Phantom Broadway 30th?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#50Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/24/17 at 10:27am

ThirstyThersites said: "As of about a week ago apparently he wasn't even sure when he's leaving. Something must have changed not sure why."

Mr. Barbour is now staying to the end of December.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#51Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/24/17 at 10:42am

I know Jame's wife has since gone to Clearwater FL, so I think he agreed to extend for whatever reason at the last minute. I don't know him personally, so this is only speculation.

ThirstyThersites said: "As of about a week ago apparently he wasn't even sure when he's leaving. Something must have changed not sure why."

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#52Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 2:15pm

FINALLY, they've officially announced that the 30th Anniversary celebration will be on January 24th...details coming soon.

Updated On: 10/30/17 at 02:15 PM

thedrybandit
#53Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 2:26pm

Source: http://www.playbill.com/article/broadways-the-phantom-of-the-opera-announces-cast-changes-for-30th-anniversary

Casting updates as well. New Carlotta/Piangi, and Kaley Ann Vorhees returning as alternate. Barbour leaves in December, new Phantom starts a week or two before the anniversary performance.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#54Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 2:36pm

Do we think they’ll go with a “diverse” Phantom for the 30th? There was such an emphasis on the diversity of the Christine and Raul in that announcement.

thedrybandit
#55Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 2:44pm

If it's the name I've heard then no, they aren't.

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#56Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 2:56pm

ksilver117 said: "If it's the name I've heard then no, they aren't."

I know you probably can't say, but is the name you heard a new face to the role or a returning phantom?

thedrybandit
#57Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 3:09pm

If it's the name I've heard, it will be his first time playing the Phantom in the official production (That's across West End, Broadway, tours, etc).

johannabarker
#58Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 4:09pm

What, are you saying he played the Phantom in high school or college? Or he's been in Love Never Dies? Tam Mutu?

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#59Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 4:14pm

johannabarker said: "What, are you saying he played the Phantom in high school or college? Or he's been in Love Never Dies? Tam Mutu?"

Ummmm, he DID mention on twitter he was on his way to NYC on 10/28....................

Updated On: 10/30/17 at 04:14 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#60Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 4:44pm

mozgrrl said: "johannabarker said: "What, are you saying he played the Phantom in high school or college? Or he's been in Love Never Dies? Tam Mutu?"

Ummmm, he DID mention on twitter he was on his way to NYC on 10/28....................
"

Ummm here's a link!

https://twitter.com/tammutu/status/924265638843035648

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

starlightlocamotion
#61Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 4:48pm

Dear lord is it Michael Xavier? He has never played the phantom in the phantom of the opera but he has done phantom before as Raoul. If kaylee is headed back over to phantom it makes me wonder if Michael is coming as well

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#62Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 4:50pm

starlightlocamotion said: "Dear lord is it Michael Xavier? He has never played the phantom in the phantom of the opera but he has done phantom before as Raoul. If kaylee is headed back over to phantom it makes me wonder if Michael is coming as well"

I was thinking the same thing. I really enjoyed his Phantom in POB.

starlightlocamotion
#63Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 4:51pm

I really did think his music of the night was stunning

johannabarker
#64Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 5:04pm

Michael has said that after he did Phantom in London, he didn't want to replace again. He likes the freedom of originating roles. I don't know if he's changed his mind considering he's done Prince of Broadway, however that wasn't an exact recreation of all the shows.

labellaragazza1
#65Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 5:10pm

johannabarker said: "Michael has said that after he did Phantom in London, he didn't want to replace again. He likes the freedom of originating roles. I don't know if he's changed his mind considering he's done Prince of Broadway, however that wasn't an exact recreation of all the shows."

I also asked him at PoB if he'd ever hop over to the Majestic and do the original, as he was splendid. but he said the contract was quite long doing it for 8 hows a week, and that he probably wouldn't want to. I was so hoping he would jump over. Still secretly hoping he said that to throw us off!

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#66Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 9:55pm

Part of me wishes they'd let Laird Mackintosh play the Phantom for the 30th anniversary. I know he's the understudy, but he's been with the show for a while now, and I think he's earned the right to be celebrated more thoroughly in the title role if they're not bringing back any popular veterans. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

actorgaedu Profile Photo
actorgaedu
#67Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 10:43pm

I think it's going to be Ramin Karimloo. ALW loves him and he just announced his departure from Anastasia. Great choice IMO. We'll see.

Theater anywhere, anytime and with anyone. It's my passion.

labellaragazza1
#68Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/30/17 at 11:24pm

actorgaedu said: "I think it's going to be Ramin Karimloo. ALW loves him and he just announced his departure from Anastasia. Great choice IMO. We'll see."

To my great relief, he's already announced a January concert series in London so he won't be available for the Broadway 30th. He's a good Phantom, but someone else also deserves to shine. I'm also hoping they don't do another Sierra stunt cast.

He's also said the 25th was basically the peak and he felt like it couldn't get any better, so I doubt he'd do it again.

Very excited to see what they do for the celebration on the 24th (strange as it is to have it on a Wednesday?), but I also have my tickets for the actual anniversary just in case it's a lotto again or something.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#69Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 12:25am

I’m curious as to whether Barbour would be staying if it weren’t for the whole Harvey Weinstein thing,

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#70Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:17am

Elfuhbuh said: "Part of me wishes they'd let Laird Mackintosh play the Phantom for the 30th anniversary. I know he's the understudy, but he's been with the show for a while now, and I think he's earned the right to be celebrated more thoroughly in the title role if they're not bringing back any popular veterans."

Laird Mackintosh is excellent in the title role; he plays it very much in the Michael Crawford style, which I prefer, and I would've loved to have him on for the 30th. I also think Jeremy Stolle is brilliant and very deserving of a crack at it.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#71Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:19am

actorgaedu said: "I think it's going to be Ramin Karimloo. ALW loves him and he just announced his departure from Anastasia. Great choice IMO. We'll see."

I very much doubt this. Mr. Karimloo has made statements which suggest that his Phantom days are in the past now, and I think it would be too redundant in light of the fact that he already did the 25th.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#72Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:20am

mozgrrl said: "johannabarker said: "What, are you saying he played the Phantom in high school or college? Or he's been in Love Never Dies? Tam Mutu?"

"

I'd be very happy to have Tam Mutu take over!

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#73Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:30am

Lot666 said: "Elfuhbuh said: "Part of me wishes they'd let Laird Mackintosh play the Phantom for the 30th anniversary. I know he's the understudy, but he's been with the show for a while now, and I think he's earned the right to be celebrated more thoroughly in the title role if they're not bringing back any popular veterans."

Laird Mackintosh is excellent in the title role; he plays it very much in the Michael Crawford style, which I prefer, and I would've loved to have him on for the 30th. I also think Jeremy Stolle is brilliant and very deserving of a crack at it.
"

I would LOVE to see Laird get the 30th anniversary. I really enjoy his Phantom and such a great guy!! I doubt they will give it to him, since they've announced he's taking over for the interim...have never seen Jeremy Stolle in the role, but I do love his voice!

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#74Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:35am

I wonder if they will do a new photoshoot for the new 30th Anniversary and the new Phantom. New colors/logos/merchandise would be a great idea to keep things FRESH :). It would be super boring to still see James on the billboards and buses after the 26th!