pixeltracker

At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)

At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)

Relevance81491
#1At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 1/30/18 at 7:00pm

I think this is a great match of director/playwright and look forward to seeing what Neugebauer and the cast do with this classic material.  Early Reports are appreciated as always

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#2At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 2/8/18 at 5:23pm

A staggering production. You will never see these plays done better.

"In memory, everything happens to music"

theatregoer7
#3At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 2/8/18 at 5:30pm

Thanks for the good review Baker, excited to see it.  I thankfully bought another ticket but they wouldn't let me exchange.  So, I'm just trying to get my money back!

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#4At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 2/9/18 at 12:05am

I see everything Lila Neugebauer directs, so I caught this last weekend and enjoyed myself, but not nearly as much as BakerWilliams. Katie Finneran is wonderful, and will only improve once she gets fully confident with all her dialogue (50 minutes of non-stop banter back and forth). Paul Sparks was by far the best part of the production for me - granted, he has the flashiest role, but his command of the stage was powerful. Robert Sean Leonard was...fine? He seemed to be playing at Katie instead of to her, so it took me out of the world a bit (again, they literally just have a 50 minute scene, so I'm sure remembering lines is a factor.) The finale of the play felt a bit flat due to the physicality required for it (won't spoil here), but I'm sure with practice it'll get better.

For $30, you can't go wrong, and it is a good thing to see when there's not a whole lot else new opening. I'd also recommend staying in the house for intermission, as the set transition for act 2 is quite mesmerizing (at least I found so...but then again, maybe it's saying something that I found that a bigger takeaway then anything in the actual play lol)

Updated On: 2/9/18 at 12:05 AM

The Other One
#5At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 2/9/18 at 6:35am

BakerWilliams said: "A staggering production. You will never see these plays done better."

You will certainly never see "The Zoo Story" with fewer sexual undercurrents.

After Eight
#6At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 2/9/18 at 6:56am

When this pairing first appeared, I felt the addition of the first piece added nothing to any understanding of the second, and was unnecessary in general. I felt the same this time.

All three performers are excellent, and Paul Sparks is brilliant. The playing space and set design are too vast, and the blocking only exacerbates the problem. At times Katie Finneran and Robert Sean Leonard are so far apart they could use megaphones. Very strange.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#7At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 2/9/18 at 7:18am

The set translation? I missed that! All I noticed is that park benches were in place. 

The Other One
#8At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 2/9/18 at 7:33am

After Eight said: "When this pairing first appeared, I felt the addition of the first pieceadded nothing to any understanding of the second, and was unnecessary in general. I felt the same this time.

All three performers are excellent, and Paul Sparks is brilliant. The playing space and set design are too vast, and the blocking only exacerbates the problem. At times Katie Finneran and Robert Sean Leonard are so far apart they could use megaphones. Very strange.
"

I like Homelife, but have to agree that it is unnecessary to any understanding or appreciation of The Zoo Story.  Might Peter's fear of unleashing himself with Ann have been better explained as the result of his encounter with Jerry in the park, and with the plays presented in reverse order?  I wonder.

I loved Katie Finneran's performance, and hope I get a chance to see how the production develops later in its run.

Updated On: 2/9/18 at 07:33 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#9At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 2/9/18 at 12:06pm

I agree with AfterEight about the space. The actors seemed to be drowning in all the empty space onstage, and the staging ended up feeling very static and aimless. I think Neugebauer does best with hyper-naturalistic plays. 

I also agree that the actors were excellent though! 

wolfwriter
#10At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 3/7/18 at 12:26am

Caught up with this tonight. It's well-done and never lags for entertainment. The cast is, indeed excellent, but it has its minor issues.

Homelife is funny and engaging, but, I agree, it's not necessary to any understanding of Zoo Story. I, too, was curious why the order isn't reversed. It might, more effectively explain the relationship between Peter and his wife.

I didn't understand the set. After Eight is correct. Too few people and too much stage, where it's almost distracting. It seems unnatural and an unnecessarily imposing space to fill.

Paul Sparks is a force of nature. He is riveting. I now know who I would like to see as Pale in a Burn This revival.

Overall, well worth the bargain $30 ticket price.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#11At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 3/7/18 at 12:38am

Paul Sparks truly was mesmerizingly brilliant in this.

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#12At Home at the Zoo @ Signature (PREVIEWS)
Posted: 3/7/18 at 7:57pm

100% agree about Sparks. A name I've heard of, but have never seen in action to my knowledge. WOW.