The View Upstairs?

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#25The View Upstairs?
Posted: 3/16/17 at 8:19am

At 105 minutes with no intermission, it feels long. I’d rather have had three less songs and 15 minutes off the runtime.

But eliminating the modern-day surrogate would result in an entirely different show. TVU is as much about the push-and-pull of confronting changing times and what particles of our past – both personal and communal – we accumulate and shed on our journeys as it is about the crew of the UpStairs Lounge.

So, sure, you could theoretically cut that character and be left with a “day in the life” 1970s story. But I thought the time-travel/hallucination device which allows for that added layer to be one of the show’s biggest strengths, ham-fistedly executed tho it be.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

sephyr
#26The View Upstairs?
Posted: 3/16/17 at 9:08am

It's a really heartwarming show. All the actors are great and the music was nice! It was very immersive and I enjoyed it.

mpkie
#27The View Upstairs?
Posted: 4/9/17 at 10:14pm

This show deserves a lot more buzz. I just caught this with the ongoing 20at20.

It starts off a bit slow but it didn't take long for me to be charmed. It features a highly pleasant pop score sung by extremely talented performers that I'd love to listen to again.

The show is lovely and intimate, and never felt over-the-top. It was sweet and funny, sad and poignant (without being pedantic), and generally entertaining. I was engaged, the characters were interesting, and the main character really endeared to me by the end of the show. They do a great job of transporting you to that bar, and make you feel like you're one of its patrons. At some point, I had forgotten that the doors to the lobby were not actually doors to go downstairs. Plus the lighting guy was on point!

And complete non sequitur but, I just have to say, the guy who plays Patrick is super cute; it's like they found the perfect person to play that role, and his voice was damn good. Would love to see more of him.

You have one more week to enjoy this for $20 with 20at20, it's an absolute steal. Definitely go give it some love and support!

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

That moment in "The Future Is Great" hit me right in the chest. All this cheerful peppy description about the future, then "the 80s came ... and killed all your friends".... something to that effect. Quietly delivered. Just crushed my heart.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#28The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/8/17 at 3:11pm

They're recording the cast album today!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT1626-gyGY/

mpkie
#29The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/9/17 at 12:24am

So glad there's something to memorialize it. It's closing on May 21 The View Upstairs?

Time's a wastin' if anyone was planning to go see it, go now! $25 student rush and $30 general rush.

Was hoping it'd play till June cuz I think a Pride Playbill for this show would have been so cool to have.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#30The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/9/17 at 10:41am

The cast recording better include Nathan Lee Graham's monologue.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

VintageSnarker
#31The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/9/17 at 11:40am

@mpkie Oh, a pride Playbill for this show would be great. 

I would love it if they just recorded Nathan Lee Graham's monologue. Why not? Everyone else seems to get their own song to establish their characters. And it's worth the price of admission alone.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#32The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/9/17 at 2:29pm

Kad said: "The cast recording better include Nathan Lee Graham's monologue."

I tweeted this to Max, and he replied, "no sadly. I wish! Lot's of other fabulous performances however"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#33The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/13/17 at 11:29pm

Finally seeing it tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Just give the world Love.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#34The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 2:43am

Saw it last night....

I will say that every gay man and woman should have run to see this show. It depicts a part of our history. Sadly, that is not of interest to a large portion of the younger gay community.

Was it perfect? No. I had 3 understudies (Buddy, Richard and Freddy).  I will say that I wanted to see Mr. Graham the most and he was in...and FLAWLESS.

The book could use some tweaking. However,  a lot of it was fine. My problem was Mr Pope's performance. It felt rushed and over the top. He also was not in the best vocal shape. Honestly, I was cringing during his first 2 numbers. I must have been on an off night as I have heard wonderful things about his performance. The rest of the cast just owned their characters. To a T. And  yes,  Graham's monolouge was...in. cre. di. ble. He OWNED IT! 

The evening was a throwback. I felt like I was seeing a show off-Broadway in the late 70's or 80's. And that, I loved. The set helped set that mood. It is imcredible. Even sitting in the back of the house you feel a part of everything going on.

The evening is mostly getting to know the characters. I have read posts and reviews that a few songs could be cut. I thought the same until the end. The score is wonderful and that is where the book needs to be tweaked around the songs. And, in my opinion, the book is what made me look at my watch and hour and five minutes in.

When it was over the one feeling I had is that it stuck with me. It may not be exactly what happened before the fire but it was a good portrayal of what might have happened.

I remember this tragedy and it was a part of our fight for rights in the 80's. I will own the music the day it is released and I suggest that if you have not seen it, go. Just go. I have also heard that this may not be the last incarnation of the show. I still say, see it now. I was almost not able to see it because of my schedule but thank God I got down there.

Just !my random thoughts.

bct14972 Profile Photo
bct14972
#35The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 3:06am

Was there last night as well! We were moved to the onstage seating and had a great time. While this is a clear cut case of a gimmick elevating the material, there was some wonderful stuff in here--notably Graham's performance and some of the songs. The plot is ridiculous, but its very well intentioned, and the composer, while not a strong librettist, has a bright future ahead of him as a composer/lyricist.

Indeed, there were three understudies on tonight, and I have to applaud April Ortiz for going on--and killing it--as Richard, the pastor character. I had no idea that it was written for a man until after we got the programs at the end. Thought it worked surprisingly well and thought she was great! I know that once during the run of Jerome Robbins' Broadway, a male understudy went on as Peter Pan--any other instances where the understudy or swing went on for a character normally played by the opposite sex? Seems rare.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#36The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 3:35am

With all due respect bct, I found the set not to be a "gimmick" at all. It was perfect. And the plot was pulled from a real life event. 

Updated On: 5/15/17 at 03:35 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#37The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 5:35am

I didn't realize they had a 6pm performance so my friend and I managed to get last minute tickets to this show. I had wanted to see this during Pride month but once I heard it's closing next weekend two days ago, I made it a priority to see this.

WOW! I agree for those interested in experiencing a glimpse of LGBT history, come see this show. I know Jeremy Pope is from Orlando, FL and I'd imagine he'd think this as similar to what happened at Pulse in Orlando almost a year ago. I think he grew into his role as the evening progressed. 

I had no idea there were 3 understudies until after I got the playbill at the end. Wow! I loved Ortiz and Alfaro!!!!!!! Kudoes to them! Also, I didnt' know Taylor Frey was part of the cast (he's Kyle Dean Massey's husband.) Taylor was great too. Overall I had a great time and am glad I saw this show.

Heck I had no idea Burt Reynolds was a sex symbol back in the 70s! 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#38The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 9:48am

Very excited to see this tomorrow night. I am always thrilled when new works based on gay history are made. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#39The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 10:44am

Wicked3, I agree that he grew into the role as the evening went on. I also founf him vocally better was he was singing with the cast.

And yes, burt Reynolds was a sex symbol back in the 70's. I think he did a Playgirl centerfold.

perfectliar
#40The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 12:14pm

Saw this at the end of March and have to agree that Pope was the weak link, for the same reasons you stated, uncageg. I hated his first song (felt breathless for the wrong reasons and rushes) but found him more endearing as the show continued... so I don't think you saw an off night, I think that's just the performance. I did love the show as a whole, though.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#41The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 12:42pm

Based on the show description I guess I had expected a mpre mature acting charater in Wes.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#42The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 2:22pm

I think the conceit of the show- ungrateful and ignorant millennial is magically transported back in time to the UpStairs Lounge- is what lets it down for me. It became more about Max Vernon than about any of the characters. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 5/15/17 at 02:22 PM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#43The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 2:47pm

I didn’t care for the show as much as you did, uncageg, but the Jeremy Pope performance you describe sounds very much like the performance I saw two months ago. While the book doesn’t exactly give him a ton to build a character from (first he’s required to react; then he’s required to emote), I don’t think Pope is up to snuff acting-wise or vocally here. Or: if he has notable talent, this material doesn't allow him to display it.

And I’m with you, Kad. The conceit is good one, but it ultimately weighs far too heavily in favor of a “These dang kids today” mentality. The two sides, as it were, are not on equal footing. As the show has it, Wes – i.e., his generation – has much to learn but very little to contribute.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES
Updated On: 5/15/17 at 02:47 PM

mpkie
#44The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 2:55pm

Gosh I'm so glad you guys are liking it, too. I really did love this show and feel sad it is ending its run so soon. But glad others are enjoying it as well.

I have similar qualms about the book not being in the best shape, but danged if the show isn't just sweet and charming all around with some great pop numbers and performances. I hope they do a concert version after the cast recording release and I hope I can be there if so!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#45The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 5:01pm

Kad, that is where I think they need to work on the book. A lot of the future references were not needed. It could have focused more on what the gay community specifically would go through in the coming years. But it was a nice peek into the gay community at the time.

themysteriousgrowl, I do think there is talent there, at least vocally, with Mr. Pope. There were moments it peeked through. I kept thinking this score was not the perfect fit with his vocal abilities.

Still and all, I am so glad I saw it. I left feeling a bit nostalgic. I have heard that there are some future plans for the show after doing some work on it. I would definetly see it again. Even with its flaws I fell in love with all of the characters. Everyone around Mr. Pope had great chemistry together. I am still laughing at the moment during the song Wes sings near the end where the cast says what they say to him in unison!

VintageSnarker
#46The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 8:19pm

uncageg said: "My problem was Mr Pope's performance. It felt rushed and over the top. He also was not in the best vocal shape. Honestly, I was cringing during his first 2 numbers. I must have been on an off night as I have heard wonderful things about his performance.

I mean, maybe he was feeling under the weather. But based on the two times I've seen the show, I think as far as the vocals go, it's that the early songs don't suit his voice that well. He doesn't have a terrible voice but it doesn't suit that kind of pseudo light punk rock or whatever the genre the first songs he's given are written to ape. I don't think he warms up so much as the later songs just let his voice do what it needs to with some pretty riffs and that sort of thing. I do feel bad for him because he's hampered by a lot of the weakest parts of the book and some pretty terrible millennial jokes. I don't know if even Nathan Lee Graham could sell some of the garbage they wrote for Wes.

themysteriousgrowl said: "As the show has it, Wes – i.e., his generation – has much to learn but very little to contribute."

Part of my issue was the show seemed to duck the question it had been posing all night. What was Wes supposed to contribute. The first time I saw it, it was right after the election and I understood Wes' anger and frustration but it all seemed too raw. I think the show has settled into a better place but they still avoid the question. I don't get why Patrick is angry that towards the end Wes still wants to turn the completely destroyed and unsalvageable bar into a fashion house. Is he supposed to open up a charity or community center? And then the conversation with the second police officer and the parade of costumes at the end makes it seem like Wes does end up making clothes so... OK? But no one ever explains how that fosters a sense of community or belonging or does anything to help anyone but himself or how it relates to anything else going in the world. 

But again, the second time I saw it I was able to overlook those issues and just feel like it was generally a feel good show. Also, Nathan Lee Graham.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#47The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/15/17 at 11:31pm

Vintage, I kind of understood Patrick's upset. Back then there were nowhere near as many gay bars asnthere are now. They were a special place. I suppose he was thinking more about legacy and having a place for gay people to comgregate.Even though Wes tells them about some things to come, Patrick was still in the 70's. Back then we were not that optimistic that things would advance the way they have in the gay community.

broadwaygirl89
#48The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/16/17 at 12:08am

For those of you who have rushed this, what time did you get to the theater? Do you think getting there the hour before curtain is fine or have people been lining up beforehand?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#49The View Upstairs?
Posted: 5/16/17 at 12:11am

broadwaygirl89 said: "For those of you who have rushed this, what time did you get to the theater? Do you think getting there the hour before curtain is fine or have people been lining up beforehand?"

I showed up at 9:59 for a 10p Saturday show, the box office guy ran and told them to hold the show a minute, then came back and sold me a ticket, there were a lot of empty seats... a bit atypical.