pixeltracker

HEAD OVER HEELS Previews- Page 2

HEAD OVER HEELS Previews

Ben_Platt_Out
#25HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 5:44pm

If they do Belinda Carlisle's signature dance move, they will recoup quickly. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 6:22pm

A Director said: "It's gonna FLOP!"

And as right as you may be, does that mean we should talk about it or see it?   Or, god forbid, LIKE it?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Solipsist234
#27HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 7:40pm

Honestly, we need to stop listening to A Director. Idiocy doesn't equal competency...

Solipsist234
#28HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 7:40pm

Delete

Updated On: 6/23/18 at 07:40 PM

A Director
#29HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 8:24pm

dramamama611 said: "A Director said: "It's gonna FLOP!"

And as right as you may be, does that mean we should talk about it or see it? Or, god forbid, LIKE it?

dramamama611,  I did  not say you shouldn't talk about it.  I did not say do not see it.  I  did not say you can not like it.  I offered my opinion, "It's gonna FLOP!"  Is this too difficult for you to understand?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 9:23pm

Intermission now. That was a very long first act. The audience is absolutely eating it up but I really want to go home. Besides Peppermint who’s been onstage for maybe 10 minutes so far and the ALWAYS incredible Rachel York, nothing on that stage is holding my interest. It’s as if the show was directed so that most of the songs need to all be sung in a way to elicit a chorus of “YAAAAS QUEEN” from the audience. I’m just so confused by the entire thing. 

Updated On: 6/23/18 at 09:23 PM

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#31HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 9:31pm

Did Act 1 end with "Vacation" or do they still have the book scenes afterward before the curtain. 

In SF, lots of the audience was starting to stand up because Vacation sure seemed like the closing number and the curtain came down. 

Jordan Catalano
#32HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 9:32pm

Act 1 ended with “Our Lips Are Sealed”.

Cfried
#33HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 9:34pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Intermission now. That was a very long first act. The audience is absolutely eating it up but I really want to go home. Besides Peppermint who’s been onstage for maybe 10 minutes so far and the ALWAYS incredible Rachel York, nothing on that stage is holding my interest. It’s as if the show was directed so that most of thesongs need to all be sung in a way to elicit a chorus of “YAAAAS QUEEN” from the audience. I’m just so confused by the entire thing."

I’m also here and mostly agree with you...but I’m still having some fun. Bonnie Milligan is a knockout and I love the choreography. I would like to see more of Peppermint. Unfortunately, I just don’t see this lasting. I’ll try to post more coherent thoughts later.

Boston Friend
#34HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 10:40pm

Just left and it’s long at 2.5 hours. Audience was filled with Go Gos fans who loved it.

Boston Friend
#35HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 10:40pm

Just left and it’s long at 2.5 hours. Audience was filled with Go Gos fans who loved it.

Jordan Catalano
#36HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/23/18 at 11:02pm

There is NO reason that show needs to be two and a half hours long. Something like that needs to clock in at 90 minutes at most.

Cesare2
#37HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 12:49am

I was also at Saturday night's performance.  The audience was whooping it up, applauding, and cheering from the very beginning.  I just took that as a sign that the house was heavily comped with friends of the production.  Very campy show.  Probably not for the Disney crowd, although it has princesses and talking sheep.  I found it inane.

Updated On: 6/24/18 at 12:49 AM

caringtype1
#38HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 1:22am

I thought it was fun, but not much else. The inherent juxtaposition between the music and the story's setting was cool and fun. I was loving it for the first fifteen minutes, then it started wearing pretty thin for me. The mileage you'll get out of it will probably depend on how much you like the music. I only knew about four of the songs. I agree this should have been no more than ninety minutes long. Costumes the choreography were both great. Rachel York was wonderful. l

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#39HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 1:38am

Does anyone have a song list? I saw the San Francisco version and am trying to figure out what (if anything) got cut. "Cool Jerk" was the one I heard was on the chopping block, but I don't know if that came to anything.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#40HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 2:06am

Here's to a new Season of Message Board manipulation! 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#41HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 2:09am

But how cute Andrew Durand?!?!

charityhopevalentine2 Profile Photo
charityhopevalentine2
#42HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 2:10am

Here's a list of changes/notes my friend noticed who saw the show tonight and in SF.

1. Basilius did Mopsa's opening speech
  2. "Beautiful" was moved to after Musidorus and Philoclea's scene
  3. Dametus introduced Mopsa as his daughter sooner
  4. Dametus suggested Bohemia instead of Mopsa
  5. Mopsa almost kissed Pamela right before "Automatic Rainy Day"
  6. Mopsa's "taking a pleasure cruise to Lesbos" line was said directly to Pamela
  7. THEY FIXED THE TRANSITION FOR VACATION!!! NO ONE GOT UP THINKING IT WAS INTERMISSION!!! :) Instead of Mopsa saying "I love Pamela. Ladies, I'm going back!" she just sings "I love you" at the end.
  8. In "Turn To You" they cut Dametus' part and just had Pamela and Mopsa sing it
  9. In "Lust to Love" they cut "Love me and I'll leave you" and the whole actual "Lust To Love" chorus
  10. At the end, they cut "nay selves" so Pythio just said "authentic self"
  11. After Musidorus said he wants to keep Cleophila around, the sheep come back out and Musidorus has a really intimate moment with the sheep and kind of exposed him as a furry. Lol.
Updated On: 6/24/18 at 02:10 AM

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#43HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 2:24am

charityhopevalentine2 said: "Here's a list of changes/notes my friend noticed who saw the show tonight and in SF.

1. Basilius did Mopsa's opening speech
  2. "Beautiful" was moved to after Musidorus and Philoclea's scene
  3. Dametus introduced Mopsa as his daughter sooner
  4. Dametus suggested Bohemia instead of Mopsa
  5. Mopsa almost kissed Pamela right before "Automatic Rainy Day"
  6. Mopsa's "taking a pleasure cruise to Lesbos" line was said directly to Pamela
  7. THEY FIXED THE TRANSITION FOR VACATION!!! NO ONE GOT UP THINKING IT WAS INTERMISSION!!! :)Instead of Mopsa saying "I love Pamela. Ladies, I'm going back!" she just sings "I love you" at the end.
  8. In "Turn To You" they cut Dametus' part and just had Pamela and Mopsa sing it
  9. In "Lust to Love" they cut "Love me and I'll leave you" and the whole actual "Lust To Love" chorus
  10. At the end, they cut "nay selves" so Pythio just said "authentic self"
  11. After Musidorus said he wants to keep Cleophila around, the sheep come back out and Musidorus has a really intimate moment with the sheep and kind of exposed him as a furry. Lol.

"

Thank you so much for this!!

As much as I love Taylor Iman Jones, they never quite nailed Mopsa as a narrator so it makes sense for some of that dialogue to be given to other characters. I saw the SF version early in previews and then at the end of the run, and the Mopsa/Pamela romance really changed for the better along the way - I'm hoping the things you described above only help.

I grew to really love this show in SF, warts and all, so I'm annoyed to hear the runtime is still long. Everyone I talked to in SF (even those who liked it) thought it should be shorter. It'll be interesting to see what else gets trimmed and changed - I'll be going towards the end of previews.

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#44HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 4:07am

@beltingbons is live on IG now

Jordan Catalano
#45HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 9:37am

This is the kind of show that in the 70s or 80s would have played for a couple months and done semi well in a 300 seat off-broadway theater, or even some place like the Duplex where you can get REALLY drunk while watching it and involve the audience in it.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#46HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 6:38pm

Just watching the Curtain Call video makes me not want to see this. Can they just bow. Not everything needs to be so extra.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#47HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 7:27pm

I agree. The curtain call soured this show even more to me.  If I see one more Voguing death drop for a quickie cheap “yasss qween” effect, I’m done.  

Enough!  

JaglinSays
#48HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 7:38pm

The poster art is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.

Jordan Catalano
#49HEAD OVER HEELS Previews
Posted: 6/24/18 at 7:39pm

There is almost not one line of spoken dialogue or direction in a song that doesn’t beg the audience for a “Yaaas Queen”.

Videos