ANASTASIA Previews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#100ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 2:20pm

I'm sorry for your loss, Disney. Enjoy the show.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#101ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 3:32pm

Thanks all

holdyourbatboy
#102ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 4:08pm

Actually, "neonlightsxo", that was one of the more detailed and interesting reviews I've seen in this thread.  I actually liked the show in Hartford but the poster made some valid points.   There are going to be people that love it and people that don't - you'll just have to accept this.  Make a "fan" thread if you don't want to hear a review.

neonlightsxo
#103ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 4:11pm

??????

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#104ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 4:14pm

video of pre-show "curtain"

https://vimeo.com/209965113

Updated On: 3/24/17 at 04:14 PM

curel1
#105ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 4:28pm

Eliza2 said: "video of pre-show "curtain"

https://vimeo.com/209965113

"

Pretty!

ForB4
#106ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 4:40pm

holdyourbatboy said: "Actually, "neonlightsxo", that was one of the more detailed and interesting reviews I've seen in this thread.  I actually liked the show in Hartford but the poster made some valid points.   There are going to be people that love it and people that don't - you'll just have to accept this.  Make a "fan" thread if you don't want to hear a review.

"

That wasn't really detailed at all tho..

Anyway do you guys think this will have a long run? I probably won't be able to see this for a long time.

tdupuis14
#107ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 4:48pm

ForB4 said: "holdyourbatboy said: "Actually, "neonlightsxo", that was one of the more detailed and interesting reviews I've seen in this thread.  I actually liked the show in Hartford but the poster made some valid points.   There are going to be people that love it and people that don't - you'll just have to accept this.  Make a "fan" thread if you don't want to hear a review.

"

That wasn't really detailed at all tho..

Anyway do you guys think this will have a long run? I probably won't be able to see this for a long time.

"

They are already selling tickets until 2018 so there is a good chance that it will run for a least 9 months if not longer!

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#108ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 7:29pm

I am such a fan of RAMIN... But is his (let's be honest, GORGEOUS) presence worth the price of a ticket alone?? Any input would be great... I love going to shows but I am on the fence about this one... :)

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

djoko84
#109ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:48pm

Is there rush or lottery for this? Anyone go to the box office and ask for day-of tickets?

curel1
#110ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 10:53pm

djoko84 said: "Is there rush or lottery for this? Anyone go to the box office and ask for day-of tickets?

"

No rush, online lottery

disneybroadwayfan22
#111ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/24/17 at 11:53pm

A review of the changes from Hartford to Broadway. OH MY GOD! I can not wait to see this now!!!!

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I only saw the bootleg once when it was first released and my memory isn’t the best, so I couldn’t note every detail that I wanted to, but:

Subtle tweaking of the book throughout and Christy’s own improvements as an actress have made me really fall in love with her Anya. She’s still lost and dealing with severe trauma, so she won’t be an exact copy, but I thought her personality was a bit closer to the headstrong Anya from the cartoon this time. But it’s Christy’s own spin here, and you really see her confidence grow over time.

An example of the small changes: in the original ending, Anya and Dmitry are standing on the bridge in Paris when he tries to say goodbye and she runs off with him. On Broadway, this scene is subtly re-staged with the addition of a suitcase. Dmitry’s sitting on it glumly, then he stands and prepares himself to go. But Anya strides on up, slams that suitcase down, stomps on it, and uses her new height leverage to kiss him. Gives that scene a tiny extra kick.

Gleb is the most changed, as he’s the only one of the principal cast with a new actor for Broadway. He’s now played by the beloved Ramin Karimloo, and though I’m not familiar with his work…well, let’s just say I now understand why he’s so goshdang popular. He was given a new song toward the end of Act 1, ‘Still’, and it’s a beauty. Very powerful and layered with conflict. He appears more often throughout Act 2 now, and in Gleb and Anya’s scenes he seems to establish their connection better than in Hartford. He’s sweet and awkward in his attempts to be Anya’s friend at first, and then duty rears its ugly head and he has to grapple with a painful decision. I really didn’t like this character in Hartford, but I really get what they were going for now.

The backgrounds are improved, with a few more real props added in front. One example: the original Journey to the Past was in front of a purple night scene. The Broadway version adds a little more movement, and the background is changed to blossoming spring trees that sweep out to the Paris landscape.

Costumes are largely the same. Anya’s still blonde, that photo was unfortunately a trick of the light. But there are two changes I noticed: Vlad’s last suit jacket was changed from mustard yellow to a more fitting blue…or was it green? I’ve forgotten already. And as I mentioned last post, Anya’s ballet outfit is now a gorgeous replica of the blue dress from the animated version. It was so beautiful that there were audible gasps when we saw it—that shimmering in the cartoon is cleverly translated to the real world, let’s just say. Also, the burgundy velvet robe that appears in all the advertising is used for the reunion with Marie.

That’s about all I can remember! I can try to answer any other questions, but bear in mind that  I’m not as familiar with the bootleg as most of you.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#112ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 12:11am

^ Now THAT sounds like the Dmitry and Anya I know and love! And I'm such a nerd but I'm really happy to hear about the blue dress. It makes up for my disappointment at the close-ups of Belle's dress in the new BATB :)

Also, adding my condolences, disneybroadwayfan. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

curel1
#113ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 12:28am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "A review of the changes from Hartford to Broadway. OH MY GOD! I can not wait to see this now!!!!

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
I only saw the bootleg once when it was first released and my memory isn’t the best, so I couldn’t note every detail that I wanted to, but:

Subtle tweaking of the book throughout and Christy’s own improvements as an actress have made me really fall in love with her Anya. She’s still lost and dealing with severe trauma, so she won’t be an exact copy, but I thought her personality was a bit closer to the headstrong Anya from the cartoon this time. But it’s Christy’s own spin here, and you really see her confidence grow over time.

An example of the small changes: in the original ending, Anya and Dmitry are standing on the bridge in Paris when he tries to say goodbye and she runs off with him. On Broadway, this scene is subtly re-staged with the addition of a suitcase. Dmitry’s sitting on it glumly, then he stands and prepares himself to go. But Anya strides on up, slams that suitcase down, stomps on it, and uses her new height leverage to kiss him. Gives that scene a tiny extra kick.

Gleb is the most changed, as he’s the only one of the principal cast with a new actor for Broadway. He’s now played by the beloved Ramin Karimloo, and though I’m not familiar with his work…well, let’s just say I now understand why he’s so goshdang popular. He was given a new song toward the end of Act 1, ‘Still’, and it’s a beauty. Very powerful and layered with conflict. He appears more often throughout Act 2 now, and in Gleb and Anya’s scenes he seems to establish their connection better than in Hartford. He’s sweet and awkward in his attempts to be Anya’s friend at first, and then duty rears its ugly head and he has to grapple with a painful decision. I really didn’t like this character in Hartford, but I really get what they were going for now.

The backgrounds are improved, with a few more real props added in front. One example: the original Journey to the Past was in front of a purple night scene. The Broadway version adds a little more movement, and the background is changed to blossoming spring trees that sweep out to the Paris landscape.

Costumes are largely the same. Anya’s still blonde, that photo was unfortunately a trick of the light. But there are two changes I noticed: Vlad’s last suit jacket was changed from mustard yellow to a more fitting blue…or was it green? I’ve forgotten already. And as I mentioned last post, Anya’s ballet outfit is now a gorgeous replica of the blue dress from the animated version. It was so beautiful that there were audible gasps when we saw it—that shimmering in the cartoon is cleverly translated to the real world, let’s just say. Also, the burgundy velvet robe that appears in all the advertising is used for the reunion with Marie.

That’s about all I can remember! I can try to answer any other questions, but bear in mind that  I’m not as familiar with the bootleg as most of you.

"

Thanks for sharing!! Gah, I can't wait to see this!

disneybroadwayfan22
#114ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 7:29am

Thank you, Rose.

Any...reviews...at....all?

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#115ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 11:49am

Passing along a couple more minor reports from folks who were there. SPOILERS ahead on a couple of plot details, just FYI.

-The confrontation between Gleb and Anya at the end "really pays off" moreso than the previous version. Gleb in general has a clearer arc and his internal conflict is woven in more smoothly, at least in the opinion of the person who I spoke with.

-The banter between Dmitry and Anya is a little sharper and more like the movie

-They reinstated the plot point of Dmitry turning down the Dowager's reward, which I believe was not in the Hartford version.

Updated On: 3/25/17 at 11:49 AM

disneybroadwayfan22
#116ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 11:56am

Good God, the progress they're making with this! Why didn't Hunchback do the same thing?

The rejection of the reward was briefly mentioned at the end.

10086sunset
#117ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 12:14pm

neonlightsxo said: "10086sunset, hope all is OK with you! The second act definitely moves faster but I wouldn't necessarily say it's stronger. Some of the best music is in the first half."

Thanks Neon. Appreciate it.

George53
#118ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 6:13am

Full disclosure, Christy is my niece so I won't comment on her performance.  

My overall impression of the show is that it has risen to the level required for Broadway.  The new projections and costumes are great.  The show is much crisper especially Act 2.

The obvious major change is the addition of Ramin and everything they did to make his character more menacing, i.e. changes to lyrics, new projections, new song.   Ramin has added so much to the ensemble, everyone seems to be performing at his level.  His final confrontation with Christy now seems more believable.  

John and Caroline once again steal the show in the second Act.  They deserve a Tony for that one performance number alone.

I agree with someone who said Derek and Christy's relationship is closer to the movie.  They definitely have a nice chemistry.

Finally no matter what us "critics" think, the audience really loved the show.  As a proud uncle I am always listening for comments in the crowd and they were universally positive and everyone was standing for the curtain calls.

disneybroadwayfan22
#119ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 9:32am

^^Your niece is literally the greatest! Amazing actress and even better an amazing person! She's so sweet to everyone and we talk sometimes on Twitter. So jealous of you :)

brian1973
#120ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 5:48pm

wow that false proscenium is tacky.

they project the scene changes on screens? 

Im unsure of whether to go and see this. I like the cast, but plot wise it sounds so boring, and pretty dresses and projections can only hold the attention for so long. And Ramin 

does he take his top off? That may convince me to go.

FiddleMeThis
#121ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 7:15pm

Projections are indeed tacky. They are hyperrealistic and end up looking like the screen savers that came with your computer. They have improved since Hartford but end up looking "expensive" rather than adding much to the experience of the show. 

disneybroadwayfan22
#122ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 7:38pm

Question: How is The Neva Flows/A Simple Thing different from Hartford? What is Still/The Neva Flows (Reprises) like?

CarlAlan610
#123ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 10:15pm

I saw the show last night and, having seen it in Hartford, I think they have made some major improvements to a show that I thought was already in great shape. As others have said, they have really fleshed out Gleb and Ramin plays him incredibly well. I loved his new song "Still.".

Christy is a star. She is simply breathtaking in this role, and I think she will receive a Tony nom. She SLAYED Journey to the Past. 

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#124ANASTASIA Previews
Posted: 3/26/17 at 11:55pm

Any word on if they have started offering standing room?  

Anyone win the lottery?  Where were the seats? 

Videos