pixeltracker

Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway- Page 2

Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/19/18 at 11:48pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "dramamama611 said: "I was told by an employee of the Emerson Colonial tonight, that they are now planning a NY Workshop 8n the summer with a fall of '19 as an opening.

Cannot vouch for any accuracy.
"

Didn’t theyhave a two-month lab last fall? Seems a little strangethat they’d do a workshop after a critically acclaimed, sold-out tryoutout of town. I’d strike while the iron is hot.
"

IF the info is correct, it means they want some eyes on it before it goes back in front of a paying audience.   I appreciate that.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#26Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 12:04am

Hopefully they reconsider adding back some songs from the movie.

Jarethan
#27Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 12:39am

Harry11 said: "about time, hopefully Karen will get her second tony. I heard a bootleg and she deserves it . A wonderful tony worth performance. I saw Roxanne and Aaron deserves his first tony nomination. The sets costumes choreography will not just get nominated they will win. Danny will not just get a nomination he will win his first."

That is one of the stupidest posts I have read in a long, long time.  You didn't see it, you have heard some (undoubtedly incredibly high quality) bootleg, and you are already saying that she deserves her second Tony.  Wouldn't it be worth waiting to actually see the show before you make that sort of a declaration.

I saw it twice in Boston, loved the show, believe that it has the potential to be a monster hit, and I thought that she was fine, if somewhat miscast.  I can even imagine three scenarios in which she could win a second Tony: (1) MR is a monster hit and she gets swept up in the fervor, a la several of the 'The Band's Visit' awards; or (2) she has no good competition; or, hopefully, (3) with the help of some book alterations in Act 2, she grows in the role, her chemistry with Tveit improves (assuming he moves to Broadway, which I assume will be the case after the Times review), and she does a better job conveying imminent death from consumption.  Right now, IMO, she is NOT giving a Tony-worthy performance, 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#28Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 12:46am

They're smart to work on it, whether it opens this spring or next fall. These producers know that they're going to need to run for a few years at least, otherwise this will go down as one of the biggest flops in Broadway history. That rave from the NYT/Brantley is nice insurance, but they can't rest on their laurels yet.

(And just thinking down the road...if the spectacle of the show becomes the selling point, that's going to have to be rethought for any kind of touring production, unless they're planning on sit-downs like Harry Potter.)

Harry11
#29Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 1:47am

I heard  a bootleg. And she sounded spot on. Karen sounded seductive and sensual. She also sounded sexy  I saw a bootleg and the artistic elements are perfect . I see lots of live shows and bootlegs. And I can tell you she is not trying to do a 'Nicole' but bringing her own 'artistic judgement' to it. I do think Patina would also be perfect

Updated On: 8/20/18 at 01:47 AM

Ladybug101
#30Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 6:02am

Jordan Roth was in the MR audience this past week so the following options (I go with #3)

1.  He was in Boston and decided to drop in to see what the NYT and Variety raved about

2.  He wanted to see what kind of competition MR would be for his various theatres' productions

3.  JR was checking out the staging, etc. to see how it would fit with the Hirschfeld and how to glam the theatre up when compared with the fabulously refurbished Colonial looks.  Especially if theatres are still in negotiations with MR. And Kinky Boots takes off in Jan.?

Also, a cast member posted yesterday late spring 2019 as a start.  Another said 9 months.  Both could include workshopping since both the NYT and Variety said that Act 2 was too long.  And, of course, other things to hone.  As others have said Global Creatures doesn't want to cannibalize an audience for King Kong with MR.  The rumored timing works -- post Tony's for MR if KK succeeds in its earlier run.  Plus Alex Timbers should be busy with Beetlejuice for the foreseeable future.

Updated On: 8/20/18 at 06:02 AM

dramamama611
#31Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 9:40am

Harry11 said: "I heard a bootleg. And she sounded spot on. Karen sounded seductive and sensual. She also sounded sexy I saw a bootleg and the artistic elements are perfect . I see lots of live shows and bootlegs. And I can tell you she is not trying to do a 'Nicole' but bringing her own 'artistic judgement' to it. I do think Patina would also be perfect

"

Oh, please.   Illegal recordings are no substitution for a live show.  I've seen it twice - you know, IN the theater.   Does Karen SOUND amazing?  Yes, she does - but her acting is less than stellar (partially due to the book - which is by far what needs the most work., which is also Aaron's un-doing.)

And of course - you can't judge ANYTHING in a bubble.  Will she win?  I dunno but since we don't even know what season this is entering, we can't possibly decide what performance is most deserving.

On a side note, some of you may remember my unfortunate seating situation on my first time a few weeks ago seeing MR.  This time, we sat in the front balcony, close to center.  Could see everything beautifully.   Ok, I am not in LOVE with the show still, but it's amazing how much better it is when you can SEE it!

I think the chemistry between Tveit and Olivo was better then it was a month ago.  But the book is a huge problem in that getting better.  At STILL nearly 3 hours, they need to get rid of some songs, and add/fix the  book.  The first song (if it were MY chopping block) would be Shake It Off.  Still hated it.

Again, the audience simply ate this up (for the most part).   It will be interesting what happens with casting between now and next year.  Unless anyone  was an ass/difficult to work with I can't see them replacing anyone.  Of course, we don't know what other offers/plans any of the actors have.  The two I think I would miss the most would be Sahr Nguaiah (Toulouse-Lautrec) and Danny Burstein (Zidler)  They are both phenomenal. 

Oh, and I really want them to make Tveit blond -- an't explain why -- but it needs to be done.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 8/20/18 at 09:40 AM

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#32Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 9:51am

What about the Imperial? has that announced a new tenant as yet?

I think it could work well at the Winter Garden because of the extra wide proscenium, they can add in those 'fake boxes' with plenty room, but might have to cut down some of those fabric swags over the stage.

Shame the Palace is out, would have been perfect in there

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#33Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 10:10am

I hope it is the Winter Garden. Imagine that marquee!!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#34Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 10:11am

I have heard rumors of a renovation of the Winter Garden following School of Rock's closure, and then Moulin Rouge moving in there in the late summer of 2019.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dramamama611
#35Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 10:16am

That would go along with two things I heard last night (at MR).   A fall opening (as I mentioned above)  and what they want to do with the (a?) windmill. (having it outside)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#36Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 10:17am

And if what you heard about another workshop is accurate, then this also gives a considerable amount of time for rewrites and reworks.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dramamama611
#37Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 10:33am

We can hope!

SomethingPeculiar
#38Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 11:06am

Windmill could probably still fit outside the Hirschfeld –– the INTO THE WOODS giant legs did! But I agree with other posters that it would look amazing at the Winter Garden.

Maybe the producers are still weighing their options of Jujamcyn's Hirschfeld vs Shubert's Winter Garden.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#39Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 11:09am

Reminder - Karen's supposed to be in Fun Home later this year (November 1 -25, 2018) in Madison. Assuming that will be a month or so of rehearsals before it opens, she might be not be available for the said workshop till late winter (which still doesn't mean that MR can't premiere in Spring, but something to keep in mind). Hope they don't recast her, would love to see her in a dance heavy show again.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#40Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 11:19am

http://www.derekmclane.com/musicals#/moulin-rouge/

some lovely set photos

I definitely think the Winter Garden would be best, they might even still be able to use the SR windmill and SL elephant (might have to make them a bit smaller) but it is such a wide theatre and it would look really nice outside on the marquis.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

SomethingPeculiar
#41Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 11:23am

Valentina3 said: "Reminder -Karen's supposed to be in Fun Home later this year (November 1 -25, 2018) in Madison. Assuming that will be a month or so of rehearsals before it opens, she might be not be available for the said workshop till late winter"

I am sure Olivo would drop out of a 4-week regional production of FUN HOME if it conflicted with a Broadway show that would offer her a year+ of work, possible awards, and other notoriety. 

dramamama611
#42Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 11:28am

I doubt they'd need the actors before late spring (maybe mid) for a summer workshop and fall opening.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#43Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 11:31am

SomethingPeculiar - I am worried about that (because I really want to see her in Fun Home), but I believe her sister-in-law (who's the artistic director of the theater company putting this production up) is both directing the show, and using her name to built up subscriptions. I think it will still happen.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

rjm516
#44Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 11:37am

I know that many of you believe you are entitled to see everything you could possibly want to see and that absurd sense of entitlement leads you to think that it's no big deal but JFC stop breaking the law. 

ren598
#45Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 11:53am

Wouldn’t having two show double their chances of winning awards if that’s what they’re after. Unless they’re being greedy and want to have a winner in consecutive years.

I was at stage door for the final performance and everybody had the same question. When is this transferring to Broadway? People can’t get enough of this show. Some people I met in the theatre and at stage door have seen this 10 times. People flew in from far away just for this show. First timers wanted to see it again. That’s the definition of a hit when you have people seeing it over and over again and are willing to traveling great distances. They really need to strike when the iron is hot.

ren598
#46Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 11:53am

Wouldn’t having two show double their chances of winning awards if that’s what they’re after. Unless they’re being greedy and want to have a winner in consecutive years.

I was at stage door for the final performance and everybody had the same question. When is this transferring to Broadway? People can’t get enough of this show. Some people I met in the theatre and at stage door have seen this 10 times. People flew in from far away just for this show. First timers wanted to see it again. That’s the definition of a hit when you have people seeing it over and over again and are willing to traveling great distances. They really need to strike when the iron is hot.

IdinaBellFoster
#47Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 11:54am

rjm516 said: "I know that many of you believe you are entitled to see everything you could possibly want to see and that absurd sense of entitlement leads you to think that it's no big deal but JFC stop breaking the law."

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#48Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 12:16pm

The idea that producers would not want to have two shows running in the same season so as not to compete against each other at the Tonys is silly. Producers have multiple shows running in a season all the time.

IdinaBellFoster
#49Moulin Rouge Officially Transferring to Broadway
Posted: 8/20/18 at 12:22pm

Kad said: "The idea that producers would not want to have two shows running in the same season so as not to compete against each other at the Tonys is silly. Producers have multiple shows running ina season all the time."

Exactly. Scott Rudin had three play revivals (BLACKBIRD, THE CRUCIBLE, and A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE) nominated against each other in 2016. He may not have been the lead producer on all, but still.