pixeltracker

Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom

Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom

Sanya
#1Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:16pm

Hi! I am going to New York for the first time later this year and was hoping to get some recommendations on where to sit for certain shows.

I plan on seeing Frozen and Mean Girls and was wondering if it was better to sit in the orchestra or mezzanine. I would like to see the whole stage so I don’t miss any of the action and was wondering if the mezzanine would be better. But I’m conflicted bc I also want to be close to the stage. Since prices seem to be similar between the two levels I’m not concerned with price.

I also plan on seeing Phantom of the Opera and wanted to know if the cheaper seats had a good view.

Thanks for any replies!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:19pm

Mezzanine is going to be your best bet for a nice full view of the stage at all three shows.

Frozen - The St. James has a great mezzanine. Anywhere in the front or mid-mezzo offers a great view

Mean Girls - Anywhere in the mezz is fine - I sat rear mezz off to the side, and the view was great

Phantom - Front Mezz or the first half of the rear mezz offer great views

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Sanya
#3Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:21pm

Thank you so much!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#4Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/20/18 at 9:49pm

Since this is your first trip to NYC, I think you should sit in the orchestra for at least one of these shows. The further back in the mezzanine you go, the harder it is to see facial expressions. At PHANTOM, for instance, the rear mezzanine does offer a great view of the entire stage, but, even in the first row, you won't be seeing faces unless you bring binoculars. For most shows, the mezzanine is my personal preference, but I wouldn't recommend it for every show. If you can get the front row, that's great, but, even then, the railing at some theatres is a pain to see over. I sat in the front row of the mezzanine for FROZEN and I thought it was fine, but I couldn't help thinking that I would've enjoyed the show more from the orchestra.

Updated On: 4/20/18 at 09:49 PM

KathyNYC2
#5Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/21/18 at 10:50am

While I agree it would be fun to have an orchestra experience, I would also agree with the earlier comment that said  Frozen should be seen from the front mezz. You get a better view of some of the animated projections used that are seen on the stage floor

Updated On: 4/21/18 at 10:50 AM

stlrod
#6Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/21/18 at 11:15am

You can get good seats at Mean Girls A13 and A15 in the Mezzanine for about $40 less on weekday performances.

Updated On: 4/21/18 at 11:15 AM

frapp2latte
#7Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/23/18 at 3:36am

For Mean Girls the tickets we bought were regular price but they're cheaper on Wednesday matinees so we decided to spring for Orchestra Row G center seats. Great decision because we had an amazing view of the show! I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed it as much had I gotten seats farther back. We didn't miss a single thing on stage and at the same time got to see every facial expression on the actors' faces.

We also watched Anastasia on the same NYC trip and got 3rd row matinee seats. We got a good view of the stage but I sort of wish I had gotten Orchestra seats instead as I like seeing the actors' faces clearly. I think it depends on your preference really, but I prefer orchestra. 

Updated On: 4/23/18 at 03:36 AM

pac2015
#8Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/23/18 at 6:12am

Hi, I saw Frozen from rear mezzanine row M, middle of the right section. I thought the view was great for a rear mezz seat.  st james appeared to be a pretty open theatre in terms of the overhang from the level above.  hope this helps

#9Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/23/18 at 9:09pm

Best seats to see "Frozen" is on your couch watching the superior movie- where you save $100 and don't have to wear pants. 

lightguy06222
#10Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/23/18 at 11:39pm

I recommend sitting in the audience!  you'll love them all

ampi2 Profile Photo
ampi2
#11Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/24/18 at 8:23am

how’s rear mezzanine for mean girls? i’m thinking about getting a second to last row ticket

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#12Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:04am

Sanya said: "I also plan on seeing Phantom of the Opera and wanted to know if the cheaper seats had a good view."

I've seen Phantom countless times and I do not recommend upstairs seating. IMHO, it feels very removed and you miss the myriad visual details that help make this show so special.

I highly recommend orchestra seating, which is good back to about row M (if you go further back, the mezzanine overhang will impede your view). Also, try to avoid the last few seats on the far sides, especially in the rows closest to the stage, as the view is very skewed. The first two or three rows of center orchestra are often sold at relatively bargain prices (behind them is all premium seating) and they offer a highly immersive experience.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

TorontoBroadwayFan
#13Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:36am

CT2NYC said: "Since this is your first trip to NYC, I think you should sit in the orchestra for at least one of these shows. The further back in the mezzanine you go, the harder it is to see facial expressions. At PHANTOM,for instance, the rear mezzanine does offer a great view of the entire stage, but, even in the first row, you won't be seeing faces unless you bring binoculars. For most shows, the mezzanine is my personal preference, but I wouldn't recommend it for every show. If you can get the front row, that's great, but, even then, the railing at some theatres is a pain to see over. I sat in the front row of the mezzanine for FROZEN and I thought it was fine, but I couldn't help thinking that I would've enjoyed the show more from the orchestra."

Good to know re: frozen. I will be sitting in Orch C9 this Friday and will report back on how the view was. I also had a seat in mezz row A seat 12 but returned it cause I wanted to be close up. Not sure if it was the right decision.

For Mean Girls on Saturday I'm in orchestra L on the sides.

For Phantom, I won lottery seats and sat front row centre -amazing view of the actors faces but for some appreciation of the staging a bit further back would be recommended. I also saw Phantom last year from rear mezz and towards the back I definitely found it hard to see the actors faces. When the Phantom's mask comes off, I couldn't even see that he was disfigured. Luckily I was there for an emtpy Thursday matinee and was able to move up at intermisson.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#14Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:42am

TorontoBroadwayFan said: "CT2NYC said: "Since this is your first trip to NYC, I think you should sit in the orchestra for at least one of these shows. The further back in the mezzanine you go, the harder it is to see facial expressions. At PHANTOM,for instance, the rear mezzanine does offer a great view of the entire stage, but, even in the first row, you won't be seeing faces unless you bring binoculars. For most shows, the mezzanine is my personal preference, but I wouldn't recommend it for every show. If you can get the front row, that's great, but, even then, the railing at some theatres is a pain to see over. I sat in the front row of the mezzanine for FROZEN and I thought it was fine, but I couldn't help thinking that I would've enjoyed the show more from the orchestra."

Good to know re: frozen. I will be sitting in Orch C9 this Friday and will report back on how the view was. I also had a seat in mezz row A seat 12 but returned it cause I wanted to be close up. Not sure if it was the right decision.

You made the right choice. I sat in mezzanine A 14, and I wasn't as thrilled as I usually am with a front-row mezzanine seat. The bar along the front is obstrusive, and there's an extension on the front of the mezzanine that covers the lighting rig, which is hard to see over. Even with a seat cushion, it wasn't an ideal view. 

Updated On: 4/26/18 at 09:42 AM

TorontoBroadwayFan
#15Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:51am

CT2NYC said: "TorontoBroadwayFan said: "CT2NYC said: "Since this is your first trip to NYC, I think you should sit in the orchestra for at least one of these shows. The further back in the mezzanine you go, the harder it is to see facial expressions. At PHANTOM,for instance, the rear mezzanine does offer a great view of the entire stage, but, even in the first row, you won't be seeing faces unless you bring binoculars. For most shows, the mezzanine is my personal preference, but I wouldn't recommend it for every show. If you can get the front row, that's great, but, even then, the railing at some theatres is a pain to see over. I sat in the front row of the mezzanine for FROZEN and I thought it was fine, but I couldn't help thinking that I would've enjoyed the show more from the orchestra."

You made the right choice. I sat in mezzanine A 14, and I wasn't as thrilled as I usually am with a front-row mezzanine seat. The bar along the front is obstrusive, and there's an extension on the frontof the mezzanine that covers the lighting rig, which is hard to see over.Even with a seat cushion, it wasn't an ideal view.

"

Super, thanks! I hate the rails in the front row of many theatres Mezz sections and I’m not very tall. Good i followed my instincts. My seat is only one or two over from the obstructed view seats but it was sold as full view. I will see tomorrow and report back.

KelseyRaylin
#16Where to sit at Frozen, Mean Girls and Phantom
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:53am

If this makes you feel any better, I just saw mean girls last week and sat in the very top back row in the mezz. I still thought it was good seating. Because of this shows choreography, you can really see and appreciate overall effects and dynamics up there. All I'm saying is that there are no bad seats in that theater for that particular show! Enjoy!! :) 

Videos