pixeltracker

Hamilton in San Francisco- Page 5

Hamilton in San Francisco

bear88
#100Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/22/17 at 3:00am

tsarles,

You might miss a little on the right side, upper level, but my guess is that at M, you won't miss much because you will be far enough back not to be too affected by the side angle. The seats I've got in H, while technically a little closer to the center, might be a bit of a problem because they are so close. I checked them out, and it's definitely a side view a lot of the time, with the second level cut off. (I forgot to look back to see how much of the rear stage would be cut off. I don't think that would be an issue for you in M, and show has been slightly restaged so that more action is in the center.)

One other thought: Even in my center orchestra seats in P, you do miss one thing that I enjoyed from the center rafters of the Richard Rodgers, the lighting effects in a song like "The Battle of Yorktown." So every seat, no matter how good, has its drawbacks. It's a matter of personal preference.

broadwaysfguy,

I always thought that Daveed Diggs would be the hardest performer to replace. He brought a combination of rapping chops, charm, charisma, and wicked intelligence to his dual roles that I doubt will ever be matched. That said, when I saw him, he had been playing Lafayette/Jefferson for more than a year, not counting all those rehearsals and workshops. Diggs had the role down, and from accounts I've read, he improved during the run. Moreover, he was playing off a cast that was equally experienced and talented and had been with the show from the start. It was, by that time, a smoothly-running machine. 

Jordan Donica has been playing Lafayette/Jefferson for a week. He's an excellent singer, and was at his most comfortable doing "What'd I Miss" at the beginning of the second act. He executed the big leap as Lafayette with flair. My daughter thought he did well overall. Will he match Diggs in time? I doubt it. Will he get more comfortable and better in the roles? I think so.

MyLife
#101Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:14am

aEnigma7345 said: "True, but King George III has been the only main role in Hamilton that is reserved for a Caucasian actor. Though Jin Ha (Korean American) has also played King George III on several occasions in Chicago.  

Interestingly, Javier Munoz was actually an understudy for King George at one point before taking over the role of Hamilton!  

as for Ryan Vasquez, he's Caucasian looking and could pass for white.  Same for Carleigh Bettiol.  I am aware that Vasquez is a Spanish name (I think Colombian if I recall) and ethnically he probably identifies as Hispanic.  But unlike most of the Hispanic actors who've had lead roles in Hamilton, Ryan has a far more Caucasian appearance.  It would be interesting to see his take on Aaron Burr (or even Alexander Hamilton) to see how it shapes the perception or dynamic of the show.  But...he seems far more suitable to be King George III.    

He is dating Solea Pfeiffer (who is Eliza in the SF production) it seems, judging from their instagram pics and Facebook profiles.  So it seems like a combo package.  

I think I am the President of the Unofficial Ryan Vasquesz Fanclub!  lol.  I might be busting his chops, but I kinda like the guy.  He is the Great White Hope.  Kinda like that athletic white guy on the basketball or football team who has real skillz (though that honor probably goes to Thayne Jasperson, lol).  I've always joked to my friends that Hamilton the musical is like the Georgetown Hoyas basketball team.        
"

There is so much wrong with this response I can't even begin to break it down. All I will say is that I disagree with you entirely.

conealpetterson
#102Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/22/17 at 11:55am

tsarles - we were in row T seats 17 and 19 and we missed a tiny bit of action in the back left corner, but I didn't feel that it diminished the show.  

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#103Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/22/17 at 5:48pm

http://sfist.com/2017/03/22/select_face-value_hamilton_tickets.php

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#104Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/22/17 at 5:57pm

According to Emmy's Instagram story today was the first SF eduham. I'm shocked I didn't read anything about prior to it, unless I just misssed it.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#105Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/22/17 at 6:03pm

It was all over twitter.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#106Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:59pm

I saw the preview on 19th. I've seen Ham on Broadway three times (both Lin and Javier as Ham, Jonathan and Andrew as KGIII). I won't go into detail but this is the first time I didn't cry during Philip's death scene and It's Quiet Uptown (and I even cried listening to the CD). I liked Emmy's Angelica but her hairstyle didn't change like Renee, so it doesn't seem she was aging. Was Renee wearing a wig as she gets older in the show or it was all her natural hair? Emmy wore a wig (long hair) when she was Angelica on Broadway.

MyLife
#107Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/23/17 at 3:46pm

^Renee wore two different wigs, one in each act. You never saw her natural hair.

Rainah
#108Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 12:42am

I'm finding all their hair a little offputting to be honest. I really enjoyed the up in act one /down in act two hairdos of the original cast, and I don't know why they can't either wig them or request they grow their hair out. Renee wore a wig for her entire run. Javi wore a wig. Jevon wears a wig. Even Anthony wore a wig for a few weeks when he cut his hair at the end of his run.

Between the short hair on the boys and Emmy's very modern hairstyle, I feel a little like we're losing something costuming wise (I feel the same, for the record, about Rua's hair. Understudies get a pass provided they're able to do something different between acts, even with short/no hair)

On the bright side, seeing a more full figured Peggy/Maria is lovely. :)

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#109Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 12:43am

I posted this on the general tour thread, but I have to chime in that I find Emmy's hair extremely distracting in these production photos:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Flash-Their-Shot-First-Look-at-the-National-Tour-of-HAMILTON-20170323

broadwaysfguy
#110Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 2:03am

thanks broadway concierge and rainah about emmys hair

I thought it was just me,

,,,,hair is an essential part of the costume and the period vibe they are trying to create

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#111Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 2:05am

I see it here in SF one week from today. But guess I'm missing something in the discussion about Emmy's hair. It's not like any of the actors look like the real people they're playing or have traditional looks for the period (except maybe the King in some ways). I'll have to wait a week to see why there is so much brouhaha over her hair style. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#112Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 8:19am

PatrickDC said: "I see it here in SF one week from today. But guess I'm missing something in the discussion about Emmy's hair. It's not like any of the actors look like the real people they're playing or have traditional looks for the period (except maybe the King in some ways). I'll have to wait a week to see why there is so much brouhaha over her hair style. 

"

Right?! Lol. If these people have problems with Emmy's hair they must have had problems with Daveeds hair or the entire ensemble. I think she looks beautiful and know she's giving a star turning performance on that Orpheum stage. Can't wait to follow her career as it goes on to bigger and better things 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Rainah
#113Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:05am

I'm not saying it's the end of the world or would ruin an otherwise excellent performance. I just think that we're missing something without the hair styles they started with. That means up in act one/down in act two for Hamilton and anyone playing two characters, and Eliza and Angelica having long hair that changes through the decades. And considering that many actors are wearing wigs long term and for seemingly superfluous reasons, I don't understand why Luwoye and Emmy can't (ANd Jordan Fisher, Jon Rua, ect)

Besides the top of act two hair for Angelica is just gorgeous. Renee looked incredible in it. 

broadwaysfguy
#114Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:17am

hamilton sf cast is awesome

emmy is awesome

her character would look better in the wigs used by 

the nyc leads

its a small footnote in a rave review...

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#115Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 2:34pm

HAMILTON Tour Review from the SF Chronicle. 

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#116Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 2:51pm

Okay I looked at the curtain call pic and Emmy indeed changes her hair style a bit but it's unnoticeable from a distance (back orchestra); therefore it still doesn't show that she has aged.

Anyway, I agree with the critic's assessment of Luwoye’s Hamilton. When he meets Burr, he didn't show the arrogance that runs inside of him and comes off weaker than Burr, so you'd wonder why the rest of his squad immediately got drawn to him. I disagree about KGIII though. Rory is too hammy. The role itself is so juicy you don't need to be ham up, rather the more you play it seriously, it gets funnier (like Groff did). I liked Groff's performance because you can see KGIII's insanity flicking here and there.

MyLife
#117Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 3:35pm

Having seen both O'Malley and Luwoye in New York I disagree with review.

I also think O'Malley hams it up too much. BDJ and Groff handled the role with more sincerity and royalty than the other Kings who have followed (Rannells, O'Malley, and now Killam). I agree that it all becomes much funnier wehn you see how seriosu the King is about what he's saying. I find O'Malley plays the role like it's a joke, milking laughs out of places where they do not need to be, thus having the opposite effect and making the whole more exhausting than humorous.

As for Luwoye, he is my favorite Hamilton, having seen him, Miranda, Munoz, and Rua. I like that he's not cocky from the very beginning. I don't think it works if he's cocky. He should be visibly nervous (and Miranda was too at the end of the opening number) just arriving in NY. Cockiness doesn't make sense here. in He's passionate but still young and new. He's an excited little puppy, and that excitement is what attracts the Sons of Liberty. Here is someone who cares and isn't afraid to speak up. His words are eloquent and meaningful. He has charisma. "Let's get this guy in front of a crowd" because people will listen. After My Shot, Hamilton gains a following, and that's when the cockiness seems more appropriate. Luwoye does a lot of growth within the first 15 minutes of the show and it's perfect. The amount of character development within My Shot alone is astounding. I don't mind Luwoye merely serviceable at all. Perhaps the writer wanted to see a Luwoye play Miranda playing Hamilton.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#118Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 4:21pm

MyLife said: "As for Luwoye, he is my favorite Hamilton, having seen him, Miranda, Munoz, and Rua. I like that he's not cocky from the very beginning. I don't think it works if he's cocky. He should be visibly nervous (and Miranda was too at the end of the opening number) just arriving in NY. Cockiness doesn't make sense here. in He's passionate but still young and new. He's an excited little puppy, and that excitement is what attracts the Sons of Liberty. Here is someone who cares and isn't afraid to speak up. His words are eloquent and meaningful. He has charisma. "Let's get this guy in front of a crowd" because people will listen. After My Shot, Hamilton gains a following, and that's when the cockiness seems more appropriate. Luwoye does a lot of growth within the first 15 minutes of the show and it's perfect. The amount of character development within My Shot alone is astounding. I don't mind Luwoye merely serviceable at all. Perhaps the writer wanted to see a Luwoye play Miranda playing Hamilton."

YES. THIS. Thank you. I've seen four Hamiltons now, some multiple times (Luwoye, Miranda, McFerrin, and Muñoz), and Luwoye was my very favorite. His intention and growth as a character was just stunning.

broadwaysfguy
#119Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 9:20pm

what a beautiful description of michaels outstanding rendering of hamilton with more subtlies and nuances

a critic at sf gate called lewouyes performance

"serviceable" i was so offended i may write her boss and suggest a new critic.....

Westender2
#120Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:04pm

Hey does anyone want 2 super prime centre orchestra seats for tomorrow's matinee?  I was looking at seats and while I was searching a pair of the top price seats popped up for $202 each- normally the price of the restricted view.  

As much as I'd love to go I live no where near SF and just can't make it down.

They're in my basket through the SHN website for the next 17 mins but could drop them at a coordinated time so someone else could pick them up at face value.  These are normally the seats that got for over $800 each face value.

Cheers!

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#121Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:53pm

broadwaysfguy said: "a critic at sf gate called lewouyes performance "serviceable" i was so offended i may write her boss and suggest a new critic....."

Lily Janiak, the new theatre critic at the SF Chronicle has been an embarrassment since she started last year. Among her gems:
 - Considering "She Loves Me" as, most centrally, a story about workplace inequality
 - Calling the book to King & I creaky and wonders why Anna makes such a big deal about her house
 - Criticizing the sound at Fun Home because at one point there is a wall of sound that is cacophonous. Yes. That segment is called "Cacophony"

Updated On: 3/24/17 at 11:53 PM

broadwaysfguy
#122Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/25/17 at 1:05am

hi markbear

ah yes we have experienced this womans ineptitude 

previously-her king and i review was appalling and made it soind like she had no theatre background

im excited for other sf reviews to come out

its clear we have an amazing cast here in san francisco and its worth celebrating

im seeing the show wednesday and very excited to see how the cast is doing after three weeks of performances ....

btw with all the hamilton hubub make sure and see into the woods if you havent already-loved this stripped down version and cast!!!!!

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#123Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/25/17 at 1:14am

broadwaysfguy said: "btw with all the hamilton hubub make sure and see into the woods if you havent already-loved this stripped down version and cast!!!!!"

Saw it last night. I was a bit disappointed. I don't mind a minimal set and "let's put on a show to tell the tale" interpretation, but I felt that the victorian attic conceit was taken too far and I would have appreciated more distinct areas of the set and costuming to differentiate the tales. It was beautiful and consistent, but generally an unnecessary distraction to me. Also, this was the first production where the cow upstaged everybody.

But this is a Hamilton thread, so I won't go further. But I was glad I saw it. It was an interesting, intelligent, coherent interpretation of a favorite musical. But, for me, the high concept was a miss.

...and unless I win the lottery earlier, we're seeing Hamilton on May 13.

Updated On: 3/25/17 at 01:14 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#124Hamilton in San Francisco
Posted: 3/25/17 at 9:58pm

One of the hallmarks of this production (all three) is its ability to mine the synthesis of traditional period aesthetics with a contemporary vibe. A new Angelica look, like countless other possibilities down the road, is bound to throw people expecting the original -- heavier on traditional -- to be replicated. Remember, Daveed's look was totally his own, and a bald guy is playing his roles in NYC now.  This show is an iconoclastic take on history; it's mutable, flexible, re-invented every time it's re-cast and restaged. We'll see Asian Angelicas, and Burrs eventually.  We should welcome the show's shape-shifting manifestations. All good.   

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 3/25/17 at 09:58 PM