pixeltracker

SIX: THE MUSICAL ON BROADWAY- Page 11

SIX: THE MUSICAL ON BROADWAY

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#250Six reviews
Posted: 6/3/19 at 5:51pm

They are wanting the Longacre  for a late March opening.  According to some queen at Sidetracks. 

theaterdrew Profile Photo
theaterdrew
#251Six reviews
Posted: 6/4/19 at 11:13pm

Caught this tonight while in town for short visit.  Went into it skeptical about whether I'd enjoy it, as I'm not a screaming diva fan.  It way exceeded my expectations.  The beginning and end are a bit rough (there was some kind of traffic jam in the choreography in the beginning where "Jane Seymour" had to scramble to get into place) but I thought each Queens' songs did a good job of differentiating each of them.  My favorites were Ann Boleyn, Ann of Cleves, and Katherine Howard.  Was not really impressed with Mueller; maybe it was an off night.  The applause was a bit subdued for her song compared to a few of the others.

This is one where it really helps to go in informed about how this show is put together and to read the playbill write-up about each queen prior to curtain-up.  If you accept the pop concert conceit, you experience the audience reaction as part of the performance.  At one point, "Anne of Cleves" told an audience member, "Not yet," when s/he whooped too early,  It worked, IMO.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#252Six reviews
Posted: 6/5/19 at 12:01am

Unrelated but wish Second Stage would bring in Cromer’s Next to Normal

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#253Six reviews
Posted: 6/5/19 at 11:50am

Bette's Turban said: "They are wanting the Longacre for a late March opening. According to some queen at Sidetracks."

I feel like they should go with a theater that's a little more intimate...

ladywholunches
#254Six reviews
Posted: 6/6/19 at 10:08pm

Another MEGASIX from Chicago
https://twitter.com/off2bwaypodcast/status/1136711109803696130

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#255Six reviews
Posted: 6/7/19 at 2:27am

The West End production had their sing-along show tonight. They posted a number of videos on their Instagram story and it looked like a BLAST! Has there ever been a show to do something like this before? I mean I know of shows that have encouraged folks to come in costume for special shows but all out sing-a-longs?

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#256Six reviews
Posted: 6/7/19 at 3:15am

Bette's Turban said: "They are wanting the Longacre for a late March opening. According to some queen at Sidetracks."

I heard the exact same thing from someone close to the Chicago production..

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

tourboi
#257Six reviews
Posted: 6/7/19 at 2:52pm

I haven’t checked the grosses lately, but does it seem likely THE PROM would be gone by then? Pending Tony’s I wouldn’t be so sure it’s viable to get in by March. 

It would seem something like the Hudson might be a better fit.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#258Six reviews
Posted: 6/7/19 at 3:11pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "Bette's Turban said: "They are wanting the Longacre for a late March opening. According to some queen at Sidetracks."

I heard the exact same thing from someone close to the Chicago production..

"

I don't know if The Prom will last past end of summer and if it doesn't and Six doesn't want to come in til spring, would the owners really keep the theater dark that long?

DCS
#259Six reviews
Posted: 6/7/19 at 7:27pm

my guess is that they are working on the theory that The Prom will, at best, last until the end of the year.  Seems unlikely, but that's how they're probably looking at this.  Then the Lyceum would work for them to arrive in late March ....this show would appear to have a very easy load-in and March would be ideal for Tony season.  I can't imagine they'd want to come in earlier as it would cause them to cancel Edmonton or even Boston, which seems highly unlikely.  I do wonder if the complete Chicago cast will play all 3 cities and all make it to Broadway.  Samantha Pauly (Katherine Howard) leaves the production June 23rd to play Evita in Regents Park in London (she'll be replaced in Chicago by Courtney Mack). And I know Adrianna Hicks (Catherine of Aragon) is set to do The Wiz at Sacramento Music Circus immediately after the SIX run in Chicago, but that's only for a couple of weeks so shouldn't interfere with her doing Boston.  Could they be looking at some more semi-familiar NY theatre names to replace some of these local Chicago performers???

YvanEhtNioj
#260Six reviews
Posted: 6/7/19 at 8:54pm

Given the numbers, do we really think it's that unlikely that The Prom will close by the end of the year?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#261Six reviews
Posted: 6/8/19 at 3:32pm

"this show would appear to have a very easy load-in and March would be ideal for Tony season."

Unless it is redesigned for Broadway, which seems likely. On a bigger budget and a bigger stage, I can see this show having a much more dazzling and visually substantial design.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

SporkGoddess
#262Six reviews
Posted: 6/10/19 at 10:22am

I saw the Chicago production this weekend and loved it! I think that this will be a huge hit.

I thought that the American accents were fine - it helped that they changed a lot of the British-specific lingo (like "mates" to "friends"Six reviews.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#263Six reviews
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:02am

I loved it. It will have a long life. Broadway and beyond. Mattie.. thanks for all the tips... re theater, pier and beyond . What a stunning theater .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

showbizkid2
#264Six reviews
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:16am

I’ve seen dozens of shows on Broadway and the West End FOR OVER 30 years haha...

THIS SHOW IS A HIT!!!!!! In my opinion it just needs two more songs though...

Can’t wait for it to be on BROADWAY. It just needs a small Theater.

Mister Matt
#265Six reviews
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:55am

Seeing it for the second time tomorrow night.  Yay!  Already have tickets for a third viewing at the end of the month.

Rogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
#266Six reviews
Posted: 6/10/19 at 1:20pm

I saw it this weekend and LOVED IT. I don’t think Longacre is a good theatre choice at all though...

Impossible2
#267Six reviews
Posted: 6/10/19 at 4:54pm

Glad you guys are loving it across the pond.

I will be having my Sixth viewing in August!

Updated On: 6/10/19 at 04:54 PM

YvanEhtNioj
#268Six reviews
Posted: 6/10/19 at 4:59pm

I agree about the Longacre. Maybe the Hudson

broadwayindie
#269Six reviews
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:14pm

Has a show been announced for after Oklahoma! for Circle In The Square? I think Six would do well largely because of the formation of Yard at Chicago Shakes is different but similar.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#270Six reviews
Posted: 6/11/19 at 12:09am

YvanEhtNioj said: "Given the numbers, do we really think it's that unlikely that The Prom will close by the end of the year? "

End of the year?? End of the summer if we're lucky, but more likely end of the month.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#271Six reviews
Posted: 6/11/19 at 12:13am

broadwayindie said: "Has a show been announced for after Oklahoma! for Circle In The Square? I think Six would do well largely because of the formation of Yard at Chicago Shakes is different but similar."

No, because Oklahoma! has not announced they're ending on January 19, they just released a new block of tix through that date. I don't really see it having the legs to last past January (if it lasts til January), but that's all tbd at this point.

I believe SIX is looking at proscenium houses.

Updated On: 6/11/19 at 12:13 AM

Mister Matt
#272Six reviews
Posted: 6/11/19 at 3:01pm

I think Six would do well largely because of the formation of Yard at Chicago Shakes is different but similar.

The configuration being used for The Yard for this show is closer to a proscenium setup.  Honestly, I'd love to see this at the Booth.

Markecib
#273Six reviews
Posted: 6/11/19 at 3:58pm

Mister Matt said: "I think Six would do well largely because of the formation of Yard at Chicago Shakes is different but similar.

The configuration being used for The Yard for this show is closer to a proscenium setup. Honestly, I'd love to see this at the Booth.
"

I was thinking if the financials work out the Booth would be a great fit. Wonder what the capitalization for a show this size would be? $5-7 million?

dphibbs94
#274Six reviews
Posted: 6/12/19 at 12:38pm

I heard a rumor that they're trying to outbid Roundabout for Studio 54 Spring 2020. RTC wants to put a show in there, but if the money's right....