pixeltracker

The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions- Page 5

The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#100The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/6/17 at 10:54am

Agreed the movie is very cinematic... however unlike Amelie, the "cinematic" elements didn't make the movie. Mean Girls' writing is what makes it so good. I am nervous it's going to rehash some of the jokes from the movie, which is just awkward for everyone (You laugh because you should, but you already know the joke, not because it's a fresh joke)

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#101The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/6/17 at 11:15am

List updated with Mean Girls announcement.

BroadwayConcierge
#102The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/6/17 at 12:34pm

Just curious: what else are we expecting or rationally thinking could make an announcement to come in this season? DreamgirlsAngels in America? Maybe Hadestown and Roman Holiday? Anything else?

Cfried
#103The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/6/17 at 12:54pm

Is it possible The Honeymooners will come in this spring after its Paper Mill run? Perhaps Little Dancer as well?

BroadwayConcierge
#104The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/7/17 at 9:34am

List updated with Angels in America "announcement".

BroadwayConcierge
#105The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/12/17 at 1:27pm

List updated with Saint Joan announcement.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#106The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/12/17 at 2:12pm

At this point, are all the theatres left without a tenant this season? Playbill used to have a nifty grid of Broadway Real Estate but ever since the redesign, I don't think it exists anymore...

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#107The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/12/17 at 3:53pm

sorano916 said: "At this point, are all the theatres left without a tenantthis season? Playbill used to have a nifty grid of Broadway Real Estate but ever since the redesign, I don't think it exists anymore..."

There's a great site that has a diagram of the theatres and the shows currently playing or coming soon!

http://www.thebroadwaymap.com

BroadwayConcierge
#108The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/12/17 at 4:58pm

sorano916 said: "At this point, are all the theatres left without a tenantthis season? Playbill used to have a nifty grid of Broadway Real Estate but ever since the redesign, I don't think it exists anymore..."

Looking specifically to the spring 2018 season, there are several theatres that could viably host a tenant:

- Belasco (Farinelli closes March 25, but Gettin' the Band... starts previews on July 19)
- Booth (Meteor Shower closes January 21)
- Broadway (Saigon closes January 14, but I'm pretty sure the theatre is being renovated before King Kong comes in)
- Cort (M. Butterfly closes February 25)
- Kerr (Springsteen plays through February 3)

And though the following theatres are still playing "open-ended" shows, I personally expect the Nederlander and possibly the Atkinson, the Hirschfeld, the Longacre, the Lyceum, and/or the Sondheim to open up in the near future.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#109The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/12/17 at 5:10pm

What about the Lyceum? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayConcierge
#110The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/13/17 at 8:40am

List updated with John Lithgow's solo show.

broadwaysfguy
#111The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 1:14pm

hi broadway concierge-if you are were a betting person, what musicals to you think could still make it in over the winter or spring? seems like hadestown, dreamgirls revival are most likely from this string and others, with maybes for Aint too Proud (assuming strong reviews this week in its berkeley tryout) and Roman Holiday if they have the funding, and Honeymooners if strong reviews.

Any others on the high possibility list?

BWWMatt Profile Photo
BWWMatt
#112The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 1:46pm

I think the other shows that also have a possibility of coming in this season (some more possible than others) might be: The Cher Show, Summer: The Donna Summer Musical, Moulin Rouge, the Sutton Foster "Sweet Charity Revival, and Monsoon Wedding. 

I personally would be surprised if those last two ever happened, but I'm sure the other three will happen eventually (assuming they aren't awful), either this season or in the future. 

broadwaysfguy
#113The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 3:38pm

hi matt

thanks for your thoughts.  

Sweet Charity with Sutton foster has been talked about a lot and got positive reviews and sutton is well, just wonderful-id be psyched if it did a revival in the spring!!!

Monsoon wedding was really pretty awful at berkeley rep, Summer (Donna) only tries out in november at la jolla playhouse( i may force myself to go) so really tight to make a march 18 2018 previews cutoff.

where is cher:the musical in development? it hasnt had an out of town tryout yet, has it? 

broadwaysfguy
#114The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 3:38pm

hi matt

thanks for your thoughts.  

Sweet Charity with Sutton foster has been talked about a lot and got positive reviews and sutton is well, just wonderful-id be psyched if it did a revival in the spring!!!

Monsoon wedding was really pretty awful at berkeley rep, Summer (Donna) only tries out in november at la jolla playhouse( i may force myself to go) so really tight to make a march 18 2018 previews cutoff.

where is cher:the musical in development? it hasnt had an out of town tryout yet, has it? 

BWWMatt Profile Photo
BWWMatt
#115The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 3:50pm

broadwaysfguy said: Sweet Charity with Sutton foster has been talked about a lot and got positive reviews and sutton is well, just wonderful-id be psyched if it did a revival in the spring!!!

Yea, like I said, I don't see "Monsoon Wedding" coming into NYC, but that is what the stated goal is, so we will see. 

"The Donna Summer Musical" ends in mid-December, so there is plenty of time for it to come in. Similarly, "Mean Girls" is playing DC through December 3rd (barring an extension). Also, there really isn't an official "preview cutoff," the opening night cutoff has not officially been announced yet (I don't think), but it will be late April. 

"The Cher Show" does not have an out-of-town tryout scheduled, but it has a month-long lab in New York next month, and the expectation is that if it is good, there is a chance that it could come straight to Broadway either in the spring or the fall.  

Rainah
#116The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 3:50pm

Hadestown, while eyeing broadway, is not planning to transfer this year. They're taking their time, and they have the Edmonton tryout

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#117The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 4:07pm

Has anything been announced for The Booth after Meteor Shower? It closes Jan 20th, 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#118The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 4:19pm

broadwaysfguy said: "hi broadway concierge-if you are were a betting person, what musicals to you think couldstill make it in over the winter or spring? seems like hadestown, dreamgirls revival are most likely from this string and others, with maybes for Aint too Proud (assuming strong reviews this week in its berkeley tryout) and Roman Holiday if they have the funding, and Honeymooners if strong reviews.

Any others on the high possibility list?
"

Regarding "The Honeymooners", I heard very recently that they now have their sights set on next Broadway season. Things could of course always change due to investors or theater availability, but Im not expecting them this spring on Broadway.

"Dreamgirls" seems like the most likely to happen this season. Followed by "The Cher Show" (which will likely skip a tryout and head straight to bway), and "Aint Too Proud".

broadwaysfguy
#119The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 5:40pm

thanks for the updates and info everybody

im already booking my may 2018 nyc trip

so guessing what else may come in and holding a few spots open-hoping dreamgirls comes through and would love to see at least one more "original music" musical breakthrough and get on the spring calendar

how late has or can a new musical announced for the spring season? i think i remember something rotten didnt announce til jan or feb for its march preview?

BwayinVan
#120The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 8:12pm

Looks like this is the year for musical revivals. I usually avoid revivals on my yearly spring trip but that might not be the case this year. It looks like a lot of the plays I want to see are closing before April. After ready the new HP book I'm not interested so much in that one. What plays are people excited about for the spring?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#121The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/14/17 at 8:18pm

BwayinVan said: "After ready the new HP book I'm not interested so much in that one. "

I can see why you'd say that. I thought the script was pretty much garbage. But the production is beautifully done. John Tiffany works wonders as always. 

What plays are people excited about for the spring?"

I'm mainly interested in this year's play revivals. Iceman Cometh, Lobby Hero, Saint Joan, Three Tall Women (I'd say Angels too, but I was lucky enough to see it in London)

BroadwayConcierge
#122The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/21/17 at 9:27pm

Just to give an update on what theatres are possibly vacant for the remainder of this season (shoutout to this AMAZING website: http://www.broadwaynowandnext.com/):

Currently vacant for spring 2018
Booth
Nederlander
Walter Kerr

Questionably vacant for spring 2018
Al Hirschfeld
Brooks Atkinson
Cort (M. Butterfly closes February 25)
Longacre
Lyceum
Stephen Sondheim

broadwaysfguy
#123The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/21/17 at 9:36pm

great info bc

so much for the we are just waiting for an open theatre excuse

most of these have capacity for a musical

like most on this board i love new original musicals

that being said a wonderful revival(hello dolly, the king and i) is really a treat too

i look forward to this spring season!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#124The 2017-2018 Broadway Season - Confirmed Productions
Posted: 9/21/17 at 9:41pm

Isn't Sony producing Roman Holiday? Could they move Beautiful out(they can do a jersey boys/Avenue q move and transfer to off-Broadway) to bring in roman Holiday? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement