pixeltracker

Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?- Page 2

Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#25Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 6:28pm

If it's a revival, I think he will be able to. In interviews he always states how some of his dream roles are Bobby in Company and George in Sunday in the Park. Both roles will probably be later in his career (30s) and by then I'd think he would star in more movie/tv roles and will have a more solid fan base.

For original and new musicals, it would be a toss up. Look at what happened with Idina at If/Then.

I think Platt would definitely sell out in West End if he stars in DEH there (if it goes across the pond.)

youwillbefound3
#26Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 6:30pm

ben platt gave one of the best performances i have ever seen in a broadway show. people are buying tickets to see dear evan hansen to see him. just look at stubhub tickets the nights where ben is out, tickets drop to as low as $60, but with platt, you're lucky to get them for $300, not including fees. 

now i know people specifically want to see ben as evan hansen, but i think he will sell tickets to his next show. sure, not as much as josh groban, but after his performance in deh people are going to want to see his next show. 

LxGstv
#27Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 6:32pm

froote said: "Cynthia? Go check the grosses from The Color Purple, nothing spectacular at all and that was for her Tony, Grammy and Emmy winning role. Maybe if her film career takes off but we're a long way from that right now.

"

I know that the grosses for The Color Purple were never amazing, but the show dipped on her week off, meaning that she was in fact a big draw for that show.

froote
#28Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 6:34pm

Sure, but as I say that was for her infamous role. She never made an impact like that with any other role she did in London etc. Again, roles like Celie aren't a dime a dozen. 

broadwaysfguy
#29Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 6:35pm

very surprised people think ben platt is going to do another musical role anytime soon

would bank on him focusing on movie roles or find a tv series vehicle which highlights his acting

froote
#30Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 6:39pm

broadwaysfguy said: "very surprised people think ben platt is going to do another musical role anytime soon

would bank on him focusing on movie roles or find a tv series vehicle which highlights his acting
"

I agree, he should look for film work in my opinion. Young actors like Lucas Hedges and Timothée Chalamet - neither of whom are heartthrobs and both of whom have done theatre - are getting some great roles and acclaim. Hedges was Oscar nominated this year and Chalamet may very well be next year.

Updated On: 7/29/17 at 06:39 PM

Jarethan
#31Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 6:47pm

GeorgeandDot said: "LxGstv said: "Everyone saying that he will be a draw, provided he's in a good show with good reviews, then the actual answer is no. He isn't the draw, he's just in another good show.

If he is a draw himself, he would be able to keep a bad show open. Like War Paint relying on Lupone and Ebersole.
"

This is incorrect.  Even good shows need stars.  People just won't see a terrible show.  War Paint isn't a terrible show.  It's flawed and is helped by having two legends in the lead roles.  I can name tons of great shows that flopped because they did have a star to bring people to the box office.  Ben Platt would help draw people to see a great show.

'Legend' is the verbal equivalent of a standing ovation.  It is overused.  In what parallel universe in Christine Ebersole a legend?  I agree that Lupone is probably safely ensconced as a Broadway legend, but they don't exactly have a comparable portfolio.  I just get tired of all the hyperbole.

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#32Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 6:51pm

I would put it this way - Ben has the heft to open a show (draw investors and public interest), but he doesn't have the ability to keep it open if he's the only thing it has going.  He's not Nathan Lane, Bette Midler, or Pattti LaPone who can easily line up six months of advance sales as soon as they are announced. 

But it does put him up there with people like Christian Borle, Laura Benanti, and Patina Miller. Which is pretty heady company for a 23 year old.

I would say that his major casting limitation right now is his youth. So far he has played mostly teenagers. But he has his whole career ahead of him. If he keeps bouncing between Hollywood and New York he can raise his profile even higher. And on Broadway I would expect to see him do plays as well as musicals in the future.

The main thing is that time is on his side. Unlike most child stars, Ben seems to be right on the cusp of his career, rather than at the end.

Updated On: 7/29/17 at 06:51 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#33Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 6:57pm

Jarethan said: "GeorgeandDot said: "LxGstv said: "Everyone saying that he will be a draw, provided he's in a good show with good reviews, then the actual answer is no. He isn't the draw, he's just in another good show.

If he is a draw himself, he would be able to keep a bad show open. Like War Paint relying on Lupone and Ebersole.
"

This is incorrect.  Even good shows need stars.  People just won't see a terrible show.  War Paint isn't a terrible show.  It's flawed and is helped by having two legends in the lead roles.  I can name tons of great shows that flopped because they did have a star to bring people to the box office.  Ben Platt would help draw people to see a great show.

'Legend' is the verbal equivalent of a standing ovation.  It is overused.  In what parallel universe in Christine Ebersole a legend?  I agree that Lupone is probably safely ensconced as a Broadway legend, but they don't exactly have a comparable portfolio.  I just get tired of all the hyperbole.

Get over it.  Ebersole's a legend in her own way.  Lupone moreso, but Ebersole is still a legend.  This is such a stupid thing to say.  Seriously what a bitchy statement.

froote
#34Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 6:59pm

Jarethan asks people not to be hyperbolic when using the word legendary in regards to Ebersole but has done so on the previous post in regards to Platt. I can't.

greenifyme2
#35Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 7:25pm

I have a tendency to follow actors I really like to whatever they are in, even if I'm not interested in the show. That being said, Id pay to watch Ben sing the phone book.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#36Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 7:29pm

Yes.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#37Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 7:38pm

John Lloyd Young

Jarethan
#38Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 8:46pm

froote said: "Jarethan asks people not to be hyperbolic when using the word legendary in regards to Ebersole but has done so on the previous post in regards to Platt. I can't.

No, I said that he gave what will be considered a legendary performance, singular.  If the person had said, of Ebersole, that she gave what he thinks is / will be considered a legendary performance in Grey Gardens, I would have agreed.  My issue is that one performance or three, does not make a legend, and IMO Ebersole doesn't have a very impressive resume overall..

IMO performing stage legends alive today -- who are legends because of their Broadway work, i.e., if they never made a movie or TV show -- would probably be limited to:

-- Angela Lansbury

-- Patti Lupone 

-- Nathan Lane

-- Rosemary Harris

-- Zoe Caldwell

-- James Earl Jones

-- Frank Langella

-- Chita Rivera

-- Cherry Jones

-- Not sure who I am leaving out -- probably someone

ARGUABLY:

-- Kevin Kline

-- Bernadette Peters

-- Joel Gray (certainly gave a legendary performance in Cabaret)

-- Glenn Close (certainly gave a legendary performance in Sunset Blvd.)

LEGENDARY / PROBABLY LEGENDARY PERFORMANCE:

-- Christine Ebersole (legendary performance in Grey Gardens)

-- Ben Platt (Dear Evan Hansen)

-- Vanessa Redgrave (LDJIN)

-- Maggie Smith (Lettice and Lovage)

-- Bette Midler (Hello Dolly) (this would probably be a legendary performance by now even if no-one actually saw it)

-- Hugh Jackman in The Boy From Oz

-- etc.

Clearly, I think a long, glorious career (which provides the opportunity to build-up a theatrical portfolio) is a pre-requisite to being legendary.  Although I am sure there are probably already exceptions to that. 

If I was bitchy, I apologize.

Jarethan
#39Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 8:53pm

CurtainPullDowner said: "John Lloyd Young

Despite winning the Tony, I don't think he ever really stood out from the crowd, viv-a-vis audience association a al Ben.  Jersey Boys was about The Four Seasons.  I really don't recall the box office dipping when he left or increasing when he returned.  Re the latter, it was past consistent sell-out business and his return didn't impact the box office.  If Ben left and returned in a year or two, demand would be crazy IMO.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#40Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 9:35pm

I believe the gifted Platt will not be easy to cast in TV and film, as he's not really a traditional young leading man. He's a character actor, and a helluva powerful one. Young character actors are in demand, but they seldom carry projects.  And, casting directors may demonstrate great imagination, but those who hire often do not.  Who would be a model for a career trajectory?  From Jesse Tyler Ferguson to ... who ... Dustin Hoffman?  It's hard to say. An actor with Platt's emotional range needs to choose carefully. Timothy Hutton won the Oscar for "Ordinary People" but struggled to find roles that could use his emotional range.  And Hutton is more leading man that Platt.  

Sidebar: If Encores! ever got around to "Greenwillow," can you imagine Platt tearing into "Never Will I Marry"?  I'd pay to see and hear that. The song, so brilliantly performed by Perkins decades ago -- it breaks my heart to this day to hear his rendition -- is what Platt offers. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 7/29/17 at 09:35 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#41Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 9:47pm

Jarethan, I am rolling my eyes so hard at you right now.

Also, Bernadette Peters is "arguably" a Broadway legend?!?! What world have you been living in?  Many of the people you list as legendary I had to Google to remember even who they are or were and I've been around for quite some time.  

I accept your apology, regardless of the fact that I completely disagree with you on so many levels.

theatreguy12
#42Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 10:08pm

I think Bernadette has earned a spot a bit higher up on that list too.  

And I would have to put Audra in there, as well, considering how many Tonys she's won, across an impressive spectrum of roles, and she isn't even 50 yet.

As for Ben, it's hard to say.  My friend and I were discussing that very subject after the show.  We both agreed what an absolute phenomenon he was in that role, and we were sort of questing beyond this show how he might be cast elsewhere someday?  Does he lean more toward other contemporary musicals, or is it simply his age (and this special role) that has us thinking that way at this point?

Can I ever see him playing revivals of Crazy For You?  Or Oklahoma?  Or Baron Von Trapp?    

This was such a special role, and he gave a commanding tour de force performance that I almost can't see anyone else in the role.   Nor would I want to at this point. Furthermore, it's such an amazing performance I almost can't see him in any other role right now.

Updated On: 7/29/17 at 10:08 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#43Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 10:41pm

Ben Platt can sing Pierre and save The Great Comet! It's perfect! /s/

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#44Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:09pm

theatreguy12 said: "...As for Ben, it's hard to say.  My friend and I were discussing that very subject after the show.  We both agreed what an absolute phenomenon he was in that role, and we were sort of questing beyond this show how he might be cast elsewhere someday?  Does he lean more toward other contemporary musicals, or is it simply his age (and this special role) that has us thinking that way at this point?"

It's a fair question. Although, keep in mind he was working non-stop before DEH, and he turned down a movie to stay with the show. So booking work has never been much of a problem for him.

Updated On: 7/29/17 at 11:09 PM

froote
#45Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:13pm

True, he was working but I expect after this acclaim and awards he wont want to go back to Pitch Perfect type movies or replacing in an already existing Broadway show. 

Funny you should mention Ben as Pierre, Paul Dano played him in the BBC miniseries and whilst he's older they look the same age and kind of have a similar look. I don't think it'd be that wild of a suggestion if not for the fact that it would never happen.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#46Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:23pm

It depends if it's a revival or an original musical. He'd be a major draw in a revival, a future Sunday in the Park revival with Ben would be amazing ten/fifteen years in the future. People would come to see Ben, they'd remember him as the star in DEH, and coupled with a classic, such as, Sunday, Company, etc., the production would be a hit. But an original musical can go so many ways- so it's tough to tell

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#47Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:24pm

I actually think Paul Dano is a reasonable model in terms of a young character actor who's done quite well. Obviously he doesn't sing like Ben Platt does (I don't think), but I could see Ben being cast in similar roles in film/television. 

Jarethan
#48Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:53pm

perfectlymarvelous said: "I actually think Paul Dano is a reasonable model in terms of a young character actor who's done quite well. Obviously he doesn't sing like Ben Platt does (I don't think), but I could see Ben being cast in similar roles in film/television. 

Actually, a very good example.  The biggest issue I see with Ben Platt's career is that Ben Platt almost makes  Paul Dano seem handsome.  I watched that Ang Lee movie tonight, Billy Lynn's Whatever (pretty awful movie -- no idea what its purpose was), which had Ben Platt in a small role.  He was playing a nebbish, which was perfectly suited to his looks, and adds to the challenge of great future roles.  

Jarethan
#49Will Ben Platt sell tickets to his next show? Anyone else?
Posted: 7/30/17 at 12:10am

GeorgeandDot said: "Jarethan, I am rolling my eyes so hard at you right now.

Also, Bernadette Peters is "arguably" a Broadway legend?!?! What world have you been living in?  Many of the people you list as legendary I had to Google to remember even who they are or were and I've been around for quite some time.  

I accept your apology, regardless of the fact that I completely disagree with you on so many levels.

I hope you are kidding.  While some of those names may be on in years, they have given some incredible, I am sheepish to say legendary, performances season after season and are absolutely significant members of theatre history.  

I agree with you re Peters, but hesitated, because IMO she was probably associated with a lot more mediocre shows than, say, Lupone.  Other than SITPWG, she was much better than the shows she was in and has never had a 'monster hit', unless I am forgetting it.  (I do not include Annie Get Your Gun, probably her biggest long-run hit, because (1) she got pretty mediocre reviews in it; (2) although she won a Tony, it was in a terrible year; and (3) business went up when she was eventually replaced by Reba Mc.  Contrast that with Lupone, who at a minimum has Evita, Anything Goes (she got robbed of a Tony by someone in a supporting role), Sweeney Todd, and Gypsy (and lets not forget Sunset Blvd. and Les Mis' original Fanzine on the other side of the pond).

Someone else mentioned Audra...I agree. List was not intended to be exhaustive, rather to show that there should not be a lot of people who are considered living theatre legends.  Like the SO, overuse cheapens it.  

Updated On: 7/30/17 at 12:10 AM