pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews- Page 2

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews

SL Rhode Island
#25ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 10:04pm

Loved it. Standouts for me were Hailey Kilgore, Alex Newell, and Merle Dandridge. Worked well in theater in the round format. Strong ensemble. Great choreography. Set and costumes were different from any I’ve ever seen— Alex Newell in an Atlanta Falcons Jersey! Stage is filled with a sand “beach” with water on one end. If you’re in the first row, your feet are in the sand.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#26ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 10:08pm

How does the story of a darker girl that falls blindly in love with a clear skin man just for him to dump her because she's out of his league hold up to our times?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#27ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 10:30pm

I saw some pics of the set on Instagram and it looks beautiful. Did anyone play the lottery? If so, how was it and where were your seats.

Very excited to hear about this!

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#28ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 10:43pm

Saw tonight’s first preview. My friend won the lottery, maybe 60 people were there? They had 28 tickets to award. We were seated in the back row of the B section, one usually where the stage would be in a proscenium or thrust staging. But, (besides one section during Sad Tale, which who cares really) with this particular design we had a really great view. 

The show is in really great shape. Inventive staging. Character driven. Really well-sung and a wonderfully evocative and immersive design. The costumes are really interesting, interested to see if they change or not. Asaka’s with the Jersey is really great. 

The score is really the star here. The new orchestrations and arrangements add a lot of texture to music that is already rhythmic and full of life. The livlier numbers are stronger than the ballads, but everything is performed with sincerity, energy, and heart. 

Arden’s concept and direction is consistently surprising and never feels gimmicky. The cast works as an ensemble and best succeed when feeding off of each other’s considerable energy and charm.

Salonga, youthful as ever, sounds like an angel and emanates warmth. Newell scores big with Mama Will Provide and is a welcome comic presence throughout. Darrington and Dandridge sound great but don’t have tons of material with which to make a more lasting impression. 

Kilgore is professional and refreshing and sounded dynamite on Waiting for Life. While not a star is born, star quality type moment, she has moments of rich expressiveness and should be proud of a commendable debut. 

In general, a few moments need polishing and tightening here and there, but as is, it’s a pretty delightful night and a welcome return for an overdue revival. Really happy I was able to see a score I love come to life in a first class way.

Edit: I see where Blaxx is coming from, by the end I was left feeling that the story leaves a bit of an awkward taste for modern audiences, but taking it in its own terms, Arden realized it beautifully. And it’s a show and production whose considerable merits rise above its shortfalls. 

"...and in a bed."
Updated On: 11/9/17 at 10:43 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#29ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 11:09pm

Good God, the race for Best Revival has begun. As soon as I walked in the theater and saw the huge and beautiful scenic design with the cast, I just knew this was going to be good.

Kilgore is super impressive as Ti Mourne. She’s spunky and youthful when she needs to and convincingly sad and protective. She’s perfectly pathetic at the end and it broke my heart. Isaac is rightfully vain and arrogant at first and his voice is so beautiful. Lea and Alex will walk away with Tony nominations. Alex is the giant standout with playful energy and his Mama Will Provide is glorious. Lea is stunning and motherly as her goddess. She does an hiliarious no cell phone skit at the beginning. Merle’s voice was perfect for Papa Ge: Deep, but soulful and villainous. Kenita and Phillip were beautiful as the parents. The little girl (Mia) was so precious with her high little voice.

Michael’s direction is again a knockout. It’s sophiscated, but extremely flowing and fun. The cherography, esepecially the ball
Scene, is just incredible. The audience cheered the whole time. The lighting design is beautiful and it matches the moods and the area and the seriousness. It really grabs your attention. The costume designs are beautiful esepecially Lea’s dress (good Lord!!) and the ball dresses. The orchestrations are gorgeous and it’s a perfect blend of Carribean and Broadway.

All they need to do is to make the beginning shorter (Thd first two songs dragged) bc Hailey took forever to come out. They also need to cut the Ballad song since it really does nothing. Other than that, it’s ready to go.

BTW: Everyone came out at the stage door. Mia was first and Lea was last. Hailey and Isaac are sweethearts!

GeorgeandDot
#30ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 11:13pm

I don't think they'll be making any cuts to the show.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#31ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 11:25pm

Edit: I see where Blaxxis coming from, bythe end Iwas left feeling that the story leaves a bit of an awkward taste for modern audiences, but taking it in its own terms, Arden realized it beautifully. And it’s a show and production whose considerable merits rise above its shortfalls.

"

Don't take me wrong, the score is just amazing and the characters loveable.The original production was a hit; today I find it is hard to ignore the already misogynist Little Mermaid tale with a whole lot of racism added to it. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#32ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 11:30pm

All they need to do is to make the beginning shorter (Thd first two songs dragged) bc Hailey took forever to come out. They also need to cut the Ballad song since it really does nothing. Other than that, it’s ready to go.

It's not a new show, love.  There is no cutting. ??

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#33ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 11:37pm

blaxx said: "

It's not a new show, love. There is no cutting. ??

"

I mean, they made cuts to the Broadway-bound Secret Garden. I think it’s possible.  

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#34ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 11:46pm

blaxx said: "

"

What? Lol. I know barely any revival in the last 10 years which came to Broadway without some differences from the original material (adding or deleting).

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#35ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 11:48pm

Valentina3 said: "blaxx said: "

"

What? Lol. I know barely any revival in the last 10 years which came to Broadway without some differences from the original material (adding or deleting).
"

I meant the sections hat were referenced; doubt 'We Dance' or 'Forever Yours' will be cut or shortened. 

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#36ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:04am

This is a beautiful, thrilling revival and proves that Arden's brilliant SPRING AWAKENING was no fluke. He is a genuine artist and a Director with imagination and superb taste. He gets stellar performances from a sterling cast.  The show is a joy to look at and warms and moves the heart. Arden is smart enough to let the score soar and tell the story and it sounds as fresh and inventive as when it first arrived.  Bravo and Brava to all involved and everyone should see and enjoy this amazing production. 

GeorgeandDot
#37ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:09am

Can someone elaborate on the orchestrations? Maybe post a list of the players and their instruments?

helvizz Profile Photo
helvizz
#38ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:19am

GeorgeandDot said: "Can someone elaborate on the orchestrations? Maybe post a list of the players and their instruments?"

You beat me to it, I was gonna ask that, I've been anxious to know what they've done with the orchestrations haha But I have to say, I'm really happy with the comments so far, specially regarding the orchestrations: since they are supposed to be inventive, no complaining is a good start, and someone's already said they sound gorgeous. It's also great to hear Lea and Alex were great; I had my doubts about him, but the promotional videos have been showing him in top shape.

Also, I know where Blaxx is coming from too. I only familiarized myself with this show a few months ago, after they'd announced the casting of the Gods. At first, I wasn't completely won over by the show because of the ending, but I like it better now - (SPOILER ALERT) it shows that the present is not always good, but there's always hope for tomorrow. It is bittersweet though, and it's really up to each audience member to decide if the sweetness is enough to overcome the bitterness. And, as sing_dance_love said, the score really is the star of this show, not the plot .

Do you guys think there's a chance of a cast recording? There are so many great singers and it's such a great score. I think this production is gonna flop unfortunately (I hope I'm wrong!), that's what's got me thinking about the cast recording matter.

Updated On: 11/10/17 at 12:19 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#39ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:26am

The BAND is listed as :

Keyboard/Melodica/Hand  Percussion--Alvin Hough Jr.  Percussion--Javier Diaz   Bass-Irio O'Farrill   Guitar/Mandolin--Hidayat Honari       And there is a synth Programmer: Randy Cohen

And they make the score sound lush, and yet organic.

No complaints just hurrahs.

GeorgeandDot
#40ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:46am

It's good to hear that it sounds lush. I was a bit concerned that that it would sound thin.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#41ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 4:14am

blaxx said: "Today I find it is hard to ignore the already misogynist Little Mermaid tale with a whole lot of racism added to it."

For what it's worth, "The Little Mermaid with racism" was pretty much what Rosa Guy was going for when she wrote the source material novel, 'My Love, My Love'. (Guy was herself black, if relevant.) If anything, I have wondered if the musical sanitises those elements a bit too much. There seems to be* a bit of a tonal mismatch between the somewhat brutal original story, and the (largely) joyous, charming vibe of the musical. But Guy did approve the adaptation based on some sample songs, so.
*Disclaimer: I've read the novel and heard the cast albums, but haven't seen the show, so maybe this is less of a thing for the show if seen in its entirety.

LxGstv
#42ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 11:54am

GeorgeandDot said: "I saw some pics of the set on Instagram and it looks beautiful. Did anyone play the lottery? If so, how was it and where were your seats.

Very excited to hear about this!
"

I love that they are doing an in person lottery, it’s just a lot more fun and exciting than online ones. It’s also nice to know how many seats were reserved for the lottery, which we never know with online lotteries...

Last night 24 seats were given for lottery winners, we were on row E on the left side of the theater (odd numbers), it appears that’s where most of the lottery tickets were. They were really good seats.

I also loved that after the show they emailed me thanking for attending the show, which was a really nice touch, I never got an email after winning any ticket lotteries, in person or online...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#43ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:10pm

Fan123 said: "blaxx said: "Today I find it is hard to ignore the already misogynist Little Mermaid tale with a whole lot of racism added to it."

For what it's worth, "The Little Mermaid with racism" was pretty much what Rosa Guy was going for when she wrote the source material novel, 'My Love, My Love'. (Guy was herself black, if relevant.) If anything, I have wondered if the musical sanitises those elements a bit too much. There seemsto be*a bit of a tonal mismatch between the somewhat brutal original story, and the (largely) joyous, charming vibe of the musical. But Guy did approve the adaptation based on some sample songs, so.
*Disclaimer: I've read the novel and heard the cast albums, but haven't seen the show, so maybe this is less of a thing for the show if seen in its entirety.
"

The book is just savage regarding the themes but it doesn't sugar coat them. It somehow reminds me of how Wicked the book was mutilated on its way to Broadway. I don't want to spoil the story but it is nothing to cheer for.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#44ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:19pm

^^The only thing I remember from the novel of Wicked were the sex scenes, and Fiyero rubbing oil on Glinda's breasts. I was young. However, it's proof that just because it's in the source material, it doesn't mean it's good for an adaptation. I see your side, Blaxx.

Updated On: 11/10/17 at 12:19 PM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#45ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:37pm

I am happy to hear that the reports are so good thus far. This wasn't on my "must-see" list this season, but now I might have to check it out! I love the cast, too...especially Boykin (who was fabulous in Sunday in the Park with George) and of course Salonga (who I'm just glad isn't in another Boublil-Schonberg show).

For the record, Fiyero rubbed oil on Elphaba's chest only. LOL!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#46ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:43pm

Definitely wasn’t expecting to read about Elphaba’s breasts when I opened this thread just now. LOL.

GeorgeandDot
#47ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:57pm

I've never seen any themes about racism in OOTI, but rather themes of colorism and classism. So I guess the story is The Little Mermaid with colorism and classism added to it. I'm not so sure about the misogyny. I mean, Ti Moune is an undeniably strong female character even if she seems to think that the only way she can survive is with her man. She's a strong woman who is hopelessly in love. Idk, if I would call it misogynistic, but rather maybe a bit old fasioned.

*SPOILERS* Also, OOTI is definitely a tragedy. It may have a hopeful ending, but the leading lady still commits suicide. It might not be as brutal as the book, but it's still VERY tragic. If they completely followed the tone of the book, it would be extremely bleak.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#48ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 1:02pm

Lack of Elphaba's breasts in the show is not why Wicked the musical is considered a weak adaptation, radderson probably took that away from the book because he was young and the way that scene is written leaves a distinct impression (it's subtle but really hot). The book's tone is just significantly less hopeful, and the male lead wasn't a chauvinistic narcissist. I still think it's a good show when not compared with the book.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#49ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 2:36pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I've never seen any themes about racism in OOTI, but rather themes of colorism and classism. So I guess the story is The Little Mermaid with colorism and classism added to it. I'm not so sure about the misogyny. I mean, Ti Moune is an undeniably strong female character even if she seems to think that the only way she can survive is with her man. She's a strong woman who is hopelessly in love. Idk, if I would call it misogynistic, but rather maybe a bit old fasioned.

*SPOILERS* Also, OOTI is definitely a tragedy. It may have a hopeful ending, but the leading lady still commits suicide. It might not be as brutal as the book, but it's still VERY tragic. If they completely followed the tone of the book, it would be extremely bleak.
"

The problem I have with OOTI is not only that Ti Moune's 'strength' is powered by chasing a clear skin rich strange male. The character of Daniel is never seen struggling for Ti Moune's affection, he completely uses her for sex knowing he won't break his previous commitment. In fact, he's very conscious that Ti Moune is not even a choice because of the difference in class. Jeez, the girl even sells her soul for f**k boy, way to pay her back, jerk. 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Knowing that she turns into a tree to look after the guy who used her and left her to die is a big bummer to me. I secretly hope the tree comes to life like in a horror movie and destroys them all for letting her die like that.  ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews