Tonys Advice

Bwayfan12092
#1Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 9:14am

Looking for some advice...

I have an opportunity to attend the Tony Awards this year, but do not own a tuxedo. Am I all right going in a navy blue suit? Will I still be accepted in? Help... chance of a lifetime but I don’t want to be underdressed!! Thank you thank you for all your help!!

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#2Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 9:23am

last year there was a group of high school students seated near me in suits, and the man next to me had on a suit jacket.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 9:54am

Yes, most definitely!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TheatreRocks Profile Photo
TheatreRocks
#4Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 10:48am

a nice suit is waaayyy better than a tuxedo anyway

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#5Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 10:55am

I am also attending them this year as a first timer. From what most people have told me, you only really NEED to be in a tux if you're in the orchestra. I'm up in the nosebleeds so I'm just planning on wearing a suit.

Btb1993 Profile Photo
Btb1993
#6Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 10:58am

Chiming in here- Does anyone have advice about when to get there? I know doors close at 7pm according to the website but was unsure if I should be going earlier than that. Thanks!

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#7Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 11:14am

I got there at 6 last year. It was my first time and I wanted to walk around and check everything out, take pictures, etc. Remember - even though the TV broadcast doesn't start until 8, the earlier presentations/awards start at 7.

That said, if you don't care about any of that - you can get there at 6:45 and just go straight to your seat and be fine.

Updated On: 6/6/18 at 11:14 AM

Btb1993 Profile Photo
Btb1993
#8Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 11:47am

This is so helpful thank you! Wasn't even thinking about the earlier awards. It is my first time too so I will definitely get there early to see everything.

One more question if you don't mind! And sorry if this is a stupid question.. you can get up from your seat to go get a drink/snack during the commercials, right? Figured it's going to be a long night and wasn't sure how that works. Thanks so much!

Bwayfan12092
#9Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 11:49am

Jshan05 said: "I am also attending them this year as a first timer. From what most people have told me, you only really NEED to be in a tux if you're in the orchestra. I'm up in the nosebleeds so I'm just planning on wearing a suit."

Right now I’ve got khakis, button down and a tie. Thinking to rent a jacket. Will this be enough? 

AEA AGMA SM
#10Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 12:03pm

Just remember that while you're worrying about what to wear, this is the look Frances McDormand gave us in 2011 when she won a Tony.

Tonys Advice

Bwayfan12092
#11Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 12:06pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "Just remember that while you're worrying about what to wear, this is the look Frances McDormand gave us in 2011 when she won a Tony.

Tonys Advice
"

Was totally thinking of that!! But seriously... will it? 

Broadway61004
#12Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 12:07pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "Just remember that while you're worrying about what to wear, this is the look Frances McDormand gave us in 2011 when she won a Tony.

Tonys Advice
"

Was literally just about to mention McDormand when I saw this lol

So my personal taste is always to be super formal and would  go in a tux, but  no, there will be plenty of people there in sport coats and pants. So you should be just fine!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 12:13pm

Technically there is no dress code.  This isn't the restaurant 21 which requires you wear a tie and jacket and provide you with one if you arrive without this.  

Common sense dictates you dress accordingly so even dressing casually nice with a jacket is more than apropo.  Same applies with nominees -- they are not required to dress in formal black tie, which is why you saw Frances McDormand attend the 2011 Tony Awards in a denim jacket and a basic summer dress. 

You're sitting in the mezzanine.  No one can see you in your seat so dressing nicely is more out of respect to your fellow attendees.  Ladies choosing to wear beaded gowns assuming they will be walking the red carpet is pointless as only celebrities with credentials (provided in advance to the PR handlers dealing with the arrivals) walk the red carpet.  Regular attendees are not permitted to walk the red carpet during the arrivals.    

Tonys Advice

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#14Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 12:25pm

Btb1993 said: "This is so helpful thank you! Wasn't even thinking about the earlier awards. It is my first time too so I will definitely get there early to see everything.

One more question if you don't mind! And sorry if this is a stupid question.. you can get up from your seat to go get a drink/snack during the commercials, right? Figured it's going to be a long night and wasn't sure how that works. Thanks so much!
"

Yes you can get up, but my advice is to try to limit that unless you have an aisle seat. You don't want to annoy the people sitting around you.

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#15Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 2:29pm

Wearing a suit will be fine -- As to when to get there, I'd say by 6 -- so you can take it all in -- I've been lucky enough to go twice.  You'll want to get to your seat in enough time to take a few pictures and stuff -- Note (at least the years I've been) you can't get anything to eat or drink after the show starts -- and I was incredibly disappointed that I couldn't get a glass of champagne before hand -- no bar at all 

bdboston
#16Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 2:42pm

Some non-attire advice: get there early to ensure you get an official Playbill/program (which is actually a really nice keepsake). Though they are handed out by ushers, the books are stored in boxes off to the sides - where people help themselves to multiple copies. By the time I got into Radio City last year at 6:30, the usher seating me said all the programs were gone. Luckily, upon leaving the bar on the mezzanine, I noticed a cardboard box tucked away in a corner and sure enough there were a few in there, so I got one.

Btb1993 Profile Photo
Btb1993
#17Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 3:15pm

Thank you for all the tips! Wow I'm so surprised about there not being a bar?... I assumed that you could get a drink/snack just like you can at any Broadway show. Glad I learned that ahead of time. Thanks again everyone for your advice I appreciate it!

ArtMan
#18Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 3:39pm

Bwayfan12092 said: "Jshan05 said: "I am also attending them this year as a first timer. From what most people have told me, you only really NEED to be in a tux if you're in the orchestra. I'm up in the nosebleeds so I'm just planning on wearing a suit."

Right now I’ve got khakis, button down and a tie. Thinking to rent a jacket. Will this be enough?
"

I would go with dark khakis, if you don't own dark suit pants.  As far as renting a jacket.  Go to your local thrift store and buy a jacket (if you can't afford a suit)  Go with dark on dark.  It will give the appearance of a dark suit and look dressier.  It's always better to be over dressed than under dressed.

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#19Tonys Advice
Posted: 6/6/18 at 3:58pm

I saw a bar last year. I didn't get anything, and I didn't notice anything during the show, but prior to it starting I definitely saw people walking around with drinks.