pixeltracker

Hamilton in San Francisco- Page 2

Hamilton in San Francisco

HeleneIsASlut
#25Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/10/17 at 7:47am

Can some going tonight please post the understudy list? Thank you! Enjoy the show.

broadwaysfguy
#26Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/10/17 at 11:30am

Hamilton Day is TODAY!  WooHoo!

Checklist for hamilton Day

1) Listen to First few tracks of the TRIPLE Platinum Cast recording

2) Watch a few tracks online of some video performances of hamilton tunes

3) see if i won lottery for tomorrow

4) book early dinner before show

5) arrive at show at 7pm to enjoy crowd buzz

6) pick up free copy of the large hamilton program which is free to all shn members

7) Bring binoculars (even though im in the 9th row) I like to watch facial expressions

Hamilton in San Francisco go in at 730 to get my playbill (and a few extras), check out the stage and the side (limited view seats) in case I want to buy those for future show-look for other friends attending first show, sneak a few photos

9) 1 cocktail before first act for show enhancement

10) in my seat at 750 ready to go!!!

11) be blown away by incredible cast and show

12) text friends about why they must see this show

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#27Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/10/17 at 11:39am

Photos from last night's dress rehearsal:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRcx7AcFKCW/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRcnU2kF9He/?taken-at=8648364

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRcRLpCAIbD/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

LittleCheno
#28Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/10/17 at 6:27pm

Just as a heads up, random face-value tickets are starting to pop up on the SHNSF website. I just found one for next Sat. night for $89.00 :) And there were also some dates in April with $89 seats. So all is not lost if you haven't gotten your tickets just yet! Excited to see the show!!

SFCowboy
#29Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/10/17 at 9:20pm

Hi, folks. New to the board, though I've been a voracious reader for the past couple of years.

I just wanted to add to LittleCheno's comment. I just took a look, and it's WAY more than a random face-value seat, especially in March and May. It looks like SHN just released almost all of rows P and R center on many dates (although for outrageous prices of $760-$860), and also a ton of partial view seats on the side orchestra and mezzanine ($196), plus other scattered seats throughout the theatre including some rear balcony seats for $100.

Pounce while you can! (And thanks to Cheno for the alert!)

broadwaysfguy
#30Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/11/17 at 4:03am

just back from first night of previews from the hamilton tour in San Francisco.

Videos, audios, the cast cd and all the rave reviews still did not completely prepare me for the all consuming and immersive experience of this transcendent theatre masterpiece.

It was truly beyond wonderful, and I'm already wondering many more times ill see this than my original plan of six times.

Will have a more detailed review tomorrow after I've processed a bit more.

Hamilfan2
#31Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/11/17 at 11:23am

Is anyone going to the tour in SF and able to grab me an extra Playbill?

LittleCheno
#32Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/11/17 at 2:31pm

Hamilfan2 said: "Is anyone going to the tour in SF and able to grab me an extra Playbill?

"I'm going next Saturday and can grab an extra for you. Just message me your address! 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#33Do lottery tickets count towards your six allowed?
Posted: 3/11/17 at 4:48pm

We're seeing it in May with four friends. We have our six allowed tickets (2 subscription, 2 member extras, 2 single sale). If I win the lottery, will that count towards my six ticket maximum?

I checked the limited FAQ and the T&C of the lottery and lots of words about limiting the number of entries per performance, but none on the total number of tickets per household for the full run. The single ticket sales FAQ page simply says 6 tickets per household for the run.

Updated On: 3/11/17 at 04:48 PM

Terracentric
#34Do lottery tickets count towards your six allowed?
Posted: 3/12/17 at 1:10am

I asked SHN via Facebook and SHN's social media contact (Jonathan) said lottery tickets won't count towards the 6 allowed.

conealpetterson
#35Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 3:50pm

I would love to hear some reviews from those who have seen the tour regarding the cast and their performances.  I've seen snippets on Instagram and they sound amazing.  My daughter and I are driving up from LA to see it on Friday.  

Looking at all the tickets popping up on the website, I am a little surprised that the theater held back so many tickets.  I understand why they were waiting on the partial view, but there are quite a few orchestra seats for $700-800. It seems like they would have been easier to sell to subscribers or at the initial sale. It will be interesting to see if all the seats in that price range sell.    I think subscribers have most of those tickets for the first few weeks of Hamilton in LA.  They had subscriber cards on the seats at the Pantages on Friday night and it was the majority of the seats in the orchestra section.  

broadwaysfguy
#36Do lottery tickets count towards your six allowed?
Posted: 3/12/17 at 4:26pm

Hi everyone!

Wow its been a fun 48 hours!  

Saw Hamilton SF for the first time ever live by seeing the first two preview performances back to back on friday and saturday night, and this production is spectacular.

Overall impressions-this cast is already performing at a very high level, so dont be worried about seeing a preview vs waiting a few weeks.

Joshua Henry walks out at the opening curtain and looks and acts as if he was born to play Aaron Burr..the Chicago folks already know what I mean!  I loved him already from seeing him in Violet, and his take on the role is to be charming calculating and waiting, until he devolves into a man determined to murder his lifelong adversary.  His performances of Wait for it and Room Where it happens were mezmerizing, and his voice is just beautiful. His presence on stage is so large that you want to follow him whether he's talking or not. Easy bet he will be playing this role on broadway or London soon, its probably his choice.

Michael Luwoye as Hamilton-whoever foudn this guy deserves another Tony!!! He is a little shorter than Henry, with a full beard. His take on Hamilton is gritty, down and dirty and angry-i really thought he was going to punch Washington at one point. He sounds a LOT like Lin when he is word rapping, and his singing is incredible( he was standby for Burr/HAmilton) on broadway and once played both rolls in a day. His acting can also be very tender and emotional, and he was crying visbly during a few of the appropriate sad scenes. He will also be getting the lead on broadway inthe near future.  A huge talent and amazing gift for those of us outside of new york city. Its also very interesting to have both hamilton and burr be african american, for some reason ive yet to put words on....

I spoke with Michael friday night, he said they will likely have him sit out one night per week, but have not determined the night yet.  I hope its not tuesday, because I have tues tix coming up....

Solea Pfeiffer is a sweet, breathtakingly beautiful and wonderful singing Eliza, and has fantastic chemistry with Michael and wonderful harmonies with her sisters. Her singing on Burn made me absolutely fall in love with that song.

Emmy Raver Lampman- was a strong and powerful Angelica, with plenty of attitude and great chops-her highlight for me was of course the beautiful and sad "satisfied"  I have to admit her very modern hairstyle, a modified mohawk was a bit distracting and felt out of synch for the first few tunes, but i enjoyed her performance so much that went away

Rory OMalley is such a hilarious King George and everyone knows, and he squeezes every drop out of the role-the fans loved loved loved him!!!

Jordan Donica as lafayette/Jefferson- I was a little nervous about this role, becuase Daveed played it sooo big. He did a very good job friday night, and went much bigger saturday night and saturday was a very satisfying performance

Isaiah Johnson as George Washington-historically, we all know washington was very tall for his time 6 foot 2, so having a smaller actor play the father of our nation was also a tad out of place. Isaiah again made that go away very quickly, as a very strong actor and singer. While he was very good friday, he let loose on one last time with an unbeleivably soulful interpretation that got HUGE audience recognition

Amber inman as Peggy-she sings in a deep low voice during her seduction song in act two, which seemed off relative to the recording, and I didnt really buy the seduction scene somehow. She sounded great as one of the three sisters. She was probably the least standout for me of the featured performers, but shes new to the role so im looking forward to see her grow in it.

I found the rest of the cast to be very very good in their roles 

The dancing and choreography was incredible, and the costumes rocked, especially jeffersons and king georges. 

As someone who had only seen video before, seeing the entire stage and how its utilized on both levels for both the dance and non dance numbers so and the brilliant use of the revolving stage was absolutely mesmerizing and one of the reasons to get a center orch seat if you can so you can fully experience it.

I watched the room where it happens from the very back orch on saturday and felt it translated very well at back orchestra

The sound was great (orpheum has a rep for crappy sound) I spoke on friday with Alex Lacamoire who does the orchestrations for hamilton, and he said they had been working very hard to balance the sound around the cavernous orpheum, which seats nearly 2300 vs 1300 at the rodgers.  

One extra treat saturday was sitting next to and visiting with producer and Public theatre artistic director Oskar Eustis. He tooks some notes throughout the show, and said he was incredibly enthusiastic about this cast, which was great praise coming from a guy whos probably seen hamilton 100 times....

So there you have it, folks....Im going back as often as I can to see this while its in SF, and hope you all get to see and enjoy it as well.

PS friday vs saturday-  Friday was absolutely fantastic, I was in j110 center orch right and i was blown away, partially just by the newness and by how much is going on at every moment of the show. Saturday, from L101 on the aisle dead center, several actors turned in much bigger performances, and it was definitely an even better show.  I cant wait to see it a month from now, and am confident this cast will satisfy most of those who saw the OBC live. 

PPS on seating and views

For those with side orch seats-i had friends sit in limited view seats in row F (11-13) and they said they were able to follow everything very well, and only missed seeing dancers on the second level on the left side. I sat in a few seats that are marked obstructed, and in those you do lose a bit of the deep back stage as well as the wall on the side you are on

Upfront-the stage is HIGH, as they put the rotating stage on top of the other stage, if you are in the first three rows, you cuf off feet for the front of stage actors.  I love being close and my season tix are row c, so im fine with it.  It takes about row j in the center to have line of sight with the stage floor.

I didnt watch any of the show upstairs, will do that next time i see the show march 29th

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#37Do lottery tickets count towards your six allowed?
Posted: 3/12/17 at 4:54pm

I really want to know how the dynamic of the Schuyler sisters is different from previous casts. The three seem to be a lot closer in age than previous trios and Emmy, is a lot younger than Renee, Mandy and Karen. Not doubting her acting skills, but I'd imagine Emmy's take would be unique.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

conealpetterson
#38Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 5:30pm

Thanks so much for your review broadwaysfguy.  I can't wait to see it on Friday.

LaneBryant
#39Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 5:42pm

I just have to reply to one part of this "review", because it irked the hell out of me....

"she sings in a deep low voice during her seduction song in act two, which seemed off relative to the recording"

Do you understand music and voices? You do know that 3 different people could sing the same song and it'll sound completely different based on tone and tambre and where the music sits in an actors voice? Relative to the recording - just because Jasmine sang it first doesn't mean it's the gospel according to the album! It can change based on interpretation. Just like it not being a problem that Isaiah is short....I mean, was George Washington also a black man.....??? NO Emmy has a modern hairdo..... You realize they're also rapping......right? 

Some of this review just sound a little....odd lol But Happy Sunday! 

SacPsych Profile Photo
SacPsych
#40Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 6:15pm

Thank you so much for the heads up about the newly released seats!  After a day of frustration when tickets first went on sale, I had resigned myself to missing this one.  I just snagged a pair of balcony seats in July for $100 each.  Partial view, but I'm just thrilled I'll be getting to go at all!

HeleneIsASlut
#41Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 6:48pm

I did think it was interesting that Emmy is using her own hair for the role. When she covered it on Broadway and in Chicago she was wigged. 

Terracentric
#42Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 7:01pm

@broadwaysfguy: Thanks for your review and description of seat views. I'm anxious about my seats. I have orchestra row m, 10 and 12 -- the very last of the non-partial view seats. My original subscription seats were mezz row j center but I traded for orchestra. Now I have trade-in remorse. :-

broadwaysfguy
#43Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 8:12pm

hi Jorge

not having seen the other casts, its difficult to gauge the differences in sister dynamic and chemistry-i thought they came across well overall.

based on video ive seen, i think the chemistry with the OBC sisters was very strong, but given these are only the first two previews, im sure it will get stronger.

broadwaysfguy
#44Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 8:16pm

hi Helene

that's really interesting information that Emmy wigged up when covering the role in NYC and Chicago, so the decision to go with the natural hair might be some statement by the direction to give her an edgier look

It may be as simple as emmy lobbied them to let her go natural because those wigs on for nearly four hours eight times a week are really really uncomfortatable. If stage door is slow during one of my upcoming weekday performances, ill ask her. 

broadwaysfguy
#45Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 8:20pm

lanebryant

im always happy to engage in respectful conversation with other posters.your posting did not feel respectful, so ill pass on any reply-best wishes 

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#46Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 9:27pm

Terracentric said: "@broadwaysfguy: Thanks for your review and description of seat views. I'm anxious about my seats. I have orchestra row m, 10 and 12 -- the very last of the non-partial view seats. My original subscription seats were mezz row j center but I traded for orchestra. Now I have trade-in remorse. :-

"

Our subscription seats are similar to yours, just the opposite side: N9 and N11. Same seats we had for Finding Neverland and they were fine for that show. Hope the same is true for HAMILTON. 

Updated On: 3/12/17 at 09:27 PM

HeleneIsASlut
#47Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 9:48pm

broadwaysfguy said: "hi Helene

that's really interesting information that Emmy wigged up when covering the role in NYC and Chicago, so the decision to go with the natural hair might be some statement by the direction to give her an edgier look

It may be as simple as emmy lobbied them to let her go natural because those wigs on for nearly four hours eight times a week are really really uncomfortatable. If stage door is slow during one of my upcoming weekday performances, ill ask her.

my thought was the women she covered on Broadway and in Chicago (Goldsberry and Olivo) both had longer hair  so for continuity she was wigged. But since she is lead. She sets the precedent maybe. It doesn't really matter. Either way I'm sure she is thrilling. 

"

bear88
#48Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:02pm

I appreciate everyone's feedback, as it seems many us have some concern about the side orchestra seats. I'm not planning to go until Memorial Day weekend (H 10, 12, 14 - limited view), so I won't know for sure until then. But it sounds, based on the stage photo and the comments, that I will miss second level activity on the right side and perhaps some deep stage action because our seats are close and the stage is high.

I think you folks in M and N should be fine. You will be above the stage, and your seats aren't even limited view.

Having seen the show from the center rear mezzanine of the smaller Richard Rodgers Theatre, I did like the panoramic view of everything. But as this will be my second time, I like the idea of seeing everyone up close.

Terracentric
#49Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/12/17 at 10:04pm

@PatrickDC: Thanks for the info. Good to know my seats are fine.

I saw $200 orch center seats for March 14. Practically the whole center row R was available. I was tempted to get a couple but I'm seeing Into the Woods that day and would have to call SHN and be on hold for an hour or more to exchange those ITW tix.

Updated On: 3/12/17 at 10:04 PM