pixeltracker

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances - Page 17

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#400Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 12:50pm

EthelMae said: "Guess I must be one of the five or so queens the poster here is referring to who posts all the time, so hear I go again!

I love Bette Midler in this role but let's face it no other Dolly, I bet, could get away with saying, "dumplings, lighter than air they are, well, I'll be the judge of that" and then tosses the dumpling into the orchestra pit! This isn't the line in the script and that isn't the stage direction for the dumpling! Also, the other day Bette went crazy with the salting of the beets and is now doing a long thing with David Hyde Pierce with "you hate the beets?, or you ate the beets?..." and him saying "yes, I ate the beets and now I hate the beets!", etc., with the two them trying to not laugh and suddenly it's the Carol Burnett show. Now, again, I love both of them and I laughed out loud but it's not Dolly and Horace having dinner at their table scene.

Donna Murphy does similar business but it's pulled back and it's still funny and, I think, truer to the musical play we're watching.

Now Midler fans come for that stuff and she delivers it and they lap it up as do I. Midler's eating scene in the court scene is hysterical and reminds me of Lucille Ball. Almost channeling Ball. And I love that too.

I guess I'm saying that I'm glad the show can play well with Murphy and that it goes to show that the musical is strong enough to play with most women who have played this part. And so it will with Bernadette Peters.
"

Ethel;  I wasn't referring to you in particular.  And I am one of a group of queens myself.Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY! But one could just tell when someone is writing something honestly or just trying to stir the pot.  I have told you before.. I love Donna in this.  But what you described is exactly why Bette rules in this.. and why this production was conceived.  She delivers on everything I wanted her Dolly to be.  I do love reading when you write about the show because it is coming from a honest and loving place.  And again I will say.. I have seen both ladies a few times and with both you get a fantastic show.  But this is Bette's show.  The only reason it is back is because of Bette.  And BTW.... I heard a little rumor of what exactly is going on at the Shubert the week the show goes dark between stars.  Lets just say that if true many more will have the opportunity to experience Bette's Dolly .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#401Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 12:53pm

"(though I have not seen Bette, but have also loved her on the small screen)"

And this kind of comment..  After going on about Donna.  I mean come on!!!!  What is the purpose of it?    Just a ton of blah, blah, blah.  

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#402Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 12:55pm

^^wait... Bette is going to be doing another week or she doing a special concert during that week?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#403Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 1:06pm

Call_me_jorge said: "^^wait... Bette is going to be doing another week or she doing a special concert during that week?"

I am leaving it at that.  But  Matthew Diamond who has done a great job in capturing many shows  and concerts for TV and works on a project I am involved with had been at the show a few times the week right before Bette's vacation.  Often behind the SRO with Jerry.     And that is all I know.. nothing else.  But think of this.. Why would Bernadette need anything more than a put in the day before the show or the same day. like Donna had?  Especially when she is getting a preview period?  

Updated On: 9/18/17 at 01:06 PM

ren598
#404Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 1:15pm

If you're implying Bette might extend her run for another couple of weeks, I would be very disappointed.  I think most people who paid a premium to be at her last performance would be very disappointed.  Let's hope that's not the case.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#405Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 1:17pm

ren598 said: "If you're implying Bette might extend her run for another couple of weeks, I would be very disappointed. I think most people who paid a premium to be at her last performance would be very disappointed. Let's hope that's not the case."

Silly.. That is NOT what I am implying at all.  Bette's final performance in front of a paying broadway audience will be on the day announced.   And really.. I know nothing other than what I said.  

Updated On: 9/18/17 at 01:17 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#406Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 1:19pm

What is being implied is a possibly filming Bette's performance - which would be incredible.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ren598
#407Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 1:36pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "What is being implied is a possibly filming Bette's performance - which would be incredible."

Thanks for the clarification.  I can get off from the ledge now.  And it makes perfect sense they would want to capture Bette's performance, but don't expect them to release it any time soon.  At least not until the show concludes it's Broadway run.

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#408Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 2:23pm

DAME said: "jayinchelsea said: "Hate to be one of the only naysayers, and I do think that Donna is an amazing musical theatre actress, but DOLLY demands total star power as well as talent, and sadly Donna doesn't have that, imo. Yes, she worked very hard from the first moment, but the hard work showed. There were some really great moments, but not enough to carry the show. Best example was the title number, which began to feel kind of tired by the third time around. And the laughs just didn't come the way they did with Midler.

I have been watching DOLLY since it opened in 1964, and Channing, Grable, Merman and especially Bailey were all amazing, as was Midler. Hoping Bernadette is that good, not quite sure but hopeful. And this production is terrific in every aspect: design, staging, the incomparable supporting cast right down the line. One of the best musical librettos in the canon, and Jerry Herman's score remains one the greats. But my expectations for Donna, especially after the reviews and the comments here, simply weren't met.
"

I like Donna but I actually agree with most of what you say . And I would say most people do as well. Except for here. Remember this is BWW and a lot ( not all) of the posters here can't afford a Bette ticket and need to justify themselves . And Donna is terrific . But she doesn't touch Bette. She just doesn't . There are a lot of people outside of the 5 queens that post over and over again here .
"

BRAVA DAME!  People should know better than trusting opinions of strangers on a message board.  I also adored Donna in the show.  But Bette is the reason to see the show.  And also the Bootleg Betty site has alluded to the filming of Bette's performance for a while now.   It sounds like this was planned from the very beginning.  I wonder if they will do it like Legally Blonde in which they film in front of a invited audience?   I am thrilled.  Lets hope it happens. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#409Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 3:58pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "What is being implied is a possibly filming Bette's performance - which would be incredible."

I hope Netflix is with this. They did a great job with NEWSIES.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#410Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 4:10pm

^actually Netflix is not responsible for the filming of Newsies. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 9/18/17 at 04:10 PM

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#411Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 4:16pm

I'm not sure if I'm a "queen" of this thread or not, but Donna and Bette both give amazing performances. I'm partial to Donna, but whatever. The prospect of filming it with Bette sounds extremely exciting! The show is just begging to be captured in a professional way, not just on bootlegs and choppy curtain call videos. 

Cora Hoover Hooper Profile Photo
Cora Hoover Hooper
#412Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 5:06pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Let us hope!!!!! (for all of us who cant get to NY to see it).

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#413Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 5:48pm

Itonlytakesajourney said: "I'm not sure if I'm a "queen" of this thread or not, but Donna and Bette both give amazing performances. I'm partial to Donna, but whatever. Theprospect of filmingit with Bette sounds extremely exciting! The show is just begging to be captured in a professional way, not just on bootlegs and choppy curtain call videos."

I would say your one of the Queen Bee's!  But then what does that make me?  Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#414Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 6:56pm

DAME said: "Itonlytakesajourney said: "I'm not sure if I'm a "queen" of this thread or not, but Donna and Bette both give amazing performances. I'm partial to Donna, but whatever. Theprospect of filmingit with Bette sounds extremely exciting! The show is just begging to be captured in a professional way, not just on bootlegs and choppy curtain call videos."

I would say your one of the Queen Bee's! But then what does that make me? Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
"

Ooh fun! Why have Mean Girls on Broadway when there's us?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#415Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 8:21pm

DAME said: "I like Donna but I actually agree with most of what you say . And I would say most people do as well. Except for here. Remember this is BWW and a lot ( not all) of the posters here can't afford a Bette ticket and need to justify themselves . And Donna is terrific . But she doesn't touch Bette. She just doesn't . There are a lot of people outside of the 5 queens that post over and over again here ."

Oh, come on, DAME. Now those of us who find Donna Murphy to be an incomparable star are simply praising her on this thread (which, by the way, was mostly created as a place of love for the "5 queens that post over and over again here"Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY! because we need to "justify" ourselves for supposedly not being able to afford tickets to see Midler? Why does it bother you so much that us "5 queens" found a space to connect and unabashedly revel in our love for Murphy and Murphy's turn as Dolly? It's funny (or not funny at all, really) that you position this thread as sort of being an overwhelming voice when, in fact, by nature it represents a small voice in light of the countless threads and comments and reviews focused on Bette Midler's performance. Our passion for Donna Murphy is so harmless that I'm baffled by your need to come here, dismiss our passion through an asinine and fallacious class-based claim peppered with some minor queen-bashing (and saying that you're a queen yourself only makes the casual homophobia in your claim more confounding), and remind everyone that Donna Murphy is not a star like Bette Midler is (no sh¡t).

Personally I have the option of buying tickets to Bette Midler's show, something I understand as a privilege and not as something that makes my comments more valid somehow. I'm instead going to see Donna Murphy for a third time on her final performance. Now I don't live in the city, so I have to choose what I see carefully, and I will always choose Murphy over Midler. She's simply my favorite stage actress--beyond that, what she does with Dolly is stunning, with no qualifiers or excuses or caveats. I'm sure Midler is spectacular and brilliant and all of that. See? I can have no doubt in my mind that Murphy is the best Dolly I (personally) could have asked for without having to dismiss your equal levels of passion and adoration for Midler. In fact, I am grateful that Midler's box office power was able to make this production happen and that her fame gave her the ability to not only negotiate an alternate but to ensure that the alternate was someone of Murphy's caliber.

And I should mention, I have no issues with people who were unimpressed with Murphy or found her lacking. My specific issue is with DAME's petty dismissal of our Donna love or our Donna as Dolly love through a silly class-based argument that somehow manages to reframe the overwhelming love on this thread as a threat to Midler's legacy.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#416Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 8:53pm

"And I should mention, I have no issues with people who were unimpressed with Murphy or found her lacking. My specific issue is with DAME's petty dismissal of our Donna love or our Donna as Dolly love through a silly class-based argument that somehow manages to reframethe overwhelming love on this thread as a threat to Midler's legacy.""

Ha! If you read what I said you would see that I loved Donna as well.  I must have hit a nerve with you. The threat to Midler's legacy line did make me laugh. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#417Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 9:04pm

If they're really going to film Bette in Hello Dolly! I hope they do so in front of a live audience. So much of the show is about breaking the fourth wall. Filming it with no live audience is like hot dogs without ketchup.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#418Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/18/17 at 9:08pm

poisonivy2 said: "If they're really going to film Bette in Hello Dolly! I hope they do so in front of a live audience. So much of the show is about breaking the fourth wall. Filming it with no live audience is like hot dogs without ketchup."

My guess is that is the plan.  With pick up shots during the week the show is dark between stars.   But is is a guess.   

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#419Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/19/17 at 10:16pm

Donna is better. There I've said it. Saw Donna Murphy tonight for the I don't know how many times. Cried my eyes out. I love Bette Midler but the show is a total complete with Murphy. It's a star vehicle with Midler but it's Hello, Dolly! with Murphy.

Zamedy154
#420Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/20/17 at 12:00am

Delete your account.

And it's Dolly, not Angels in America.

Cried your eyes out? Really? Come on.

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#421Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/20/17 at 1:33am

EthelMae said: "Donna is better. There I've said it. Saw Donna Murphy tonight for the I don't know how many times. Cried my eyes out. I love Bette Midler but the show is a total complete with Murphy. It's a star vehicle with Midler but it's Hello, Dolly! with Murphy."

What are you, 12?  Is this elementary school?  Mine is better than yours?  Is that what we are doing?   

Updated On: 9/20/17 at 01:33 AM

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#422Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/20/17 at 2:13am

God, you people are mean spirited.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#423Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 9/20/17 at 2:13am

God, you people are mean spirited.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo