pixeltracker

The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...

The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#1The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 4:10pm

What do you suppose was so verboten  about the Roundabout thread that it was deleted?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 4:15pm

Wondering the same thing. I hope a mod responds to this. Unless I missed something, the thread only consisted of thoughtful critiques of Roundabout's recent shows,  the economic workings of non-profits, and the technicalities of Times Square real estate. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 4:18pm

Man, even Scaramucci lasted longer.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Margo319
#4The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 4:28pm

Woah, that was crazy.  I guess someone works at the Roundabout and has power here.  That was a really thoughtful thread full of ideas.  Makes no sense.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#5The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 4:46pm

Extraordinarily disappointed that thread was deleted. I was thoroughly impressed how forthright and honest people were being. We obviously all want Roundabout to succeed, and being open about where we perceive shortcomings is paramount to its success. How sad. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 4:46pm

Margo319 said: "Woah, that was crazy.  I guess someone works at the Roundabout and has power here.  That was a really thoughtful thread full of ideas.  Makes no sense."

aka advertises here.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

MattRVA Profile Photo
MattRVA
#7The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 4:54pm

Yikes. Someone got their feelings hurt, I guess. This was a perfectly valid thread with fair discussion and criticism. Of course, the First Amendment doesn't apply on a message board, and the mods can delete threads as they see fit. But when a perfectly respectful, thoughtful discussion is deleted, an explanation is appropriate.

EDIT: Of course, there's always the issue of advertising $. Still, an explanation is still appropriate.

Updated On: 8/24/17 at 04:54 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 4:56pm

I'm guessing it was based on the speculation of someone's firing. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#9The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 4:58pm

It was a very civil and insightful thread.

If there are internal struggles at Roundabout, deleting a thread on BWW won't prevent them from spilling out.

But I guess if BWW couldn't scoop it up as "news"...

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 8/24/17 at 04:58 PM

Cfried
#9The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 4:58pm

Agree with everyone that the thread was very thoughtful and honest. I can't understand why it was deleted. 

Princeton2
#10The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 5:16pm

I dont think its all that surprising at all. The moment i read the original message i thought it was in dangerous almost possible libal territory. You basically have someone claiming to have inside information on not only the financial instability of a company and its possible collapse, but also naming names of people who maybe fired

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#11The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 5:23pm

Princeton2 said: "I dont think its all that surprising at all. The moment i read the original message i thought it was in dangerous almost possible libal territory. You basically have someone claiming to have inside information on not only the financial instability of a company and its possible collapse, but also naming names of people who maybe fired"

Ha, I guess that's a fair point. The thread went on for so long, and a majority of the discussion just centered around the artistic success and theoretical economics of the company. I actually forgot that the conversation started with that "inside information" angle. 

Updated On: 8/24/17 at 05:23 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#12The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 5:26pm

Princeton2, you're not wrong that the original post was perhaps a bit inflammatory, but I genuinely thought the conversation that ensued was extremely worthwhile and eye-opening.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#13The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 9:14pm

I don't recall who started the thread, but on ATC when the delete a post you get an email from the Admin explaining why, typically a cut-paste from the relevant Terms of Service. I know because when I used to visit that site I had a couple posts removed. (It was very inconsistent though, at least once a  post on a similar theme I posted about earlier was not deleted.)  

Anyway, maybe the original Roundabout poster here received an email and can share it. 

bear88
#14The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:31pm

And everyone was on their best behavior too...

But in fairness, the OP did make some very specific factual assertions about someone being fired, about the financial condition of the organization, about contingency plans, all dressed up as a gossip column item (complete with caveat). I'm not really surprised it was taken down.

But it's interesting which threads survive, and which ones don't.

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#15The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:56pm

bear88 said: "But it's interesting which threads survive, and which ones don't." 

I was surprised that BWW didn't publish an article about it that contained no more information than the thread before lunch and Michael Riedel didn't have an article quoting "unnamed sources" posted by late afternoon. It must be truly dire. 

"

Public User Profile Photo
Public User
#16The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:07pm

I fully expect this chat board to be shut down in due time.  Also, the internet is not as anonymous as you would believe.  Litigious folks have become very diligent.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#17The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/25/17 at 3:37am

Was Patti having a beef again. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

10086sunset
#18The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/25/17 at 2:20pm

Public User said: "I fully expect this chat board to be shut down in due time.  Also, the internet is not as anonymous as you would believe.  Litigious folks have become very diligent."

Sadly, I agree with this statement. 

The Roundabout thread was one of the best recent threads on here. It was intelligent discussion. It was honest and thoughtful.

This place makes no sense. The Oak threads were way worse than anything said in the Roundabout thread.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/25/17 at 3:02pm

10086sunset said: "Public User said: "I fully expect this chat board to be shut down in due time.  Also, the internet is not as anonymous as you would believe.  Litigious folks have become very diligent."

Sadly, I agree with this statement. 

The Roundabout thread was one of the best recent threads on here. It was intelligent discussion. It was honest and thoughtful.

This place makes no sense. The Oak threads were way worse than anything said in the Roundabout thread.

Ahh, but Oak doesn't pay to advertise on the site the way Roundabout likely does.

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#20The Mystery of the Vanishing Thread...
Posted: 8/25/17 at 3:07pm

As many people have pointed out here, the thread was removed because of wildly factually incorrect and libelous statements that were contained in the first post... We are working on a tech upgrade to be able to better selectively remove things in cases like this as I agree that the rest of the thread was pretty fine.

The poster was notified as to the removal, and to why.