pixeltracker

Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show

Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show

Malatenj Profile Photo
Malatenj
#1Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:30pm

My HS daughters and I will be in town the second week of April for their spring break and we have tickets for the following: Once on this Island Sweeney Todd Seafarer Say Something Bunny Lobby Hero The Bands Visit What must-see show are we missing? (We’ve already see Ham, DEH, CFA) We are leaning toward a musical and we’d be open to off-broadway. We were thinking Carousel but early reviews are mixed and we’d like to see something new, if possible. Our last open slot is a Wednesday matinee, which limits some shows. Also, girls are iffy on BOM. Any suggestions welcomed. And discounted tickets options even more welcomed. (-:

veraclaythorne2 Profile Photo
veraclaythorne2
#2Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:35pm

For a fun Wednesday Matinee that definitely can be gotten with discounts - I'd go with SpongeBob. I had no expectations and ended up having a wonderful time, and I even went back with a high school group, and they loved it! 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#3Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:39pm

My Fair Lady, of course.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#4Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:42pm

My Fair Lady! If you can’t find tickets for that, then you can always fall back on Wicked or Hello Dolly.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#5Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:44pm

You said you prefer a musical - but you and your daughters have a chance to see Glenda Jackson on stage in Three Tall Women.  There are Wednesday matinees.    

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:44pm

My Fair Lady -- if you can get tickets!   (A great line up - have fun!)

And if they are game for SBSP, lots of people say its a hoot.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#7Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:45pm

Yes, if MFL doesn’t work out, Three Tall Women is easily the next-best option.

VintageSnarker
#8Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/21/18 at 7:23pm

I'm not going to go check what has a Wednesday matinee but...

Waitress (if you consider it age appropriate)
Anastasia (It's not a perfect show but they might be in the right age range to enjoy it if they liked the movie. I would ask.)

Also, I haven't seen it to recommend it, but they're the right age to probably enjoy Mean Girls.

@z5
#9Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/21/18 at 7:47pm

Spongebob is a great time, but also Carousel is very good. Saw it last weekend. Either of those would be great.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#10Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/21/18 at 9:21pm

I have teenage daughters too. Judging by your other show choices and your picture, I would suggest these:

Mean Girls
My Fair Lady
Hello Dolly

Three Tall Women
Yerma at the Park Avenue Armory (no Wed matinee but they have Monday evening performances)
Admissions at Lincoln Center
King Lear at BAM with Antony Sher and the Royal Shakespeare Company (but no Wed matinees)

If the Mint Theatre has a new production in April (I doubt they will have something new that soon) I would recommend that as well.  I love everything they do.  

Or.... ditch your Wed evening show and pay way too much for Harry Potter Cursed Child tickets.  

Updated On: 3/22/18 at 09:21 PM

annang
#11Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/22/18 at 1:31am

Take them to see Bernadette Peters in Hello Dolly. It’s one of the best shows I’ve seen this season. 

HugoP
#12Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/22/18 at 2:39am

I have two daughters beyond high school age (one still in college), and the college girl would tell you WAITRESS....with no hesitation whatsoever.    She adored it, as have all of her friends.   It has some pretty adult stuff in it (some of it gratuitous, and I'm no prude), but certainly milder than what's in store at Sweeney Todd!     WAITRESS has a wonderful score and a story (and characters) that will resonate with your daughters.    If they have any affinity at all for Golden Age musicals, then I'd go for MY FAIR LADY based on what I've been reading.   Sounds like you are planning a wonderful trip for them (I miss those days!)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13Dad & Daughters need one last (must-see?) show
Posted: 3/22/18 at 6:35am

Gratuitous? I know it's been a long time since I've seen waitress, but what the heck is gratuitous in waitress?

But Hello Dolly is red another that should be high on your list.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos