pixeltracker

PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original- Page 2

PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#25PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 1/3/18 at 10:03am

^When the current tour was in Philly a few months ago, the first few days the chandelier didn't drop due to safety concerns but they eventually got it up and running and I was able to see it fall. The drop is very quick and I can definitely see why they would want to make sure nothing goes wrong because it does get VERY close to the audience below it. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#26PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 1/3/18 at 10:04am

Lot666 said: "tourboi said: "Lot666 said: "When I saw the tour, the chandelier did not "crash" at all. It just shook a little and made some sparks."

Perhaps there was a malfunction that day."

I saw the touring production twice and the chandelier did the same thing both times (it essentially did what the one at the Royal Albert Hall did for the London 25th).

tourboi said: "...it explodes, jerks back and forth, then free falls very, very fast, stopping quite close to the audience during a blackout during which an explosion is heard and fake glass shatters on top of the audiences heads."

There was no "free fall" when I saw it (there was no "fall" at all). Perhaps the effect was "enhanced" at some point further into the tour.
"

I saw the tour in Philly in November and there was no falling of the chandelier, only the sparks etc as Lot666 has stated. I guess it's possible they've updated since November, tho.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#27PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 1/3/18 at 10:58am

^That's because as I mentioned in my post below you during the first week they were trying to make sure everything was secure. I talked to one of the merchandise people and that's what they told me about why it hadn't fallen. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

tourboi
#28PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 1/3/18 at 1:23pm

There was no "free fall" when I saw it (there was no "fall" at all). Perhaps the effect was "enhanced" at some point further into the tour."

I saw the tour on it's second (or third) stop originally in Minneapolis. It free fell there, twice. It's always been there but "these things do happen." Tech is fickle. Maybe you've just had extraordinarily bad luck and seen it during two malfunctions. I've also seen the show when the drapes haven't worked and it's been covered the whole time. Then again, as I said, I've seen the original without a chandelier drop, and another time with the boat getting stuck and them having to walk on water... things don't always work. 

But the fact is... the chandelier does indeed drop, very fast, and does 'shatter' over the audience. It's a remarkable effect. 

Did you see the tour in the UK or US? In the UK the rigging was completely different, and it didn't fall there. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#29PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 1/3/18 at 1:41pm

tourboi said: "Did you see the tour in the UK or US? In the UK the rigging was completely different, and it didn't fall there."

I'm assuming this question was directed at me. I saw it in the U.S.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#30PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 1/3/18 at 7:54pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "^When the current tour was in Philly a few months ago, the first few days the chandelier didn't drop due to safety concerns but they eventually got it up and running and I was able to see it fall. The drop is very quick and I can definitely see why they would want to make sure nothing goes wrong because it does get VERY close to the audience below it."

I saw the show in Philadelphia as well over Veteran's Day Weekend. The chandelier drop was rather fast. During intermission they left the chandelier there and everyone was taking pictures of it. I moved around and tried to get some pictures of it, but by time I got to the orchestra floor they had raised it. Had a great view from Balcony Box 31 Seat 1 in the stunning Academy of Music.

Academy of Music

Phantom of the Opera Chandelier
As viewed from my seat

Updated On: 1/3/18 at 07:54 PM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#31PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 1/3/18 at 8:04pm

tourboi said: "But the fact is... the chandelier does indeed drop, very fast, and does 'shatter' over the audience. It's a remarkable effect."

Can confirm it did this in Philadelphia as well when I saw it.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#32PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 1/4/18 at 1:22am

That fact that there are multiple stories of malfunctions on both the tour and in the original makes it a bit scarier to think that one of the malfunctions could be that it actually falls on an audience member.  I get that there would be multiple safeguards there, and not having it go at all could be one of the things that is done when something malfunctions, but, as was said above, "these things do happen". 

Stellasteve
#33PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 9/5/18 at 12:56pm

I am taking my daughter to see the show for the first time in San Francisco this weekend.  I didn't notice this addressed in the thread, but does anyone know if the title song is still partially prerecorded in the new tour?  Since the descent into the lair has been changed, I'm hoping it was simplified such that the actors can actually sing the song now.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#34PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 9/5/18 at 7:40pm

I had the misfortune of seeing the tour recently and I believe the first part of the title song is still pre-recorded and I’m not exactly sure why. I do believe it is the main actors descending the staircase at that point and not doubles but it sounded pre-recorded and I’m fairly certain I heard the track played during sound check before they opened the doors to the house.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#35PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:35pm

I love the original, but not sure why they don’t update some of it. The fake dummies in “Masquerade” or the dummy that flies in during the opening. Just some little tweaks instead of keeping it as a museum piece.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#36PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 9/6/18 at 10:07am

RippedMan said: "I love the original, but not sure why they don’t update some of it. The fake dummies in “Masquerade” or the dummy that flies in during the opening. Just some little tweaks instead of keeping it as a museum piece."

The dummy that flies in during the opening?

Stacey954 Profile Photo
Stacey954
#37PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/11/18 at 7:35pm

Caption

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I just got home from the 2:00 p.m. matinee and everything about this new production is wrong. I felt like I was watching a high school production. I can't believe I paid a $150 and had front row (cast seats) but everything that made it magical is all gone now.

Here are some mentions:

1. Phantom is controlling, brooding and violent.

2. The 1st dress christine wore. No more white snow princess. No sparkles. Some red vampy dress. Christines innocence is gone.

3. The chandelier is ok. Just shook and sparked.

4. That amazing staircase scene gone

5. The trippy dreamlike elaborate lair boat scene is gone.

6. The office scenes are confusing.

7. The wedding dress mirror scene is gone.

8. The gorgeous Phantom / Skull masquerade costume is gone.

9. The staircase during masquerade is gone. Was NOT ready for that.

10. The costumes were pretty toned down.

11. No monkey costume during masquerade;(

12. Cemetary scene super boring.

13. A very slutty Christine during PTPONR.

14. No hand at the level of your eyes. Gone.

15. When christine retirns at the end he never sees her. She leaves with Raoul hand in hand. She clearly never cared for him even the tiniest bit. I always felt Christine sympathetically cared and may have been mildly conflicted. No more.

I was very very confused except that I recognized the music because  But I was watching an entirely different show today totally unrecognizable in comparison to older tour and NY production.

My God has Raoul always been this angry and annoying?  Christine actually smacks him.

I am so depressed i am watching the 2004 movie remake but loving on David Benoit the only good thing in that production. He is really amazing.

Cant figure out how to post images so heres a link.

https://imgur.com/a/93cx1zN

Thanks!

Updated On: 10/12/18 at 07:35 PM

Stellasteve
#38PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 1:34am

Agreed, Stacy 954.  Despite what I read on the board here, I went in with an open mind but left underwhelmed and very disappointed.  Saw it in San Francisco last month and couldn't believe what a let down it was compared to the LA and SF companies in the '90s.  In addition to all you called out, I felt like some of the cast members' voices were not as strong as they should be and they weren't up to the challenge of the show.  Not recommended.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#39PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 8:17am

2. The 1st dress christine wore. No more white snow princess. No sparkles. Some red vampy dress. Christines innocence is gone.

Please explain what white dress you mean. The Negligee over the hannibal costume?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Stacey954 Profile Photo
Stacey954
#40PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 11:01am

No the dress in her first performance think of me

Plexsis
#41PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 11:22am

Stacey954 said: "No the dress in her first performance think of me"

I think the “white princess dress” was only in the movie.  Christine always wore the red Hannibal costume during that song in the show 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#42PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 11:25am

Stacey954 said: "No the dress in her first performance think of me"

Christine does not wear a sparkly white dress in "Think of Me"; she wears what is basically her Hannibal slave girl costume (mostly red and green) with a duplicate of Carlotta's big skirt over the bottom.

Fosse76
#43PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 11:49am

Justin D said: "2. The 1st dress christine wore. No more white snow princess. No sparkles. Some red vampy dress. Christines innocence is gone.

Please explain what white dress you mean. The Negligee over the hannibal costume?"

There are a few comments she made that also seem unclear.

"That amazing staircase scene gone"

I thought she meant Masquerade, but she mentions that one specifically a few points later, and there is no other "staircase scene" in the show.

"The trippy dreamlike elaborate lair boat scene is gone."

I would never refer to that sequence in the original production as "trippy." That more describes the film than the original staging. 

"The office scenes are confusing."

If there is no major change in the score, I'm not sure why it would be confusing.

"Cemetary scene super boring."

Again, if there is no major change in the score, I'm not sure what would make this scene any less boring than the original. The fireballs in the original don't offer all that much and really aren't that exciting, though the final flames are impressive. But the scene overall is mostly dull, and actually when I think about it seem out of place and unnecessary.

"No hand at the level of your eyes. Gone."

Did they remove this lyric? Or the gesture? 

tourboi
#44PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 12:10pm

Sounds like the comparisons being made by Stacy are to the movie version more than the original stage one.

Stacey954 Profile Photo
Stacey954
#45PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 9:08pm

Possibly the white dress but i assure you i have seen this a handful of times and have the ticket stubs and playbills to prove it. The other points were valid. I remember that particular scene having a certain element to it that was. Not there. Granted, prior to this i saw the production maybe 10 years ago with the tour cast and wasnt as disappointed.

Stacey954 Profile Photo
Stacey954
#46PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 9:11pm

The other staircase scene is when phantom takes christine down the lair. It slants. Now they have a turntable sjmiliar to les mis that has stairs that come me out.

Stacey954 Profile Photo
Stacey954
#47PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 9:14pm

The gesture isnt as prevalent since the entire set is different. Check it out. Its on tour! My opinion. No need to take it apart. My review was meant for someone who has seen the older tour production and ny as i. Peace.

Updated On: 10/12/18 at 09:14 PM

Stacey954 Profile Photo
Stacey954
#48PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/12/18 at 9:23pm

Stellasteve said: "Agreed, Stacy 954. Despite what I read on the board here, I went in with an open mind but left underwhelmed and very disappointed. Saw it in San Francisco last month and couldn't believe what a let down it was compared to the LA and SF companies in the '90s. In addition to all you called out, I felt like some of the cast members' voices were not as strong as they should be and they weren't up to the challenge of the show. Not recommended."

Thanks! There was alot more but whats the point!? Whateves. But in tour cos you dont always get 1st rate vocal talent (sag). I have no complaints about to talent because ive come to expect that from tour cos. My critque was more over the new production and the important elements removed. Budget cuts i guess but ticket prices are significantly up. Shows are competive. I get it.

Updated On: 10/12/18 at 09:23 PM

Sally Burns
#49PHANTOM Current Tour vs Original
Posted: 10/13/18 at 6:43am

I saw the Phantom tour in SF last month too and I was disappointed as well. I understand that changes have to be made for tours, but it felt like some of the choices they made had nothing to do with that. For example, Christine's dress in Masquerade was just a pink and purple satin corset with a skirt. It's similar to what's used in the current Broadway version but without any rhinestones, stars, or other adornment. So many of the other costumes in the production are blinged out to the max so it made no sense to me why Christine's costume was so plain for this song.

Christine slapping Raoul is apparently a tour thing. I saw some comments about it on Instagram by one of the actresses who played Christine on tour last year and she said that it would never be allowed in the Broadway version.

The change I hated the most was when Christine returns to give back the ring, the Phantom doesn't turn around and see her so she just puts the ring on his desk and leaves.

ETA: I never saw the original Broadway production, but I saw the LA production with David Gaines in 1993. I was up on the nosebleeds at the Ahmanson.

Updated On: 10/13/18 at 06:43 AM