pixeltracker

Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?

Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?

PattyO'Furniture Profile Photo
PattyO'Furniture
#1Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 11:18am

There's got to be a reason that Laura Osnes did not open ANASTASIA - her voice is too gorgeous, effortless, and resonant for her not to have been cast (especially singing "Journey to the Past"Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia? .  She's a Tony nominee and a safe bet - surely, she was the front-runner.  I just don't know the reason and thought someone here might be able to shed some light.  Scheduling conflict?  I do see she might be perceived as less gritty/too refined for Act I, but surely there was more to not securing her for this role than that, right?  

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#2Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 11:24am

Not that Laura is a "known" actress outside of 100,000 people or less but she is known enough to require a higher paycheck.  99% of the audience doesn't care who's playing Anastasia as long as they can sing it.  They probably went with the cheaper option.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#3Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 11:24am

She was probably already committed to Bandstand, which had been in the works since the fall of 2015 at Paper Mill. I agree though, she would've been amazing!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#4Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 11:30am

Last year I saw Bandstand and Anastasia on back to back nights. I disliked both, but I remember thinking while seeing Anastasia on Wednesday night (after seeing Bandstand Tuesday night) how much better Anastasia would have been with Laura Osnes and Corey Cott as Anya and Dimiti.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#5Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 11:33am

I love Christy. However, I feel like she over acts the part. And her facial experssions are too much. Laura would be great she just has that natural princess feel to her

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#6Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 11:39am

Bwayfan292 said: "I love Christy. However, I feel like she over acts the part. And her facial experssions are too much. Laura would be great she just has that natural princess feel to her"

I agree with this 100%. Christy has a beautiful voice, but her acting left a great deal to be desired.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

JennH
#7Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 11:42am

bwayphreak234 said: "Last year I saw Bandstand and Anastasia on back to back nights. I disliked both, but I remember thinking while seeing Anastasia on Wednesday night (after seeing Bandstand Tuesday night) how much better Anastasia would have been with Laura Osnes and Corey Cott as Anya and Dimiti."

I honestly would have bored out of my mind with those two. Christy, while still in the cookie cutter Princess mold, there is a small window of grit and tough survivor in her persona. Only a shadow but it's there. She even had decent comic timing when it's called for. I think they only reason we don't see it more is the writing. McNally really didn't write what one would call a good book, it's quite lackluster. I love Laura to bits, but there's not one sliver of grit, toughness, or comic wit to her natural persona. I've seen her live three or four times now and even when there's a moment that calls for good comic timing, she does not deliver. For example, the moment Anya is railing at who she thinks is Dimitri for his con scheme, while the Empress enters and she turns and sees it's not him, it's actually reads well with Christy, and I can't in any way see Laura delivering moments like that well. I actually gave a good chuckle at Christy's delivery, but I doubt I would have done so with Laura, because comedienne, she is not. She just doesn't have good comic timing. I can't imagine she didn't try for Anya though.

And funny, Laura and Christy are the same age, but Laura actually looks her age, Christy reads much younger. I was fooled for ages into thinking she was mid 20's or so. Laura just looks the slightest bit too old for it.

Updated On: 2/24/18 at 11:42 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#8Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 1:27pm

As great Laura would've been, that casting probably would've felt too on the nose (especially since she's already played Cinderella).

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#9Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 2:05pm

She said at one of her concerts that she was up for the part, which is sad. So, she did try. I hope she's Christy's replacement. And I also hope she gets the Disney Princess part she truly deserves someday. If only BaTB remained opened while she was in Grease...

PattyO'Furniture Profile Photo
PattyO'Furniture
#10Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 2:07pm

Agree with almost everything above - thanks for the input - greatly appreciated!

Christy Altomare has that grit factor, but - I am going to leave this as vague as possible - I had a terrible time watching her Broadway.com blog for the reasons mentioned.  It just was not effortless, smooth, nor did it endear her to me (not that my opinion of an actor should make or break a Broadway show) - I struggled through it, wincing at the uncomfortableness of it all.   

On a side not - if you want to see a seemingly effortless, polished, and highly enjoyable Broadway.com blog, check out Ali Ewoldt's - what a professional she is.  While you're at it, Sheryl Lee Ralph knocked it out of the park with hers - truly a treasure.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#11Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 2:23pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "She said at one of her concerts that she was up for the part, which is sad. So, she did try. I hope she's Christy's replacement. And I also hope she gets the Disney Princess part she truly deserves someday. If only BaTB remained opened while she was in Grease..."

I remember reading once that she did audition to replace Sierra Boggess in The Little Mermaid, but didn't really work out.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#12Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 2:27pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I hope she's Christy's replacement."

Chances seem slim, since it's sounding like she'll be leading a revival of Crazy for You next season.

ermengarde
#13Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 3:16pm

Laura will never replace at this point in her career unless it was a role she really wanted. I'm sure she's been approached for Wicked, for example. Especially not a role she was rejected from in the first place.

I personally think Christy is more unique in terms of appearance and acting. More spunky than Laura who is more refined.

I don't see Christy leaving any time soon, she loves the role. Unless she got another title role offer on Broadway, or left to open a West End production. 

And oh god, that book is so bad.

CPannullo
#14Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 3:35pm

They’re holding auditions for several parts including anya in March 6 so she may be leaving soon

ermengarde
#15Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 3:39pm

Well by Equity Rules they have to hold open auditions every so often even if they're not needing any. And I would not be surprised if some of the current understudies will get to be the lead on tour so they're looking for new understudies.

CPannullo
#16Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 3:51pm

I know Caroline O’Connor is leaving because she posted almost 2 weeks ago that she only had 6 weeks left

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#17Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 6:41pm

As much as I love Laura and think she’d be utterly fantastic in the part; I’m glad it went to Christy. When you see her as Anya (in my experience, personally) she just radiates the character. You truly feel like you’re watching Anastasia, not an actress playing Anastasia. I do think Laura should replace or go on tour (she’d also make a great Glinda too; though I doubt she’s never been asked before) because her take on the character is lovely.

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#18Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 6:48pm

While I think she's obviously be a great Anya, I personally want her to start taking some more grown up roles, and it seems like that's what Laura wants too. She's in her 30's. I'd rather her go into Waitress than Anastasia.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 6:52pm

dianamorales said: "While I think she's obviously be a great Anya, I personally want her to start taking some more grown up roles, and it seems like that's what Laura wants too. She's in her 30's. I'd rather her go into Waitress than Anastasia."

I agree. Waitress would certainly be a bolder move for Laura, at this point in her career. 

Jeffrey Karasarides
#20Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 7:00pm

dianamorales said: "While I think she's obviously be a great Anya, I personally want her to start taking some more grown up roles, and it seems like that's what Laura wants too. She's in her 30's. I'd rather her go into Waitress than Anastasia."

She at least got to go from Grease to South Pacific.

gallerygirl Profile Photo
gallerygirl
#21Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 7:01pm

Interested to see who'll replace Caroline. Lesli Margherita would be a good fit.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#22Laura Osnes - Why not Anastasia?
Posted: 2/24/18 at 7:18pm

Kind of a silly discussion since both women are very talented. I may be mistaken but I think they have different vocal ranges and sounds. Christy is more of a belter and does read a bit younger. Laura seems to have a more legit sound.  

I do agree that the book of Anastasia is terrible and the score rather lackluster. My big problem here is the lack of creative talent that can provide these two the shows they deserve.