BwayLB
#25Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 10:00am

I rather point and laugh at them then walk out

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#26Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 10:10am

I will truly never forget those scenes with the demises of Violet and Veruca, especially Veruca because that was absolutely horrifying. I was in complete shock the entire time during the Veruca sequence, because I just couldn't believe it was happening and that families had brought their kids to this. 

I know someone going out on the tour and I wasn't planning on seeing this again, but I'm definitely going to see them in it. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#27Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 10:24am

ClumsyDude15 said: "I will truly never forget those scenes with the demises of Violet and Veruca, especially Veruca because that was absolutely horrifying. I was in complete shock the entire time during the Veruca sequence, because I just couldn't believe it was happening and that families had brought their kids to this.

I know someone going out on the tour and I wasn't planning on seeing this again, but I'm definitely going to see them in it.
"

They were horrifying! But the children sitting near me seemed fine--not sure what that says about them.

ClumsyDude15
#28Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 10:30am

I couldn't see the majority of the kids around me during that moment, but I was just absolutely stunned by it. I've heard they're reworking things for the tour and I hope something is done with that scene because it's just horrifying. Why not go the route of the original movie and have her fall down the Bad Nut shoot or even if you're going for the more Tim Burtonesque route have the squirrels carry her off like they do in the remake. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#29Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 10:34am

There were MANY horrifying things about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on Broadway. The children's deaths ranks among one of the most horrifying though. I REALLY hope that they are reworking the show for the tour, because the Broadway production was a complete misfire in every single aspect.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#30Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 10:37am

I feel like the more they try to fix this, the more it breaks.

BwayLB
#31Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 10:41am

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

ClumsyDude15 said: "I couldn't see the majority of the kids around me during that moment, but I was just absolutely stunned by it. I've heard they're reworking things for the tour and I hope something is done with that scene because it's just horrifying. Why not go the route of the original movie and have her fall down the Bad Nut shoot or even if you're going for the more Tim Burtonesque route have the squirrels carry her off like they do in the remake."

I prefer the Bad Egg shoot because how it was done in the original movie was even funnier than the squirrels

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#32Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 11:03am

I prefer the Bad Egg shoot because how it was done in the original movie was even funnier than the squirrels.

The bad (gold) shute was written for the original 1971 film.  The squirrels/bad nut sequence is from the original book.  

BwayLB
#33Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 11:21am

^ Okay that’s fair

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#34Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 12:49pm

The squirrels also offer more of an opportunity for visual flair - the film used geese (and the chute) primarily because making the squirrels do what they did in the book would've been impossible without clumsy puppetry, and it would be difficult to translate them to the musical unless Veruca got her own song or the song was rewritten as a Swan Lake pastiche, rather than the current Nutcracker mouse-battle gag.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#35Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 2:11pm

All they need to do is put in a scene at the end, like in the original book, where the kids are shown to be fine. Altered, but alive. Or even just have Wonka say outright that there's a way to restore them, the way he does in the movie. The fact that the musical just kind of outright kills the kids, as opposed to punishing them and their parents but leaving them alive, is the worst thing about it. 

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#36Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 2:15pm

Danny Skinner as Augustus Gloop?

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#37Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 2:22pm

I have to confess that watching several insufferably entitled millennial parents screaming about how the scenes scarred their kids ... when their kids couldn't care less, probably after seeing things much worse daily on tv, made the entire show for me.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#38Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 2:34pm

South Fl Marc said: "I have to confess that watching several insufferably entitled millennial parents screaming about how the scenes scarred their kids ... when their kids couldn't care less, probably after seeing things much worse daily on tv, made the entire show for me."

Yes, the kids around me--including a VERY well behaved toddler--were fine. My late teen daughter and I were way more shocked. I agree with the above poster that in the book/movie the kids are all shown to be okay at the end is a better finish. I do believe Veruca called out for her Daddy after the squirrels carried her body parts off stage implying she was alive, but it's been awhile since I saw the show. 

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#39Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 2:48pm

Like I said, the kids around me were fine, but the girls demises in the show were extreme. My daughter, who doesn't even like kids, was horrified for the children in the audience. I'm thinking most kids viewed it as cartoon violence and were fine. Personally, it seemed like one of those Putnam County Spelling Bee nights for Adults--ramp up the off-color jokes,violence--in this case-for the adults only show. That said, it all happens so fast and the show doesn't dwell on it. I will never forget those moments though--so I good for them.

ClumsyDude15
#40Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 2:56pm

ChairinMain - I believe in previews they had a scene at the end showing the kids being okay, but it was cut. I do hope they also put a scene like that in for the tour because as it stands there's no way Veruca or Violet lived to see another day while you could make a case for Augustus and Mike is fine just tiny. 

bwayphreak234
#41Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 3:33pm

ChairinMain said: "All they need to do is put in a scene at the end, like in the original book, where the kids are shown to be fine. Altered, but alive.Or even just have Wonka say outrightthat there's a way to restore them, the way he does in the movie. The fact that the musical just kind of outright kills the kids, as opposed to punishing them and their parents but leaving them alive, is the worst thing about it."

I saw the show in early previews, and they did have a scene at the end that showed the kids to be alive. It did nothing to make the show any better, though, as the show itself was just plain horrific to begin with.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#42Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 3:48pm

bwayphreak234 said: "ChairinMain said: "All they need to do is put in a scene at the end, like in the original book, where the kids are shown to be fine. Altered, but alive.Or even just have Wonka say outrightthat there's a way to restore them, the way he does in the movie. The fact that the musical just kind of outright kills the kids, as opposed to punishing them and their parents but leaving them alive, is the worst thing about it."

I saw the show in early previews, and they did have a scene at the end that showed the kids to be alive. It did nothing to make the show any better, though,as the showitself was just plain horrific to begin with.
"

Well, yes. There are many things to be improved--like cutting the dead father dance. When I think back on it the kids dying is always first in mind. 

ClumsyDude15
#43Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 4:34pm

Agreed, Gink, agreed. The show itself was a huge mess, but the demise of the kids really is the first thing I recall and am still not over. I hated how the book basically left Charlie and his family in the original movie compared to the other kids being a direct connection to more of the Tim Burton movie because their timelines did not match up. Also, the score was pretty dreadful sans the classic songs from the film and a very small handful of the new songs. 

Updated On: 7/29/18 at 04:34 PM

¿Macavity?
#44Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 6:54pm

I didn’t see this show, so for someone that did and is willing to say, how exactly did they stage the “demises” of Violet and Veruca? Now I’m dying to know!

Edit: Sorry, just finished reading the first page of this thread... where I should have started...

Updated On: 7/29/18 at 06:54 PM

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#45Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 7:15pm

¿Macavity? said: "I didn’t see this show, so for someone that did and is willing to say, how exactly did they stage the “demises” of Violet and Veruca? Now I’m dying to know!"

Violet blows up--literally. Her costume expands like in the movies, she goes offstage and then blows up and her father, who was at the edge of the stage is showered with her guts. It's not gory--but it's purple stuff ,ribbons and fabric, etc-- implied his daughter has blown up--on him. If my memory serves me, Veruca scrambles up a conveyor belt and comes back in pieces. I do remember the squirrels  on stage with her limbs hoisted in the air--including her severed head.

angoradebs
#46Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 7:20pm

While I know the staging might change for the tour, can anyone tell me if sitting house left or house right is better for this show? My local venue offers partial view orchestra seats on the side that are 50% cheaper than full view orchestra seats. I wasn't impressed with the score for this one, and wasn't planning on seeing it, but I'm thinking about grabbing one of the partial view seats. Just wondering if there's anything in the set design or staging that would make one side preferable to the other.

bwayphreak234
#47Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 7:32pm

angoradebs said: "While I know the staging might change for the tour, can anyone tell me if sitting house left or house right is better for this show? My local venue offers partial view orchestra seats on the side that are 50% cheaper than full view orchestra seats.I wasn't impressed with the score for this one, and wasn't planning on seeing it, but I'm thinking about grabbing one of the partial view seats. Just wondering if there's anything in the set design or staging that would make one side preferable to the other."

The Broadway production barely had a set. If the same set is used on tour, partial view shouldn't be a problem as there is no set to really miss out on.

Updated On: 7/29/18 at 07:32 PM

¿Macavity?
#48Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 8:20pm

Gink said: "¿Macavity? said: "I didn’t see this show, so for someone that did and is willing to say, how exactly did they stage the “demises” of Violet and Veruca? Now I’m dying to know!"

Violetblows up--literally. Her costume expands like in the movies,she goes offstage and then blows up and her father, who was at the edge of the stage is showered with her guts. It's not gory--but it's purple stuff ,ribbons and fabric, etc--implied his daughter has blown up--on him. If my memory serves me, Veruca scrambles up a conveyor belt and comes back in pieces. I do remember the squirrels on stage with her limbs hoisted in the air--including her severed head.
"

Thank you! And wow, that is horrifying! What were they thinking?

Emmaloucbway
#49Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tour
Posted: 7/29/18 at 10:09pm

I don't have any information, but according to Instagram both Brynn Williams and Matt Wood left Spongebob today... tour Violet and Augustus maybe?

Videos