SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#275Down to One
Posted: 5/18/19 at 1:44am

I wonder how the show is selling?

lt03302
#276Down to One
Posted: 5/18/19 at 5:23pm

LightsOut90 said: "I am going to assume the tour cast is contractually obligated to be involved."

I don't think they are obligated. The cast made it clear that, though the tour was originally just "postponed," the whole cast was fired and their contracts ended. A few leads and ensemble members from the tour are transferring to this production but I assume it was just because they were offered the job and weren't in a position to turn down a job.

tourboi
#277Down to One
Posted: 5/18/19 at 9:59pm

A quick glance through several shows in the first few weeks indicates there was not a mad dash for tickets with the announcement. Maybe it’ll sell as a last minute thing?

SmoothLover
#278Down to One
Posted: 5/19/19 at 12:42pm

I had heard that sales were tepid. City Center sales are propelled by their subscriber base which Bat Out Of Hell is not a part of. I think a percentage of the audience will fly in from elsewhere. Whether houses will be good or not will be determined. I was surprised that there was a billboard in Times Square. That must have cost a few bucks. I went down to see it but the area was blocked off due to an electrical fire which made things more chaotic than usual.

leftyloveshuskies
#279Down to One
Posted: 5/19/19 at 3:15pm

If the show is hoping people come into town they better hope other people do not feel like me.  I had tickets in DC, then postponement,  then cancellation, it all left a bad taste in my mouth.  A co-worker of mine had family members coming into DC for the first dates, then rescheduled them for the second dates and then it was cancelled.  Neither of us have current plans to travel to NYC.

On a lighter note,  several of the Toronto Ensemble members were in the Kennedy Center's production of Tommy last month.  

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#280Down to One
Posted: 5/19/19 at 5:43pm

leftyloveshuskies said: "If the show is hoping people come into town they better hope other people do not feel like me. I had tickets in DC, then postponement, then cancellation, it all left a bad taste in my mouth. A co-worker of mine had family members coming into DC for the first dates, then rescheduled them for the second dates and then it was cancelled. Neither of us have current plans to travel to NYC.

On a lighter note, several of the Toronto Ensemble members were in the Kennedy Center's production of Tommy last month.

I have been twice burned by the production.  The SF leg of the tour cancelled as I was preparing to attend both the midnight performance and a regular performance with my Don Gregory Presents theatre group.  Still going to DC even though that was cancelled also.  Third attempt will be NYC on August 20.  Third time's a charm?

For good or ill, I'm mildly obsessed with this show.

SmoothLover
#281Down to One
Posted: 5/19/19 at 7:25pm

There were multiple ads last night for the show during Saturday Night Live on NBC. Between the TV ads, the giant billboard in Times Square and bus ads, the producer is putting some money into it so I would think odds of pulling out are low but then you never know what kind of drama could ensue. 

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#282Down to One
Posted: 5/19/19 at 10:37pm

Indeed, some drama is reportedly in the wind...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#283Down to One
Posted: 5/19/19 at 10:40pm

They def. didn't start advertising early enough.

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#284Down to One
Posted: 5/20/19 at 2:26am

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "Indeed, some drama is reportedly in the wind..."

Message me if thou must, but please don't be a tease.  My nerves can't stand it.

V2David
#285Down to One
Posted: 5/20/19 at 8:18am

I got my tix but I am waiting to book my flight. The way they priced these tickets seems crazy. I am sure there will be plenty of discounted tickets. Hopefully the advertising helps. I know some people hate this show and have been burned by these producers before. But for those of you who like this type of show, it is sure bliss. Can't wait to see it again. And the two leads are great.

Updated On: 5/20/19 at 08:18 AM

SmoothLover
#286Down to One
Posted: 5/20/19 at 4:33pm

I do not think it will be a must see by the theatre community in NYC. The audience will be Meat Loaf fans and baby boomer concert fans.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#287Down to One
Posted: 5/20/19 at 4:45pm

And even in the UK, many Meat Loaf fans were of the attitude "if it ain't Meat, I ain't goin'," referring both to it being the musical instead of the performer himself and to the fact that they fit the songs to a story other than a "biopic."

The singalong performances mentioned in this thread were in part, to hear posters at Theatreboard in the UK tell it, a reaction to some folks buying tickets at the Dominion getting rather inebriated, singing along as though it were a Meat Loaf concert, and getting incensed at the notion of being thrown out for rowdiness because they'd paid for their ticket. Considering they were buying tickets and sales didn't always go well, my perception -- admittedly colored by past experiences -- was that it was an "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" situation.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

SmoothLover
#288Down to One
Posted: 5/21/19 at 2:53am

And I think the producer's reputation is going to turn off people who work in the theatre so I do not think they will be rushing to buy tickets.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#289Down to One
Posted: 5/21/19 at 8:13am

SmoothLover said: "The best seats in the house at City Center, and you may quote me, are in the Grand Tier."

I've never been to City Center, so know nothing about it. Would you please elaborate on your reasoning?

I generally prefer to be close and rarely enjoy being upstairs for any show (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time being the only real exception that comes to mind). However, I'm wary of wide stages because you have to do a lot of side-to-side scanning when seated in the first few rows (I made this mistake the first time I saw Sunset Boulevard at The Palace). Is the stage at City Center as wide as is seems on the seating chart?

Would anyone else who has been to City Center and/or seen Bat out of Hell care to offer seating advice? I'm not concerned about price, only view.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Vicachka
#290Down to One
Posted: 5/21/19 at 8:51am

Anyone know - how's front row of the balcony in terms of view?  It's only $99 for tix, which seems much more reasonable than $249 for this show.  

Also - anyone aware of any discounts yet? 

V2David
#291Down to One
Posted: 5/21/19 at 9:15am

The London show used the full stage as well as multiple levels and projection. In order to see everything, you will likely have to sit a little further back. I would think the first row of the Grand Tier would give you an excellent unobstructed view of the entire show. You could take a chance sitting a little further back in the orchestra, but you never know if you will get someone with a huge head in front of you!

That being said, I like sitting closer as well. And while I'm sure the view from the front row of the Grand Tier is amazing, I don't know if they are "close enough". Andrew and Christina are phenomenal, and the show is a very high energy show. If you sit up close, you may not see everything, but you may feel more a part of the experience. Almost like sitting up front for a rock concert.

I think it really depends on what type of experience you want.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#292Down to One
Posted: 5/21/19 at 12:16pm

V2David said: "I like sitting closer as well. And while I'm sure the view from the front row of the Grand Tier is amazing, I don't know if they are "close enough". Andrew and Christina are phenomenal, and the show is a very high energy show. If you sit up close, you may not see everything, but you may feel more a part of the experience. Almost like sitting up front for a rock concert."

I share your concern about the Grand Tier.

If the stage is wide and all areas of it are used, I'd probably prefer to go a little bit further back in the orchestra than I usually would. About how far would you recommend to avoid having to constantly scan from side to side? Would somewhere in center rows A-D be good (that would be 4-7 rows from the stage)? I'm looking for more of a "complete experience" vantage point than "front row of a concert".

Updated On: 5/21/19 at 12:16 PM

SmoothLover
#293Down to One
Posted: 5/21/19 at 1:45pm

The first few rows of the Grand Tier feel very close to the stage because of how they sweep over the orchestra. If you sit further back in the orchestra you will see some heads. But at the same time the seats would be pretty good. The front row of  the Grand Tier would feel closer than something in the back of the orchestra.

I would not get first row balcony. Normally it is a fairly good seat but I have a feeling that there will be some obstructed views.

With the projections and so forth, the Grand Tier would be even more appealing than it already is.

The center Grand Tier seats are referred to by staff as the movie star seats and it is where the head of City Center sits when she attends shows.

Whatever you do  don't purchase seats on the extreme sides in any section unless you know they are obstructed view and you do not care.

V2David
#294Down to One
Posted: 5/21/19 at 3:04pm

I sat In the Center, Row H (which I assume was about Row 8) at the Dominion theater and it was pretty much perfect. (But I did have a guy with a big head in front of me! Lol).

I'm going with my kids again, so I am opting for the front row Grand Tier seats just to avoid any chance of obstruction. I'm sure these seats will be excellent. But having already seen the show, a part of me really wants to be closer. Like front row close. I may book a separate showing and go without the kids. This way I can experience the show both ways.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#295Down to One
Posted: 5/21/19 at 11:58pm

Reminder: if the staging is at it was in London, then you do not want to be close to the stage, and stage left.  You probably need to be several rows - 10? - back.

Why?

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

At the end of Paradise by the Dashboard Light, a car is pushed off the stage and is upright - blocking the view of people in those seats for quite a while.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#296Down to One
Posted: 5/22/19 at 8:41am

ggersten said: "Reminder: if the staging is at it was in London, then you do not want to be close to the stage, and stage left. You probably need to be several rows - 10? - back.

Why?

At the end of Paradise by the Dashboard Light, a car is pushed off the stage and is upright - blocking the view of people in those seats for quite a while.

"

Do we think this will be retained for the NY production?

SmoothLover
#297Down to One
Posted: 5/22/19 at 11:28am

The reviews for the show when it comes to NYC will probably influence whether houses are full or if a 2 week extension will be added.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#298Down to One
Posted: 5/22/19 at 4:06pm

Lot666 said: "ggersten said: "Reminder: if the staging is at it was in London, then you do not want to be close to the stage, and stage left. You probably need to be several rows - 10? - back.

Why?

"

Do we think this will be retained for the NY production?
"

I have no idea if that moment will be retained.  It was pretty cool when it happened - even though as another poster noted, the show added on a bit with the pit musicians which undermined the effect.  Of course, I had no idea that the show would actually make it NYC after the tour cancellations.

V2David
#299Down to One
Posted: 5/22/19 at 4:59pm

If the effect was used in the Toronto shows, my guess is they will still do it for the NYC ones (to some extent). I'm not sure though where the orchestra will be as I believe they are selling the pit tickets. The stage definitely seems as if it will be more confined then the massive Dominion Theater so there are bound to be some changes. I'm sure they will do their best though to provide the best experience they can. Nothing but campy fun.