pixeltracker

Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread- Page 19

Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread

Broadwayfanboy44
#450Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/21/19 at 6:25pm

I definitely think SJB has a chance of winning her long overdue tony this year. 

Having seen the Cher Show, I think the show could be nominated for: 

- Best Costumes (Strong Contender to win in my opinion) 

-Besting lighting design

-Jarrod Spector (Best leading actor) 

-Micaela Diamond and Teal Wicks (both are strong contenders for best featured actress, but if only one is chosen, I think Micaela Diamond would be the one who will be nominated) 

-Stephanie J. Block (Best Leading Actress) 

-Michael Berresse (Featured actor) 

-Best Musical? (Can go either way with this category, depending on how the rest of the musicals yet to open fair) 

natashalost
#451Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/21/19 at 6:39pm

I might be biased but I truly believe Choir Boy will be nominated for Best Play and Best Actor (Jeremy Pope). Don’t count them out just yet!

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#452Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/21/19 at 6:45pm

Broadwayfanboy44 said: "Having seen the Cher Show, I think the show could be nominated for:

-Jarrod Spector (Best leading actor)
-Michael Berresse (Featured actor)
"

Someone can correct me but wasn't Cher Show already talked about with the eligibility and wasn't SJB deemed the ONLY leading in the show? Aka Spector will be going into featured actor?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#453Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/21/19 at 10:17pm

Best Musical

Tootsie

Hadestown

The Prom

Ain't Too Proud

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BdwyFan
#454Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/21/19 at 10:20pm

Yup!

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#455Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/21/19 at 10:43pm

In which Riedel predicts that THE PROM could win Best Musical.

(Everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's better than him trashing on the show!)

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#456Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 8:44am

Given his track record, a Tony Win prediction from Michael Riedel Pretty much guarantees that it WON’T win

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#457Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 8:47am

Robbie2 said: "Best Musical

Tootsie

Hadestown

The Prom

Ain't Too Proud
"

Not sure who the winner will be yet,  but id be shocked if the nominees are not these 4 shows. 

Rogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
#458Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 9:05am

After years of trashing movie musicals and jukebox, if the voters don’t chose hadestown or the prom I’ll be upset. Especially considering those who said “I voted The Bands Visit as a protest vote” last year. Not trying to say TBV, tootsie or Ain’t Too Proud aren’t good or deserving of nominations but really? 

Mike Barrett
#459Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 9:14am

Rogerdellibovi said: "After years of trashing movie musicals and jukebox, if the voters don’t chose hadestown or the prom I’ll be upset. Especially considering those who said “I voted The Bands Visit as a protest vote” last year. Not trying to say TBV, tootsie or Ain’t Too Proud aren’t good or deserving of nominations but really?"

I get your argument but wasn't there a movie for The Bands Visit before the musical? Sure, maybe not as popular as Mean Girls or Frozen but its the same principle of basing it off something beforehand instead of being truly original which I believe The Prom and Hadestown are. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#460Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 9:26am

@Mike Barrett

I see what you’re saying, but I don’t agree that’s it’s the same principal. Shows like Mean Girls and Frozen are deliberately and successfully capitalizing on the recognition factor. Shows like The Band’s Visit are not.

Also:
And The Prom is “original” in the same way Gettin’ The Band Back Together is “original.” There’s a difference between being original, and not having source material.

For example, you just called Hadestown completely original even though it’s based on a Greek Myth. But it’s artistically original, which I think it’s THAT quality that people want more of. Not that we necessarily need more shows that have no source material.

Mike Barrett
#461Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 9:35am

JBroadway said: "@Mike Barrett

I see what you’re saying, but I don’t agree that’s it’s the same principal. Shows like Mean Girls and Frozen are deliberately and successfully capitalizing on the recognition factor. Shows like The Band’s Visit are not.

Also:
And The Prom is “original” in the same way Gettin’ The Band Back Together is “original.” There’s a difference between being original, and not having source material.

For example, you just called Hadestown completely original even though it’s based on a Greek Myth. But it’s artistically original, which I think it’s THAT quality that people want more of. Not that we necessarily need more shows that have no source material.
"

Artistically original is a great point. That is more of what I was getting at. It more seemed like last year they were awarding based on having no source material before, but looking for more original artistry is exactly what I was trying to say. 

Rogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
#462Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 10:21am

Yup, that’s what I meant. Almost every musical is based on something, to me it depends if the work is recognizable by name to the average person. Like mean girls, spongebob and frozen are obviously not original stories. On the other hand, most Americans hadn’t seen or heard of the bands visit, or the real life events that inspired the prom or come from away. I usually enjoy musicals based on well known films, I just think the American theater wing has been against them so long it would be hypocritical to suddenly support them. On the other hand, not all the voters vote the same and I’m guessing some did vote for mean girls or something other than the bands visit last year so *shrugs*

SomethingPeculiar
#463Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 11:32am

I never quite got the whole "source material vs no source material" argument...a good show is a good show. Adapted shows like West Side, Hello Dolly, Les Mis, Fun Home, and Hairspray can coexist in a world with Dear Evan Hansen, Book of Mormon, Rent, Follies, and Company. (You can argue that some titles have more artistic merits than others, but that's a separate conversation.)

Theatrefanboy1
#464Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 11:36am

My hope is for hadestown to win big (the only reason I would hope it doesn’t it that I want to see it again when I return in the fall and would prefer to do so without the hype, inflated ticket prices and limitations for tickets).

Jarrod Spector best actor (of course tootsie will be nominated )
Stephanie j block best actress
Best writing awards to hadestown (the prom will be nominated)
The ferryman wins (mockingbird is nominated)
Jeff Daniels  best actor
Oklahoma best revival (kiss me Kate nominated)
Costume design Cher show
Scenic design hadestown
Direction hadestown

Updated On: 3/23/19 at 11:36 AM

drewmangroup Profile Photo
drewmangroup
#465Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 12:23pm

Love The Cher Show, but I see Jarrod as featured. Plus, he could win there because he’s great. Saw Tootsie in Chicago and while I was lukewarm on the show as a whole, Santino Fontana is fantastic and is certainly award-worthy there.

SomethingPeculiar
#466Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 12:26pm

Jarrod is Featured. Stephanie J. is the only Lead in The Cher Show.

However, your typo makes me want to see Jeff Bridges as The Dude as Atticus Finch.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#467Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 1:25pm

JBroadway said: "Given his track record, a Tony Win prediction from Michael Riedel Pretty much guarantees that it WON’T win"

This was my favorite Riedel prediction:

"Anastasia musical might give Hamilton a run for its money"

https://nypost.com/2015/06/16/anastasia-musical-might-give-hamilton-a-run-for-its-money/

MollyJeanneMusic
#468Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 3:11pm

He wasn't even in the right season!  Come on, Riedel!

By the way, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but does anyone think the Hadestown snub at the Oliviers will make a difference for it come Tony time?  Or were there other reasons behind the snub?

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#469Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 3:20pm

I think Block will be the only nomination for The Cher Show (aside from costumes and maybe something like lighting or sound design). Though I did think Michaela Diamond was particularly great and wouldn't argue with her getting recognized.

In general, critical and audience reactions to the show have been pretty lukewarm... it's a bit of a headscratcher for me that it keeps coming up so much in this thread. (Personally I will be pretty shocked if Jarrod Spector is nominated, especially with the strength of the supporting men in both Hadestown and Tootsie, not to mention Oklahoma, The Prom, and the generally-better-reviewed Ain't Too Proud.) I would even go out on a crazy limb and say that Block isn't a 100% guaranteed nomination, even though everyone here seems to think she's a shoo-in to win. I mean, I love her as much as the next person, and totally think she's a talented woman who's overdue for a Tony, but that doesn't mean I think she should automatically get the win for this role which for me was just... on the good side of fine, through no fault of her own. 

JSquared2
#470Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 3:24pm

MollyJeanneMusic said: By the way, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but does anyone think the Hadestown snub at the Oliviers will make a difference for it come Tony time? Or were there other reasons behind the snub?"

In what way was it "snubbed"?  Not being nominated does not equal a snub -- it means there were X number of shows that the nominators preferred.  And no, the Oliviers have no effect on the Tonys (and vice versa).

MollyJeanneMusic
#471Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 3:30pm

Sorry about the word choice.  I just remembered that it hadn't gotten any nominations, and I wondered if that would dull the show's momentum or not.  While I haven't listened to the entire show yet, I have listened to a few songs, and I love what I've heard and hope the show does well.  I just wanted to see a different perspective, since I hadn't seen anyone mention that, to put it your way, the nominators didn't "prefer" Hadestown.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

MadsonMelo
#472Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 6:23pm

People are throwing SJB because she's the clear choice for this award: a veteran that was raved even in reviews that didn't love the show (that was NOT panned) in a clear weak year.

O'Hara won't win a second award for this role and nor will Leavel. 

Who else can win? Even by default, I believe it's Block's time to win.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#473Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 7:01pm

Now it’s my turn to say “sorry if this has already been discussed,” (this thread is just so long, and it’s not even the only thread!) but what are we thinking about the last few slots for Featured Actress in a musical? It doesn’t seem to be a particularly crowded category. We obviously have Amber Grey and Mary Testa. I’ve heard people mention Lily Cooper in Tootsie too. I haven’t read any of the threads on Beatlejuice, but personally I’m very excited to see Leslie Kritzer as Delia, and I can imagine that performance being a contender just on paper. But it feels like the other slot(s) are kind of a crapshoot. Ali Stroker? Bonnie Milligan? Stephanie Styles? Cher 2 or Cher 3? What do we think?

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#474Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/22/19 at 7:04pm

Based solely on buzz (haven't seen Tootsie), I would put Sarah Stiles into the running.