Comedy Plays for High School

#1Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 4/25/17 at 11:56am

I am a new Drama teacher and looking to put on a comedy play next year. What are some good comedic plays for high school students to perform?

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#2Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:30pm

My high school did Philip King's "See How They Run" during my sophomore year. We all had a blast, there are a variety of roles for all types of students and it's a funny crowd pleaser. I played Clive and it's a very fond memory. 

Nycat63
#3Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:34pm

The trick can be to find a good comedy that can also accommodate a larger cast.  If you can have a small to moderate group, I'm a fan of Noises Off, The Importance of Being Earnest, Arsenic and Old Lace, Charlie's Aunt and The Foreigner.  My daughter's HS is doing the 39 Steps but because they wanted to have a larger cast (the play only has 4 actors) they cast 10 people - basically removing the "funny" (one actor playing multiple roles, quick changes, etc) so who knows what that will look like. Unfortunately, though, most of the better comedies or farces have smaller casts and you have to balance that with lots of kids wanting parts.  Good luck!

freewilma
#4Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:35pm

This article is a good starting point for tried and true high school choices. http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/07/30/427138970/the-most-popular-high-school-plays-and-musicals

Dollypop
#5Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 4/25/17 at 1:30pm

I'm a retired drama director and just recently a former student posted on Facebook the program from TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE which I directed in the early 80's. It had 35 roles in it!

Also good: MY SISTER EILEEN, AUNTIE MAME, PLAZA SUITE (with a different cast for each act), and THE MATCHMAKER.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 4/25/17 at 01:30 PM

Alex Kulak2
#6Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 4/25/17 at 1:39pm

My high school did a show called "Play On!" when I was a senior. It's sort of a Noises Off Ripoff, but it's pretty funny, allows for flexible casting, and is suitable for teenagers.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#7Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 4/25/17 at 1:43pm

You Can't Take It With You!

Kemp3
#8Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 2/4/20 at 6:49am

Adrienne Pender said: "I volunteered as a playwright at HaveScripts and we often helped teachers in middle school and high school. Tom and Huck–Breakin’ The Law by Gregory Fletcher was my favorite one - I write my essay review on it now. It's a comedy for a drama classroom."

I found it at HaveScripts, thanks. We volunteered in a high school project a couple of months ago. Our mentor chose a dynamic play by Lisa Parry: Imperfect Proposal. Kids liked it immensely, because it's also a love story with all that romantic stuff. I can share a pdf here:

https://www.pioneerdrama.com/Script_Preview/5760_IMPERFECTP_Script_Sample.pdf

Updated On: 2/4/20 at 06:49 AM

Kaitlyn Malone
#9Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 2/4/20 at 8:33am

Clue On Stage! It’s based off the Movie “Clue” and it’s hilarious! I am a senior in high school and we just put this on in the winter! Everyone in the cast loved it and I think your students would enjoy it!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#10Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 2/4/20 at 10:58pm

Wild Oats by John McClure, cast of 29
Shakespeare in Hollywood by Ken Ludwig, cast of 18 plus

Owen22
#11Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 2/5/20 at 11:51am

There is a delightful James Kirkwood ( A Chorus Line) farce called UTBU (Unhealthy To Be Unpleasant) with a host of great character roles for females (of the eight person cast, six are for women/girls). And for an older play, it is very relevant all of a sudden.

Alex Kulak2
#12Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 2/6/20 at 12:58pm

I second You Can't Take It With You. Old as it is, that show still holds up beautifully.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#13Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 2/6/20 at 1:17pm

My senior-year comedy/farce in 2007 was "Down to Earth" by Bettye Knapp. In the years since I've considered getting the rights to adapt it as a musical- take out a few of the creakier jokes and it would be a great mini-musical comedy.

Two Angels of Death are training a new recruit, who is reluctant to be a grim reaper and wants to be a Cupid instead. When sent "down to earth" to collect the soul of a miserable and unlovable old woman, the new recruit instead decides to experiment with his powers and try to fix the love lives of the woman and her family. Things backfire all over the place, and the Angels of Death can't return without taking a human soul with them. It's funny, zippy, definitely cute without being cutesy.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#14Comedy Plays for High School
Posted: 2/6/20 at 2:35pm

Picasso at the Lapin Agile

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement