COME FROM AWAY Reviews

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#100COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 5:13pm

Saw this again today and fell in love again. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#101COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 5:18pm

I caught it again last night and was moved even more. I was able to notice small details that I missed the first time. The show was sold-out all week, so I'm curious to see what their grosses are tomorrow.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#102COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 5:24pm

Melissa25 said: "
I hope we get to see Jenn Colella perform Me and the Sky at the Tony's.  She is clearly a stand-out in a terrific ensemble.  I also really liked Rodney Hicks, Lee MacDougall and Astrid Van Wieren.  Recommended!"

The show has grown on me. When I first heard of the show about being 9/11 I was immediately turned off simply because I was in NYC on 9/11 and prefer not to remind myself of that day.

I bought a rush ticket and overall enjoyed the show. Yes, I would have preferred lesser characters and more character development but after a few days of listening to the songs, the musical grew on me. I paid full price for a front mezz ticket and watched it again last week and absolutely loved it. Yes, I prefer having intermission but I understand now how it's best for this ensemble show not to have an intermission. 

As for the song to be performed at the Tony's, I think it depends which parts of the show gets nominated. If the show gets a Tony nomination for Best Musical, then I think "Welcome to the Rock" would be performed. If Jenn Colella gets a nomination for Best Featured actress then I can see them performing a mashup/medley of "Welcome to the Rock" and "Me and the Sky."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#103COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 5:35pm

No doubt this gets a Best Musical nomination. I see them doing either "Welcome to the Rock" or "Heave Away/Screech In".

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#104COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 6:48pm

COME FROM AWAY Reviews

#105COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 3:39am

ACL2006 said: "No doubt this gets a Best Musical nomination. I see them doing either "Welcome to the Rock" or "Heave Away/Screech In".

I'd love to see the "prayer" number where the Jewish/Muslim/Christian hymns overlap, but that might not be 'up' enough for the Tony broadcast.  I just love it that the Tonys is almost a given for this show. I love it so much. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#106COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 11:57am

Julie Reiber! Are they replacing cast members already, or is she going to be a vacation swing/standby? (This is such an ensemble show I'm not sure what term they'd use.)

https://twitter.com/juliereiber/status/844294297218371585

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#107COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:05pm

Interesting. Could be an additional standby. Each standby currently covers 5 roles/tracks. For a show like this that has to be a large undertaking. Also, 9 out of the 12 cast members have been with the show since La Jolla/Seattle in 2015. That's two years.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#108COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:07pm

ACL, are box seats pretty much sold out in advance? Hoping to buy one for a matinee next week.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#109COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:14pm

i know box seats can't be bought in advance. At least not on Telecharge. Your best bet would be to contact the box office directly.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#110COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:20pm

I already knew they weren't being sold on Telecharge, but on the page under offers, it says they're sold at the box office. I won't get in until Tuesday so hopefully I'll be able to snag a pair.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#111COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:24pm

Good luck. If not, try asking for a rush ticket or SRO. The show's been selling out and SRO is perfect for this theater. Only $32.

HSky
#112COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:29pm

I'm guessing she's another person to cover - one of the first things that caught my eye in the playbill was only having four (two male, two female) standbys and wondering if it would be even possible to split track portions in a worst case scenario.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#113COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 1:12pm

I don't think it's possible for any roles in this show to be a split track. Adding Reiner and potentially another male standby makes perfect sense. We'll see whenever the cast list is updated.

#114COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 1:21pm

Just another reason to love this Canadian show -- creating jobs in American theater. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#115COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 2:50pm

I wonder if they've ever run into the cut/spilt track situation considering all the incarnations of this show, it must have come up.  What a headache it would be to sort out!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#116COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 2:54pm

Well, not on Broadway. These are the same u/s from the Toronto production, but this could be the reason why additional standbys are being brought in. Maybe some cast members have upcoming scheduled absences.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#117COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 3:50pm

That vulture review was totally idiotic, and I took great pleasure in telling him so.

http://docandraider.com

djoko84
#118COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 6:40am

Saw this last night and I have to say it was amazing. Don't know how anyone could say otherwise. It's so unfortunate it will have to compete against Dear Evan Hansen for the Tonys this year. Both deserve Best Musical. However, since DEH is ineligible for the pre-awards (it was nominated last year off-Broadway) I'm pretty cure Come From Away will sweep the Drama Desks and Outer Critics Awards.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#119COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:40pm

I feel like I'm going to lose my "LEADING ACTOR" promotion for saying this, guys, but ... I just did not like this one at all... I found it to be a little too fast moving without much character development or depth...

I would have preferred more depth-through-song moments like "ME AND THE SKY," even though I thought JENN COLELLA wasn't all that spectacular (imagine if IDINA had played that role...OMG!) 

I'm glad people are connecting with it but I think this show is my least favorite of the "hot tickets" this season... It just felt very mediocre from top to bottom! Dated, even... Guess I'm in the minority! Oh well...

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#120COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:49pm

Idina in that role sounds ridiculous. She's way over the top. The character is more laid back.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#121COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 9:35am

Maybe it's my browser, but it looks like the Vulture shut off comments on its appalling "review".

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#122COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 10:24am

Comments are definitely still on the Vulture review so yes, it's just your browser. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#123COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 5:55pm

Cool. Thanks. It looked like he was getting blasted all around for this, and I'd hate to miss out on the fun. COME FROM AWAY Reviews

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#124COME FROM AWAY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/17 at 5:11pm

So, I won the OBCR in an online contest, and now that it's sitting on my desk, I'm tempted... I usually don't listen to such things until after I see the show in person. Does it matter for this one? Or should I hold out?! Is it completely sung-through?