An Oscar for Lin Manuel?

aaaaaa15
#25An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 10:30pm

Updated On: 1/24/17 at 10:30 PM

aaaaaa15
#26An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 10:30pm

I meant the backlash itself was the parody. Along with its rabid defenders.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#27An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 10:58pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Lin will absolutely win an Oscar. Just not this year."

That.  100%. My admiration of LMM and his talent is big, but this will not be his Oscar year. Lucky for him, he's not even 40 yet. He has time on his side,.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#28An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 11:00pm

If anything I think there's probably a Lin Manuel backlash. He's completely over saturated right now. 

I think it's Pasek & Pauls moment in the sun. These breakout newbie talents with a song from a movie about people trying to break out. Sometimes it's not the best song that wins it's a bunch of things that come together. For example that horrendous San Smith song  

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#29An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/24/17 at 11:11pm

What should be worth mentioning is that when voting opens for all Academy members to vote for the winners, the names of the creative individuals won't even appear on the ballots for any of the below the line categories. That's pretty much what cost Lady Gaga the Oscar last year for Best Original Song. So I'm not sure how many Academy members will even be aware that Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote 'How Far I'll Go'. Though maybe he could still win if the two songs from La La Land end up splitting the vote.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#30An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 12:48am

But what we're overlooking is "Can't Stop The Feeling" is the BEST original song nominated. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#31An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 1:27am

RippedMan said: "But what we're overlooking is "Can't Stop The Feeling" is the BEST original song nominated. "

we aren't overlooking it; it's your opinion.

Audition is the best song nominated.

I was disappointed "Drive It Like You Stole" It from Sing Street wasn't nominated.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#32An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 4:21am

I thought Lin working on Moana was Oscar-baiting in the first place. I am sure he will write a new song for the Mary Poppins film and be nominated again next year. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#33An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 5:36am

TheSassySam said: "I thought Lin working on Moana was Oscar-baiting in the first place. I am sure he will write a new song for the Mary Poppins film and be nominated again next year. "

Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman wrote the score for Mary Poppins. I see him being nominated for Little Mermaid.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#34An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 5:49am

The song doesn't deserve it, period.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

aaaaaa15
#35An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 6:22am

Bettyboy72 said: "If anything I think there's probably a Lin Manuel backlash. He's completely over saturated right now. "

Where is the backlash? Anything that's extremely popular always has somewhat of a backlash but the only people who I've seen hate on Lin are Mike Pence defenders and some theatre fans who don't like Hamilton. There's no backlash in the general public. And whilst I think he was oversaturated 6 months ago, I don't now. He's keeping a pretty low profile in London. 

Talking about what does and doesn't deserve it is silly as music is subjective. For me: City of Stars > How Far I'll Go > Audition > Can't Stop the Feeling.

However it doesn't matter what the best song is if the Academy are willing to give LLL an undeserving sound editing nomination, then it seems they just want to throw awards at it no matter what.

Updated On: 1/25/17 at 06:22 AM

aaaaaa15
#36An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 6:26am

TheSassySam said: "I thought Lin working on Moana was Oscar-baiting in the first place. I am sure he will write a new song for the Mary Poppins film and be nominated again next year."

Lin wants an Oscar and has said so in the past, but I sincerely doubt that's the only reason he'd take on Moana. I'm sure most composers would jump at the chance to write a Disney soundtrack. All the film projects he's signed up for recently are much more likely to be his 'I want an Oscar' decisions.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#37An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 6:45am

I have given this category a big eye roll overall. I loved both Moana and La La Land but IMO the best songs from them were "Where You Are" and "Another Day of Sun" respectively. But the big marketable song is always the one nominated, just like how "Let It Go" wasn't the best song in Frozen.

In any case tho I think "Audition" is indeed the best song of the three. Have not heard the Timberlake song mentioned here tho.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

10086sunset
#38An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 7:29am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "What should be worth mentioning is that when voting opens for all Academy members to vote for the winners, the names of the creative individuals won't even appear on the ballots for any of the below the line categories. That's pretty much what cost Lady Gaga the Oscar last year for Best Original Song. So I'm not sure how many Academy members will even be aware that Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote 'How Far I'll Go'. Though maybe he could still win if the two songs from La La Land end up splitting the vote."

The Sam Smith Bond song was not losing. "Writings on the Wall" was extremely popular. Gaga had the misfortune of having the song included in a film that no one saw. If she and Diane Warren were not the credited for music and lyrics, that song never comes close to being nominated.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#39An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 8:08am

gypsy101 said: I was disappointed "Drive It Like You Stole" It from Sing Street wasn't nominated.

Same, it's my favourite song of the season

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#40An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 8:25am

Drive It Like You Stole It is a better song than anything in La La Land- should have been nominated and should have won.

I do think City of Stars will win, but if they have to give it to a La La Land song, Audition is the better one of the two nominated, and Another Day of Sun is better than both. Still a bland, boring score, but whatever. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

aaaaaa15
#41An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 9:11am

Another Day of Sun is just Someone in the Crowd with inaudible vocals An Oscar for Lin Manuel?

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#42An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 9:18am

I didn't even think "How Far I'll Go" was the first or second best song in Moana. (I liked "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" better.) But I'm certainly hoping "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" wins and I think it's got a good shot. It's the emotional climax for Emma Stone's character. In this category, I always gravitate to the song that's most effective in the context of the film's story. Timberlake's ditty is nice, but you could replace it with any number of other things and get the same effect. Not so with "Audition"--it's incredibly specific to the moment.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before
Updated On: 1/25/17 at 09:18 AM

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#43An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 9:36am

Lin will have a trillion more chances at an Oscar and eventually, he'll get one.

I do think the two La La Land songs will split the vote to come degree but not enough. 

However, odds of winning award shows and elections have been quite off recently so you never know. Lin has a recognizable name and he's well-liked in the industry right now. Maybe there's an Oscar voter looking for free Hamilton tickets...Lol.

But Can't Stop the Feeling has no chance. I was shocked it got a nomination. I usually love Justin Timberlake's work but this was SO stereotypically pop it hurt my ears to listen to it.

aaaaaa15
#44An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 10:04am

I don't think Audition has any chance. City of Stars is the movie's theme and the one that has had all the traction so far this awards season. Audition didn't even get nominated at the Golden Globes.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#45An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 10:11am

The Golden Globes aren't the most reliable source for predicting the Oscars since they're voted by 90 or so foreign journalists. The Oscars are voted by over 6,000 Academy members.

aaaaaa15
#46An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 10:25am

Yes but it's not just the Globes. City of Stars has beaten it there, Critics Choice and at all the small critics groups awards too. Lionsgate would be a fool to not focus their campaign solely on City of Stars now, especially as a vote split is always a possibility.

Updated On: 1/25/17 at 10:25 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#47An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 10:28am

It's pretty safe to say that La La Land- a movie musical that has been cleaning up with awards and nominations- will snag an award for one of its songs. The "Best Song" category typically isn't one voters spend a lot of time thinking about.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#48An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 11:56am

Audition from LLL was filmed and recorded in one take. Sure the performance isn't Lea Michelle singing Don't Rain on My Parade... but I think it was perfect for the moment in which it takes place.  For that reason, and because LLL is about Hollywood and Hollywood loves itself, is why I think LLL will win.  HOW EVER, "How Far I'll Go" is written by Lin- someone who Hollywood LOVES right now.

and Can't Stop The Feeling - is this year's "Happy"(the pharrell song) - Sure it was a hit, but it's over produced, POP music. 

I'm 99% certain the Academy is going to pick Moana or LLL.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#49An Oscar for Lin Manuel?
Posted: 1/25/17 at 12:19pm

I just don't think the La La Land music is good at all. And i LOVE Pasek and Paul. I was just disappointed by how lame all the music was. It was just super forgettable and the lyrics were all so bland and contrived. I mean "Another Day of Sun" - You couldn't understand the lyrics. And "Audition" has no melody. None of the songs propel the plot or do anything to further the character development, IMO.