pixeltracker

HADESTOWN to open this spring at the Walter Kerr- Page 5

HADESTOWN to open this spring at the Walter Kerr

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#100HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/8/18 at 9:04am

I loved the ending. Very reminiscent of AIDA.

bdboston
#101HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/8/18 at 10:10am

To those who have seen the show, is the storyline easy enough to follow?

Jordan Catalano
#102HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/8/18 at 10:24am

Yeah, it is.

Erzlump
#103HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/9/18 at 10:06am

I agree the story is easy to follow even without any further knowledge about Greek myths etc.

batboysings
#104HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/9/18 at 1:54pm

I saw this in London and I loved it. I had no prior experience of the show (or indeed the myth) and got along with it very nicely. There really isn't a negative feeling about this show, it's not exactly been an impossible ticket but the limited run has pretty much sold out and it got decent reviews. There was a real buzz from the audience. 

I'd love to see how this will play in another house - the Olivier Theatre at the National is a pretty unique space with some nifty stage technology built into it which allows the stage to fall and rise, which led to some really impressive moments. The poster above who claims the design was poor, you must have seen a different show.

Reeve Carney as Orpheus seems to have taken the most flack for this but I thought it was the character rather than the portrayal that was a bit weak.

I wish it luck on Broadway!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#105HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/9/18 at 2:17pm

I never thought The Great Comet was hard to follow, but I feel Hadestown is easier to follow then Great Comet.

Jordan Catalano
#106HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/9/18 at 4:45pm

^ I 100% agree with that.

Impossible2
#107HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/9/18 at 4:49pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "I never thought The Great Comet was hard to follow, but I feel Hadestown is easier to follow then Great Comet."

The problem with Comet is the Prologue introduces everyone at once and you automatically think how the hell am I going to remember all this and then it doesn't matter because it's all drip fed to you after that anyways.

I thought the 'young lover's' storylines were easy to follow in Hadestown, but the older couples storyline less so. I googled when I got home and it all fell into place.

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#108HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/9/18 at 5:19pm

What did you google?   Im sure I shall see this but might get OLCR to get me interested in seeing it.  Help with myth(s) is the show about?  Thanks

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

Impossible2
#109HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/9/18 at 5:25pm

denali.fire said: "What did you google? Im sure I shall see this but might get OLCR to get me interested in seeing it. Help with myth(s) is the show about? Thanks"

I googled the characters separately, but be aware that'll obviously give away the ending of the young couples fate.

Maybe just do the Hades and Persephone as their back story is not in the play...

https://www.greekmyths-greekmythology.com/myth-of-hades-and-persephone/

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#110HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/9/18 at 7:27pm

Thanks a lot for that!  Ill probably get the OLCR and get familiar with the music. 

Hopefully Ill get a discount code too.

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#111HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/9/18 at 8:24pm

Wait. Isn’t the Orpheus and Eurydice story/myth taught in every middle or high school here in America?

I’ll say that the way the ending was staged at NYTW was breathtaking and it almost made me forget how the story actually ends.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#112HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/9/18 at 9:01pm

musikman said: "Wait. Isn’t the Orpheus and Eurydice story/myth taught in every middle or high school here in America?"

Are you serious?
For what it's worth, I attended a top suburban High School many years ago (when things were seemingly more rigorous) and was in the advanced literature classes and we never got close to those myths.

I'll do a little homework in advance.

corthomas
#113HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/11/18 at 8:04am

I'm assuming the show schedule won't be posted until tickets are officially on sale? Crossing my fingers for a Sunday night performance...

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#114HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/11/18 at 8:39am

corthomas said: "I'm assuming the show schedule won't be posted until tickets are officially on sale? Crossing my fingers for a Sunday night performance..."

I'm hoping and expecting that it will show up at some point today.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#115HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/11/18 at 11:39am

corthomas said: "I'm assuming the show schedule won't be posted until tickets are officially on sale? Crossing my fingers for a Sunday night performance..."

Me too! That’s the best open slot on my April trip, and none of the other shows have Sun eve performances. 

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#116HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/11/18 at 11:40am

The times/dates are on TM now (at least on the app they are). No Sun eve that I can see.

corthomas
#117HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:08pm

Thanks! I'll have to do some rearranging of my current shows in order to see this one... Now, I just have to hope tickets aren't crazy expensive.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#118HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/11/18 at 1:33pm

corthomas said: "Thanks! I'll have to do some rearranging of my current shows in order to see this one... Now, I just have to hope tickets aren't crazy expensive."

Not sure when in April you are going, but there is a 7pm performance on April 21. All other Sunday performances are matinees. I'll miss that Sunday evening by a week, so I'll have to do the following Saturday matinee.

I'm sending pictures of the most amazing trees/You'll be obsessed with all my forest expertise

corthomas
#119HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/11/18 at 1:36pm

I'm actually only in town the first weekend of previews...so my only options are that first Friday or Saturday night.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#120HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/11/18 at 2:31pm

Not sure when in April you are going, but there is a 7pm performance on April 21. All other Sunday performances are matinees. I'll miss that Sunday evening by a week, so I'll have to do the following Saturday matinee.

Damn. The Sunday I need is the 28th. Wah, wah. 
"

10086sunset
#121HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/11/18 at 8:15pm

has anyone received the fan code yet?

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#122HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/12/18 at 12:12am

Not yet... came here to scope out that very thing. Maybe an overnight email blast?

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#123HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/12/18 at 7:15am

If it's similiar to the Moulin Rouge pre Sale, expect the code to be sent to you this am, probably around or before 9:00.

For people who have seen the show, any song recommendations to get a good feel for the show without giving away too much?

jjcasual
#124HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/12/18 at 8:06am

Got an email from NYTW about Workshop Night on Broadway. Does anyone have an idea of what that might mean?