pixeltracker

Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play? - Page 2

Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?

RicardoMagon Profile Photo
RicardoMagon
#25Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/2/18 at 10:10pm

I have forgotten Frankie Valli. I can't think of any male role in musical theater that has to sing as much as he does.

Rainah
#26Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/2/18 at 10:13pm

I think it's certainly a marathon. A lot of roles are though. 

RicardoMagon
#28Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 12:05am

Dewey is a five show role? Really?! I've never head of a 5 show role.  I've only heard of 6-8. Even Evita did 6 shows a week. How many performances a week  did the actor playing Franki Valli do?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#30Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 5:35am

Was it always that way?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 5:35am

Was it always that way?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RicardoMagon
#32Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 7:14am

PThespian said: "Yes. There is an evening Dewey who does five shows a week (currently Justin Collette) and an alternate who does the threee matinees (currently Connor John Giliooly) b"

I feel like you're just sharing the role at that point.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#33Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 9:49am

dramamama611 said: "Was it always that way?"

Per the opening night Playbill (which shows 3 understudies) and ibdb (which shows the first alternate in September), no. I have not paid enough attention to the show to know how many performances Brightman was doing from the get-go.

Br0adway
#34Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 10:27am

I agree with Evan Hansen. On stage almost the whole show and cry sings. I’d like to see Hamilton cry sing.

But if we’re demanding- I’m going to add in Anna from Frozen. She’s constantly on stage, sings, dances, etc.

RicardoMagon
#35Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 10:32am

. I’d like to see Hamilton cry sing.

He does.

TexanAddams18
#36Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 10:36am

Reminder that someone can give an amazing, spellbinding performance without "Cry-Singing"

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#37Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 10:40am

TexanAddams18 said: "Reminder that someone can give an amazing, spellbinding performance without "Cry-Singing""

We live in a post-DEH world now, so cry-singing is actually now the only way you can give a good performance. Everything else is crap.

Br0adway
#38Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 10:40am

RicardoMagon said: ". I’d like to see Hamilton cry sing.

He does.

"

If he supposed to he didn’t for my show. But I just think my show was off because it was the day before Javier Munoz left and everything was off. The show started without music for a good 5 minutes until they reset. 

RicardoMagon
#39Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 10:42am

The Hamilton I saw was crying and singing during "It's quiet uptown". Maybe all of them don't do it though.

TexanAddams18
#40Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 10:48am

BroadwayConcierge said: "TexanAddams18 said: "Reminder that someone can give an amazing, spellbinding performance without "Cry-Singing""

We live in a post-DEHworld now, so cry-singing is actually now the only way you can give a good performance. Everything else is crap.
"

Totally, I don't even know why they bother awarding Lead Actor in a Musical this year. 4 Horrible, non-cry-singing performances. 

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#41Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 11:09am

RicardoMagon said: "The Hamilton I saw was crying and singing during "It's quiet uptown". Maybe all of them don't do it though."

Michael Luwoye cried through this song and it was gut wrenching. That’s the first time IVe seen tears from a Hamilton. Completely took that song to another level for me. Everyone seated around us was crying as well.  

willrolandsframes
#42Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 11:21am

HogansHero said: "dramamama611 said: "Was it always that way?"

Per the opening night Playbill (which shows 3 understudies) and ibdb (which shows the first alternate in September), no. I have not paid enough attention to the show to know how many performances Brightman was doing from the get-go.
"

If I remember correctly, the change was made in regards to the weight/fitness issue with Brightman as Dewey. I heard that Brightman was losing a significant amount of weight from playing Dewey 7-8 shows a week, and they needed him to have a bit of heft. I remember reading that he actually had a dietitian help him to not lose as much weight. I guess the fact that Dewey is now a 5-show character probably has a lot to do with this issue. 

With that being said, I would definitely put Dewey Finn in the Top 3 most demanding roles currently on Broadway, if not THE most demanding.

RicardoMagon
#43Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 11:26am

I figured it was 5 shows a week now cause Brightman was missing a ton of performances.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#44Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 12:06pm

Per the script of Hamilton, during "Quiet Uptown," Hamilton is supposed to be emotional but nothing too exaggerated until Eliza sings her one line—and then he is supposed to utterly shatter.

Of all the Hamiltons I've seen, Luwoye has definitely displayed the most emotion during the song up until Eliza's line, but his "shattering" thereafter is especially grueling and heartbreaking to see. So, "Quiet Uptown" doesn't necessarily call for cry-singing. I think it's really up to the actor to figure out the best way to make Hamilton's pivotal emotional change work after Eliza's moment.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#45Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 1:13pm

I believe Burr is the more demanding role. I believe I read somewhere that LMM wrote the role of Hamilton for himself, but after the musical was fully developed he wish he played Burr.

As far as other demanding roles, Franki Valli is certainly demanding. Evan Hansen is certainly demanding emotionally. I can’t imagine crying almost an entire show 8 days a week.

The role of the Dysquith Family in Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder is very demanding.  

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Updated On: 6/3/18 at 01:13 PM

RicardoMagon
#46Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 1:14pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Per the script ofHamilton, during "Quiet Uptown,"Hamilton is supposed to be emotional but nothing too exaggerateduntil Eliza sings her one line—and then he is supposed to utterly shatter.

You have the script of Hamilton?

TexanAddams18
#47Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 2:00pm

Three Highest Demanding Current Male Roles:

Dewey, Phantom, Spongebob

RicardoMagon
#48Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 2:19pm

Phantom? Is that a joke?

Lin-Manuel Miranda
#49Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 2:21pm

First of all, I wake up changing diapers, and don't start rapping til after lunch.

I'll leave it to you all to debate where Hamilton goes in the all-time pantheon (Valjean and Frankie Valli are ROUGH, and I'd put Hedwig up at the top) but my two cents: You know the old line how Ginger Rogers does everything Astaire does, but backwards and in heels? That's Aaron Burr in this show. Burr's track is more physically demanding and Hamilton's is more vocally demanding in my opinion. And Lafayette/Jefferson and Angelica are tied for trickiest verbal passages.

Okay, carry on, happy Sunday!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#50Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 2:33pm

Lin-Manuel Miranda said: "First of all, I wake up changing diapers, and don't start rapping til after lunch.

I'll leave it to you all to debate where Hamilton goes in the all-time pantheon (Valjean and Frankie Valli are ROUGH, and I'd put Hedwig up at the top) but my two cents: You know the old line how Ginger Rogers does everything Astaire does, but backwards and in heels? That's Aaron Burr in this show. Burr's track is more physically demanding and Hamilton's is more vocally demanding in my opinion. And Lafayette/Jefferson and Angelica are tied for trickiest verbal passages.

"

Lin has spoken. I guess that answers that question!!!

Updated On: 6/3/18 at 02:33 PM

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#51Is Hamilton one of the most demanding male roles to play?
Posted: 6/3/18 at 2:42pm

Lin-Manuel Miranda said: "First of all, I wake up changing diapers, and don't start rapping til after lunch.

"

Well that settles that argument  

Not to be confused with Dave19.