pixeltracker

Groundhog Day Marketing?- Page 3

Groundhog Day Marketing?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#50Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/29/17 at 9:14pm

I saw the poster in Shubert Alley yesterday and noticed it doesn't even have the show's title on it. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

broadwayguy91
#51Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/29/17 at 9:39pm

the next American Psycho.

neonlightsxo
#52Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/30/17 at 9:34am

"I saw the poster in Shubert Alley yesterday and noticed it doesn't even have the show's title on it."

It's genuinely baffling.

little_sally
#53Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/30/17 at 9:38am

I'm pretty sure the poster is a pull quote and a little groundhog's head popping up from the bottom. If you didn't know a musical of Groundhog's Day was coming, you'd have no idea what the hell it was advertising.

neonlightsxo
#54Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/30/17 at 9:41am

Right, they're assuming everyone knows what their show is which is...not how you market a new musical.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#55Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/30/17 at 5:13pm

little_sally said: "I saw the poster in Shubert Alley yesterday and noticed it doesn't even have the show's title on it. 

"

American Psycho had a lot of buzz though (positive and negative)... I haven't heard anyone really talking about this one. Though... they're definitely talking about it more than they are talking about Amelie and Anastasia. 

Damiensta
#56Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/30/17 at 8:45pm

Find it kinda ridiculous that they are not using Groundhog Day to have a promotion and get PR for show. They could of done so much 

little_sally
#57Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/31/17 at 11:38am

Damiensta said: "Find it kinda ridiculous that they are not using Groundhog Day to have a promotion and get PR for show. They could of done so much 

The actual box office opens that day so I wonder if they are planning on something?

However, given their track record I'm probably just reading too into things.

Updated On: 1/31/17 at 11:38 AM

neonlightsxo
#58Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/31/17 at 12:22pm

MadonnaMusical, Anastasia is getting quite a lot of millennial Broadway.com traffic. They also have disposable income. They are after all, the BroadwayCon audience.

canadian fan
#59Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/31/17 at 1:12pm

Noticed today that GHD won best musical in the UK. So theres that. THAT might be better advertising than any billboard.  And yes, different audiences etcetera etcetera etcetera (hey I just saw the king and I so its in my head!! haha)  but regardless winning an award like that wont hurt I'm sure....

neonlightsxo
#60Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/31/17 at 1:33pm

The Oliviers haven't happened yet, so whatever they won isn't that important...

ebontoyan
#61Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/31/17 at 1:42pm

Well they can still brag about it. An award is an award whether a theater goer thinks it is important or not!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#62Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/31/17 at 1:42pm

I just don't quite understand why if it was such a hot ticket in London they didn't just transfer it there, let it find an audience, then bring it over. Why close a hot ticket and bring it to a different market? 

neonlightsxo
#63Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/31/17 at 2:12pm

Bad producing, RippedMan.

canadian fan
#64Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 1/31/17 at 2:16pm

It was the UK critics circle theatre awards.  

I have no idea of the prestige (or lack of) associated with that particular award....but they won, so they must have beat out others for the award regardless. So whatever voting committee decided the winner, they must have thought it was a worthy choice.  

jdln1973
#65Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 2/1/17 at 6:34am

Has anyone heard of any Groundhog Day promotions for tickets? I think it's insane if they don't do something!! 

I rather enjoyed the 'It Should Have Been You' promotion on Valentine's Day! 

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#66Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 2/1/17 at 6:56am

Contrary to earlier reports, the show's run in London was not a total sell-out and there was heavy discounting for all except the last few weeks.

Compare this with the marketing of Matilda- GHD has only really released on song.  It is an unknown quantity.

aaaaaa15
#67Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 2/1/17 at 7:56am

/ Updated On: 10/21/20 at 07:56 AM

massofmen
#68Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 2/1/17 at 9:11am

i would love to know what musicals it was up against. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#69Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 2/1/17 at 9:37am

This show is severely slacking. Previews in a little over a month and all of their social media is barely active... no box office opening day promotions tomorrow... haven't seen a single advertisement anywhere... it's like they're not even trying. 

What does strike me as odd, though, is that the first preview on Ticketmaster is "sold out" despite every other performance in the run that I checked having a massive amount of unsold seats. 

Really scratching my head at this one folks. 

@z5
#70Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 2/1/17 at 9:59am

They really should do some sort of promo for G-hog Day.... I would expect an announcement (if it's happening) sometime today or early tomorrow morning latest. 

But I don't have high hopes for it happening honestly. 

smidge
#71Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 2/1/17 at 10:34am

Maybe the producers read this and didn't think they needed to do anything 

http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/broadway-producers-are-terrified-of-groundhog-day/

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#72Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 2/2/17 at 10:32am

They seem to finally be waking up with their strategy, hoping for the best for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvJ3MlvNyDM&feature=youtu.be

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#73Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 2/2/17 at 11:03am

.....that's it???

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

perfectliar
#74Groundhog Day Marketing/Advertising
Posted: 2/2/17 at 11:23am

The first preview giveaway is fine... it'll get the production a few likes and follows, which probably won't translate to anything other than minor awareness. But I'm really confused why they're not doing some kind of promotion at the box office, which opened today, or releasing a one-day-only discount code or something that's an actual event. This production is mind-boggling.

Videos