pixeltracker

What should the next Encores! musical be?

What should the next Encores! musical be?

sco676767
#1What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 6:51pm

Are they running out of shows? I'm not how old the shows have to be..

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#2What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 6:54pm

I would love for them to do:

The Color Purple (I know we just had a revival, but I love the show)

In The Heights (Then a Broadway transfer)

A Chorus Line

Evita (with Gaga or Ana Villafane)

wonkit
#3What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 6:57pm

Kean

somecheapfrenchthing
#4What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 7:16pm

I don’t think it’s about how old they are. But Encores! only does American musicals.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#5What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 7:20pm

Jessetenny said: "I would love for them to do:

A Chorus Line

"

This whole post made me cackle.

tsondie21 Profile Photo
tsondie21
#6What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 7:24pm

Parade. The answer is always Parade.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#7What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 7:26pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Jessetenny said: "I would love for them to do:

A Chorus Line

"

This whole post made me cackle.

"

Is there a reason for that?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 7:41pm

tsondie21 said: "Parade. The answer is always Parade."

What a mood

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#9What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 7:47pm

They actually are currently doing Me and My Girl, which is the first show they have done that premiered in the UK. So maybe they're getting lax on the whole American musicals thing?

Also, they don't necessarily do "old" musicals, they do underperformed ones. Ones that you can't see just any regional theatre putting on at any point, ones that deserve better, if that make sense. That's how I interpret it, anyway. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#10What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 7:48pm

Boycott anything Ana Villafañe. Girl is a clueless stoopid idiot. Trust me. After her ridiculous backstab to the Latin community (which she’s fully aware that she p*ucked up), she’s soured me.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#11What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 7:59pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Boycott anything Ana Villafañe. Girl is a clueless stoopid idiot. Trust me. After her ridiculous backstab to the Latin community (which she’s fully aware that she p*ucked up), she’s soured me."

I must have missed something.. What did she do?

broadwayboy223
#12What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:01pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Boycott anything Ana Villafañe. Girl is a clueless stoopid idiot. Trust me. After her ridiculous backstab to the Latin community (which she’s fully aware that she p*ucked up), she’s soured me."

This! Absolutely agree. And Lady Gaga can totally play Evita if Patti LuPone can. 

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#13What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:03pm

NEW GIRL IN TOWN with Katrina Lenk is the new Encores! dream show I'm going to start campaigning for. 

Despite some very charming songs and great opportunities for a talented choreographer, it's not a very good show, and therefore PERFECT for Encores!. And I think Lenk is special enough to tackle a role the very special Gwen Verdon originated. 

Musicalslover
#14What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:03pm

did they do cradle will rock 

Musicalslover
#15What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:05pm

b4 you defame someone . Please provide sources and links .Instead of sitting with a username and just doing it for fun. Actually show proof

wonkit
#16What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:08pm

The summer Encores! did Cradle Will Rock three or four years ago. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#17What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:23pm

Ana did backstab the Latin community with her (now deleted) tweet about how Sierra B can "find her inner Puerto Rican." Lol.

I wonder if Herman would finally let Encores! do Mame or Mack & Mabel.

Also, Allegro.

And Kiss of the Spiderwoman.

JAS Profile Photo
JAS
#18What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:36pm

GeorgeandDot said: “I wonder if Herman would finally let Encores! do Mame or Mack & Mabel.

Also, Allegro.”

After the brilliant showing of Mack and Mabel at this year’s Encores! concert, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it at Encores! at some point.

Allegro was done during the first Encores! season.

Fetus Profile Photo
Fetus
#19What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:40pm

Doubt it'll happen but I've always wanted to see Henry, Sweet Henry staged. The score is pretty solid, but I've heard the book is terrible.

broadwayboy223
#20What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:41pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Ana did backstab the Latin community with her (now deleted) tweet about how Sierra B can "find her inner Puerto Rican." Lol.

Also, Allegro.

"

She said and I quote "Live your Puerto Rican dreams girl!!!"

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#21What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:42pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Ana did backstab the Latin community with her (now deleted) tweet about how Sierra B can "find her inner Puerto Rican." Lol.

Also, Allegro.

"

How is her supporting her fellow performer backstabbing the Latin community? She was being supportive, not jumping on the "Oh she's not Puerto Rican" train. I had no problem with Sierra playing Maria as it is a CONCERT version.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#22What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:45pm

Kiss of the Spiderwoman.  It’s time.

Get an insane cast, make it a gala performance like Sunday was, and have it magically transfer to Broadway.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#23What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:48pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Instead of supporting representation of her own community, she supported a white girl stealing a role from what could have been a great moment for a young latin actress, who have a ridiculously hard time finding work anyway. That's backstabbing her own community, but let's not steer this thread in the wrong direction, especially when you don't have a ***** clue what you're talking about."

Nice to jump the gun on someone you don't know, saying that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Cool. I was stating my opinion, you were stating yours. We're both (I'm assuming) adults, get over it. Not everyone's opinion has to match yours.

I still say Evita should be done with Ana.

Updated On: 4/29/18 at 08:48 PM

Jarethan
#24What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:50pm

-- Darling of the Day: Jules Styne and E. Y. Harburg

-- Drat!  The Cat!  It may have run 8 performances, but it has a mostly terrific score

-- Over Here: just loved that show and don't see it getting a big revival unless it was a huge success at Encores

-- I Love My Wife: Dated book, but a fine Cy Coleman score

-- Bells are Ringing: Cut two songs (The Midas Touch and I seem to recall that there is a beatnik number)  and you have an absolutely Tier 1 score

-- The Happy Time: I saw a great 'unbloated' production in Virginia bout 7 - m8 years ago and it was terrific.  The score got lost in the overstating go the original production

-- The Grand Tour...a thoroughly enjoyable Jerry Herman score

Fetus Profile Photo
Fetus
#25What should the next Encores! musical be?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:50pm

Disappointed to hear about Ana, she's got a lovely voice. Did she at least apologize?