pixeltracker

Hamilton in San Francisco- Page 4

Hamilton in San Francisco

BroadwayMomma
#75Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 12:55pm

SHN just released many $196 partial and obstructed view seats for Thursday (opening night).  

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#76Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 1:38pm

A lot of seats just opened up for this Thursday.  After seeing it on Broadway, looking forward to seeing this one again.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#77Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 1:52pm

With all these seats opening up at lower prices than expected, do you think the Hamilton team overestimated how much people in San Fran would pay for the show?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

basketcase
#78Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 2:15pm

Call_me_jorge said: "With all these seats opening up at lower prices than expected, do you think the Hamilton team overestimated how much people in San Fran would pay for the show?"

I don't think that's what that means at all. The production usually holds most, if not all, of the tickets for opening night for the company's family, friends, invited guests, local celebrities etc. It's not that uncommon for them to later release tickets that have gone unused.

As for the days other than opening night, available tickets are few and far between, and largely in the same couple of rows. They're likely house tickets that haven't been claimed or tickets that were otherwise being held by the production or venue. This show is having no problem filling seats, even at these outrageous prices and I have no doubt they'll continue to do so for the duration of the run here.

CPB2
#79Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 2:30pm

Looks like the entire Loge and Mezzanine just went on sale for opening night. Non-obstructed rear orchestra seats available as well.

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#80Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 2:41pm

BroadwayMomma said: "Yes, the $500+ tickets and $800+ that don't sell are eventually getting reduced to $196 either the day before or on the day of the performance.  These are center orchestra seats -- amazing seats.  You have to be checking pretty regularly though so you don't miss the window where they get reduced.  For example, both performances for tomorrow (Sunday) currently have $500+ center orchestra seats, but they will get reduced at some point today or tomorrow if they don't sell.  Now, this might only hold true for preview performances, but we'll see.  

"

Thank you!  So I have already purchased 6 tickets at the $524 per seat price during the public sale...if I want to try for these newly released seats, do I need to have a friend or family member purchase them with their credit card because of the household limit?  Or could they use our credit card to buy the tickets?  I would gladly return my purchased seats if I could snag lower priced seats earlier in the run, but I am pretty sure that I can't return them, or can I?.  Are the last minute tickets available at Will-Call only, and who would need to pick up the tickets, the credit card holder or the SHNF account holder?  

aEnigma7345
#81Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 4:10pm

basketcase said: "Ryan Vasquez had a put-in for Burr yesterday, but he wasn't on for the actual show. I was there last night and Joshua Henry was Burr.

Watched a clip of Ryan Vasquez on YouTube performing "She Used to be Mine" from the Waitress Broadway show.  Pretty good singer, a bit raw.  He looked a bit nervous and seemed to have tried to overcompensate a bit by acting goofy at times (perhaps as a defense mechanism b/c audiences were laughing at him, I suppose b/c he was singing a song that is typically sung by a female).    

Personality wise though, he reminds me of Rob Gronkowski (from the New England Patriots).  He's quite young and too much of a frat boy type (check out his Facebook page and you'll see what I mean), but he's got a lot of raw talent.

Interestingly, I would have loved to see his interpretation of Aaron Burr.  He would have been the first white guy to have a lead male role in Hamilton too!  Thayne Jasperson went on as John Laurens/Phillip Hamilton, Carleigh Bettiol went on as Eliza, and Amber Ardolino recently went on as Peggy/Maria Reynolds, but Vasquez would have been the first white guy to have had a starring role in Hamilton!  

Updated On: 3/19/17 at 04:10 PM

BroadwayMomma
#82Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 5:46pm

"Thank you!  So I have already purchased 6 tickets at the $524 per seat price during the public sale...if I want to try for these newly released seats, do I need to have a friend or family member purchase them with their credit card because of the household limit?  Or could they use our credit card to buy the tickets?  I would gladly return my purchased seats if I could snag lower priced seats earlier in the run, but I am pretty sure that I can't return them, or can I?.  Are the last minute tickets available at Will-Call only, and who would need to pick up the tickets, the credit card holder or the SHNF account holder?  

"

I doubt they'll let you cancel your previously-purchased tickets.  And, yes, my husband had to show his ID at will call.  Good luck!

Updated On: 3/19/17 at 05:46 PM

conealpetterson
#83Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 6:23pm

There are two Ryans in the cast.  Ryan Alvarado is listed as the standby for Hamilton and Burr and went on as Hamilton last week.  Ryan Vasquez is in the ensemble and was in Waitress.  He is the understudy for Hamilton and Burr.  Ryan Vasquez had a put in as Burr, but hasn't gone on yet.  He was James Reynolds in the show I saw.  I'll be interested to see how he does as Hamilton or Burr. I agree that he was not great in that Waitress clip.  When you understudy for Joshua Henry or Michael Luwoye, the bar is set pretty high.

Updated On: 3/19/17 at 06:23 PM

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#84Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 6:27pm

aEnigma7345 said:
Interestingly, I would have loved to see his interpretation of Aaron Burr.  He would have been the first white guy to have a lead male role in Hamilton too!  Thayne Jasperson went on as John Laurens/Phillip Hamilton, Carleigh Bettiol went on as Eliza, and Amber Ardolino recently went on as Peggy/Maria Reynolds, but Vasquez would have been the first white guy to have had a starring role in Hamilton!  

Actually Ryan Vasquez and Carleigh Bettiol are only half white. The other half would be Hispanic. Also, Vasquez is a Hispanic last name :)

MyLife
#85Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 6:31pm

aEnigma7345 said: "basketcase said: "Ryan Vasquez had a put-in for Burr yesterday, but he wasn't on for the actual show. I was there last night and Joshua Henry was Burr.

Watched a clip of Ryan Vasquez on YouTube performing "She Used to be Mine" from the Waitress Broadway show.  Pretty good singer, a bit raw.  He looked a bit nervous and seemed to have tried to overcompensate a bit by acting goofy at times (perhaps as a defense mechanism b/c audiences were laughing at him, I suppose b/c he was singing a song that is typically sung by a female).    

Personality wise though, he reminds me of Rob Gronkowski (from the New England Patriots).  He's quite young and too much of a frat boy type (check out his Facebook page and you'll see what I mean), but he's got a lot of raw talent.

"

I fail to see your point as I'm pretty sure Vasquez is Hispanic. And also.. The King... they've all been white.

aEnigma7345
#86Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 8:03pm

True, but King George III has been the only main role in Hamilton that is reserved for a Caucasian actor. Though Jin Ha (Korean American) has also played King George III on several occasions in Chicago.  

Interestingly, Javier Munoz was actually an understudy for King George at one point before taking over the role of Hamilton!  

as for Ryan Vasquez, he's Caucasian looking and could pass for white.  Same for Carleigh Bettiol.  I am aware that Vasquez is a Spanish name (I think Colombian if I recall) and ethnically he probably identifies as Hispanic.  But unlike most of the Hispanic actors who've had lead roles in Hamilton, Ryan has a far more Caucasian appearance.  It would be interesting to see his take on Aaron Burr (or even Alexander Hamilton) to see how it shapes the perception or dynamic of the show.  But...he seems far more suitable to be King George III.    

He is dating Solea Pfeiffer (who is Eliza in the SF production) it seems, judging from their instagram pics and Facebook profiles.  So it seems like a combo package.  

I think I am the President of the Unofficial Ryan Vasquesz Fanclub!  lol.  I might be busting his chops, but I kinda like the guy.  He is the Great White Hope.  Kinda like that athletic white guy on the basketball or football team who has real skillz (though that honor probably goes to Thayne Jasperson, lol).  I've always joked to my friends that Hamilton the musical is like the Georgetown Hoyas basketball team.          

Updated On: 3/19/17 at 08:03 PM

conealpetterson
#87Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 8:23pm

My daughter and I drove up from Los Angeles to see the show on Friday night.  This was my first time seeing it live, but I've seen tons of videos of the OBC and listened to the Cast recording and have heard clips of the Chicago cast.  .  

Michael Luwoye - I loved him as Hamilton.  He is equally wonderful rapping and singing and portrayed Hamilton with passion and determination.  He made some different choices in the role and they really worked (from his expressions to ways he said certain lines).  He conveyed so much emotion in ACT 2 -  he just sobbed and shook when Eliza took his hand in "It's Quiet Uptown" and it was beautiful.

Joshua Henry - I'm a huge fan and he is amazing as Burr.  I haven't seem Leslie Odom Jr. in the role but have seen him sing Hamilton songs in concert.  I love Leslie and think Joshua matches him in the singing.  I had a moment of pure bliss listening to him sing "Wait for It" and his "Room Where it Happens" was powerful.  The look on his face when Hamilton chooses Jefferson in the "Election of 1800" was everything.

Emmy Raver-Lampman was absolutely stellar as Angelica.  Her "Satisfied" gave me chills and my daughter said the same thing.  She conveyed the longing and regret in that song perfectly.

I enjoyed Solea as Eliza.  Her singing voice is perfect for the role and her "Burn" was pretty devastating.  Her performance didn't make me cry though.  Phillipa made me cry just watching the video when Phillip dies and in "It's Quiet Uptown".  We will see the show in August in Los Angeles and I look forward to seeing how she grows in the role.  

I was a little disappointed in Amber Iman's performance.  I have watched lots of clips of her on YouTube and love her voice.  I think she is amazing.  She was great as Peggy, but I agree with broadwaysfguy, I didn't like her version of "Say No to This."  She sings it in a husky, deep voice and my daughter said it sounded like she was holding back a lot.  Maria Reynolds is a desperate woman and her performance didn't convey it.  I am all for actors making different choices and making the role their own, but this just didn't work for me.  Others may love it.

Rory was a lot of fun as King George.  He hammed it up and got a lot of laughs.

Jordan Donica was excellent as Lafayette/Jefferson.  I just don't know that anyone is going to equal Daveed in my eyes.  I liked Jordan's French accent as Lafayette and I think he will grow in the Jefferson role.  He was a lot of fun.  I feel like his weakness showed in the cabinet meetings.  Compared to Michael, he clearly lost those battles.  I know Hamilton was supposed to win, but he just didn't feel taunting and condescending enough as Jefferson in the battles.  When Michael rapped his party, I was ready to follow whatever he said.

Ruben Carbajal was great as Laurens/Phillip.  His part in "Take a Break" was really funny.  He seems perfect for this part.  

Josh Andres Rivera, one of the swings, was on as Mulligan/Madison and did a great job.  He stumbled over a couple lines, but it was his first time on.  

The sound quality was great the night we went.  No issues, which is great that early in the run and in such a big theater.  Hopefully, they will be able to replicate that when in comes to the Pantages, which is even bigger (about 12 rows deeper).  

We sat in row T to the side.  We were right behind the handicapped seats with a bar in from of us, so we had tons of leg room and a great view because the seats in from of us were a little lower.  It was close enough to see faces, though we missed a bit on left side of the stage. 

My daughter wanted to stage door after.  The actors started coming out about 10 minutes after the show and were incredibly gracious.  

Updated On: 3/19/17 at 08:23 PM

aEnigma7345
#88Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 8:40pm

Thanks for your thorough review, conealpetterson.

I don't think anybody is going to compare to the original cast.  They are just perfect, especially their chemistry. And they just defined their roles; all the subsequent actors will have to live up their legacy.  It's difficult to replicate Daveed Diggs b/c he just brings such a unique angle to his role as Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson.  Plus, Diggs is a master rapper.  He can bust those rhymes like nobody's business.  Just trying to rap Guns & Ships is a difficult feat and one that takes exceptional skill.  Diggs is a master of the wordplay.  

Daveed Diggs is a character and he makes Thomas Jefferson likable, even if he is a villain of sorts in Hamilton's eyes.  I wouldn't necessarily define his Diggs as threatening or menacing, but definitely conniving and knows how to get under Hamilton's skin.  He is the biggest lost of this show, imho.  

conealpetterson
#89Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/19/17 at 8:55pm

I felt like Michael, Joshua and Emmy were all amazing in their roles.  Jordan Donica did great with the rapping.  I didn't hear him slip up at all.  It's the presence that I missed.  I imagine the chemistry will grow with the tour cast as they are together longer.  

I completely forgot Isaiah Johnson as George Washington.  His singing and rapping was wonderful, but I wanted him to be a little bit bigger presence as George Washington.  His "One Last Time" was great and I think he will grow in this role.  He has a lot of talent.

broadwaysfguy
#90Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/20/17 at 2:12am

thanks all for your reports on the preview nights

this cast is fantastic and im excited to get back soon-all the available seats opening night are suprising

tsarles
#91Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/20/17 at 3:01pm

Hey how were your partially obstructed seats? I'm seeing it next week and have M 14-16 and a little worrried I might miss some of the show. What were your experiences? Would you recommend closer to the front partial obstructed or far back in the mezzanine and orchestra closer to the middle? More seats have been released and I'm considering switching. Reassure me!

broadwaysfguy
#92Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/20/17 at 3:46pm

hi tsarles

if youve never seen hamilton and have theatre binoculars i would consider moving to rear mezz center for best line of sight full stage view and sound quality

its always a personal bias of mine to be closer than farther and if you like to see the actors expressions and dont have binoculars orch m is your only choice as the mezz/loge starts way back over the far rear orch

my friend in partial obst seats said sound on the sides was great and they did not feel they missed anything critical to the show with the severe sode views

tsarles
#93Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/20/17 at 4:48pm

I have the option of sticking with my M 14, 16 seats but I could also exchange for rear Mezz on a different day. I agree with you that I like to be up close to see the details and I don't have theater binoculars. Would you recommend sticking with my side view seats and sacrifice angle perspective for closer distance to the stage? Would you say more action happens on the top right or top left of the stage? I'm afraid if I'll miss a lot of the action on the top right, is there a lot of stuff that goes on there?

bear88
#94Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/20/17 at 6:30pm

I saw the show on Saturday with my daughter (our second time, as I saw almost all of the original cast last year, sans Lin and Oak, in New York City). I had better seats this time, center orchestra in Row P, and noticed little things (hand movements by the dancers, facial expressions) that were hard to see from the rafters at the Richard Rodgers.

I went into the show determined not to compare the touring cast, at the beginning of their second week performing together, with the Broadway cast that had been together for well over a year. But the comparisons were tough to avoid, in part because seeing Hamilton with a new cast, who have varying levels of experience in the show and approach their roles a differently, does alter it in noticeable ways. For someone seeing it for the first time, I doubt this would affect their experience. The company is excellent, the music sounds the same (a legitimate concern given the much larger size of the Orpheum). It's the same, outstanding show.

The first thing that seemed different from the outset is that Aaron Burr dominates the show even more than on Broadway. My daughter and I both said after the show that it could easily have been called, "Burr." Leslie Odom Jr. played Burr as tightly-controlled, cautious and guarded - and therefore a bit untrustworthy - even in lighter scenes. He exuded intelligence, but was surrounded by other geniuses and knew it. Joshua Henry is a more relaxed Burr. He's more charming and seems smarter than everyone else on stage, even Hamilton and especially Jefferson. As someone else commented, your eyes just naturally follow him, even when he's quiet. I have seen Henry once before, in Shuffle Along on Broadway, and recall reading gripes that he didn't get a big song of his own in that show. And now I understand the complaints. He nails Burr's big songs, along with the underrated "Dear Theodosiaand his part of the final duel. His "The Room Where it Happens" showstopper really does stop the show, and got the biggest ovation of the night by far. I'm still partial to Odom's version, which was my favorite all-time moment at a musical, but Henry is outstanding. I doubt I will see two Burrs as good as Odom Jr. and Henry. 

Henry can hardly be faulted for being so good, but his presence does tip the scales in the show. By making Burr even more captivating and sympathetic, he becomes the tragic hero of the musical in a way that even Odom - who played Burr colder - did not.

This creates some issues. Michael Luwoye isn't bad as Hamilton and makes some interesting choices to play him as an angry, young man. His retorts in the Cabinet Battles, especially in the second one, are less mocking than infuriated. He gets right in Jefferson's face, yelling at him. Luwoye makes for a less charming Hamilton overall, though he does well in "Farmer Refuted," a song that always works better in person. He is a good rapper with a powerful singing voice, which shows up nicely in "Hurricane," but "It's Quiet Uptown" left both my daughter and I a bit cold. His interactions with the Schuyler sisters and Maria Reynolds don't have the snap to them that they should, although in fairness, his interactions with all three actresses are probably a work in progress.

Emmy Raver-Lampman's unique hairstyle is very cool, and she sounded a lot like Renee Goldsberry's Angelica (remember, the look is supposed to be modern from the neck up), only without the latter's ability to maintain the vocal power during all of "Satisfied." She closes it with a flourish, though, that put her own stamp on the song. 

Solea Pfeiffer got off to a weak start as Eliza, and her voice was overwhelmed by the orchestra and the backup singers during "Helpless." But then she settled in, nailing all of Eliza's ballads and ending the show beautifully. She's ridiculously young, 21 or 22, and I suspect she has a bright future either as Eliza on Broadway/London or in other musicals that show off her lovely voice. 

I'm going to stick up for Amber Iman here. I'm as much in love with Jasmine Cephas Jones' voice and performance on "Say No to This" as the next guy, but Iman has a lower voice and even plays Maria a bit differently (less femme fatale, more a little disturbed). My daughter loved her take on Maria even more than I did, and we agreed that she was a total delight as Peggy. Iman made the audience laugh several times as Peggy, and she seemed to be a gifted comic actor.

Isaiah Johnson doesn't have Chris Jackson's imposing height as Washington, and he is clearly more comfortable when singing than acting as of now. (He lets Luwoye's Hamilton dominate their argument scene too much, answering too timidly at first.) But he's got a wonderful, soulful voice that brings home "One Last Time" very effectively. He's another young actor who should only get better.

Ruben Carbajal hits the ground running as John Laurens and is almost as good as Philip in the second act. He was one of my favorites and seemed like he had been playing the role for months, not days. Very impressive.

Josh Andres Rivera, an understudy playing the role for the second night, did fine as Mulligan/Madison. No mistakes.

Oh, the Lafayette/Jefferson part. The lingering memory of Daveed Diggs is difficult to escape. Jordan Donica recently played Raoul in Phantom on Broadway, but those skills don't really translate to this role. He was charming early on as Lafayette, but when the part gets impossibly hard, he struggled holding a French accent while keeping up his rap. (He held up better on the latter than the former.) As Jefferson, he got off to a good start, but he failed to walk the tricky tightrope of making the future president both ridiculous and extraordinarily intelligent. Too often, he seemed a little silly. Jefferson doesn't seem like a worthy foe of Hamilton, much less Burr. It throws off the balance of the second act. 

The tendency of the show to play a bit sillier is emphasized by Rory O'Malley, who tries too hard to milk the laughs that are there when you're playing King George. 

A few other notes: Some of the staging is a little different, and they move some things center stage, probably to accommodate folks in the side orchestra seats. (Example: Angelica isn't at the top of the stairs during most of her part of "Take A Break," so more people can see her.) 

For all my quibbles, though, it was fascinating to see different takes on the roles, to watch actors literally improve during a show, and to see budding stars nail their parts. I'm planning to go back in a couple of months, and it will be interesting to see how the San Francisco version of Hamilton has evolved.

Updated On: 3/21/17 at 06:30 PM

Hamilfan2
#95Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/20/17 at 7:28pm

Anyone going to the show here that can grab me an extra Playbill?  Would gladly pay shipping!

broadwaysfguy
#96Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/20/17 at 10:35pm

bear88

great to read a thoughtful knowledgable and nuanced review-very nicely done!!!

i live joshua henry yet i felt michael lewoye held his ground well in the two shows i saw. agree completely that if henry is too dominant it shifts balance of the show

i forgot the part about lafayettes accent shifting from french to austrian about half through guns & ships

i think he will continue to get better but daveeds may be the hardsst shoes to fill with this cast

broadwaysfguy
#97Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/20/17 at 10:35pm

bear88

great to read a thoughtful knowledgable and nuanced review-very nicely done!!!

i live joshua henry yet i felt michael lewoye held his ground well in the two shows i saw. agree completely that if henry is too dominant it shifts balance of the show

i forgot the part about lafayettes accent shifting from french to austrian about half through guns & ships

i think he will continue to get better but daveeds may be the hardsst shoes to fill with this cast

tsarles
#98Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:03pm

I can do that. PM me

tsarles
#99Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:06pm

Thanks for the great review! I know you mentioned that you had partial seats H 10-14 and I was wondering how obstructed these seats were. Do you miss a lot of the action? I'm going next week and have M 14-16, I'm a  little worried that Im going to miss a lot. What were your experiences like? Does it take from the overall show?