling Ms. Jennifer Holliday "insane," "desperate," "disgusting," "gross," "idiotic," and "embarrassing" on another thread, but you do have a problem with Petra and I espousing remotely politically conservative views on others? Because I hold some conservative views, I've been accusing of holding multiple BWW accounts. Because Petra holds some conservative views, he/she has been called a troll. There are some actual trolls and multiple account users on here, and to target the extremely few conservative users as the core problem on these threads is a real misfire, in my opinion. Petra and I may raise questions and views that the majority on here disagree with, but at least we've never once resorted to nasty namecalling and rhetoric, such as accusing somebody has no work or personal life outside of here. It's quite rude and uncalled for.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#140Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/15/17 at 10:09am

I think it's safe to say that the reason several posters on this board have a problem with you and Petra has nothing to do with you being "conservative".

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#141Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/15/17 at 10:37am

ErikJ972 said: "It has been discussed by progressives. There were threads dedicated to the subject on this very board."

I apologize for suggesting otherwise, then. I've only been paying attention to the off-topic board for a few years, so I would have missed that.

"I didn't agree with Obama's drone policy. I didn't agree with many of his education policies. I spoke out about that while he was President. But I'm still comfortable saying that he has been the best President in my lifetime."

It's a deal-breaker for me. Obama has maintained a secret list of Muslims to be killed by drone, along with any unfortunates who happen to be in their presence. He's judge, jury, and executioner. He's killed an innocent teenager (an American, though that shouldn't really matter) and had one of his spokespeople say he should have picked a better father. This is simply something I cannot look past.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#142Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/15/17 at 10:42am

I respect that's a deal breaker for you.

I guess what I don't get is bringing it up in the context of the Meryl Streep speech. We should be encouraging people like Streep to speak out. Not finding fault in it because she hasn't spoken out on every issue we ever found important. Or because she gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation over a decade ago.

ArtMan
#143Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/15/17 at 10:48am

BroadwayConcierge, say something negative about Madonna and you will see the real Songanddanceman2 come out.   He goes absolutely bat****e crazy about negative statements about Madonna.  The same behavior he claims you and Petra exhibit....he does the exact same thing about Madonna.  Don't get me wrong.  I have no issue with Songanddanceman2. I have told him in the past that I enjoy reading his posts on various threads,  What bothers me is that  it's interesting to me, the MANY members on here who accuse other posters of things, when they do the same EXACT behavior.  Don't you know that unless a thread is deleted, your past comments are easily found with the search engine?   And  for the record...I don't have a problem with you or Petra.  You are both entitled to your opinions. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#144Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/15/17 at 12:33pm

Trump is an ass but he didnt do it and the Democrat Smear Campaign was disproved on The View (see above).

The View discussed it.  They did not disprove it. 

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#145Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/15/17 at 7:22pm

South Florida said: "Innocents have died undoubtedly, but can we put an exact price on this?  Will the American people ever deny the use of superior weaponry on moral grounds?  It's a form of war, and any form of war I hate, but do we really know if we've killed more lives than we've saved?  I think you see this as murder, but why are drone strikes murder, and other forms of warfare not?"

Warfare, traditionally, has been understood as a bunch of guys from one tribe/country/whatever attacking your tribe/country/whatever. To protect yourself and your family, you use force to remove the direct threat.

But now we're talking about one person maintaining a list of people to kill from above, along with anyone who happens to be nearby. (They all just happen to be Muslims - a pure coincidence, I'm sure.) There is no judge or jury - no oversight at all. No public debate, no vote of Congress to declare war on anyone. No American life is put at risk - only innocent Arabs. Just a kill list and one person's say-so. 

I'd say, given the level of violence we're talking about, the burden is on defenders of drone killings to demonstrate that this rather extraordinary program is somehow saving lives. If you're prepared to make that case, I'm all ears, as Ross Perot said. (That's a joke - take a look at my photo!) :)

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#146Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/16/17 at 5:47pm

I'm a pacifist so any war is outrageous to me, but in this conflict the other side has consistently disregarded the tradition you speak of.  I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Stephanatic

javero Profile Photo
javero
#147Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/16/17 at 10:54pm

If you haven't done so already, I encourage everyone to check out the flick Eye In the Sky (2015), starring Helen Mirren and Aaron Paul.  The movie treats the topic of drone warfare brilliantly in spite of a paltry budget.

Petralicious
#148Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/17/17 at 9:29am

ArtMan said: ", say something negative about Madonna and you will see the real Songanddanceman2 come out.   He goes absolutely bat****e crazy about negative statements about Madonna.  The same behavior he claims you and Petra exhibit....he does the exact same thing about Madonna.  Don't get me wrong.  I have no issue with Songanddanceman2. I have told him in the past that I enjoy reading his posts on various threads,  What bothers me is that  it's interesting to me, the MANY members on here who accuse other posters of things, when they do the same EXACT behavior.  Don't you know that unless a thread is deleted, your past comments are easily found with the search engine?   And  for the record...I don't have a problem with you or Petra.  You are both entitled to your opinions. 

"Typical. It is just a way for some to cut off discussion they do not want to have or Opinion they do not want to share.