HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#75HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:28pm

I'm not expecting much from Brantley unless his occasional diva worship gives into the charms of Midler. Reviewing the last Channing revival, he was very smug and condescending about the show itself and damned the actual production with faint praise. I'd love to be surprised. Updated On: 4/20/17 at 09:28 PM

stlrod
#76HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:28pm

A first for me--grabbed semi-premium seats before price go up tomorrow.  

Back Row
#77HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:32pm

It seems that Teachout's most vitriolic reviews seem to routinely find their way online a few hours early. I don't  think it was inadvertent at all. He's just a nasty, mean spirited troll who enjoys being the source of discomfort  for creative forces who dwarf him in ability, because that is the only way he can achieve anything approaching relevance in the theater community. The thing that sets Teachout apart from some others who may deliver bad reviews from time to time is that he takes such absolute joy in showcasing his inherent nastiness. It's like a teacher hiring a marine drill sergeant with a bull horn to deliver a failing grade to one of his students. It's not enough that he doesn't like you. He has to shout out to the world that you no longer have any purpose on this earth because he doesn't like you. What a pathetic little man (figuratively speaking, of course).

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 09:32 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#78HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:35pm

HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#79HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:38pm

These articles have made me giggle, laugh out loud, shed a few tears and bring out emotions I didn't know I had.  If just reading the reviews have left me in such a state of excitement, I can't even imagine how I will react when I actually see Bette and Dolly in October.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#80HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:44pm

>I'm not expecting much from Brantley unless his occasional diva worship gives into the charms of Midler. Reviewing the last Channing revival, he was very smug and condescending about the show itself and damned the actual production with faint praise. I'd love to be surprised.<

Vincent Canby reviewed that production. Brantley didn't become the chief critic until 1996. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#81HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:45pm

HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/20/17 at 09:45 PM

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#82HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:46pm

We saw the show Saturday night and I still have a smile on my face. We're going again in 3 weeks and I can't wait.

It's definitely miles of smiles; very lush, not only an iconic show but an iconic role.

DHP was fine; Gavin Creel, again, one of the hardest working guys on Broadway. The quartet and ensemble numbers are terrific. My only qualm is that the Schubert stage is almost too small to contain this very large production.

I did think Bette had a little trouble vocally, but with her personality, ...

Enjoy!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#83HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:47pm

HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#84HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:48pm

Washington Post is a rave.  And my favorite quote is  "On a stage, Midler is all the rainbow you ever need" .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 4/20/17 at 09:48 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#85HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:49pm

HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews

Dollypop
#86HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:50pm

Once again, I'm shedding tears of joy as I read these reviews! HELLO, DOLLY! has never been "just a show". These reviews realize that. As I said before, it's a 2 1/2 hour burst of joy!!!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#87HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:52pm

any minute now for BrantleyHELLO, DOLLY! Reviews

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#88HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:54pm

I just went give Dollypop and others on here a big hug. I have never been so emotionally engaged in a Broadway production before, I didn't think tears of joy would be welling up again.... 

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 09:54 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#89HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:57pm

Besides NYT;  who else has still to weigh in?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#90HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:59pm

DAME said: "Besides NYT;  who else has still to weigh in?

I'm sure Isherwood will write a review for his "blog" or whatever that thing is. 

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 09:59 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#91HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:01pm

CRITIC'S PICK!

Brantley: "The pinnacle of fine dining in New York these days can’t be found in a Michelin-starred restaurant, though it will probably cost you just as much. No, you’ll have to get yourself and your wide-open wallet to the Shubert Theater, where the savory spectacle of Bette Midler eating turns out to be the culinary event of the year."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/theater/hello-dolly-review-bette-midler.html

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 10:01 PM

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#92HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:02pm

Smaxie, I'm very glad to stand corrected on that.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#93HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:02pm

OMG!

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#94HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:03pm

Love this quote from the Times:

"Ms. Midler works hard for her ovations, while making you feel that the pleasure is all hers."

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#95HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:06pm

I love this one from the times..

" she deftly shoves the clamorous memories of Carol Channing (who created the role on Broadway) and Barbra Streisand (in the 1969 film) at least temporarily into the wings."

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 10:06 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#96HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews

HELLO, DOLLY! ReviewsDAME said: "OMG!

"

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#97HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews

How happy the wonderful Jerry Herman must be tonight!

Zoot Profile Photo
Zoot
#98HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:07pm

Congrats to all involved in the show for the raves!! I'm even more excited to see it in September. And after tonight's reviews and following everyone's comments in the preview thread, I'm thinking hard about buying a second ticket for my September trip

Updated On: 4/20/17 at 10:07 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#99HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:07pm

HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews