pixeltracker

"Easter Eggs" in theatre district?- Page 2

"Easter Eggs" in theatre district?

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#25Marquee
Posted: 7/23/17 at 10:32am

phantomcrazy14 said: "I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a sign for Daddy Long Legs on the side of the Davenport Theatre facing the parking lot (where on a side note, there seems to always be someone waving that orange flag without fail at all hours of the day)

"

I saw that last month and was thinking "Didn't that close already?" 

And I also think the Stephen Sondheim theatre still has the Henry Miller's Theatre name on it as well.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

HSky
#26Marquee
Posted: 7/23/17 at 1:58pm

The Les Mis plaque was installed around the Broadway 10th Anniversary on March 10, 1997.

Last time I looked, the Daddy Long Legs poster was finally gone.

KathyNYC2
#27Marquee
Posted: 7/23/17 at 7:07pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "KathyNYC2 said: "aces25 said: "What are some neat easter eggs you can find the theatre districts?
(i.e. "The Little Mermaid" marquee that is still up between the Lunt and the American Eagle on 46th Street).

"

My friend and I just went to look for it. It's not there. We looked all over the alley. Maybe it came down when Charlie moved in.
"
Yes it is. I literally showed a friend it 5 mins ago because it was fresh in my head from this post. It's a little hard to see. You have to be facing the side of the Lunt-Fontanne (on the sidewalk with the back of the American Eagle store on your right) and look way up to the top of the building. It's not a huge marquee but it's definitely there

___
So I went back today but this time, I stood across the street by the Marquis and looked for it..and then it's right there. LOLOL A bigger than I expected. It was a lot harder to see when right under it - when you don't know where to look.  Now it's like, how did I miss that one?  Thanks for the heads up.

"

Updated On: 7/24/17 at 07:07 PM

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#28Marquee
Posted: 7/23/17 at 11:04pm

Valentina3 said: "^you've jinxed it now. That poster will soon be replaced by a mural of Violet Chachki.

"

Yaaaassssssssss!!!!!!!!!! Werque!!!!

MadonnaMusical
#29Marquee
Posted: 7/23/17 at 11:11pm

Ok this is a good one. Underneath every poster in Shubert Alley are original posters of shows from the 80's and early 90's. 

If you are there at 8am on a Monday morning after the September or January closing blood bath... you will see them change the posters in Shubert Alley. It brings a lot of joy to my heart to see those glorious posters underneath; including one of Vanessa Williams in Kiss of the Spider Woman, Miss Saigon, Les Mis, Cats, A Chorus Line etc. 

Updated On: 7/24/17 at 11:11 PM

MadonnaMusical
#30Marquee
Posted: 7/24/17 at 6:55am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Fidler On the Roof revival poster that has been painted over in black outside the Minskoff theatre. It's still there, and you can still see it in the alley of the Minskoff close to what is now the Playstation theatre. 

MadonnaMusical
#31Marquee
Posted: 7/24/17 at 6:56am

Also... there is still signage up for SILENCE: THE MUSICAL outside the Times Square Arts Center. It's been years and all of that signage is still up. I really loved that musical. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#32Marquee
Posted: 7/24/17 at 8:22am

Mr. Wormwood said: "It's a little hard to see. You have to be facing the side of the Lunt-Fontanne (on the sidewalk with the back of the American Eagle store on your right) and look way up to the top of the building. It's not a huge marquee but it's definitely there"

Thanks!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

saxpower
#33Easter Egg
Posted: 10/8/17 at 11:14pm

Reviving this thread to mention a plaque on 44th street to mark the location of the Stage Door Canteen from WWII, which was in the basement of the since demolished 44th Street Theater. 

I took a picture but can't figure out how to post it- if anyone can tell me how to, I'll post it. 

bfreak
#34Easter Egg
Posted: 10/8/17 at 11:19pm

Let's not forget the "In the Heights" wording that's etched into the street outside of the Richard Rodgers! Always love passing by it.

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#35Easter Eggs in the Theatre District
Posted: 2/23/20 at 11:05am

I wish to bump this thread to see if there are any other "easter eggs" in the Theatre District. 

MannPhan24601
#36Easter Eggs in the Theatre District
Posted: 2/23/20 at 11:47am

When I was last in the city in Sept, there was still a huge Band's Visit poster in that lot next to the Imperial along with a BMC poster (this was a month after that one closed)

Lin-Manuel Miranda
#37Easter Eggs in the Theatre District
Posted: 2/23/20 at 1:03pm

One of our Heights cast wrote “In The Heights 2008” in the wet cement outside the Richard Rodgers stage door. It’s still there in the sidewalk.

Enjolras5 Profile Photo
Enjolras5
#38Easter Eggs in the Theatre District
Posted: 2/23/20 at 2:15pm

Lin Manuel-Miranda said: "One of our Heights cast wrote “In The Heights 2008” in the wet cement outside the Richard Rodgers stage door. It’s still there in the sidewalk."

Just "Google Mapped" it and sure enough!  You can see it from the street view.  Will look for it next time I'm in the city.  Very cool.

Also dying to know if this is actually Lin Easter Eggs in the Theatre District

~E

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#39Easter Eggs in the Theatre District
Posted: 2/24/20 at 9:34am

Let's not forget the ahmayzing Theatre Hall of Fame tucked away at the Gershwin, which you can only visit if you're seeing Wicked.

I was an exception- I went into the theatre more recently for Marin Mazzie's memorial and snapped a photo.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

wariskay
#40Easter Eggs in the Theatre District
Posted: 2/27/20 at 7:01am

KathyNYC2 said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "KathyNYC2 said: "aces25 said: "What are some neat easter eggs you can find the theatre districts?
(i.e. "The Little Mermaid" marquee that is still up between the Lunt and the American Eagle on 46th Street).

"

My friend and I just went to look for it. It's not there. We looked all over the alley. Maybe it came down when Charlie moved in.
"
Yes it is. I literally showed a friend it 5 mins ago because it was fresh in my head from this post. It's a little hard to see. You have to be facing the side of the Lunt-Fontanne for pinoy tambayan (on the sidewalk with the back of the American Eagle store on your right) and look way up to the top of the building. It's not a huge marquee but it's definitely there

___
So I went back today but this time, I stood across the street by the Marquis and looked for it..and then it's right there. LOLOL A bigger than I expected. It was a lot harder to see when right under it - when you don't know where to look. Now it's like, how did I miss that one? Thanks for the heads up.

"

"

If you are there at 8am on a Monday morning after the September or January closing blood bath... you will see them change the posters in Shubert Alley

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#41Easter Eggs in the Theatre District
Posted: 3/13/20 at 11:54am

More recent pictures of The Little Mermaid poster on the side of the Lunt-Fontanne Theater where Tina is playing:

Easter Eggs in the Theatre District

EvanstonDad
#42Easter Eggs in the Theatre District
Posted: 3/13/20 at 1:42pm

Why is that Little Mermaid marquee even there? Who other than the people in the building immediately opposite could even see it? Bizarre placing. Did that building next door not exist at the time the show was open?

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#43Easter Eggs in the Theatre District
Posted: 3/13/20 at 2:22pm

That's correct. Little Mermaid ran from 2007-2009 and the American Eagle building was built in 2009. Here's a picture mid-construction where you can also see the poster.