Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#25Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:35pm

Laura Linney... OMG 

10086Sundays
#26Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:38pm

BroadwayBaby4 said: "Anyone else think Dear Evan Hansen is pulling a La La Land and winning awards just based on the name? Devastated for Malloy. I understand Great Comet is not everyone's cup of tea but you have to admit it's pretty ground-breaking work."

Yep. And now I get to hate DEH because of it. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#27Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:40pm

Dave Malloy. Dave Malloy. Dave Malloy. :|

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

froote
#29Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:42pm

^Performances fine. But what about book, score and orchestrations?

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#31Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:45pm

Getting serious DEH fatigue tonight. Well, I guess I already had it going in. Some of its wins tonight (orchestrations, book) are pretty baffling. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed the show. 

Also bummed that Jenn Colella didn't win. I really hope CFA takes best musical. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

binau Profile Photo
binau
#32Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:46pm

Bernadette was robbed in FOLLIES. 

Kidding. 

But a few shows going home empty handed tonight or with few awards that in any other season would have sweeped. Tough year. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Margo319
#33Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:46pm

Lucas Steele has no right to be a bitter loser.  He was like, last in line for that award.  Should have been Brandon or Andrew.  Now I'm the bitter loser! Boo!

froote
#34Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:47pm

Margo319 said: "Lucas Steele has no right to be a bitter loser.  He was like, last in line for that award.  Should have been Brandon or Andrew.  Now I'm the bitter loser! Boo!"

Yeah, no he wasn't. Mike Faist was. 

bexplex
#35Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:48pm

Wow people are bitter about dear evan Hansen. This place is a cesspool of negativity and bitterness. 

Won't age well? Ok well they broke records so ??

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/dear-evan-hansen-billboard_80023.html

Updated On: 6/11/17 at 09:48 PM

SFFrontRow
#36Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:48pm

Jenn Collela really wasnt all that great in CFA,

Rachel Bay Jones was incredible as the mom. And after her stint in Pippin, I am not surprised she won this time around.

As for TGC, the show was very fun, but the story garbled, and the music was not on a part with DEH. I listen to the cast recording all the time (Waitress was my DEH last year).

10086Sundays
#37Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:53pm

Well, at least DEH won't sweep all the big awards. But stil...

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#39Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:54pm

I... Rachel Chavkin. I cannot anymore.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Dancingthrulife2
#40Bitter Losers Tony Thread

Rachel Chavkin was robbed of her Tony. Still in shock.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#41Bitter Losers Tony Thread

Valentina3 said: "I... Rachel Chavkin. I cannot anymore."

Honestly, though.

Dancingthrulife2
#42Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 9:55pm

bexplex said: "Wow people are bitter about dear evan Hansen. This place is a cesspool of negativity and bitterness. 

Won't age well? Ok well they broke records so ??

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/dear-evan-hansen-billboard_80023.html

"

Maybe you should look up the meaning of "age."

upinlights Profile Photo
upinlights
#43Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:01pm

SJB!! I didn't think she would win against RBJ, but her Trina was fantastic. One of my best moments in the theater ever was "I'm Breaking Down."

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#44Bitter Losers Tony Thread

Ashley over Chavkin or Greif?????????

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#45Bitter Losers Tony Thread

bexplex said: "Wow people are bitter about dear evan Hansen. This place is a cesspool of negativity and bitterness. "

Well you are in the "Bitter Tony Losers Thread" so ...

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

froote
#46Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:02pm

It broke records because it released its cast album at an unpopular time of year for people to release albums, cast recordings usually come out in the Spring when popular recording artists are more likely to release. Hamilton sold more copies, so did Rent etc. 

Also this thread is literally labelled for bitter people so if you don't want to read it don't come in.

theater_tech
#47Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:03pm

I am so heartbroken right now. My god, Chavkin.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#48Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:04pm

I can't get over Chavkin. Book, Score, Orchestrations...fine, subjective, whatever. But to not award Chavkin's direction of that beast of a production... unbelievable.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#49Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:08pm

Wow people are bitter about dear evan Hansen.

Well, I think half its score is strong (the other half sounds like cheap photocopies of its other songs or numbers cut from If/Then).  But I had major issues with the story.  I wish it hadn't received awards for those plot holes.  And for being an "issue" show, I felt it missed to mark on some of its consequences,  I just felt "ick" when it was over.  Great performances (though I'm mystified about Jones winning for that particular role), great design, a handful of great songs.  That's the credit I'll give it.  Was really hoping Comet would take score and orchestrations.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#50Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:10pm

Rachel losing Best Direction was bull, same with GC losing Orchestrations 

BroadwayBaby4
#51Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:12pm

I think my real issue is that with so many great new shows this year I had hoped the awards would be a bit more spread out. Just getting a bit bitter for everyone at this point. 

cam5y
#52Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:14pm

Mister Matt said: "Wow people are bitter about dear evan Hansen.

Well, I think half its score is strong (the other half sounds like cheap photocopies of its other songs or numbers cut from If/Then).  But I had major issues with the story.  I wish it hadn't received awards for those plot holes.  And for being an "issue" show, I felt it missed to mark on some of its consequences,  I just felt "ick" when it was over.  Great performances (though I'm mystified about Jones winning for that particular role), great design, a handful of great songs.  That's the credit I'll give it.  Was really hoping Comet would take score and orchestrations. "

Well, I'll say it, DEH did not deserve book in my opinion. Score, fine. And I'm a big CFA fan but I'm shocked that Chavkin didn't take direction. Chris Ashley did a great job, but Chavkin's work was groundbreaking IMO.