pixeltracker

FROZEN cast performs on GMA- Page 3

FROZEN cast performs on GMA

mailhandler777
#50FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 12:30am

ChgoTheatreGuy said: "The other thing that I found especially disturbing was the staging, it seems that it you are not exactly at the correct place to the special effect movements, you have the potential to lose limbs or possibly skin. I've seen better staging and costume reveals on "Drag Race"..."

How would someone lose skin or limbs from a dress change??? 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

hamiltonboys
#51FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 12:42am

I think the set design is great and I'm not sure an actual huge castle is needed... but man that staging is awful. Elsa's supposed to be building this castle with her ice powers, but instead she just stands there and the ice curtain just appears behind her? If you hadn't seen the movie, you would have no clue that she created the castle by watching the stage version.

Also, why is a 50 year old playing teenage Anna? Her singing was fine to me but she's way too old.

stevie3
#52FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 1:01am

I meant to say that the Ticket will tighten up after they do their number on the Tony Awards. Im starting to notice that people are paying up for good seats on the secondary market and that wasn't the case the last couple months. The show actually looks pretty good. Im getting good feedback from many avid Theatre Goers. I think things are changing for the better with this show, Go Frozen !!!

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#53FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 3:44am

Saw the show tonight.

VERY underwhelmed. The cartoon moved fast and didnt let us dwell on the grim sections. The stage version wallows in the grimness. Sorry, not my cup of tea. The new songs are negligible.

But “Hygge” is one of those numbers you’ve gotta be able to say that you saw. Jaw dropping, completely inappropriate and a hoot. Second Act it just for that.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#54FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 8:20am

I havent seen the show, but, are any scenes with Elsa set in her ice castle? I dont get that impression (except maybe the one where Anna comes and tries to convince her to come home) so if there isnt one, why go to the expense of a huge ice castle coming up out of the stage for just 2 minutes of stage time?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#55FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 9:19am

My thing about Frozen is why would I pay Broadway prices to see this? I could see something honestly not that much different in quality (and at least it’s only an hour) at California Adventure AND I get to enjoy Disney Land.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#56FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 9:48am

After watching both the Production on Broadway and the one at disneyland. The disneyland one is far superior. It actually has nice sets, the lights are colorfull and spalshy and theres something going on during Let it go. When a theme park 45 minute show is better than a 2 hour broadway production thats when you know you dropped the ball...

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#57FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 11:26am

Elegance101 said: "My thing about Frozen is why would I pay Broadway prices to see this? I could see something honestly not that much different in quality (and at least it’s only an hour) at California Adventure AND I get to enjoy Disney Land. "

Exactly correct, Elegance. 

MyLife
#58FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 12:46pm

Disney chose to showcase the two best and only numbers worth buying a ticket for on ABC.

It will sell tickets for sure because the numbers were familiar and thrilling. That said, for those here who have not seen the show, don't. Other than these numbers the rest is an expensive nap, especially for the children. I can watch Caissie sing Let it Go over and over again now, without sitting through another two hours of complete boredom. 

Also, the show doesn't need an ice castle. Let it Go is good enough as it is. The other parts of the show are what need something to keep our attention.

RicardoMagon Profile Photo
RicardoMagon
#59FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 2:36pm

Also, the show doesn't need an ice castle. Let it Go is good enough as it is. The other parts of the show are what need something to keep our attention."

I disagree. Most of the people in the audience at the broadway show has seen the film. Everyone who has seen the film knows what happens during the let it go number. The ice castle is built. Cassie standing on the stage singing while the music of the castle being built is just lack luster.  

Disney went cheap. 

natashalost
#60FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 5:50pm

RippedMan said: "If you look at Grandage's past, this all makes sense. This is what he does. Dark and moody. I don't think he was the director for this."

I know he was doing Mean Girls at the time but Casey Nicholaw would have been perfect to direct and choreograph this show. 

JennH
#61FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 8:49pm

natashalost said: "RippedMan said: "If you look at Grandage's past, this all makes sense. This is what he does. Dark and moody. I don't think he was the director for this."

I know he was doing Mean Girls at the time but Casey Nicholaw would have been perfect to direct and choreograph this show.
"

1000% no. Casey is such the 180 degree extreme opposite from Grandage that he wouldn't have worked either. Casey would have just made it TOO campy and taken what little heart the film has and killed it, the way he killed Aladdin and that film actually HAS a ton of heart. Casey's strong suit is fluffy comedy and camp, period. Spamalot and Something Rotten are brilliant because those already fit that strong suit of his. Plus he was doing Mean Girls already anyway, which is also better for his stylistic niche. I might not like what I've seen from Grandage thus far, but I'll take Grandage's Frozen over Casey's any day because at least Grandage knows how to be earnest. Back when Timbers was supposed to do this, I wasn't thrilled either, but now I wish they'd stuck with him because at least he could have had a creative vision, OR... a reworked script and tightened up story to, you know...ACTUALLY work on stage and this could have been a Taymor comeback of the highest order. Disney is just playing everything too safe these days and I'm bored.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#62FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/1/18 at 10:01pm

Times are really changing when people would rather literally see a theme park show, with a CGI castle and a big ass staircase, on a Broadway stage, instead of an artistic, theatrical interpretation. It's bad enough that the crowd basically drowns out Caissie from the quick change to the end of the number - when I sat in the audience, I could barely hear her from that point on - and now you want throw other stuff onto the stage? It's supposed to be about her. Audiences can figure out what's going on and audiences seem just fine with it.

Did I like the show? No. Did everyone go to intermission on a huge high? Absolutely. To me, that's job done.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 6/1/18 at 10:01 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#63FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 8:41am

I decided to watch the LiG performance since I'm going to see it at the Tonys anyway.

Director: Do you know what we need to do for the castle transformation, which is the highlight and emotional buildup of Let It Go? Block it with curtains, of course.

WTH is the director thinking with this?! Let It Go is about Elsa finally releasing her powers. She does this by building a castle. She does it with love. You're literally hiding the powers from the audience!!!!! And why is she just standing there at the first half?

Updated On: 6/10/18 at 08:41 AM

BwayLB
#64FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 11:01am

^I agree with you. Cassie's vocals however are forgiving. But if this is how it's going to be in terms of staging, I am not going to see the show when it goes on tour.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#65FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 12:29pm

Alex Timbers was really really really going do something big with this show.  Bigger, in scope, than what Julie did with Lion King.  Even if you didn't like Frozen's music/book, it would have been hard to not be knocked over in awe of what Alex did with it.

Disney didn't want to pay the money.  It's the same way Disney has been in their theme parks for over ten years.

"Why?", you ask?

Have any of you ever read anything on a term in business called Blue Ocean Strategy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ocean_Strategy

Broadway World's Fireman.

disneybroadwayfan22
#66FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 12:43pm

Ugh, Disney had all of the money to do Timbers’s Direction. I smell something fishy. Just so shameful that the producers took away the show’s greatest potential to be the new Wicked.

And this scene still has potential to be knocked out of the park. But the curtains ruin it!

Still excited for the show with a open mind 

Updated On: 6/10/18 at 12:43 PM

BwayLB
#67FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 2:12pm

Well good luck with that (no sarcasm intended)

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#68FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 2:21pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Ugh, Disney had all of the money to do Timbers’s Direction. I smell something fishy.Just so shameful that the producers took away the show’s greatest potential to be the new Wicked.

And this scene still has potential to be knocked out of the park. But the curtains ruin it!

Still excited for the show with a open mind

"

Disney did have all the money to do it.  Disney has the money to put on Timber's production in every single Broadway house and not even feel the hit in their wallet.  But Bob Iger has the personality and artistic integrity of wet cardboard (and I can say that through personal experience). 

Think about it by looking at Walt Disney World:  The last great attraction, where artistic integrity/innovation/magic were combined, was Tower of Terror.  Over 20 years ago.  One could argue Expedition: Everest is a great attraction but Disney has let the attraction sit with it's signature show scene broken almost since the ride opened (don't let the lie that the Yeti animatronic cannot be taken out of the mountain to be fixed fool you.  Disney just refuses to shut down the ride to spend the money to fix it... they don't mind using the moving Yeti animatronic in their current Disney Parks advertising or commercials, though).  Now, what do the new attractions look like?  Toy Story Land, a cheap hodgepodge of common fair rides.  That says it all.  Disney knows it will make money regardless, they don't give a sh!t about quality.  And until the public stops blindly snorting all the pixie dust Disney lines up in front of them, Disney will continue this way.  

It's also worth nothing that a Tony Award winner who has worked for Disney has said the following (and i'm paraphrasing): “Disney Theatrical underbelly was the Dark Side made terrifying real…. like Eyes Wide Shut.”

The Corporate Culture of Disney is toxic and the Disney that a lot of people grew to love through the 1990's is gone... and I don't think it's coming back.  Unless the public, in masses, stops consuming a Walmart quality product for a Saks Fifth Avenue price.  

Broadway World's Fireman.
Updated On: 6/10/18 at 02:21 PM

disneybroadwayfan22
#69FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 2:34pm

BwayLB said: "Well good luck with that (no sarcasm intended)"

Haha thank you! I actually saw Carousel on Friday, despite the criticism here and I 100% adored it.

BwayLB
#70FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 2:44pm

^ Thanks for telling me but I am strictly watching tonight for Spongebob to win some awards. Besides I love Rogers and Hammerstein music but I don't know if I'll like Carousel.

JennH
#71FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 2:47pm

To the above responses...YEP. I'm not a business person, so I'd never heard of that strategy, but damn that's fascinating. Reading it at first, I thought I was gonna be like "UGH not another shrewd business deal where money is king, blah blah..." but of course, I ended up reading about Red Ocean (you can't NOT if you want to understand Blue Ocean) and it makes Blue Ocean seem kind in comparison. 

All I can say is everything about life is circular. Eisner may have been a hard case but at least he had a semblance of artistic integrity, and the company was brought out from what's called it's near two decade long Dark Age under him. Then it went into another one after Tarzan, and came back again with PATF and went from there. But that's not to say PATF and anything since then have been great (with a couple of exceptions). Iger's era will come to an end eventually, and hopefully another cycle of artistic integrity will come along. Yes they'll make money anyway, but geez why not create something GOOD while you're at it? It's what keeps people COMING BACK. Hooking people is one thing, but getting them to come back and stay is another. Genuine staying power and longevity is when you know you have something special and therefore it's necessary, why do they think people keep going back to their Golden Age classics and the 90's films? 

BritCrit
#72FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 3:39pm

Sondheimite said: "Alex Timbers was really really really going do something big with this show. Bigger, in scope, than what Julie did with Lion King. Even if you didn't like Frozen's music/book, it would have been hard to not be knocked over in awe of what Alex did with it.

Disney didn't want to pay the money. It's the same way Disney has been in their theme parks for over ten years
"

I think that whoever was responsible for firing Timbers must have really regretted their desicion after 'Frozen, failed to gain ANY technical nominations. Disney took it for granted that Frozen would receive recognition in the technical categories (Even 'Tarzan' and 'The Little Mermaid' were nominated for Best Lighting Design!) but that complacency really backfired. 

A production as elaborate and expensive as ''Frozen' will be judged by far higher standards. Michael Grandage's safe, projection-heavy approach turned out to be a bad idea...

disneybroadwayfan22
#73FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 4:00pm

BwayLB said: "^ Thanks for telling me but I am strictly watching tonight for Spongebob to win some awards. ."

Haha same!

BwayLB
#74FROZEN cast performs on GMA
Posted: 6/10/18 at 5:07pm

The nominations the show has sparked my interest in possibly seeing Spingebob if a national tour happens