pixeltracker

Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?- Page 2

Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?

froote
#25Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:06pm

Of course Dame, you know better. Lin clearly paid 30k out of his own money and sent off an application. Sure.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#26Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:11pm

Too early?   Yes.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#27Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:24pm

Who ever said LMM in bigger than Sondheim has got to be between the ages of 12-14.  I mean really though?!

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#28Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:39pm

What planet are you people living on?   The majority of the general public of all ages would have no clue of the name Stephen Sondheim or even know what he looks like, where as most people who know nothing about theatre can tell you what Hamilton is and who Lin Manuel Miranda is.  In 30 years, Miranda is going to be an even bigger celebrity and most likely have the EGOT, while Sondheim will be gone .  Next year Miranda's starring as the male lead in Disney's "Mary Poppins Returns" and Sondheim has retired. Miranda has over 330,000 instagram hashtags while Sondheim doesn't even have 10,000.  I know as theatre fans, we all wish their fanbases were reversed but they're not and there's no denying it. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#29Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:43pm

It should not be that easy.  He has two good musicals.  Let's see how many more he makes before we start throwing stuff like this at him.  He may end up a two hit wonder and never write another good musical again, meanwhile Sondheim has about a billion great shows and his weakest work would be many composer's best work.  Let's see what else LMM does.

Sondheim will go down in history beside the likes of Cole Porter, the Gershwins, and Rogers and Hammerstein.  I'm not so sure that I can say the same for LMM.

Phillytheatreguy10
#30Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:43pm

Simply put, there would be no LMM without Stephen Sondheim.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#31Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:47pm

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "Simply put, there would be no LMM without Stephen Sondheim.

"

That has nothing to do with this.  It's the walk of fame, not the walk of contributions to the arts.  

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#32Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:51pm

Exactly, Just_John.  It's a walk of fame - it's not being knighted by Queen Elizabeth.  

10086Sundays
#33Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:51pm

All this over a square of sidewalk that will be covered in gum, dirt, spilled beverages, and bodily fluids 24 hours after it's laid?  It's a tourist attraction.  I mean, Trump has one...

Phillytheatreguy10
#34Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 1:52pm

Oh I'm sorry, maybe should've used a hashtag- this is literally one of the most ignorant arguments I've ever read or been a pert of on here. You opened the door for the Sondheim debate with you insipid comparison of the two artists.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#35Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 2:08pm

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "Oh I'm sorry, maybe should've used a hashtag- this is literally one of the most ignorant arguments I've ever read or been a pert of on here. You opened the door for the Sondheim debate with you insipid comparison of the two artists.

"

The only ignorance is coming from you.  You're throwing out completely random facts that have nothing to do with this Hollywood attraction.  I was responding to the original posters question asking if it was to early for Miranda to receive one considering Sondheim doesn't have one.  The answer is no and there's no denying it.   

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#36Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 2:27pm

Kad said: "I was surprised he was getting one, especially since Weird Al was only just now receiving one after decades."

Yeah, but does holding Weird Al Yankovic up as the standard really make your point? When I put the cultural impact of WAY and LMM on the scales they do seem to tip precipitously in Miranda's favor.

jimmycurry01
#37Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 2:38pm

DAME said: "I appreciate his talent.  But I can't stand him and I don't think he is deserving.

"

Deserving of what? There is nothing to deserve here. It is not an honor that is awarded, it is something that is paid for by the performer or by a company representing him. He hasn't won anything, it isn't a prize being given to him. It isn't too early; it isn't too late. It isn't something he deserves or doesn't deserve. He works in the industry and someone paid for his name to be represented on the sidewalk; that's it. I don't understand what the fuss is about.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#38Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 2:46pm

10086Sundays said: "All this over a square of sidewalk that will be covered in gum, dirt, spilled beverages, and bodily fluids 24 hours after it's laid?  It's a tourist attraction.  I mean, Trump has one...

"

The fact that Trump has one is the first thing that came to mind too. Congrats, Lin! lol

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#39Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 2:54pm

Ah, there they are all the haters who instead of applauding the game changing contributions of an artist to the world of theater and the arts as a whole instead stand in the corner of life seething and stewing in their own juices of petty hate, jealousy and vitriol. It truly sucks to be you.

CONGRATULATIONS LIN MANUEL MIRANDA!!! ¡P'ARRIBA Y P'ALANTE

LET YOUR HATERS BE YOUR MOTIVATOR!

Updated On: 6/23/17 at 02:54 PM

Margo319
#40Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 3:04pm

Way too early and not yet earned.  I thought it was a joke.  And yes, they pay 30 thousand, of their OWN money for it.  The majority of Hollywood and America doesn't know who he is, no matter how many milllions he makes on Hamilton this month.   

Updated On: 6/23/17 at 03:04 PM

trpguyy
#41Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 3:07pm

It's the "Walk of Fame," not "Walk of Career Accomplishments" (though certainly that's a factor). He's currently the most famous "theatre person" whether you like it or not. 

Updated On: 6/23/17 at 03:07 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#42Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 3:08pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Ah, there they are all the haters who instead of applauding the game changing contributions of an artist to the world of theater and the arts as a whole instead stand in the corner of life seething and stewing in their own juices of petty hate, jealousy and vitriol. It truly sucks to be you.

CONGRATULATIONS LIN MANUEL MIRANDA!!! ¡P'ARRIBA Y P'ALANTE

LET YOUR HATERS BE YOUR MOTIVATOR!

"

It is not about hating him. It is just a little too much prefabricated and self congratulatory for this stage  on his road.  I loved Hamilton and LOVED In The Heights.  To me he just comes off as insincere and too full of himself.  But thats just my opinion.  Feel free to wipe his ass all you want.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#43Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 3:08pm

What planet are you people living on?

Just_John, what planet are you living on? Here on earth, nobody gives a sh!t about EGOTs or how many instagram tags Broadway composers have, and certainly don't read any significance into it .

In 30 years, Miranda is going to be an even bigger celebrity and most likely have the EGOT, while Sondheim will be gone 

It's great that you have the power of seeing into the future on your extra-terrestrial home, but maybe you should learn about perspective - Sondheim's work will live on, and likely only become more revered. I wish every success to Lin Manuel Miranda, but in this fickle world, he will be enormously lucky to achieve half the long list of cultural milestones that Sondheim has. To suggest he and his work are immune from the passage of time is just ridiculous.

...and Sondheim has retired. 

No, he hasn't. He's still working on his new musical, hopefully to be produced in the not-too-distant future.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

froote
#44Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 3:17pm

Margo319 said: "And yes, they pay 30 thousand, of their OWN money for it."

Again, no they do not. Not sure how many times this has to be said but it is paid for by a studio that sponsors them.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#45Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 3:39pm

fame

f?m/

noun

1. the condition of being known or talked about by many people, especially on account of notable achievements.

When did I say or even imply that Sondheim's work won't live on?   What we are talking about is their level of fame.  Miranda is a huge celebrity and his level of fame has been consistently and rapidly growing like no other theatre person in history. While Sondheim's work is known to many, even in New York, it's extremely difficult to find someone outside of the theatre scene who would have ever heard his name.  

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#46Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 3:55pm

What we are talking about is their level of fame.

Their level of fame thirty years from now, you mean.

While Sondheim's work is known to many, even in New York, it's extremely difficult to find someone outside of the theatre scene who would have ever heard his name. 

So what? You seem to think that there is some sort of ranking system and that Lin "deserves" it more that Sondheim. The reality is that despite the name, fame is not a crucial factor in these decisions. How many of the previously mentioned Starbucks customers will have heard of Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Goldsmith, Ennio Morricone,  Alfred Newman...or on the Broadway side of things, Jerry Herman, Stephen Schwartz, Meredith Wilson...all of these people have stars on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame. Sondheim can more than match any of those composers. He even has an Oscar from Hollywood -

so in conclusion, it is utterly asinine to put Lin Manuel and Stephen Sondheim in competition for something so ultimately trivial, especially when your reasoning does not hold up.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#47Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 4:22pm

I never said that I think Miranda deserves it more than Sondheim? I was only answering the original question.  All I've said is Miranda is a huge celebrity and Sondheim is not which is a fact and for anyone to try and argue that fact is incredibly ignorant. Just to be clear, I absolutely think Sondheim should receive a star ASAP.  I only pulled his name out of the original posters question because he was the only relevant composer mentioned. The answer is no, it's not to early for this. 

Sunny11
#48Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 4:34pm

I think that the success of the West Side Story movie alone makes Sondheim more Hollywood famous than LMM. That isn't taking into account Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods. 

Updated On: 6/23/17 at 04:34 PM

kaykordeath
#49Lin Manuel Miranda to Receive Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame...To Early?
Posted: 6/23/17 at 5:01pm

CallMeAl2 said: " When I put the cultural impact of WAY and LMM on the scales they do seem to tip precipitously in Miranda's favor.

"

With all due love and respect to LMM, a 40 year career, 4 Grammys, and 6 platinum albums tip the scales back the other way.