Stage Door Question

SarahNYC2
#1Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/20/17 at 8:30pm

I have been going to the theater since I was 4-so for almost 38 years. I have never gone to the stage door. Not really my thing. However I am taking my daughter and her friend to Anastasia and my daughter seems interested in going to the stage door since another friend of hers went and told her about going.

Any tips, what do I need to know. Should I bring sharpies with me? I'm actually not concerned with who comes out-i think my daughter just wants the experience.

froote
#2Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/20/17 at 8:47pm

When I stage doored Anastasia, the cast brought their own sharpies out. John Bolton, Derek and Christy came out. Ramin had his family in town though so I think that was an exception. Super chilled out, just try to exit swiftly, not before bows or anything but don't hang around afterwards. Then make your way to the end of the line by the barriers. The cast is really sweet (especially Christy who asks people for hugs) and will take the time with everyone. Just be courteous and polite, let ensemble members sign the playbills too, say thankyou etc.

Batgirl478
#3Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/20/17 at 8:49pm

Every time I've done stage door, the actors had their own Sharpies but you might have some with you just in case. Also, there is usually security there that will tell you when the last actor has come out. However, you might want to stick around a few minutes longer because when I did stage door for Hamilton in April, security told us that was it and a few minutes later Brandon Victor Dixon came out. He dd turn out to be the last. So yeah, you might just wait a few more. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/20/17 at 8:51pm

Funny your scenario....my son and I never stagedoor, but my daughter likes to do so.

The only thing I'd say, is that while most of the people that sd are friendly, there always seem to be one or two that are rude or pushy....try not to let them get your daughter down.  

Oh, and be patient.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SarahNYC2
#5Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/20/17 at 9:28pm

Thank you-this is all very helpful. 

Snee17
#6Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/20/17 at 9:45pm

Most importantly... Have fun! A lot of actors will even take pictures with you if you ask. 

billis2
#7Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:42pm

For a show like Anastasia, the ensemble members might have their own Sharpies or be given them by security, but for many plays and even many musicals, ensemble members are not consistently asked to sign and often do not have a Sharpie on them.  So I would bring Sharpies if it's not too much trouble to do so.

I also agree with dramamama that 99% of stage door fans are great, but there are definitely some rude fans sometimes.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#8Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:51pm

I can basically only echo what everyone else has already said. For all the Broadway shows I've SD'd (at least twenty or so) I've never experienced someone, main cast or ensemble, not having a sharpie on them, so if you don't have them it's not the end of the world. Especially because someone in the crowd always has one (or at least a pen) if need be. 

Also, if you don't get to the front of the barricade/are a few people back, be sure to ask someone closer to it if they could pass your daughter's Playbill to the performer when they come by. People are usually very good about this and I've never had anyone complain/complained myself when I've had to. 

But all and all, it is usually a lot of fun! I've actually made friends with other people waiting, some of which I still contact today. I stagedoored the Long Day's Journey Into Night revival on closing night and waited a good two hours for Michael Shannon and John Gallagher, Jr. to come out. In the process I made friends with four other girls and we still have a text groupchat! 

VintageSnarker
#9Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/20/17 at 11:07pm

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIgwQjyQsgYjFaEGquzy7_fawUmxWMWBc

Most people (actors or fans) have a black sharpie. I like to bring one of the metallic ones because it usually reads better, especially on black and white (I think Anastasia switched to B&W). Otherwise, don't rush out but try to get a good spot near the front or go further down the line. I don't think you accomplish much by standing near the front but two or three rows back. And I hope your daughter has a good time. :)

irishgator1
#10Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/21/17 at 7:25am

I was at Anastasia's stage door over Memorial Day weekend and the actors who came out had their own Sharpies. The girl who plays young Anastasia signed too, which was cute.  Derek Klena and John Bolton came out when I was there; they both took pics, and Derek was especially nice to the younger girls who were there. Christy Altomare didn't come out while I waited (and we waited awhile), and security was kind of complaining about her within earshot of those waiting. Like someone else said, Ramin had his family with him, so he didn't stop, but he did wave.

Have fun!

froote
#11Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/21/17 at 7:46am

I think you were probably there the same night as me. Christy did come out eventually (and as I say was incredibly sweet). I think she had backstage visitors including Laura Osnes and it was also the last show of the week so that's what likely kept her.

irishgator1
#12Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/21/17 at 8:14am

froote said: "I think you were probably there the same night as me. Christy did come out eventually (and as I say was incredibly sweet). I think she had backstage visitors including Laura Osnes and it was also the last show of the week so that's what likely kept her."

Yes, we were there the same night! I saw Laura Osnes inside the theater with her husband. 

Darn, I'm sorry I missed Christy. I've heard she is very nice and gracious. My husband was getting antsy so after we heard the security guys grumbling, we interpreted it as she wasn't coming out so we left.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#13Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/21/17 at 10:41am

I'd just like to offer some general stage door etiquette suggestions, if I may.

Most performers are very gracious and patient, but please be polite and unassuming in your interactions with them. When they sign your Playbill, thank them. Also, ask before you try to take a selfie; almost all (with the exception of some Hollywood types) will smile and say "Of course!", but put yourself in their place and afford them the same courtesy you'd like the public to show you.

Many people are fans of certain performers whom they consider heartthrobs, and there's nothing wrong with that, but these people are also artists and that's what most of them want to be appreciated for. If you really want a picture with someone like Mr. Karimloo, he will likely be happier to hear you comment on his performance or his voice rather than his eyes or his biceps. wink

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#14Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/21/17 at 11:07am

Lot666 said: "I'd just like to offer some general stage door etiquette suggestions, if I may.

Most performers are very gracious and patient, but please be polite and unassuming in your interactions with them. When they sign your Playbill, thank them. Also, ask before you try to take a selfie; almost all (with the exception of some Hollywood types) will smile and say "Of course!", but put yourself in their place and afford them the same courtesy you'd like the public to show you.

Many people are fans of certain performers whom they consider heartthrobs, and there's nothing wrong with that, but these people are also artists and that's what most of them want to be appreciated for. If you really want a picture with someone like Mr. Karimloo, he will likely be happier to hear you comment on his performance or his voice rather than his eyes or his biceps. wink

Echoing all that's been said, but especially this. The Anastasia stage door is generally very friendly, even if a bit crowded, but a little politeness goes a long way. I ended up in front of/next to a group of very... enthusiastic teenage girls, whose reaction to Derek appearing was to loudly shriek (right in my ear) and squeal to each other about him as if he wasn't right there. He was polite as could be, but spent considerably more time chatting with my mother and I and with the group on our other side. Talk to them like people, ask a question about the show or a past show of theirs or something, and you can't go wrong! And same goes for the ensemble too - they don't always get asked to sign, but they're often some of the nicest and chattiest people! Hope you all have a wonderful experience!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#15Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/21/17 at 11:24am

bwayrose7 said: "And same goes for the ensemble too - they don't always get asked to sign, but they're often some of the nicest and chattiest people!"

Thank you for making this point, because I intended to but forgot. The ensemble, which includes swings and understudies, are hardworking artists who are often overlooked by the throngs hoping to get a picture with the star. Ask them to sign your Playbill and take a selfie, and talk to them about the show. If nothing else, today's swing might be the star of your next favorite show and you'll be able to say you "knew them when...".

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 6/22/17 at 11:24 AM

SarahNYC2
#16Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/21/17 at 12:23pm

Lot666 said: "bwayrose7 said: "And same goes for the ensemble too - they don't always get asked to sign, but they're often some of the nicest and chattiest people!"

Thank you for making this point, because I intended to but forgot. The ensemble, which includes swings and understudies, are hardworking artists who are often overlooked by the thongs hoping to get a picture with the star. Ask them to sign your Playbill and take a selfie, and talk to them about the show. If nothing else, today's swing might be the star of your next favorite show and you'll be able to say you "knew them when...".

Great tip!!!! Honestly I don't think my daughter or her friend even really care about a specific actor/actress-I think they will both just think this is exciting. 

I really appreciate how helpful everyone has been with advice. 

"

h6p8gv
#17Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/21/17 at 12:42pm

Here is a list of where all the stage doors are on broadway

http://www.stageelf.com/stage-doors-on-broadway.html

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#18Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/21/17 at 1:24pm

And the reason actors have their own Sharpies is for hygienic purposes.  This prevents them from picking up any germs/viruses/bacteria that random Sharpies might have on them.  It's just industry standard and advice shared by actor to actor.  

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#19Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/22/17 at 7:01am

I don't do stage door often.  Maybe one show a year if it is something special i.e. Best Musical.  Every time I did stage door it was a fun experience.  If you can say something funny, it usually makes it more fun.  All of the actors in my experience are great and generally will try to answer questions.  I believe every actor that has signed my playbill had their own Sharpee.  

Also, I tend to catch shows earlier in the run so I think actors tend to be more friendlier when the show first opens as opposed to when the stage door becomes an everyday routine.  

Best experience was Hamilton when it was still in previews. The crowd was much smaller before word got out. Everyone in the show was awesome including LMM. LMM spent the most time talking and taking pictures with everyone in the crowd. I was impressed.  

Not to be confused with Dave19.

froote
#20Stage Door Question
Posted: 6/22/17 at 7:46am

Ugh yes I will always treasure my experience at the Hamilton stage door about a month into the Broadway run. A big shame what it turned into.

Videos