pixeltracker

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17- Page 5

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#100HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:38pm

DAME said: "haterobics said: "Luscious said: "Almost certain that the show will be filmed.Bringing back Bette is a no-brainer, but the fact that DHP and Creel are also returning to the production bodes well for it being filmed. Hopefully, for a commercial release, but a theatrical release at the very least."

Quite a coup for Charlie Stemp, he gets to join the original cast now, too.
"

Will Beanie come back? Because that new girl did nothing for me.

"

And please let Jennifer Simard come back as Ernestina!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#101HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:39pm

DAME said: "Will Beanie come back? Because that new girl did nothing for me."

Would be interesting if she did, since Stemp took over some of her Dancing moments.

If they were going to film it, though, I'd almost want them to Hamilton it up and get Trensch to switch "casts" for a week.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#102HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:41pm

Luscious said: "Almost certain that the show will be filmed.Bringing back Bette is a no-brainer, but the fact that DHP and Creel are also returning to the production bodes well for it being filmed. Hopefully, for a commercial release, but a theatrical release at the very least."

But what would that do to the tour? They’d have to wait until the tour ended before releasing the filmed production with Bette in any capacity.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#103HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:44pm

Miles2Go2 said: "qolbinau said: "10086sunset said: "So much for all that talk, especially from a few known Bernadette Peters lovers here that the show didn't take a hit when she came aboard.

At the end of the day, this industry comes down to dollars and cents.

"

Well given I am one of the few 'known Bernadette Peters' lovers here I assume this complete misrepresentation of the ideas discussed here is directed to me.

First, as far as I'm aware Bernadette's run is not being cut short. She is scheduled to continue all performances as originally sold. This is not a situation where the show is tanking and they are trying to get Bette to return as quickly as possible to save it (such as bringing Mandy in) - they are simply making a strategic decision for how the show can continue without Bernadette. Don't make it sound like this is a reactionary decision to a tanking show. It's not. Bernadette has proved she is still one of the few Broadway stars that actually can sell tickets.

Second, not one single person claimed the shows grosses didn't reduce once Bernadette came on board. The objective evidence is publicly available. However, we did claim that the show is doing fine with Bernadette given it has almost consistently grossed $1 million per week since she started performances. Assuming the show recouped with Bette, the show is probably in a financially healthy state.

To be sure, Bernadette is completing her run and not being cut short.Also, the show is doing respectable box office, especially for a show that has reportedlyrecouped. And I suppose Bernadette isn’t as expensive as Bette was. I just think that they couldn’t find a suitable successor for Bernadette to extend the show in both a profitable and quality way once Bernadette’s contractcomes to an end.

"

Exactly.

Assuming the show has recouped - I actually don't remember any official announcement about this. If the show hasn't recouped there was some terrible producing involved here. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#104HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:58pm

The delusion is strong in this thread. Liza's Headband was the one who said the show recouped three weeks ago. I said that on DL the rumor was the show wasn't making as much of its investment back as they'd hoped. But the proof is in the pudding. If a show is on solid financial footing it wouldn't announce a closing after less than 18 months. Seriously. It doesn't matter how much money it was making in the box office. Obviously those funds weren';t enough to cover the costs of the investment enough to keep the show running. 

10086sunset
#105HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 4:04pm

poisonivy2 said: "The delusion is strong in this thread. Liza's Headband was the one who said the show recouped three weeks ago. I said that on DL the rumor was the show wasn't making as much of its investment back as they'd hoped. But the proof is in the pudding. If a show is on solid financial footing it wouldn't announce a closing after less than 18 months. Seriously. It doesn't matter how much money it was making in the box office. Obviously those funds weren';t enough to cover the costs of the investment enough to keep the show running."

^ This

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#106HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 4:04pm

poisonivy2 said: "I said that on DL ..."

I never trust people on the DL.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#107HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 4:05pm

Even if the show has recouped it would not make financial sense for the show to remain open without a star because the weekly operating expenses would exceed the revenue. I don't think we can conclude the show hasn't recouped because it's closing - I feel it's slightly dubious because I don't recall them ever saying they recouped though. Still, with the amount of money they brought in with Bette I would be SHOCKED if they didn't recoup before she left. If it didn't, I really would be curious to know what happened to the money. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/20/18 at 04:05 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#108HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 4:45pm

Does anyone know if they actually were ever in serious talks with any stars to replace Peters? Or was this the plan all along? I remember there were rumors around the time that Bette Midler left that she would possibly return, but that obviously doesn't mean that those rumors were true at the time.

DAME, my first question was whether Donna would return as Midler's alternate, but my second was, "is Beanie coming back?" Because I agree with you, that girl did nothing for me either. I *really* missed Beanie.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 4/20/18 at 04:45 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#109HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 6:08pm

Makes sense to me. Close it. Use the sets for the tour. Save some money. Scale it down and send it non-Equity the next year and make $$$.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#110HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 6:09pm

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "Does anyone know if they actually were ever in serious talks with any stars to replace Peters? Or was this the plan all along? I remember there were rumors around the time that Bette Midler left that she would possibly return, but that obviously doesn't mean that those rumors were true at the time."

If we make up enough rumors and speculation, some of it is bound to come true...

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#111HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 6:40pm

poisonivy2 said: "The delusion is strong in this thread. Liza's Headband was the one who said the show recouped three weeks ago. I said that on DL the rumor was the show wasn't making as much of its investment back as they'd hoped. But the proof is in the pudding. If a show is on solid financial footing it wouldn't announce a closing after less than 18 months. Seriously. It doesn't matter how much money it was making in the box office. Obviously those funds weren';t enough to cover the costs of the investment enough to keep the show running."

I wouldn't be calling others out on delusion if I were you.  Datalounge and  Liza's Headband as sources.   HA!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#112HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 6:44pm

haterobics said: "ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "Does anyone know if they actually were ever in serious talks with any stars to replace Peters? Or was this the plan all along? I remember there were rumors around the time that Bette Midler left that she would possibly return, but that obviously doesn't mean that those rumors were true at the time."

Ifwe make up enough rumors and speculation, some of it is bound to come true...
"

Well, for that matter, the show will not close after Midler's return either. They will be "happy to announce the show will go on."

I still don't understand what the weekly nut is. I feel much bigger shows and with bigger casts stay on Broadway longer with vastly lower box office numbers. What makes Dolly without Midler's salary so costly  to run?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Papi2013
#113HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 6:56pm

blaxx said: "haterobics said: "ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "Does anyone know if they actually were ever in serious talks with any stars to replace Peters? Or was this the plan all along? I remember there were rumors around the time that Bette Midler left that she would possibly return, but that obviously doesn't mean that those rumors were true at the time."

Ifwe make up enough rumors and speculation, some of it is bound to come true...
"

Well, for that matter, the show will not close after Midler's return either. They will be "happy to announce the show will go on."

I still don't understand what the weekly nut is. I feel much bigger shows and with bigger casts stay on Broadway longer with vastly lower box office numbers. What makes Dolly without Midler's salary so costlyto run?
"

Your right.  Who says it is?  Maybe they are pulling a Newsies?  A tour and a broadcast deal made , would make a lot more money than the show just continuing. 

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#114HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:14pm

RippedMan said: "Makes sense to me. Close it. Use the sets for the tour. Save some money. Scale it down and send it non-Equity the next year and make $$$."

I feel like non-Equity would take away a lot of the appeal. I know this production is wonderful and Tony-winning, but having an unknown, non-Equity woman as Dolly wouldn't make any money.

natashalost
#115HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:24pm

DottieD'Luscia said: "Bummer. Guess I should put my hopes of a Vanessa Williams and Brian Stokes Mitchell pairing aside."

I thought Vanessa Williams would make a great Dolly too but Brian Stokes Mitchell playing Horace is PERFECT! 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#116HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:25pm

For a bunch of people who spend a lot of time staring at this website, it is astonishing to me how much delusion and naivete is exhibited in this thread. People either don't pay attention, or willfully ignore the facts. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Papi2013
#117HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:33pm

HogansHero said: "For a bunch of people who spend a lot of time staring at this website, it is astonishing to me how much delusion and naivete is exhibited in this thread. People either don't pay attention, or willfully ignore the facts. It would be funny if it weren't so sad."

Oh girl.  You are here and usually worst than most.  

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#118HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:35pm

Elegance101 said: "RippedMan said: "Makes sense to me. Close it. Use the sets for the tour. Save some money. Scale it down and send it non-Equity the next year and make $$$."

I feel like non-Equity would take away a lot of the appeal. I know this production is wonderful and Tony-winning, but having an unknown, non-Equity woman as Dolly wouldn't make any money.
"

I feel confident that at least 90% of the subscribers at my theatre have no idea who Betty Buckley is. And they don't care who is in the cast of any of the shows they buy tickets to. And they certainly don't know what Equity vs non-Equity means.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#119HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:42pm

Eliza2 said: "Elegance101 said: "RippedMan said: "Makes sense to me. Close it. Use the sets for the tour. Save some money. Scale it down and send it non-Equity the next year and make $$$."

"

I feel confident that at least 90% of the subscribers at my theatre have no idea who Betty Buckley is. And they don't care who is in the cast of any of the shows they buy tickets to. And they certainly don't know what Equity vs non-Equity means.
"

They are idiots. 

Evans2
#120HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:42pm

HogansHero said: "For a bunch of people who spend a lot of time staring at this website, it is astonishing to me how much delusion and naivete is exhibited in this thread. People either don't pay attention, or willfully ignore the facts. It would be funny if it weren't so sad."

Hogan, care to be slighty more specific?

10086sunset
#121HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:46pm

At least this will end the painful talk of Peters extending after Mozart in the Jungle's cancellation. 

Papi2013
#122HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 7:48pm

10086sunset said: "At least this will end the painful talk of Peters extending after Mozart in the Jungle's cancellation."

That talk ended more than a week ago. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#123HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 8:59pm

Evans2 said: "Hogan, care to be slighty more specific?"

Sure.

1. The numbers on Peters do not suggest a market for other (lesser) Dollys.

2. Rudin has NEVER given a hint of interest in doing a Weissler/Chicago-style revolving door. In fact, it is quite clear he has sold the show as a star vehicle to an almost unprecedented extent. 

3. Rudin has never evinced an interest in putting stage plays before an audience other than when they show up at the theatre.

Had this nonsense been posted by newbies, I'd understand, but it is coming from people who ought to know better.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#124HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:09pm

Eliza2 said: “I feel confident that at least 90% of the subscribers at my theatre have no idea who Betty Buckley is. And they don't care who is in the cast of any of the shows they buy tickets to. And they certainly don't know what Equity vs non-Equity means."

SmokeyLady said: “They are idiots.”

I’ve got people who work in my office who have never heard of Bernadette Peters. I asked one of my co-workers today if they’d ever heard of the show “Hello, Dolly!” and they seriously answered/asked if it was about Dolly Parton.

And I personally had never heard of Betty Buckley before the tour was announced. 

A good chunk of America truly enjoy the quality, official Broadway National Tours that come through their towns. And yes, the ones that aren’t official or are non-Equity, well, maybe they don’t know the difference or what that means. I do, but only since I became a regular here. 

Americans who do subscribe to see these Broadway National Tours, as if it were almost an afterthought, trust absolutely the producers of the shows to put in experienced actors and actresses to give standout performances. It’s not that they don’t care who’s in the cast. Maybe the ticket holders don’t know who the performers are by name. It’s that they, we, are paying to see a high quality show, a Broadway National Tour, and expect, hope, and dream to be entertained by something amazing. It’s one night to escape. We want to walk away knowing we’ve accomplished that. 

However, none of this makes us, them, or me, idiots. We just haven’t spent our lives, or a significant part of our life, devoted to Broadway entertainment. I’ve only been watching shows for 27 months. I’m a beginner compared to many of you seasoned veterans. When I saw “The King and I” I had never heard of Laura Michelle Kelly. I know who she is now. Same for many of the other 18 shows I’ve seen, however I’ve tried to educate myself beforehand now with asking questions here. 

But to call any of us idiots is unfair. 

Updated On: 4/20/18 at 09:09 PM