Posted: 11/12/17 at 9:20am

Yankeefan7 wrote: "Don't remember him loving a show this much since "Matilda"."

Another overhyped dud.

Audiences simply can't catch a break.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#76THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 9:23am

After Eight said: "Yankeefan7 wrote: "Don't remember him loving a show this much since "Matilda"."

Another overhyped dud.

"

Sometimes I think you're the type of person who also hates puppies and bunny rabbits.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#77THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 9:24am

After Eight said: "Yankeefan7 wrote: "Don't remember him loving a show this much since "Matilda"."

Another overhyped dud.

"

Though we on this board would catch a big break if you deleted your account  

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

After Eight
#78THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 9:31am

Poisonivy2 wrote: "Sometimes I think you're the type of person who also hates puppies and bunny rabbits."

On the contrary, I like them. They're cute and charming. I wish we had shows that were the same.

It's bad for the theatre when shows that many people dislike --- and will dislike, after having been induced to buy tickets --- receive across-the-board raves from the critics. 

It's very bad.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#79THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 10:06am

After Eight said: "Poisonivy2 wrote: "Sometimes I think you're the type of person who also hates puppies and bunny rabbits."

On the contrary,I like them. They're cute and charming. I wish we had shows that were the same.

It's bad for the theatrewhen shows that many people dislike ---and will dislike, after having been induced to buy tickets ---receive across-the-boardraves from the critics.

It's very bad.
"

Is there ANYTHING composed in the last 50 years for MT that you like? Are there any serious plays (not cute and charming, serious) that you like? 

After Eight
#80THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 10:17am

Poisonivy2 wriote: "Is there ANYTHING composed in the last 50 years for MT that you like?"

Sorry, don't know what MT refers to.

"Are there any serious plays (not cute and charming, serious) that you like?"

Yes.

The issue here has nothing to with what I like or don't. The issue is the recurrent problem of unanimous critical raves afforded to shows that divide or actively turn off audiences. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#81THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 10:20am

After Eight said: "Poisonivy2 wriote: "Isthere ANYTHING composed in the last 50 years for MT that you like?"

Sorry, don't know what MT refers to.

"Are there any serious plays (not cute and charming, serious) that you like?"

Yes.

The issue here has nothing to with what I like or don't. The issue is therecurrent problem of unanimous critical raves afforded to shows that divide or actively turn off audiences.
"

MT = musical theater

And I ask because you also seem to take offense at people suggesting musicals you might actually like. Not critics, but ppl on this board. I remember once suggesting that you might like Waitress and you dismissed it out of hand.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#82THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 10:25am

I would LOVE to know what you consider a show that doesn't "divide" audiences. Because I don't think I've ever encountered a single show that hasn't turned off some audiences while enchanting others. So by that metric, critics should never rave about any show because it divides audiences. 

Also: hi, audience member here, and I absolutely loved TBV, so please don't paint everyone with the same brush. Not that I think you give any credence to what any audience member says who doesn't agree with you, but still.

After Eight
#83THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 10:56am

Bwayrose7 wrote: "I would LOVE to know what you consider a show that doesn't "divide" audiences."

Please don't be so disingenuous. You know exactly the kind of shows I'm referring to. All you need do is read the previews threads to Groundog Day, The Encounter, The Flick, and yes The Band's Visit to know the kind of division I'm referring to. Yes, there will invariably be people who dislike everything from Death of a Salesman  to Fiddler on the Roof. But it's all a question of degree, as I'm sure you understand. Shows which received unanimous raves like Guys and Dolls, My Fair Lady, and Hello, Dolly! did not "divide" or turn off audiences in the way that Groundhog Day, The Encounter, The Flick, and so many others do.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#84THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 10:58am

*Raises small voice* 

Although I think it's a fun show and I'm glad I saw the revival with such a great cast I don't think I'd ever consider Hello Dolly! to be one of my favorites. 

RaisedOnMusicals
#85THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 11:18am

After Eight said: "Bwayrose7 wrote: "I wouldLOVE to know what you consider a show that doesn't "divide" audiences."

Please don't be so disingenuous. You know exactly the kind of shows I'm referring to. All you need do is read the previews threads to Groundog Day, The Encounter, The Flick, and yes The Band's Visit to know the kind of division I'm referring to. Yes, there will invariablybe people who dislike everything from Death of a Salesman toFiddler on the Roof. But it's all a question of degree, as I'm sure you understand.Shows whichreceived unanimous raves like Guys and Dolls, My Fair Lady, and Hello, Dolly! didnot "divide" or turn off audiences in the way that Groundhog Day, The Encounter, The Flick, and so many others do.
"

Comparing new musicals and plays to revivals of classics is idiotic. But then again, what do we expect from this idiotic troll other than inane comparisons like that?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#86THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 11:43am

You guys, believe me, I disagree with After Eight as much as the next guy, but who cares? He's entitled to his opinions, as annoying some of us might find them to be. It's wasted energy spending time trying to beat him up for believing what he believes. Just let him live!

RaisedOnMusicals
#87THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 12:29pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "You guys, believe me, I disagree with After Eight as much as the next guy, but who cares? He's entitled to his opinions, as annoying some of us might find them to be. It's wasted energy spending time trying to beat him up for believing what he believes. Just let him live!"

"Live and live, love and let love, that's what Jimmy tells the world where 'ere he goes"  

Fiorello

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#88THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 7:14pm

I think many people (myself included) need to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggE-16moOgk&feature=youtu.be

Seriously.

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#89THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 7:21pm

poisonivy2 said: "I think many people (myself included) need to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggE-16moOgk&feature=youtu.be

Seriously.
"

Been seeing this video in my feed a lot lately.  Thought the video was going to be the complete opposite of her point (and I think that may also be the point), so I’m glad I actually gave it a chance!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#90THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 7:38pm

Here's that gorgeous ending "Answer Me" ~ SPOILER 

BroadwayConcierge said: "Finally saw this, and dear God, what an exquisitely beautiful show. Never have I seen anything on Broadway that the words "intoxicating" and "entrancing" encapsulate so well.

Brantley's following word**** the nail on the head: "“The Band’s Visit” flows with the grave and joyful insistence of life itself. All it asks is that you be quiet enough to hear the music in the murmurs, whispers and silences of human existence at its most mundane — and transcendent."

To be sure, not much happens. But it's in the show's uneventfulness that I found so much extraordinary nuance and beauty. And humanness. It's maybe one of the mostrealpieces of theatre I've ever seen.

The score is utterly magnificent and is the star of the show, tied with Katrina freaking Lenk, who delivers a seductive performance worthy of aTony. I'll be rooting for her in June.

You can't go into this expecting a big, ol' Broadway musical. But if you can just let the production do its thing, it's a slow burn, butit just washes over you. I was overwhelmed by the end (and ugh, that GORGEOUS ending!!!).

I adored this show.
"

BC & GeorgeandDot ~ The Finale "Answer Me" ~ 360 Video: On-Stage at Broadway’s “The Band's Visit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXrwqtztFtU

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Here's that gorgeous ending "Answer Me" ~ SPOILER 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 11/12/17 at 07:38 PM

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#91THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 9:30pm

Some shows shout. Others whisper. Some fall in the middle. This is a whispering show and if you hear it, it just might amaze you with what it has to say.

”Answer Me” has much of the same effect in me that the finale of Great Comet had on me—sort of stunned and left in silence because of what I heard and what I felt. It hits all emotions.

I would encourage anyone on the fence about the show to give it a shot. Even if you dislike it, you’re seeing people who WILL, almost undoubtedly, be Tony nominees.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#92THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/13/17 at 7:23am

Tony Shalhoub has a cold.  He was near Boston last night and tonight for an event and was coughing and obviously congested.

Told some great stories about his career, though, and that he's terrified every time he does his song in this show.

ArtMan
#93THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/14/17 at 11:01pm

poisonivy2 said: 

And one thing about the musical bothered me:

I didn't like how after Tewfiq poured his heart out to Dina about his wife and son Dina quickly has a random hookup with someone else in the band. It seemed to cheapen their whole connection.

"

While listening to the beautiful Answer Me, my memory went back to when I saw the show back on October 31.  I really loved that number live as well and sitting so close(row BB)  made the moments more intimate. I know I stated the show was okay, but what I really didn't like was the character choice (that PoisonIvy2 alludes to) made by Dina.  I kind of understand it, but I agree with PoisonIvy2  It cheapened the connection I thought they made.  Had that scene gone a different way, then I would be like most everyone else...giving it a rave.  That choice bothered me that much.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#94THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/15/17 at 2:37pm

ArtMan said: "poisonivy2 said:

And one thing about the musical bothered me:

I didn't like how after Tewfiq poured his heart out to Dina about his wife and son Dina quickly has a random hookup with someone else in the band. It seemed to cheapen their whole connection.

"

While listening to the beautiful Answer Me, my memory went back to when I saw the show back on October 31. I really loved that number live as well and sitting so close(row BB) made the moments more intimate. I know I stated the show was okay, but what I really didn't like was the character choice (that PoisonIvy2 alludes to) made by Dina. I kind of understand it, but Iagree with PoisonIvy2 It cheapened the connection I thought they made. Had that scene gone a different way, then I would be like most everyone else...giving it a rave. That choice bothered me that much.
"

It upset me a lot because I thought one of the themes of the musical is that Dina despite her world-weary air really has a romantic heart and her only knowledge of Egyptians is through songs and movies (thus, "Omar Sharif"THE BAND's VISIT Reviews. Then over the course of the night she meets a flesh and blood Egyptian man who at the end of the night confides something personal and painful to Dina. So when Dina jumped into bed with Haled I sort of felt cheated -- like she just wanted a random hookup and her connection with Tewfiq wasn't real. I don't know if that's a fair reaction but since I think we're supposed to like Tewfiq and the admission of how his son and wife died is the emotional high-point of the story. I just didn't like Dina being like "Ok sorry life sucks. Let's hook up. No? Then I'm outta here."

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#95THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/15/17 at 3:16pm

I didn't have an issue with what Dina did... not a wise or necessarily admirable move, but believable. She obviously has a self-fulfilling and sorta self-destructive thing going on, illustrated mainly by the inertia keeping her from ever leaving town and moving on to a better/more suitable life. She's desperate for SOMETHING to happen, and at the time, that was it... and I'd guess she felt just as unfulfilled after as she did before. 

And regarding this being a show that only critics fawn over, I have to say it was my favorite show/event from our last trip. And we saw 10 over the long weekend... a mix of Broadway, off-broadway, and Joe's Pub/54 Below shows. Was so caught up in it and its low-key sweet/mellow vibe, that I literally (and quietly) cried quite a bit when Answer Me started. Really got me, and I feel in love with just about every character. My husband too, and he only really likes about 1/3 of the 20-25 shows we see in NYC, Chicago and at home (tour) each year. 

Updated On: 11/15/17 at 03:16 PM

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#96THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/15/17 at 5:39pm

Pretty shocked at how many take issue with Dina’s decision in that last scene (won’t repeat here for spoiler purposes). To me it’s very clear why she did I?t. Every molecule of her being was aching for connection in a tangible sense and she spent the evening thinking she was creating that with Tewfiq. That was only solidified in his moment of deep confidence in her (his confession re wife and son). When he leaves her high and dry at the end of the night, it’s a devastating blow for her (recall how she desperately tries to lure him to stay awake “I have wine in the fridge!”). But he still leaves. That hurts her. She’s feeling as alone if not more so than when the evening began. Then this young guy extends an olive branch of connection; she knows it’s futile. I?t doesn’t matter. She needs SOMETHING—and so she accepts, well, something.

ArtMan
#97THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/15/17 at 7:03pm

I agree with both of you.  I really liked your explanation, jpbran.  As I stated in my original post, I understood why she did it.  I just didn't like that she did it.  Reading both of your posts makes alot more sense then me thinking she was just lonely.

Updated On: 11/15/17 at 07:03 PM

CoercedBull Profile Photo
CoercedBull
#98THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/15/17 at 11:03pm

I suppose this is a fairly uninteresting post, but I just got tix for this for January 2nd and this is maybe the most excited I've been to see a new show ever. Every review has indicated that everything about this show will be right up my alley. I love quiet, unassuming things in musical theater and I just can't wait to see this show. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#99THE BAND's VISIT Reviews
Posted: 11/17/17 at 10:10am

Great live performances and interview with the cast and creative team for WNYC.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/bands-visit/