COME FROM AWAY Previews

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#150COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/27/17 at 8:56am

QueenAlice said: "...essentially every show gets an instant standing ovation these days. Truly, we have reached a point in our society where it is absolutely meaningless."

Like a "gratuity".

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#151COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/27/17 at 9:39am

ghostlight2 said: ""Not a fictional couple. It's Kevin Tuerff and his then partner. He was at one of the performances I attended in DC. Though all characters were some kind of an amalgam of various people interviewed"

I apologize and I stand corrected, then, thanks Seattle Traveler. I honestly did a little googling to try to find out about them, but came up with nothing.I do feel a little better about it if it was basically a true story..."

Here you go: Stranded on 9/11, a small town in Canada showed him kindness. This is how he pays it forward.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

MyLife
#152COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:38pm

Count me in as another and and lover of this show. I saw Sunday's matinee and was taken away from the moment it began. I echo much of what was said but what I loved was how much I feel like I connected with the characters. There are a lot of them, and you don't learn as much about them as you would want but just enough to make them real and relatable. I'm definitely interested in learning more and will pick up The Day the World Came to Town.

I loved the show's pace. It's nonstop from start to finish, mimicking how the folks in Gander must have felt that week from the moment they turned on their radios and heard the news. The audience ate the whole show up, from every laugh to each tender moment. Colella didn't get applause mid-song as others have described but you could tell the audience was with her and focused. At the end, the audience leapt to its feet. There aren't many times where applause are appropriate in the show (see: the show's pace) so it seemed that the audience had so much pent up energy and appreciation that it needed to let it out. It made for a very special curtain call.  The music wasn't 'memorable' per se but it was it was energizing and wonderful to listen to at the time. I would love to give it another listen and fall in love with it all over again.

The show did something for me that Dear Evan Hansen tried but didn't come close to achieving - it made me empathize and feel. The characters in Come From Away,as I mentioned seem real and fleshed out (even without knowing an entire back story). In Dear Evan Hansen, everyone seems much more caricaturized, so while sad, I was unable to feel emotion as deeply as I though I would or wanted to. I'd describe Come From Away as natural and Dear Evan Hansen as contrived. I know that will be the unpopular opinion on these boards here but that's the beauty of theater.

I truly wish this show the best. It's going to rely on word of mouth so I will do my part and urge everyone I know to go see it, and urge myself to go see it again.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#153COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/27/17 at 2:26pm

Here's a photo from right orchestra showing the center orchestra front row. 

It does look like the stage is at head height but you can still see most of what's happening on stage.

https://m.imgur.com/a/iBm4x

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#154COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/28/17 at 9:41am

Honestly, the music doesn't appeal to me at all and I'm worried the story won't resonate with me as well since I'm not from New York and I was too young to remember 9/11. But these reviews are selling me. Is it still worth going to see?

MyLife
#155COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/28/17 at 9:55am

The fact that you weren't from New York doesn't matter. This isn't a New York story. It's a story of a Canadian town, its people, and passengers from planes who were from all over the USA and world. Go see it. If you were too young to remember 9/11, it'll give you insight into how people felt that day,that week, and ever since. The world changed that day for good. It's part of your history so I think it's worth seeing.

freewilma
#156COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/28/17 at 10:24am

dianamorales said: "Honestly, the music doesn't appeal to me at all and I'm worried the story won't resonate with me as well since I'm not from New York and I was too young to remember 9/11. But these reviews are selling me. Is it still worth going to see?

My 16-year-old son (who was almost 1 year old on 9/11) saw the show and LOVED it.  He's already counting the days until the release of the cast recording.  I will say, he does live in DC and may have a slightly different perspective on 9/11 as a result.  But I absolutely think this will translate to theatre-goers of all ages who are at least aware that 9/11 occurred.  I sent a group of 18 year olds who are casual theatre fans to see it the first weekend of previews and they gave it a big thumb's up! 

"

smidge
#157COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/28/17 at 11:27am

Any good work in theatre should resonate with you if done properly.  The music may be another issue. I haven't heard anything from this show yet, but maybe you may enjoy them in the context of the piece

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#158COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/28/17 at 11:29am

I saw this on Sunday and loved it. First things first, for those asking, you definitely do not need to be a New Yorker, or alive on 9/11, or affected personally, or American ... you just need to be a human. It's a human story and a beautifully told one at that. 

The music is great and the entire ensemble of 12 is working their tails off for 100 minutes - I was so impressed with how they transitioned between the different characters they are all asked to play. Some have wished that characters were more fleshed out, and I understand that, but to me it didn't really matter. Because there were so many characters, I didn't even remember all of their names but I can picture them and probably tell you exactly who they are and a character quirk if you gave me photo flashcards. They stick with you even though you don't know everything about their 4-5 day experience. 

The show made me, and those around me, cry at times, but it's also filled with great and clever humor. I agree with others who wished they had a chance to applaud at different moments during the performance, but as a result of that the audience went crazy at the end. I couldn't believe how almost every person in the theatre stayed to watch the band play for a few minutes after instead of rushing out. It was great!

I'm a Jenn Colella fan for sure and she is excellent in this, I loved her solo. I also particularly loved Rodney Hicks and Chad Kimball, but honestly the whole cast is great and many of them don't have a lot of big credits. This is a story of human kindness, love, and hope. I really hope that it is successful here on Broadway.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

MyLife
#159COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/28/17 at 12:02pm

I'm with you 100% NJ_BroadwayGirl. Never has a review so perfectly aligned with my thoughts.

To your list of standouts, i'll also add Astrid Van Wieren (Beulah).

MyLife
#160COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/28/17 at 2:18pm

Responding to some of the comments of the two Kevins: SPOILER ALERT

I also felt that there seemed to be tension between them from the beginning. I didn't feel that the break up was sudden nor that we deserved or needed to see more of an explanation. Kevin 2 wanted to go back to Brooklyn and be with his family. A lot of people's lives, priorities, perspectives, wants, and needs changed that day.I think the 'sudden' break-up reinforces that. It shows that 9/11 wasn't just an attack on our country but it profoundly changed the way that those were affected by it thought about and lived their lives.

cam5y
#161COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 1:01pm

Justin Trudeau is apparently going to turn up on March 15: https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/838072488059875332

smidge
#162COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 1:06pm

I thought he might turn up on opening night. Really looking forward to seeing this tomorrow!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#163COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 2:01pm

Hillary should join him!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#164COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 2:09pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Hillary should join him!

"

That would be fantastic!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Call_me_jorge
#165COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 2:15pm

cam5y said: "Justin Trudeau is apparently going to turn up on March 15: https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/838072488059875332

"

Lol "turn up." Is come From Away a show you get really turnt watching? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge
#166COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 2:35pm

This map is amazing https://www.facebook.com/ComeFromAway/posts/1941994529367956:0

cam5y
#167COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 3:38pm

From what I understand, Justin was no stranger to getting turnt in his youth. And indeed, most Newfoundlanders are well accustomed to it. Probably not during the show though.

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#168COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 6:02pm

Went back for trip # 2 today, and loved it even more (and I've seen DEH 4 times). Tamika Lawrence was in for Q.Smith. While I loved Tamika in RENT, I preferred Q. Smith in this show. Planning on going back for trip #3. Everyone should see this show. It's full of energy, heart and soul. It shows that there are still people in this world that care about one another.

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#169COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 6:20pm

I wonder if this is the first time one of the understudies went on since they started previews?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

roadmixer
#170COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 7:10pm

Is it me or does this show's logo seem to evoke something familiar....

Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau Has His Tickets to COME FROM AWAY

Image result for Wayne's World Color Logo

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#171COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 7:13pm

Call_me_jorge said: "This map is amazing https://www.facebook.com/ComeFromAway/posts/1941994529367956:0

"

when I saw the show last Sunday, the map of the US & Canada was crowded already. There's also a separate map of the New York City area(50 mile radius) that's nearly full already. I wonder how long they'll keep the maps up or how long they'll keep letting people pin their home towns.

HSky
#172COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 7:15pm

I was at the Wednesday matinee and Susan Dunstan was on as Beulah.

Call_me_jorge
#173COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 7:25pm

roadmixer said: "Is it me or does this show's logo seem to evoke something familiar....

Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau Has His Tickets to COME FROM AWAY

Image result for Wayne's World Color Logo

"

I'm pretty sure Wayne's world is neither the first or last to use that.

DebraR
#174COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 3/4/17 at 7:27pm

Has anyone rushed for tickets on a weekend lately?  I know during the week you dont have to get there terribly early but how about on the weekend?  Would love any info.

Thanks!

Videos