pixeltracker

Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread- Page 22

Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread

jbp1232 Profile Photo
jbp1232
#525Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/29/19 at 1:22pm

I agree that it would be great to see an actor in a wheelchair take the award. That kind of acknowledgment, especially in a classic role that's in no way about being disabled, could be a game changer for actors with disabilities, from professional to amateur productions. 

Ali Stroker also has the benefit of getting raves from people who love *and* hate this revival. Everyone seated around me hated this production and some left at intermission, but I only heard positive things about Stroker. Mary Testa on the other hand came off to me and others as detached and uninspired.  

Updated On: 3/29/19 at 01:22 PM

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#526Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/29/19 at 4:29pm

If Stocker AND Testa are nominated, they could split enough to make it a sure win for Grey. However, if only Stocker is nominated, it could go to either of them. I still think that Grey has the slight edge but as someone else said above, if a voter ends up not liking Oklahoma, but see Stocker as being the standout performance in a show they hated, it could cause her to rise above a good performance among other good performances in a good show to them.

all_that_jazz Profile Photo
all_that_jazz
#527Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/29/19 at 4:51pm

jbp1232 said: "I agree that it would be great to see an actor in a wheelchair take the award. That kind of acknowledgment, especially in a classic role that's in no way about being disabled, could be a game changer for actors with disabilities,from professional to amateur productions.

The fact shes in a wheelchair should in no way come into play for the award.  How can everyone be saying a disabled actor should be treated the same but then everyone says ..oh she should win because of the wheelchair.  Its performance that's it.  I beleive if we are treating people the same and with equality then discussion of the chair is irellevant.

jbp1232 Profile Photo
jbp1232
#528Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/29/19 at 5:08pm

all_that_jazz said: "jbp1232 said: "I agree that it would be great to see an actor in a wheelchair take the award. That kind of acknowledgment, especially in a classic role that's in no way about being disabled, could be a game changer for actors with disabilities,from professional to amateur productions.

The fact shes in a wheelchair should in no way come into play for the award. How can everyone be saying a disabled actor should be treated the same but then everyone says ..oh she should win because of the wheelchair. Its performance that's it. I beleive if we are treating people the same and with equality then discussion of the chair is irellevant.
"

I don't think you read my comment that you quoted. I said "it would be great to see an actor in a wheelchair take the award", not "I think Stroker should win the Tony because she's in a wheelchair". I think Stroker is giving a tremendous Tony-worthy performance and if they voters decide that she's giving the best performance, then this has an added bonus of giving representation and recognition to artists with disabilities. Representation matters and this has the possibility to inspire artists and non-artists with disabilities and encourage people without disabilities to consider actors with disabilities for roles they may have otherwise not considered them.

Also we can acknowledge and talk about differences without reverting to a one dimensional conversation. If Stroker wins -- or is even nominated -- this is a first for actors in a wheelchair. And to say that we can't even acknowledge that breakthrough is counterproductive toward "treating people the same and with equality". We should celebrate our differences, not pretend they do not exist. That's what theater is all about to me. 

all_that_jazz Profile Photo
all_that_jazz
#529Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/29/19 at 5:16pm

Its not just your comment there are many like it for example a few above

"Ali and would not be upset at all if she were to take it home. Especially because of how much it would mean for a wheelchair-bound actress to win a Tony! "

People are turning this into a what it would mean for people.

That is not what these awards are for and yet people fall under the not who was better but make it about statements and sending messages.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#530Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/29/19 at 9:52pm

dollyfan said: "I find it very strange that gold derbyhas Hadestownonly winning featured actor, It has featured, score, director, and musical easily"

Eh...3 new musical haven't opened yet and 1 revival ...stay tuned Golden Derby doesn't have a clue.

Hadestown will end up winning a lot more than featured actor!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#531Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 3/29/19 at 9:52pm

boywonder14 said: "How much of a chance is there that Beetlejuice ends up being far better than it was in DC and ends up a major contender? Is that a possibility?"

Nope not happening. It's a mess and pretty much DOA from what I've heard.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#532Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/1/19 at 8:44am

What The Constitution Means To Me will definitely get a best play nom after the absolute raves. Id say Ink and Choir Boy battle for that 4th slot, and the 5th going to the other. 

dollyfan
#533Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/4/19 at 8:23am

I'm just genuinely curious what each show will perform. 

My predictions:

The Cher Show-Believe or some sort of medley

Hadestown-Way Down Hadestown or Living It Up On Top

Be More Chill: The Smartphone Hour or More Than Survive 

Kiss Me, Kate!-Too Darn Hot 

Oklahoma!-The Title Number or the Farmer and the Cowman 

The Prom-It's Time to Dance 

No clue on Ain't Too Proud, Tootsie, or Beetlejuice as I don't know the shows that well

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#534Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/5/19 at 10:07pm

Rogerdellibovi said: "After NYT and others panned Be More Chill I think there only noms could be Featured Actor (George Salazar or Jason Tam?), lighting and score. Really the score got trashed too but Beetlejuice is the only possible competition for the 4th slot right?"

I believe BMC will only get 2 nominations:

• Score
  • Book

dollyfan
#535Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/7/19 at 10:28pm

Is it likely that Scott Ellis will get two directing nominations for Kiss Me, Kate!, AND Tootsie??

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#536Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/7/19 at 10:49pm

dollyfan said: "Is it likely that Scott Ellis will get two directing nominations for Kiss Me, Kate!, AND Tootsie??".

Yes, I think it's likely. There are only 7 real contenders for 5 categories:

Chavkin
Fish
Ellis x2
Nicholaw
Timbers
McAnuff

History tells us that Timbers won't get nominated if Beetlejuice doesn't get a Best Musical nom. If they really like The Prom, Casey could sneak in. Or, Des McAnuff could get his first nomination since Jersey Boys.

dollyfan
#537Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/7/19 at 11:41pm

I just read all of the Oklahoma! reviews and I'd say most I read were fairly positive or raves so Ali, Mary, Damon, and Rebecca should hopefully get noms, also for orchestrations, revival, direction, set, lighting, and sound 

Zion24
#538Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/8/19 at 12:04am

I think we can expect nominations across the board: Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, and two Supporting Actress. Definitely revival and director.

I think Fontana, Block and Gray are still front runners, but these reviews put the Oklahoma! actors nipping at their heels. 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#539Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/8/19 at 12:20am

One interesting thing I just realized:

The production design for this year's Tonys will have to include a ramp up to the stage in the (very likely) event that Ali Stroker is nominated. And that's a great thing, in an industry that could be labeled as ableist.

Broadway61004
#540Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/8/19 at 9:18am

"Rogerdellibovi said: "After NYT and others panned Be More Chill I think there only noms could be Featured Actor (George Salazar or Jason Tam?), lighting and score. Really the score got trashed too but Beetlejuice is the only possible competition for the 4th slot right?"

I wouldn't count out the plays. Both Lear and Gary have a ton of original music that I suspect will end up being eligible. So it could easily be Prom, Tootsie, Hadestown and Lear.

jbp1232 Profile Photo
jbp1232
#541Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/8/19 at 11:34am

Broadway61004 said: ""Rogerdellibovi said: "After NYT and others panned Be More Chill I think there only noms could be Featured Actor (George Salazar or Jason Tam?), lighting and score. Really the score got trashed too but Beetlejuice is the only possible competition for the 4th slot right?"

I wouldn't count out the plays. Both Lear and Gary have a ton of original music that I suspect will end up being eligible. So it could easily be Prom, Tootsie, Hadestown and Lear.
"

Didn't Choir Boy have an original score too? (I didn't get a chance to see it) Do people think it could sneak into the noms too? 

Broadway61004
#542Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/8/19 at 11:38am

bp1232 said: "Didn't Choir Boy have an original score too? (I didn't get a chance to see it)Do people think it could sneak into the noms too?"

Yes, I believe it did, so it absolutely could be in there as well (there may be other plays I'm forgetting too).  So I wouldn't at all be shocked if at least one, maybe even two, plays end up nominated.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#543Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/8/19 at 12:10pm

Best Musical- Hadestown
Best Play- To Kill a Mockingbird or The Ferryman
Best Revival of a Musical- Oklahoma!
Best Revival of a Play- The Waverly Gallery
Best Actor Musical- Santino Fontana (Tootsie)
Best Actress Musical- Stephanie J Block (The Cher Show)
Best Featured Actor Musical- Patrick Page (Hadestown)
Best Featured Actress Musical- Amber Gray (Hadestown), Ali Stroker (Oklahoma!), Mary Testa (Oklahoma!)
Best Actor Play- Brian Cranston (Network), Jeff Daniels (To Kill a Mockingbird)
Best Actress Play- Elaine May (The Waverly Gallery)
Best Featured Actor Play- Bertie Carvel (Ink)
Best Featured Actress Play- Joan Allen (The Waverly Gallery)
Best Director Musical- Daniel Fish (Oklahoma!)
Best Director Play- Sam Mendes (The Ferryman)
Best Score- Hadestown
Best Book- Tootsie

Broadway61004
#544Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/8/19 at 1:52pm

It seems lately there's been a huge correlation between Book and Musical (9 of the past 10, including upsets the past two years) and Actor and either Musical or Revival (11 of the past 12).  So that got me thinking--are we perhaps being a bit overconfident that either a) Hadestown will win Best Musical or b) Tootsie will win both Book and Actor?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we have to go all the way back to 1982 (Dreamgirls) to find a show that won both Book and Actor but not Best Musical.  Just a thought from a "stats" perspective.

Rogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
#545Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/8/19 at 3:04pm

Broadway 61004, yup they are definetly linked. I don’t think their is consensus on Best Book for Tootsie, I’ve seen a few say it but not everyone. I think Hadestown will take it if only due to the fact I think they’ll get musical and score. Plus, comedy fans will probably go some for Tootsie and some for the Prom.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#546Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/8/19 at 3:30pm

Broadway61004 said: "bp1232 said: "Didn't Choir Boy have an original score too? (I didn't get a chance to see it)Do people think it could sneak into the noms too?"

Yes, I believe it did, so it absolutely could be in there as well (there may be other plays I'm forgetting too). So I wouldn't at all be shocked if at least one, maybe even two, plays end up nominated.
"

I don't think any of those songs were original, though - weren't they all old spirituals? Could certainly be considered in Orchestrations, though, if a cappella vocal arrangements count as orchestrations. 

Perfect opportunity for my annual plea for a Vocal Arranging Tony! It's kind of BS that there isn't one... 

Updated On: 4/8/19 at 03:30 PM

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#547Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/8/19 at 11:58pm

Nominations for Best Musical:
Hadestown
Tootsie
The Prom
Ain’t Too Proud
Be More Chill

Five.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/2019-tony-awards-expanded-categories/amp/

woeisme3
#548Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/9/19 at 12:05am

Not sure how I feel about this forced expansion...it would work in some years but I really don’t feel like there’s 5 worthy Best Musical nominees (and there’s definitely not enough best book/score contenders)

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#549Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread
Posted: 4/9/19 at 12:05am

SomethingPeculiar said: "One interestingthing I just realized:

The production design for this year's Tonys will have to include a ramp up to the stage in the (very likely) event that Ali Stroker is nominated. And that's agreatthing, in an industry that could be labeled asableist.
"

I thought about that but I think it's more likely that they will have Oklahoma perform directly before the Feature Actress award and have Ali on standby in the wings for a possible win.