MEAN GIRLS Reviews

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#75MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 3:51pm

I was trying tp make the same point some of you have stated.

The character played by Grey Henson is referred to in the reviews as:

"Cady's gay friend"

"quick-witted gay sidekick"

"the very gay Damien"

brightly flaming Damien"

and 

"almost too gay to exist"

So excuse me if I call him the gay kid, it's obviously the way the character is written and being played and described. Blame the critics and writer and Actor, not me.

MadsonMelo
#76MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 6:16pm

Musical

Book

Score

Leading Actress

Featured Actor

Featured Actress (maybe 2)

Choreography

Costumes

Thats eight nominations, maybe nine if they also goes with Rockwell. There's a chance for noms in Directing, Lighting and Orchestrations, right? 

And I don't see winning any, maybe Choreography.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#77MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/9/18 at 7:00pm

I'd say 6 at the most if they are lucky,

Trish2
DaveyG
#80MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/11/18 at 7:29pm

Lol I have to say I do agree with Rex about the musical, but not the movie. Loved the movie.

Updated On: 4/11/18 at 07:29 PM

StylishCynic
#81MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 12:08pm

Could anyone PM me the audio to DC? I'd love to hear Apex Predator, and I doubt the cast recording will have cut songs on it.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#82MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 12:24pm

Is Rex Reed really clutching those pearls, or is he just trying to impress us? The review was funny at first but turned so willfully obtuse I could not respect it.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

dougs9797
#83MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 1:11pm

Trying to recall the last time Rex Reed was relevant. Have to go back at least as far as the first Bush administration. #41

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#84MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/12/18 at 1:13pm

Shocking - the 79 year old didn't love MEAN GIRLS. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

broadwayboy223
#85MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/13/18 at 1:27pm

I saw this last night and honestly loved it. Some of the songs were eh but I liked most of them and thought the book was funny.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#86MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/15/18 at 10:09am

Caught this last night and was also surprised how much I loved it. I haven’t seen the film so can’t compare but it’s definitely the most FUN I’ve had on Broadway this year. Sure the score is just serviceable, but Casey Nicolaw stages of within an inch of its life- much of the script is laugh out loud hilarious, and the cast is uniformly terrific.

If the producers are smart, they will lobby Taylor as supporting actress, which i think she could actually have a shot of winning.

Definitely way better than I was expecting.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

broadwayboy223
#87MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/15/18 at 12:02pm

QueenAlice said: "Caught this last night and was also surprised how much I loved it. I haven’t seen the film so can’t compare but it’s definitely the most FUN I’ve had on Broadway this year. Sure the score is just serviceable, but Casey Nicolaw stages of within an inch of its life- much of the script is laugh out loud hilarious, and the cast is uniformly terrific.

If the producers are smart, they will lobby Taylor as supporting actress, which i think she could actually have a shot of winning.

Definitely way better than I was expecting.
"

Yes yes yes!! It took me off guard how much I loved it. The only song I didnt really like was Whose House Is This. It just went on and ON. I've actually had a couple melodies stuck in my head. Like the stupid in love chorus and "my name is regina george"

frapp2latte2
#88MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/15/18 at 5:42pm

I saw the show earlier this week and I honestly really quite enjoyed it! The songs weren’t very memorable, like others have said, but I liked the choreography and busy production. The actors did a great job and almost all of them were nice enough to stagedoor after a matinee show. IMO it was a fun, enjoyable show and we had a good time!

dougs9797
kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#90MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/17/18 at 4:24am

Sondheimite said: "We're done with you acting this way. Done. Everyone is ignoring you, they are sick of it."

I'm not sick of it. I don't come here as much as I used to precisely because a fascist sympathizer is the de facto curator.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#91MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/17/18 at 4:25am

Sondheimite said: "We're done with you acting this way. Done. Everyone is ignoring you, they are sick of it."

I'm not sick of it. I don't come here as much as I used to precisely because a fascist sympathizer is the de facto curator.

dramagoer
#92MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/17/18 at 9:04am

The Tina Fey of it all is great. It’s the other stuff.... Like the music...

MrsSallyAdams
#93MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 4/23/18 at 10:21am

I'm not sure how to embed a tweet but Pennsylvania representative Brian Sims made a lovely reference to Mean Girls after Rep. Daryl Metcalfe tweeted that he was a "lying homosexual."
http://www.newnownext.com/daryl-metcalfe-brian-sims-lying-homosexual/04/2018/

MrsSallyAdams
#94MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 5/8/18 at 8:42am

Finally saw the show this weekend. It was fun in the moment but doesn't hold up under scrutiny.  

Cady unseats Regina too easily in act one. Act two shifts focus to Cady's pursuit of the dull jock and her rejection of Janice. The other "mean" girls get nothing to do. I wasn't invested in Cady's arc so the second act just loped along to the finale. It's just not mean enough.

dramagoer
#95MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 5/19/18 at 7:06am

This show really depressed me. The book is often funny, but that score! It's so mediocre! I also find it disappointing that Tina Fey, who I worship, seems to be going way overboard in her quest to grab her Tony. Tina, calm down... you're a big star and you're going to get it! 

broadwaysfguy
#96MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 5/19/18 at 8:35am

i saw it on thursday. a lot of tony voters attending including director jerry mitchell in row in front of me and owner of an equity theatre behind me and a bunch of folks from the trade show this week for booking national tours.
grey henson came out(pun intended) as co narrator and owned every scene he was in. i thought to first fifteen minutes was incredible. then i felt the rest of first act was kinda flat, other than the hilarious tina fey lines that would pop up, and was having hard time caring about cady or other characters and felt the director tried to make up for the mediocre songs with overchoreography. the plastics were well played and presented.
the second act was much stronger, showed more heart and emotional depth and a lot of fun. the songs still did not really pop for me-they did fit the story well and in most cases contributed to plot or character development.

i had a great time overall, and will see it again.
i dont think its a great musical(my recent comparison for a great musical comedy is kinky boots) its a good
and entertaining musical.

i wanted it to be great and i think more character dev in act 1 and a few less songs and stronger songs could have made this great.

my new friend tge theatre owner and tony voter also thought it was good not great and that it would sell well at his theatre.

in most other years i think this gets 3-5 tony noms.
my guess is it deserves wins for book by tina fey and best supporting actor for Grey Henson, but may roll more tonys just because spongebob and frozen are so weak and the bands visit is so subtle....

#97MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 5/19/18 at 4:08pm

The score/recording is just unlistenable. Sorry, not sorry. This is not a musical worthy of broadway whether tina fey wrote it or a popular movie.  This = the death of musical theater

robskynyc
#98MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 5/19/18 at 4:10pm

standingovation79 said: "The score/recording is just unlistenable. Sorry, not sorry. This is not a musical worthy of broadway whether tina fey wrote it or a popular movie. This = the death of musical theater"

who caaaaaaaares. its no groundbreaking musical, but its no margaritaville either. 

let people enjoy it if they enjoy it. no need to rain on their parade. and stop being a drama queen- "death of musical theatre" ::eye roll::

#99MEAN GIRLS Reviews
Posted: 5/19/18 at 4:12pm

it's not enjoyable though. Death was being nice