CURSED CHILD Reviews

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#25CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 7:29pm

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

BroadwayConcierge said: "The script is really not as bad as somesay. Sure, there are a few eye-rolling lines here and there, and Part 2 gets to be slightly derivative in parts, but the text is overall quite strong. I was truly emotionally overwhelmed by the climax of Part 2, and only strong playwriting can make me feel that way. Of course, theproduction itself is what really delivers, but I'm always a bit irked when people say that the script is so much inferior. It's really not."

I’m curious to hear yours (and everyone else’s) opinions on the revelation that 

Delphi is Voldemort’s daughter with Bellatrix. Perhaps unjustifiably, it gave the whole script a very fan-fictiony vibe to me...but I can understand how others could see it differently  

Granted, it had been at least a year since I’ve read CC, so maybe it has more significance than I remember. 

Notreallysilent 2
#26CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 7:36pm

There are parts that are pretty fan fictiony (if that’s a word) but I think the story works much better on stage. Though there are some cringe worthy parts that are hard to dismiss but the cringey parts are just very tiny jokes put in the show. Also this show keeps on astonishing me. The place they had their in between parts supper looked exactly like the hogwarts dining hall. They really think of every detail wow. But I wonder did the lottery winners get access to the supper?

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#27CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 7:47pm

Corky, I’ve never thought about it in those terms but you’re so right. Fan Fic is a good description.

CorkySt.Clair said: "

BroadwayConcierge said: "The script is really not as bad as somesay. Sure, there are a few eye-rolling lines here and there, and Part 2 gets to be slightly derivative in parts, but the text is overall quite strong. I was truly emotionally overwhelmed by the climax of Part 2, and only strong playwriting can make me feel that way. Of course, theproduction itself is what really delivers, but I'm always a bit irked when people say that the script is so much inferior. It's really not."

I’m curious to hear yours (and everyone else’s) opinions on the revelation that

Delphi is Voldemort’s daughter with Bellatrix. Perhaps unjustifiably, it gave the whole script a very fan-fictiony vibe to me...but I can understand how others could see it differently

Granted, it had been at least a year since I’ve read CC, so maybe it has more significance than I remember."

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#29CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:07pm

Jarethan said: "HAs there EVER been a show that seemed quite so 'critic-proof' as this one?"

Any solid show with good word of mouth is critic-proof.

Musicalslover
#30CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:09pm

imeldasturn said: "everythingtaboo said: "People seem to like the play, but the script itself seems to be the least favorite thing about it. Will reviews (and Tony voters) overlook that because everything else is great around it?"

I mean, if they gave the Tony to War Horse...
"

It was so brilliant though 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#31CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:11pm

Will be interesting how the reviewers will balance reviewing the show with keeping its secrets, especially given that the first review out of the gate mentions something that I think was avoided by most (all?) in the previews thread. I specifically avoided the thread once I sorted tix, so can't say if that remained the case.

Musicalslover
#32CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:11pm

This show does not need critics at all. It did not need the Olivers it got. The fact its got both . Means prices will remain high. NYT has already reviewed the London Production 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#33CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:14pm

Musicalslover said: "This show does not need critics at all. It did not need the Olivers it got. The fact its got both . Means prices will remain high. NYT has already reviewed the London Production"

Skipping over the most important bit, which is that the show is very entertaining and delivers what people want from it... I think the Scorpius Malfoy track really was the best part of it, which was not in the books at all (unless he was in the epilogue of the last one?)/

Notreallysilent 2
#34CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:18pm

haterobics said: "Musicalslover said: "This show does not need critics at all. It did not need the Olivers it got. The fact its got both . Means prices will remain high. NYT has already reviewed the London Production"

Skipping over the most important bit, which is that the show is very entertaining and delivers what people want from it... I think the Scorpius Malfoy track really was the best part of it, which was not in the books at all (unless he was in the epilogue of the last one?)/
"

I completely agree. Anthony is so good in the role and every time I see him there is a new detail in his character that I notice and fall in love with. Besides Anthony being phenomenal, the character itself I feel is the best in the show. I will definitely be rooting for Anthony on tony nomination day. 

Another thing you have to consider I think is that this is a complete new story that you can only see on stage. Yeah there is a script but there is something different of reading a script than actually see the magic happening on stage. I’m sure there are a handful of people that wouldn’t want to see a frozen on broadway or mean girls on broadway since they already saw the movie and already know the story. Here, the show is completely new and exclusive to the theater. That will definitely get more people to want to see the shows even without critics. Though, I’m expecting some pretty good reviews tonight

Updated On: 4/22/18 at 08:18 PM

Impossible2
#35CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:19pm

I've not read any of the books but I have seen all the films. TBH I couldn't tell you a single thing that happened in any of them, they just kinda washed over me, but I absolutely loved this play. 

I thought P1 was much stronger than P2 and that they kinda 'shot early' with P1 having all the best bits, but I still thought it was great. My excitement at the end of P1 was palpable!

I didn't really have a problem with the script, I thought it was fine for what it was and it was actually quite moving in parts. My only gripe would be that there is a bit too much story in one play and that there are a few too many cliffhangers/reveals, but that was the only thing that kinda bugged me.

There was only one revelation I didn't really understand that seemed to get a big sigh from the audience, but I can live with that as it wasn't integral for me to enjoy the rest of the play.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#36CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:24pm

Sheesh, amNY has a pretty big spoiler, eh?

BroadwayConcierge
#37CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:48pm

Variety is positive: "shows us the true magic of great storytelling"

http://variety.com/2018/legit/reviews/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-review-broadway-1202757827/

Updated On: 4/22/18 at 08:48 PM

BroadwayConcierge
#38CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:50pm

Hollywood Reporter is extremely plot-y, but positive: calls it "thrilling," "pulse-pounding," and emotionally rich. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/harry-potter-cursed-child-theater-review-1104812

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#39CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:50pm

I really want to know who the dumbass "Top Broadway Designer" is who asked "Can somebody tell me what the hell is going on?" at the performance Robert Holfer of The Wrap attended. More below:

The Wrap's eye roll inducing review: 

https://www.thewrap.com/harry-potter-cursed-child-broadway-review-rowling-john-thorne/

BroadwayConcierge
#40CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:52pm

VotePeron, I started writing out that The Wrap posted their review, but stopped and deleted it because it's so dumb and poorly written that it's not worth our time.

Edit: Perhaps the most asinine part of the article is saying that the show is for "advanced students who know every character, previous plot twist and the difference between Death Eaters, Muggles, Aurors and Dementors, among many other magical creatures."

Three of the people in my group were completely unfamiliar with the world of Harry Potter and followed the entire thing. The Wrap needs to pull itself together because they're just wrong.

Updated On: 4/22/18 at 08:52 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#41CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:53pm

^ As always BroadwayConcierge, I couldn't agree more with you. I only felt compelled to post it to call out the Designer who would be so unprofessional to ask such a thing at a press performance they were probably attending for free.

BroadwayConcierge
#42CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 8:55pm

Chicago Tribune is positive, calling on readers to "head to the theater" and calling the show itself "theatrically remarkable."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/broadway/sc-ent-harry-potter-broadway-review-0422-story.html 

BroadwayConcierge
#43CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:03pm

EW.com is positive, giving it an A grade and calling it a "theatrical marvel," "conjuring the impossible on Broadway."

http://ew.com/theater/2018/04/22/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-broadway-review/

BroadwayConcierge
#44CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:07pm

NY Daily News is positive, saying they're "wild about" it and the show "gleams like a bolt of lightning," leaving "vivid memories in your mind."

http://beta.nydailynews.com/entertainment/theater-arts/cursed-child-review-wildly-harry-potter-broadway-article-1.3944034

BroadwayConcierge
#45CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:24pm

Deadline is positive: "a marvel, a shape-shifting play that effortlessly incorporates music and choreographed movement, classic storytelling and fresh perspectives." 

http://deadline.com/2018/04/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-broadway-review-j-k-rowling-jack-thorne-1202367117/

perfectliar
#46CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:26pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "VotePeron, I started writing out that The Wrap posted their review, but stopped and deleted it because it's so dumb and poorly written that it's not worth our time."

You don't like what the review has to say, so it's not worth anyone else's time? FFS.

BroadwayConcierge
#47CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:28pm

perfectliar said: "You don't like what the review has to say, so it's not worth anyone else's time? FFS."

Have you read it? It hardly says anything beyond being condescending and pointlessly contrarian. No substance.

BroadwayConcierge
#48CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:29pm

NJ.com is positive: it's "just about the coolest thing ever."

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/04/harry_potter_cursed_child_broadway_review.html

stlrod
#49CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:33pm

“Cursed Child never feels like a theme park attraction.” Deadline. Wonder if that’s a reference to another show?

Videos